No I'm not suggesting guns. Well, not exactly. What about as an "endgame" reward, you have to collect a marble/zebra ball (whatever you want to call it) from every planet and place it on a pedestal (high research cost, rare materials to build) and upon doing this you receive a "golden gun", a skin for your excavator that turns it gold (or even a whole new outfit for customization) it could be a temporary thing, only usable on the save file you collected it for. 

player customization already on the roadmap  :D  but yeah, putting all the marble types in one place for something besides cosmetic purposes could be nice... though i've never found a chess one

I know the customization is coming I just thought it would be a cool way to keep some of it as a reward instead of everything being immediately accessible, or possibly (please please please don't do this!) put as purchasable extras. I've only found 3 styles of marbles, not sure how many there are. I had a good amount of hours put in pre-research update and trying to get back into it after seeing the E3 announcement. 

there's still just 3... chess/checker, dalmation, zebra. but that's just according to the wiki, maybe there's others that are so rare they simply haven't been found

9 hours ago, Adam Lynch said:

No I'm not suggesting guns. Well, not exactly. What about as an "endgame" reward, you have to collect a marble/zebra ball (whatever you want to call it) from every planet and place it on a pedestal (high research cost, rare materials to build) and upon doing this you receive a "golden gun", a skin for your excavator that turns it gold (or even a whole new outfit for customization) it could be a temporary thing, only usable on the save file you collected it for. 

Rather than only being available in the save you unlocked it in, allow access in all saves but, it's much more difficult. 

4 hours ago, Ben O’Brady said:

allow access in all saves but, it's much more difficult. 

Hmmm

I would hate to think that once something was unlocked that it was always there.

As a hardcore player, the fun is in the challenge, and without a full reset that challenge is nerfed. I would vote for it as long as it didn't have to stay unlocked for everyone.

The reason I suggested making it an unlock by save rather than account is to encourage you to replay and work to collect it faster each time, so instead of getting it just as you finish that particular save you could attempt to get it early in your game. Sort of a speed run idea, what's the minimum amount of research you need to be able to collect every marble to get the gold excavator. How long does it take to find the pieces. Gives everyone something to strive for that puts even hardcore players on a similar level with the casual ones. But it also remains something that you can do as an achievement, once done and unlocked the steam /xbox /whatever achievement recognizes you did it. 

Edited by Adam Lynch

4 hours ago, bigessess said:

Hmmm

I would hate to think that once something was unlocked that it was always there.

As a hardcore player, the fun is in the challenge, and without a full reset that challenge is nerfed. I would vote for it as long as it didn't have to stay unlocked for everyone.

Good point or, maybe variants of this such as different outfits depending on what you use to make the ultimate item (such as one modifier that changes it like titanium or astronium).

Wait.. I have to change my mind.. I misunderstood.

A skin.. that is no help to any player, that could be unlocked once and left.. ya

I was under the impression it give some bonus, not just look good.

+1