I am sure it is a long known bug that east and west are reversed on the compass.  I suggest switching to a rising sun (3/4 exposed) and a setting sun (1/4 exposed) symbols.  And just take out N and S before discussion of magnetic fields being the opposite of Terra.  

I haven't checked, but I assume it shrinks and/or fades out as you approach the planet's axis.  

I’m just curious, why do you think the compass is wrong? It’s a game, the Devs can create the world, well worlds, as they see fit. I think it’s actually cool how the sun (star actually, in this case the Terran solar system’s star, which doesn’t have a name yet) rises in the “west” and sets in the “east” xD If the “purple thing” teased in the E3 trailer ends up being an alien portal thingy, and takes us to a new galaxy even, who knows? I think it’d be awesome if, down the line, we end up traveling to a system of planets with more than one sun. There’s no reason to bind this game strictly to our own notions of physics or “reality.” Many people enjoy games specifically because they allow us to use our imagination and escape the realities of life✌️

50 minutes ago, Blind Io said:

You should Google Venus. 

Good point! I do believe the OP was referring to Terran and how the use of the name suggests Earth-like qualities. I can’t be sure of course, that’s my guess though. While terra can have a few variations in meaning, it generally refers directly to earthen soil, or more specifically to Earth itself (dictionaries note this particular use is common in sci-fi). Clearly in Astroneer, Terran isn’t very Earth-like. While Terran has snow-capped mountains and other terrain features similar to our planet, it’s still an alien world we must traverse with caution, relying on a constant supply of oxygen from tanks or tether lines. While there is science behind it, Astroneer is definitely sci-fi as well xD 

A couple months ago, someone explained to me that east is the direction where the rising sun is.  If you travel in that direction - on EuroAsia - you reach the Far East.  In addition, when you get up and are out in the woods (or such), you orient yourself by noting where the sun rises - that's east.  The people who live in the far east are 'orient-als'.  

However, on an alien planet that has a magnetic field, if you face the rising sun, magnetic north could be to your left or right.  

45 minutes ago, billgus said:

However, on an alien planet that has a magnetic field, if you face the rising sun, magnetic north could be to your left or right.  

You're using a compass in this case. It tells you where North is, the other directions are determined from that, so on some planets the sun will come up in the West.

On Earth, the magnetic poles are in relatively fixed spots. If you're outside of the tropics, the sun will rise and set at quite different points on the horizon through the year, making it tricky to determine an accurate absolute direction. The difference increases the further away from the equator you are too, in some places the sun doesn't even set in summer. 

So by convention, North is used to determine the other points of the compass, rather than the sun rise. 

You're correct about the connection between the Sun and the directions though, the words were around before compasses! 

Edited by Blind Io

Except in (ancient) china where the compass south was the important direction.  South is where the rains came from.  North was just useless desert (and the huns).  I.e., the north/south instead of east is due to culture.  Just imagine being on a world with the magnetic field reversed.  

And we could get into distance too.  Nautical mile and meter are both derived from the planet's circumference.  I have seen at least one SciFi story that was aware of that.  

Let's not get into Astroneer's weird orbital mechanics.  

2 hours ago, billgus said:

I checked Dictionary.com and the Greek word that east comes from also means dawn.

On 7/5/2018 at 2:24 PM, Blind Io said:

You're correct about the connection between the Sun and the directions though, the words were around before compasses! 

2 hours ago, billgus said:

Sorry about that second quote box...