Is researching items slightly too cheap? Progression system idea.

Carto

I feel like I can pretty much unlock everything in the game inside of a 60-90 minute play session. I know there is a balance between being demoralizing in terms of pace and just handing it out but I just feel like it all goes by too quick. Would be cool if things like the large spaceship, rover, etc were 4-5 times more expensive and the research items on the starting planet capped at X research. This would force the player to build a small shuttle to go to other planets in order to get research that is worth more. Then with the large spaceship you could go to even further planets to get even more valuable research. I feel like there is a foundation for a very solid progression system, it just isn't there quite yet. 

All that said, loving the game and excited for the future :)

Edited by Wyvyrias
Fixed title

no I think its almost perfect but they should make reseaches (my english is bad too) more rare that you need to go to the top of a mounten to find one of those thing and in the process you see how beautifull the game something like that you are forced to explore the world and that will be awasome and if you research the same object over and over that its gives less bytes and has some points where its giving no bytes at all .

THIS COMMENT IS A MESS BTW

I agree. Finding research pods in caves or a crash site I think is fine but I think a couple of things are making research go way too fast.

• The new plants and rocks with research nodes that give up to 60ish research points and respawn daily or possibly twice a day? Seems very fast.
  • Scrap is worth 500 research points and appears to research fast.
  • The biomes that have trees have lots of researchables ready to be picked that are easy to spot. If I start a game within this biome the progression is much faster.

I haven't tested the scrap yet (this evening if I have the time) but I believe I can put a large shredder and 3 research modules on 4 large rovers and go from crash site to crash site racking up bytes fast. I have already pulled a full stack of scrap off a site so I know that it is possible to quickly have all 3 research chambers working while I'm shredding. Then I can have the last of the scrap researching while I'm searching for the next crash site. 

If this is the plan intentionally then maybe we have some super structures coming that will be tens of thousands of bytes to research. I can't imagine having progression this fast unless there is some end game use for all those bytes.

On 7/11/2018 at 6:22 PM, Wary Explorer said:

I haven't tested the scrap yet (this evening if I have the time) but I believe I can put a large shredder and 3 research modules on 4 large rovers and go from crash site to crash site racking up bytes fast. I have already pulled a full stack of scrap off a site so I know that it is possible to quickly have all 3 research chambers working while I'm shredding. Then I can have the last of the scrap researching while I'm searching for the next crash site. 

So I tried this and it just isn't even close to worth it. The scrap does not research fast and I had a pack of it on my rover while hunting for wrecks. I ended up with 4 research pods from the crash sites and two more high value research pods that are much faster to research and worth several times the bytes. I parked my large shredder rover under a tree. Shredders are a novelty right now. Not really useful but kinda cool to think about.

On exploring, I'd love to do more exploring but once you lose sight of the home beacon its pot-luck if you can find it again. Like sailors of yesterday the night sky is the only reliable way to know if you're going in a consistent direction. Now a compass with waypoints at the top of the screen would be awesome, please can I have/make one?

1 hour ago, Starbuck said:

On exploring, I'd love to do more exploring but once you lose sight of the home beacon its pot-luck if you can find it again. Like sailors of yesterday the night sky is the only reliable way to know if you're going in a consistent direction. Now a compass with waypoints at the top of the screen would be awesome, please can I have/make one?

That's what beacons are for. Just before you lose sight of the home beacon (or other beacon) just place a beacon. You can change the colors of the beacons as well. Everyone should be able to explore all they want by using beacons. I've been doing it for nearly 700 hours now without issue.

As for a compass you sorta have one. You have to press and hold the left and middle mouse buttons? While hovering over your astroneer. Or something like that. There is a way to produce an image of a compass around your astroneer. 

So your assertion that "the night sky is the only reliable way to know if you're going in a consistent direction" is false. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've found the compass on the astroneer quite useful; all you have to do is hover over him/her for a second, and the compass rose pops up. I just choose a direction from base, then go that way; when I'm done exploring, going the opposite way gets me close enough to find my beacon.