SES_joe

Update 0.9.0 - July 6th 2018

Recommended Posts

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:58 AM, spinlock_1977 said:

On the down side, I'm really sick of the storms.  You might as well CRASH TO DESKTOP, since the game is essentially unplayable for a minute or more.

Well, hopefully when 1.0 is released terrain 2.0 will address that. I too am sick of the storms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still real laggy on an Xbox when you start getting a big base or multiple bases. Framerate goes way down. Is compounded when you add a multiplayer to the mix. Then framerate gets worse. Running on an Xbox One S. 

 

On another note I like the shredder but the values for scrap dont match the effort. Scrap should have a slightly higher value than other materials when trading. Thats my 2 cents worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One more thing I wish was in the game was a directional arrow should you go too far to see the home beacon the arrow can point you in the general direction of the home base so you could spend more time exploring..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2018 at 8:55 AM, jbundles said:

Great update! I love the new research samples when starting out! One suggestion - can you please make it more evident when you're running out of O2 and suffocating? I love the new icons, but the low O2  icons are easily missed when you're focused on exploring or excavating. Thank you all ?

I second this...O2 icons are just too hard to see when running out. Even on a huge tv screen..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2018 at 6:31 PM, vvhorus said:

Tip: with the mineral extractor, you can get 4 laterite or malachite out of 8 canisters of soil, which is everywhere. With boost and wide mods equipped, filling those 8 canisters usually takes me about 30 seconds or even less. I usually make my own cave entrance very close to the base, and that collected soil goes towards all sorts of resources, including titanium for research (2000+ bytes a piece) and lithium for batteries. A quick recon of the planet's surface with the small rover will provide me with at least 1 of each ore and 1 of each rare material, plus I can place beacons where large space research pods or places of interest are located. I always keep a medium storage ready with 1 of each material that the mineral extractor can produce, and because soil is everywhere, I can get basically unlimited amounts of anything I need...

This is exactly why the mineral extractor and many of the other current mechanics SUCK! What is even the point of looking for resources anymore let alone going to another planet? There had really better be a VERY strong set of difficulties to choose from to remove this stuff and online interactions (if they ever exist) would only be between people on the same level. I honestly don't how the infinite resources is engaging but would certainly be unfair for trade situations. We need to have reasons to explore. Please go back to the idea that is is very hard to impossible to acquire certain tech/resource types without EXPORING or at least give us a game mode like that, so I don't have to pretend that I don't have infinite energy and rss production from my lander and the dirt around it just to make the game fun!

Edited by Beren99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Beren99 said:
On 7/10/2018 at 1:31 PM, vvhorus said:

Tip: with the mineral extractor, you can get 4 laterite or malachite out of 8 canisters of soil, which is everywhere. With boost and wide mods equipped, filling those 8 canisters usually takes me about 30 seconds or even less. I usually make my own cave entrance very close to the base, and that collected soil goes towards all sorts of resources, including titanium for research (2000+ bytes a piece) and lithium for batteries. A quick recon of the planet's surface with the small rover will provide me with at least 1 of each ore and 1 of each rare material, plus I can place beacons where large space research pods or places of interest are located. I always keep a medium storage ready with 1 of each material that the mineral extractor can produce, and because soil is everywhere, I can get basically unlimited amounts of anything I need...

This is exactly why the mineral extractor and many of the other current mechanics SUCK! What is even the point of looking for resources anymore let alone going to another planet? There had really better be a VERY strong set of difficulties to choose from to remove this stuff and online interactions (if they ever exist) would only be between people on the same level. I honestly don't how the infinite resources is engaging but would certainly be unfair for trade situations. We need to have reasons to explore. Please go back to the idea that is is very hard to impossible to acquire certain tech/resource types without EXPORING or at least give us a game mode like that, so I don't have to pretend that I don't have infinite energy and rss production from my lander and the dirt around it just to make the game fun!

I hear you. That "tip" I wrote is basically my personal Astroneer meta. Every time I started a new save game, I would go straight to building a mineral extractor, a boost mod and a wide mod. After that and a small rover for recon, everything was smooth sailing. I've even done games where I didn't even collect any research pods from caves and I had no problems with bytes and unlocking stuff.

The problem with current updates and the general state of the game is, in my opinion, that SES is trickling features little by little instead of releasing big chunks for us to beta test. I think they have this mentality that the game has already released and all these updates is just free additional DLC. There's no story to go through, no puzzles, no missions, no real purposeful activities, just the same old same old, and once you unlock everything, you become a tourist, and at that point, you might as well just start over. We're just doing the same things over and over with an additional gadget or two: you start from scratch, you get compound and resin, build a research chamber, collect research pods, unlock stuff, build your base, build vehicles, collect research pods en masse, build a shuttle, pack your bags, leave the planet, rinse and repeat.

I am personally done until there's actual substance in the game...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vvhorus said:

I am personally done until there's actual substance in the game...

What do you suggest? Instead of telling us about how are  you "done", define what "substance" are you waiting for?

