TruMoo_

Astroneer Wikia // What do (Items) do , Where to Get Resources

Lets make a topic for a wikia for astroneer, for items we dont know what items do, or where to find resources

Thanks

1 minute ago, anonvx said:

I found this odd grappling/winch thing. I also got a crane but I do not know what it is supposed to do.

I have unlocked both of those too, but all i know is you put the winch on a crane, you can craft a crain in the vehicles bay and winch in a priner. Winch is 2 titanium i dont know about the crane.

Ill update this and give you more info when i can.

19 hours ago, anonvx said:

I found this odd grappling/winch thing. I also got a crane but I do not know what it is supposed to do.

Does it fit on the truck? It has a larger hard-pint area than the rover.

Not found the winch or crane items yet. Every research item just gives me Lithium atm (onto the 9th). Any particular biome you found these items in?

The crane lets you rotate and extend it up or down, it has 2 slots on the base of it and 2 on the 'head'. You could use it to quickly move items up or down/around an area etc. You can also attach a drill bit or winch. The drill bit with the crane is way more useful than the drill bit on the front of the vehicle it seems.

The winch allows you to connect the pointy bit to anything and then it will be dragged behind the vehicle as you move. You just mouse over the pointy bit until the blue selection circle appears and then click to select it, then click something else to fix it to that object. you could use it to get objects/vehicles out of holes and be able to carry one more research object home on your vehicle (attach winch to back of vehicle, hook it into an object then put another object or two into storages

if you mouse over the bit sticking out of the winch and click on it, you can attach it to something while holding the end of the winch.

also for research, to unlock new items you have to research a new kind of research pod, researching the same kind of one will just give titanium or lithium.

Untitled.png

16 hours ago, Chernobyltoast said:

if you mouse over the bit sticking out of the winch and click on it, you can attach it to something while holding the end of the winch.

also for research, to unlock new items you have to research a new kind of research pod, researching the same kind of one will just give titanium or lithium.

Untitled.png

Thanks, I'll start planet hopping for new ones.

You should't need to go to another planet. Iv'e gotten to the point where researching something new makes the  research animation happen, with the holograms coming out of the weird sphere, but i don't unlock anything new. just look for crashed ships and rock formations with the research pods on them.

Also, I was messing around with the winch and managed to dig up a rectangular prism rock thing and take it home, as well as a crashed satellite, though the satellite bugged and got frozen facing the wrong way so it didn't make electricity.

20161219155501_1.jpg

20161219155506_1.jpg

You can use the crane with a drill head (or just a drill head on a truck for that matter) to mine resources. It is only useful on other planets or close to the center of the planet to mine what you cannot mine with the usual tool. It is bugged now though, in that it generates a nugget on a storage space of your vehicle and you cannot remove it, until it is finished. That is really annoying.

The only use for the winch i found is to drag a satellite solar panel to your base, as the previous guy said. You can then turn it so the outlet faces up using the winch and some digging. This way it produces energy. Then i took a car connected one end of it to the panel and the other one to the base and voila, a lot of free energy for my base during the day. You can also connect 2 bases using the same car method, but if you extend your base too far out, the farther end of it doesn't seem to get any energy.

The winch can be used to move shuttles out of and back into vehicle bays as well.  It is variably useful, and likely will be much more useful later on.  The drill/crane, exactly as stated.  Harvests much more quickly if you build it on a truck with a storage expansion and little storage platforms.  Build it on a truck chassis and tow with another truck.