SES_joe

Update 0.9.0 - July 6th 2018

2 hours ago, mikk said:

This is more a wishful promise but not a confirmation for water.

Maybe, but why is Veronica replying in the way she does? She could have denied, relativized, or not responded at all. Instead, she is effectively confirming the preceeding statement "water will exist", which in that context can only be interpreted as "water will exist in Astroneer". Given that SES is usually very cautious with such statements, what else could this mean other than a confirmation?

On 7/21/2018 at 8:43 PM, Blind Io said:

I'm not arguing with you, I'm telling you they've confirmed it. Those videos are from last year. They've said on more recent streams, and noted a few times on Discord, that the roadmap shows things that are coming.

That's the issue I have with the devs being present on Discord and not here. The info they share over a voice service is neither recorded nor transcribed and can not be referenced, whereas here, everyone in the forum can read the information they provide and share it. Are we supposed to just take your word on it?

39 minutes ago, vvhorus said:

That's the issue I have with the devs being present on Discord and not here. The info they share over a voice service is neither recorded nor transcribed and can not be referenced, whereas here, everyone in the forum can read the information they provide and share it. Are we supposed to just take your word on it?

Discord isn't just voice - it's mainly text chat, in fact. That screenshot is from Discord and was the first I found that was relevant. For those who want to look for it, it's all there.

Wow!!! I've been away from the game for awhile, it was SO captivating at first - and I still find myself thinking about it

Why? What did you all do right!? I can't put my thumb on it - but this game rocks

And this update rocks even harder

THANK YOU!!!

I just got a thank you note!  You're welcome, best game ever!

I created a solar station at the North Pole which never runs out of daylight.  Then I ran connectors all the way to my site.  Lots of copper refinement.  Unlimited power!

Thanks!

Hey, any thoughts to an advanced backpack?  Jets for flying?  More power and O2?  How about Uranium and Nuclear Power?

Thanks, best game ever, only one I play!

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:22 AM, Beren99 said:

This is exactly why the mineral extractor and many of the other current mechanics SUCK! What is even the point of looking for resources anymore let alone going to another planet? There had really better be a VERY strong set of difficulties to choose from to remove this stuff and online interactions (if they ever exist) would only be between people on the same level. I honestly don't how the infinite resources is engaging but would certainly be unfair for trade situations. We need to have reasons to explore. Please go back to the idea that is is very hard to impossible to acquire certain tech/resource types without EXPORING or at least give us a game mode like that, so I don't have to pretend that I don't have infinite energy and rss production from my lander and the dirt around it just to make the game fun!

Nobody is forcing you to not have fun.  Why are you wanting to force others to not have fun tinkering?  Calm down, and play the game the way YOU want to play it, and stop with the telling everyone else how to play.  This is a personal game with personal choices, not a dictatorship.   (/soapbox)

18 minutes ago, vvhorus said:

To those that like to hang out on Discord: any word on when the next update is coming?

Very soon. They've put it through to certification, so the rumor is that it'll be Thursday sometime after lunch Pacific Time. Expect not too much... But there might be a couple of surprises. 

They've also said that they're be another update at the end of the month to coincide with Pax, and that it'll be a biggie. Some are even betting on the arrival of the fabled Terrain 2.0!

There's not too much communication happening as they're pushing to get that update polished and all the marketing stuff that goes with showing off at a games festival.

4 minutes ago, Blind Io said:

Very soon. They've put it through to certification, so the rumor is that it'll be Thursday sometime after lunch Pacific Time. Expect not too much... But there might be a couple of surprises. 

They've also said that they're be another update at the end of the month to coincide with Pax, and that it'll be a biggie. Some are even betting on the arrival of the fabled Terrain 2.0!

There's not too much communication happening as they're pushing to get that update polished and all the marketing stuff that goes with showing off at a games festival.

Awesome! Thank you!

22 hours ago, vvhorus said:

To those that like to hang out on Discord: any word on when the next update is coming?

In the stream yesterday, Joe said early next week.

Looking forward to updates more than ever now.  "End game" seems to come faster than ever.  Looking for more to do and more adventure to discover.

On 7/28/2018 at 6:42 PM, Nargg said:

Nobody is forcing you to not have fun.  Why are you wanting to force others to not have fun tinkering?  Calm down, and play the game the way YOU want to play it, and stop with the telling everyone else how to play.  This is a personal game with personal choices, not a dictatorship.   (/soapbox)

Except that the rate of tech unlock is fixed and you can't easily "pretend" that it is harder. I feel that part of early access is about testing things and this seems a poor way to keep players interested (unless there is going to be WAY more stuff to unlock in December. I am certainly not the only one who feels there isn't even any reason to leave Terran anymore. I suggested that the easy fix is just "difficulty" settings. Let us set the resource abundance (lot of other games do this). Let us set the byte economy (from 1 item gives one tech to like 10 items to get one tech). it would be VERY easy and still let you "tinker" while others of us search the whole solar system to acquire all the tech. Also I stand by my statement that in the final game it makes no sense for items you have already researched to give the same amount of bytes. It should be between zero and ~1/10 of the original value. Im just writing in the hopes that these options will be available in 1.0

On 7/18/2018 at 2:59 PM, vvhorus said:

I hear you. That "tip" I wrote is basically my personal Astroneer meta. Every time I started a new save game, I would go straight to building a mineral extractor, a boost mod and a wide mod. After that and a small rover for recon, everything was smooth sailing. I've even done games where I didn't even collect any research pods from caves and I had no problems with bytes and unlocking stuff.