But I agree with you ... there must be something that pushes players forward. You should need to explore plenty of planets to achieve something. Find artifacts or parts of artifact, etc., etc. As for technology research, it must be tied to the exploration - planetary exploration. I believe, the different types of research points are necessary, and the tree of research, perhaps, would improve the system.

I haven't bought the game yet, I want to see whether it will avoid the fate of all these forever early access games ... I have enjoyed watching videos for the game walkthroughs, however, I will buy it when I will see a critical amount of content to break the threshold for my scepticism; for now it doesn't worth to mess with, it is really really raw in terms of content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zvex said:

What do you suggest? Instead of telling us about how are  you "done", define what "substance" are you waiting for?

I wrote in the paragraph above that line:

3 hours ago, vvhorus said:

There's no story to go through, no puzzles, no missions, no real purposeful activities

As Astroneers, we're dumped in an uninhabited planet without any sense of purpose. We're just mindlessly and unpurposely building a base and running around the planet looking for a way out, just to do it all over again on a different planet. I want to know that purpose.

Hope this clarifies that. Like you said:

1 hour ago, Zvex said:

there must be something that pushes players forward.

Right now, for me at least, there is nothing to push me forward. Having bought the game in December 2016 and spending over 220 hours in it, I pretty much feel I can not accomplish anything that interests me anymore. I won't embark in some grand project because save games break with every new update, and I like preserving my work. I'm not the type of player who self-imposes rules just to force myself into the game, either. I've already seen and experienced most of what this game has to offer. I'm ready for more, whenever the devs are ready.

1 hour ago, Zvex said:

I haven't bought the game yet, I want to see whether it will avoid the fate of all these forever early access games

Having said all that, I would encourage you to get this game. The gameplay is fun, and you'll get hours of enjoyment just exploring the procedurally-generated environments. The game has a December launch date, and here you can see the development roadmap as to what we should expect upon release. Like I said, I have over 220 hours in game and I don't regret a single minute, except the time I spent collecting scrap. ?  But if you prefer to wait for more content, I won't hold it against you...

Edited by vvhorus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vvhorus said:

Right now, for me at least, there is nothing to push me forward. Having bought the game in December 2016 and spending over 220 hours in it, I pretty much feel I can not accomplish anything that interests me anymore. I won't embark in some grand project because save games break with every new update, and I like preserving my work. I'm not the type of player who self-imposes rules just to force myself into the game, either. I've already seen and experienced most of what this game has to offer. I'm ready for more, whenever the devs are ready.

307 hours here and I feel the same way. It has been a fun game but it hasn't really changed since I started playing it. I'll lay off for a couple of weeks then get bored and start playing again for a few days then lay off again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, vvhorus said:

Having said all that, I would encourage you to get this game. The gameplay is fun, and you'll get hours of enjoyment just exploring the procedurally-generated environments. The game has a December launch date, and here you can see the development roadmap as to what we should expect upon release.

Oh, it seems very clear and intense. How close were the actions to the roadmap in the past? The communication of devs team seems very open, maybe I should trust them more than other devs of forever early access ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zvex said:

Oh, it seems very clear and intense. How close were the actions to the roadmap in the past? The communication of devs team seems very open, maybe I should trust them more than other devs of forever early access ...

As it states, the roadmap is a work plan for the devs not a release schedule. That said, there hasn't been anything I can recall that's 'fallen off' the plan, in fact we usually get more content than it suggests. Some things may get delayed, but they've made clear they've got a path for the next few months. 

The team is very aware that the sci-fi fans who like this game might have heard of another indie space game that claimed to be finished a few years ago but is only very soon to include the features that were due on release ;)

Most people agree that the team is very engaging, though there have been some struggles in the last couple of months due to workload. I'm not very exposed to early access games but from what I've heard you're right to be wary - in this case I'm absolutely certain that this team is here to stay. 

I think all of us with a few hundred hours in the game are really hanging on for some new content, which has been a bit lacking in the last few updates as they tweak performance and get ready for the 2 big overhauls coming soon in Multiplayer and Terrain. 

You can easily sink 100+ hrs into the game as it is right now, playing with the terrain and mechanics etc. For $20 or thereabouts it's great value and will certainly only get better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My son and I are really enjoying the update. Some issues are the mentioned "I get in but can't drive, I get out and back in and can drive again", notifications are difficult to see and lead to suffocation,  as well as the mentioned lack of need for shredders (extractors already do it all) beyond the aesthetics of cleanup which isn't complete until all components that are classified as "debris" are shreddable. Overpopulation of byte-giving plants/ rocks isn't an issue per se as much as it is (again) unnecessary and allows for even less exploration for unlocking production items. What we have noticed in just under 100 game hours (beyond the mentioned items) are:

1) When joining another player (1), player (2) is unable to place items onto medium and large rovers. The ends of the rovers somehow allow placement, but not on top? This requires player (1) to come "rescue" player (2) if objects are accidentally removed from those rovers.

2) A large storage is permitted on a (small) shuttle, yet a seat placed on it will not allow takeoff, rendering the entire shuttle useless.

