Power usage with rovers and scrapper

So, I spent the weekend playing around with the new update. I had a few thoughts and wanted to hear what everyone else thinks.

Scrapper

Its neat to be able to scrap up all of the debris that is laying about and turn it into a usable resource. This has actually been the first time I have build a trade platform in ages. With the overabundance of resources and limited amount of things to use said resources for there isn't much need to do this but hopefully that will be balanced out in time (probably after the 1.0 release). 

Since the scrap is scattered about and not all of it can be put onto a slot it is almost necessary to attach the scrapper to a rover and haul it around rather than try to bring the scrap back to base. The only trouble is the scrapper uses a tremendous amount of power. I put it onto a large rover and only put 1 medium solar panel on it. Even in direct sunlight the scrapper sucked more power than the solar panel could produce and at night I was at a standstill. I thought about slapping a medium generator on it but as expensive as coal is to trade I figured using coal for fuel to make scrap and then trading the scrap for coal would become almost a wash. At that point, why use the scrapper at all? I probably should have just stuck a couple small generators on it and gathered up some organic since it is plentiful above ground. Again though, Why spend time collecting organic and scrapping debris when I don't really need the resources anyway. 

Rovers

I absolutely love the buggy (small rover) This is the best thing for exploring tunnels since 1 unit of power lasts an extremely long time. It is really maneuverable and has no issues going up a steep incline. This has become one of the first things I unlock. I'll use it for surface recon. Take off with a pack full of beacons that I can lay out to mark cave entrances, ship wrecks or resource deposits for quick and easy collection when I go out with my large rover train. Only improvement I could ask for is a double slot on the back that could hold 1 research node. It gets really old having to walk these back to the entrance of my tunnel every time I find a couple of them. 

The Medium and Large rovers seem to draw much more power than they used to (or just have smaller built in batteries). These have become almost useless under ground. Like the scrapper, maybe I just need to find a way to supplement their power supply but they just don't seem to be able to go very far without constant power. I took a train of 3 medium rover down into a tunnel. I went from the surface, down a ramp about 3 layers deep, turned around and the thing was out of juice. I can slap a couple power nuggets on it to get it back up but it gets tedious doing that over and over again. With the current issue of research falling through the ground down about 3 layers I can quickly gather up a pile of about 20+ research if I find a deep enough cave system. I just don't have a good way of quickly getting it back up to the surface. 

Power

I really do like the new power system. It is definitely an improvement over what we had a short time ago. The only thing I really want now is a better way to stockpile more power. My primary power source at my base is almost always solar but unless I have 12+ medium batteries it doesn't last through the night. I'll put a few wind turbines up but I never know if they are going to actually have wind when I need them.  Plus I would like to be able to store more power on my rovers without having to take up too many open spots. As it is now I just dig a hole and fill it full of power nuggets I collect in caves that I can plug into my rovers as needed but I would love a large battery that could store 20+ power nuggets worth of power. Gathering or generating what I need is easy. I just need an efficient way to store it all without it taking up a tremendous amount of room. 

29 minutes ago, Baconthepig said:

Scrapper

Its neat to be able to scrap up all of the debris that is laying about and turn it into a usable resource. This has actually been the first time I have build a trade platform in ages. With the overabundance of resources and limited amount of things to use said resources for there isn't much need to do this but hopefully that will be balanced out in time (probably after the 1.0 release). 

Since the scrap is scattered about and not all of it can be put onto a slot it is almost necessary to attach the scrapper to a rover and haul it around rather than try to bring the scrap back to base. The only trouble is the scrapper uses a tremendous amount of power. I put it onto a large rover and only put 1 medium solar panel on it. Even in direct sunlight the scrapper sucked more power than the solar panel could produce and at night I was at a standstill. I thought about slapping a medium generator on it but as expensive as coal is to trade I figured using coal for fuel to make scrap and then trading the scrap for coal would become almost a wash. At that point, why use the scrapper at all? I probably should have just stuck a couple small generators on it and gathered up some organic since it is plentiful above ground. Again though, Why spend time collecting organic and scrapping debris when I don't really need the resources anyway. 

Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels like this about the shredders. At this point, without any context to them, I think they're a total waste of time...

31 minutes ago, Baconthepig said:

The Medium and Large rovers seem to draw much more power than they used to (or just have smaller built in batteries). These have become almost useless under ground. Like the scrapper, maybe I just need to find a way to supplement their power supply but they just don't seem to be able to go very far without constant power.

I don't even try to drive down rover trains into caves, as the power consumption is way too high, and if you get stuck on a stalagmite or a rock on the surface, kiss half of your rover's battery goodbye. I always use a single large rover with a medium solar panel and a medium battery. But, as someone suggested in another thread, maybe the way to go is to have a medium storage and 8 small batteries powering the large rover...

36 minutes ago, Baconthepig said:

My primary power source at my base is almost always solar but unless I have 12+ medium batteries it doesn't last through the night.

12 medium batteries is kind of overkill. I usually make 5 medium solar panels and 5 medium batteries and that's enough for a night's worth of power, unless I'm smelting, printing, mineral extracting, fabricating, recharging two rovers and researching three things, all at the same time...

3 hours ago, Baconthepig said:

The Medium and Large rovers seem to draw much more power than they used to (or just have smaller built in batteries). These have become almost useless under ground. Like the scrapper, maybe I just need to find a way to supplement their power supply but they just don't seem to be able to go very far without constant power. I took a train of 3 medium rover down into a tunnel. I went from the surface, down a ramp about 3 layers deep, turned around and the thing was out of juice.

2 hours ago, vvhorus said:

I don't even try to drive down rover trains into caves, as the power consumption is way too high, and if you get stuck on a stalagmite or a rock on the surface, kiss half of your rover's battery goodbye. I always use a single large rover with a medium solar panel and a medium battery. But, as someone suggested in another thread, maybe the way to go is to have a medium storage and 8 small batteries powering the large rover...

I took a rover train with one large rover and two medium ones down to the third level of a cave. The large rover also had a large shredder equipped. The whole thing was powered by 4 small wind turbines and a small battery.

There are always windy spots in caves. When I find one, I use it to recharge the rover batteries and the small backup battery. Only rarely I had to gather power nuggets to get moving, but mostly to keep the shredder running when I didn't bother to park in a windy location. If everything else fails, I can put the small battery and one or two small wind turbines in my backpack, find a wind spot to charge the small battery, and use that to move the rover train again. But I never had to do that on the trip.

Many of you seem to underestimate wind power. Especially while being on the move when exploring, I found that I'll always get at least small amounts of wind which add up to be enough to sustain you.

Edited by Marck

I tend to load up a large rover train and process a lot of stuff at once. Running 2 research stations, smelting, printing, and fabricating all at once so I burn through power pretty quickly at night. It fills up fast during the day but that is because I usually have 8 medium solar panels. Collecting power is easy. I have a good sized hole filled with the little power nuggets. I don't even actively collect power. I just pick it up as i'm killing the spike/gas plants.  It just gets old having to move them around and attach them where needed. 

I used to take the medium rovers underground but I swear they either don't hold as much power as they used to or they draw power a lot faster. It takes less time and effort to just carry everything to the surface. I just get so tired of dragging countless research things through cave systems 2 at a time.  

As for the shredder, it is a cool concept but I hope System Era has some big plans to adjust the game and give it a little balance. I had the same complaint when they put out the mineral extractor. There is stuff all over the place and after a few hours I have more stuff then I know what to do with. Resources aren't hard to find and the last thing I need is something that allows me to generate more which sucks since this is primarily a resource gathering game. We just need more to do with the resources.

2 hours ago, Marck said:

There are always windy spots in caves. When I find one, I use it to recharge the rover batteries and the small backup battery.

Never really though about wind in caves. I always figured there shouldn't be strong enough wind in caves to generate power

Small generator for the win! One small generator and 4 organics. Run all night long with a 4 large rover mobile base. Power is prioritized to the drive train so you can always manuever.