The problem with current updates and the general state of the game is, in my opinion, that SES is trickling features little by little instead of releasing big chunks for us to beta test. I think they have this mentality that the game has already released and all these updates is just free additional DLC. There's no story to go through, no puzzles, no missions, no real purposeful activities, just the same old same old, and once you unlock everything, you become a tourist, and at that point, you might as well just start over. We're just doing the same things over and over with an additional gadget or two: you start from scratch, you get compound and resin, build a research chamber, collect research pods, unlock stuff, build your base, build vehicles, collect research pods en masse, build a shuttle, pack your bags, leave the planet, rinse and repeat.

I am personally done until there's actual substance in the game...

Ahh I understand (and meant no offense). I completely agree. The amount of options and space to explore is WAY out of proportion to the amount of unique stuff to do. I have posted before that this would be helped by a much more difficult setting. I want to explore a planet where not every cave has 27 laterite deposits next to 34 malachite deposits. It will make it much more exciting when you pull up to a mass of three of them. All we need for that is a slider at game start for "resource abundance" or a difficulty that includes that. I also agree that even with that I am waiting for 1.0 in the hopes that there is much more depth to the game, bc at the moment I also feel like in my 150 hours I've "done it all".

I used bytes to unlock a car and a printer but I have no way to put it in the game???????? Can't  find any video tutorials nor could the tutorial teach me much. Please HELP

I'm still not able to see this update on Windows 10 - (non-steam store purchase).  Any idea why or how to manually install the update?

12 hours ago, Hugh Armstrong said:

I used bytes to unlock a car and a printer but I have no way to put it in the game???????? Can't  find any video tutorials nor could the tutorial teach me much. Please HELP

Which printer? (The medium printer is now no longer available) 

Rovers are printed from the vehicle bay, created via the medium fabricator like the other modules. 

The wiki can sometimes help with things that might've been missed in the tutorial. 

At this point old saves made in 0.9 should be deleted and new ones started, that’s what the Devs recommend. Old saves will likely suffer terrain seams and other major issues. The game generally flags old saves with an orange exclamation mark to let the player know those saves aren’t likely to be compatible with the new update (if a save it runs, it’s expected to have major issues as I mentioned). It will ask the player if they’re sure they want to load the old save game, accepting the risk of doing so (at least that’s how it works on Xbox One). Starting fresh is always advisable when a new update becomes available. Once the game enters full release (and after Terrain 2.0 has been put in place) I’ve heard this may no longer be necessary, old saves may be able to survive the update process intact, but I don’t really know anything about that sort of stuff we’ll just have to wait and see.

On 8/7/2018 at 8:41 AM, Blind Io said:

Which printer? (The medium printer is now no longer available) 

Rovers are printed from the vehicle bay, created via the medium fabricator like the other modules. 

The wiki can sometimes help with things that might've been missed in the tutorial. 

yes but I can not make a printer? I purchased  a printer with bytes like the rover but as said before I can not access either (or find them) even though it says "unlocked"?

I'm really not happy about the ninja change to the shuttles, in which the enclosed seat has to sit directly on top of the shuttle and cannot be on top of a large storage for it to be able to take off, essentially cutting the load capability of the large shuttle in half. That was a d*ck move...

Edited by vvhorus

35 minutes ago, vvhorus said:

I'm really not happy about the ninja change to the shuttles, in which the enclosed seat has to sit directly on top of the shuttle and cannot be on top of a large storage for it to be able to take off, essentially cutting the load capability of the large shuttle in half. That was a d*ck move...

Though that was in the new patch, it also makes new items like medium solar  and medium battery pack to 1 slot so that saves some space.

I agree it was very sneaky not to mention it though. Many good shuttles have been bricked. It may have been a genuine oversight, but... Poopy move. 

1 hour ago, Hugh Armstrong said:

yes but I can not make a printer? I purchased  a printer with bytes like the rover but as said before I can not access either (or find them) even though it says "unlocked"?

I'll repeat my response, since you've repeated the question.

The medium printer is removed from the game.

The medium fabricator makes the vehicle bay. 

The vehicle bay makes the rovers. 

10 hours ago, Blind Io said:

Though that was in the new patch, it also makes new items like medium solar  and medium battery pack to 1 slot so that saves some space.

I agree it was very sneaky not to mention it though. Many good shuttles have been bricked. It may have been a genuine oversight, but... Poopy move. 

I'll repeat my response, since you've repeated the question.

The medium printer is removed from the game.

The medium fabricator makes the vehicle bay. 

The vehicle bay makes the rovers. 

Yes asking the same question as the wiki does not help us, the medium fabricator is also "unlocked" but what does that mean? And how do we find it or use it after unlocking it? We cannot seem to do anything in the game without understanding the next action/step after unlocking something.... We have tried everything via keyboard and controllers to no avail...