3) New element discovered! Astronium sp? seems to have no purpose yet

4) Not an issue but... Fuel vs. seat type vs. shuttle size seem to have no effect on the range of shuttles, at all, for any purpose. If you have a seat and fuel, you reach the same distance regardless of combination above. Not to mention the lack of need to even leave the "Terran" planet to begin with. Why leave? Arid will surely kill you, Tundra has Titanium, sure, because you need fifteen winches? Not worth the ride.

Overall we do truly enjoy the game and will continue to play. A medium solar and medium battery are our choice for the medium rover, never runs out. I am excited to try the combinations of power/ storage discussed in this forum as well as the "mobile base" ideas. By the way, lag is a real nightmare. Even on the same WiFi we have to wait two-thirds the time it takes player (1) to reach a location before player (2) catches up. Making all discoveries for himself (player (1)) before player (2) even realizes they exist. Our best defense against this is to only be together on the moon (Barren). We guess this is because of the small size of said.

Although we hope for the best for Terrain 2.0, it might be unrealistic for us to expect water as an element due to the issues described in other posts here.

Happy planeteering!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Benjamin Heddwyn said:

Although we hope for the best for Terrain 2.0, it might be unrealistic for us to expect water as an element due to the issues described in other posts here.

Liquids will be coming after the 1.0 release, which is in December. Terrain 2.0 is due some time before then, so the two won't come together! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Blind Io said:

Liquids will be coming after the 1.0 release

 

This is not confirmed. They would like to do but they are unsure if they can do because water is a difficult task. I wouldn't expect it at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Blind Io said:

Yes it is. 

 

No it isn't. As for features beyond 1.0 nothing is confirmed. They may have a wishlist and ideas but nothing is confirmed at this point. It is way too early to tell for sure. They only confirmed that they will bring updates beyond version 1.0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, mikk said:

 

No it isn't. As for features beyond 1.0 nothing is confirmed. They may have a wishlist and ideas but nothing is confirmed at this point. It is way too early to tell for sure. They only confirmed that they will bring updates beyond version 1.0.

They've confirmed the roadmap several times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Blind Io said:

They've confirmed the roadmap several times.

 

 

No it isn't. The entire development roadmap is no confirmation for anything because roadmaps may change over time and we have seen for a couple of times they did remove or postponed several features. That's why it is a development roadmap and not a release roadmap. Even worse the beyond 1.0 list is just a rough ideas mockup what they would like to add or work on in the future, not one single feature there is confirmed at this point. They cannot confirm any beyond 1.0 feature because they can't know at his point. Beyond 1.0 is something for next year. In the past they told us they would like to add water at some point and it is under consideration. Confirmation nope.

https://youtu.be/0O4jZsQQo0E?t=208

https://youtu.be/JtvuK7UK730?t=260

 

No confirmation as you can hear.

 

 

Edited by mikk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikk said:

No confirmation as you can hear.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm telling you they've confirmed it. Those videos are from last year. They've said on more recent streams, and noted a few times on Discord, that the roadmap shows things that are coming. I'm not discussing this any further. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

I'm telling you they've confirmed it

Some guy on the internet is claiming something and is backing it up by referencing source material from the people who are actually in a position to make the discussed feature a reality. Then there is another guy who says something different but does not provide any references which would allow to verify the claim.

Guess which claim I will consider to be more likely to reflect the reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marck said:

Some guy on the internet is claiming something and is backing it up by referencing source material from the people who are actually in a position to make the discussed feature a reality. Then there is another guy who says something different but does not provide any references which would allow to verify the claim.

Guess which claim I will consider to be more likely to reflect the reality.

Here's one from the source I referenced, the producer of the game, Veronica. I'd hoped to save myself the effort and maybe rely on a little good will between fans. I'd really prefer to stop this. 

20180722_181648.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Blind Io said:

Here's one from the source I referenced, the producer of the game, Veronica.

Thank you.

This does indeed look as close as possible like an official confirmation from the producer of Astroneer that there will be liquids in the game at some point in time. This is great.

And I find it especially amazing because SES more often than not appears to shy away from such statements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is more a wishful promise but not a confirmation for water. I would be very cautios with such a uncertain promise from a game dev without clear evidence, we don't even know if they have started working on water. She mentioned the roadmap which is pointless because their beyond 1.0 feature list is a  preliminary list of ideas. There is no beyond 1.0 feature officially confirmed yet and it is not a given this Roadmap will stay at it is which is doubtful. They postponed and removed lots of features in the past.

We haven't seen screenshots or a video with water running yet and nothing is somewhere confirmed in their official channels: youtube/twitter, forum, there is no official message for water we could reference with a link. The last official standpoint is they would like to add water and it is under consideration.

Edited by mikk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mikk said:

This is more a wishful promise but not a confirmation for water.

Maybe, but why is Veronica replying in the way she does? She could have denied, relativized, or not responded at all. Instead, she is effectively confirming the preceeding statement "water will exist", which in that context can only be interpreted as "water will exist in Astroneer". Given that SES is usually very cautious with such statements, what else could this mean other than a confirmation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.