SES_joe

Update 0.9.0 - July 6th 2018

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

#2 I have no idea why we even have them.

Exactly. And SES made the byproduct of cleaning up a new and unnecessary tradeable resource. Anyone can get any type of resource without even walking a few meters from your base or the need for scrap to trade. Like I said, I hope there's more context coming for this mechanic, otherwise it's just a waste...

Edited by vvhorus

am i the only one having an issue where after a while you can't click items anymore, i.e. i can't interact with organics in my backpack or on platforms to be able to do anything with them.  i haven't localized a specific pattern of actions that makes this occur, only that it has happened after an hour or so of gameplay twice.

this is occurring in a brand new game I created in 0.9.0.0, not an old save.

13 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

They don't have to be yanked off. Just hover over them and press/hold "E"

Also, I don't agree at all with the quote. I agree it is a direct quote. I don't agree that starting gameplay needs smoothing out
Smoothed out for who? Or is it whom? Regardless, smoothing out? Can someone explain to be what the hell is so bumpy about starting gameplay? And, if it is so bumpy then why not fix what is causing the unsmoothiness rather than adding a patch like 'nuts and bolts' on plants? 

The entire thing seems rather hodge podge to me. All/most other artwork looks great, has a flow, work well together, makes sense, feels correct etc.
Then nuts and bolts on plants?
Then nuts and bolts on rocks?
Then a kiddie cartoony yellow Z when I'm using energy? 
I like the look/feel/colors/artwork before .9. These latest changes are so extremely Fugly.  

Yeah, I know but I barely press/hold "E" anymore, the only place I use it, is to exit the rover. I've switch over to the ALT + Click and CTRL + Click to interact with pretty much everything, it's way faster. :) You just need to remember to put away the terrain tool before using it.

What I was getting at with the harvestables, is that it's not like you can use them in the research chamber or anywhere else, so what's the point of allowing players to remove them off these formations or plants, that's what I was getting at.

As for the smoothness, it seems more like the bumpiness is the creation of their own making. If you've explored the lower caverns on Terran, you probably noticed that the artifacts are still falling through. This issue was reported months ago but still hasn't been dealt with. This makes it quite difficult to get started if the artifacts aren't where they're supposed to be.

I do agree with you about the nuts & bolts looking harvestables and notification tags, they seem to be lower quality work compared to the rest of the assets in the game so far. Perhaps it has to do with deadlines that they're trying to meet but who really knows.

13 hours ago, vvhorus said:

Are we now a clean-up crew instead of explorers?

Well you seen people walking in ditches along major highways picking up cans and bottles, this is pretty much the same thing. How much do you value your time?

After a few hours of play:

1. Agree with everyone Oxygen level warnings need to be more obvious. I like the old ones that told me 50%, 25%. Nearly died multiple times and I'm pretty good at making sure my oxygen levels are good before this patch.
  2. Love the scrap using a mobile scrapper. some sites  can give you 8 scrap after you have shredded all the debris. Each scrap worth as much as 1 refined aluminum or copper. Can trade 8 scrap for 8 laterite and refine or malachite and refine.
    1. I would like to be able to scrap platforms and other items. If we are cleaning up the planet we should be able to scrub a site clean.
  3. Thank you for fixing the hard line between the base and terrain. That was annoying!
  4. Dev's: Would love to be able to manipulate the terrain better especially when building underground bases. Seen lots of great videos on making terrain seamless and done plenty myself but it is extremely time consuming to make it right. Tools to make terrain 90 degree, 45 degree, 0 degree would be awesome for building ramps, walls, etc...

Tips:

Don't overlook the small generator! Small generator with 4 organic will run your large rover all night. Power priority goes to the drive so even if you are shredding, researching, smelting, etc... you can still drive all night. I have run 4 large rovers together.

For everyone having trouble with mobile bases here is my setup that worked well (before this patch with the shredder so substitute shredder in here somewhere?

First rover two large storage, open seat on the front of the rover (getting out of the seat launches you straight up in the air...land on the rover or get hurt!). Put medium storage on front with small generator and loaded with organic (I also have a work light). Normally have a couple more medium storage on the rover. Second rover, large storage and printer. Third rover 2 research chambers (yes you can do this). Fourth rover Large storage and smelter. Dedicate the second large storage to 4 medium solar arrays. 2 of them will be active all the time (the angle). You will want your smelter rover to have medium storages on the large storage to put all the refined ore. Any time you get to a cave you want to explore just detach the first rover, you have the generator to run all through the cave and plenty of storage with 2 large storage on top. Leave your other 3 rovers up top to do research and smelt with all the solar arrays while you are exploring. I find I can barely keep up with the research chambers which is cranking out the bytes.

I've seen plenty of people indicating they use batteries...I just don't. Takes up space. I use night time for exploring caves.

Now that we have the shredder...currently running a large shredder, research chamber ( only 3 large rovers right now on a new save).

Something fun to do: Build a north pole base ( you know you have a compass if you put the cursor/tool over your character without deploying right?). If you put the base exactly on the north pole you and build up (mine was above a mountain) you will have light all the time. Used platform D's back to back with solar arrays for power. Use that mobile base to get to the north pole exploring as you go!

Plug to Z1 gaming. He has great videos. Most of my ideas come from watching him play.

2 hours ago, Wary Explorer said:

Each scrap worth as much as 1 refined aluminum or copper. Can trade 8 scrap for 8 laterite and refine or malachite and refine.

Tip: with the mineral extractor, you can get 4 laterite or malachite out of 8 canisters of soil, which is everywhere. With boost and wide mods equipped, filling those 8 canisters usually takes me about 30 seconds or even less. I usually make my own cave entrance very close to the base, and that collected soil goes towards all sorts of resources, including titanium for research (2000+ bytes a piece) and lithium for batteries. A quick recon of the planet's surface with the small rover will provide me with at least 1 of each ore and 1 of each rare material, plus I can place beacons where large space research pods or places of interest are located. I always keep a medium storage ready with 1 of each material that the mineral extractor can produce, and because soil is everywhere, I can get basically unlimited amounts of anything I need...

3 minutes ago, vvhorus said:

Tip: with the mineral extractor, you can get 4 laterite or malachite out of 8 canisters of soil, which is everywhere. With boost and wide mods equipped, filling those 8 canisters usually takes me about 30 seconds or even less. I usually make my own cave entrance very close to the base, and that collected soil goes towards all sorts of resources, including titanium for research (2000+ bytes a piece) and lithium for batteries. A quick recon of the planet's surface with the small rover will provide me with at least 1 of each ore and 1 of each rare material, plus I can place beacons where large space research pods or places of interest are located. I always keep a medium storage ready with 1 of each material that the mineral extractor can produce, and because soil is everywhere, I can get basically unlimited amounts of anything I need...

My game play has changed since I discovered mobile bases. I'm not at home base very often but when I was not roaming all the time I found my mineral extractor constantly pumping out compound. Lots of large storage, medium storage and I would rarely extract anything but compound and resin. Especially on other planets. Even loading up a medium storage with canisters and using a crane to strip mine I would come back and extract all compound and occasionally resin.

This last game I haven't even printed a mineral extractor. I'm finding plenty of compound just running around so I have been using scrap to get more laterite and malachite.

However, in strictly game efficiency you are right. Mineral extractor is certainly easier to use. Soil is everywhere. I am trying to enjoy the game with the new shredder and giving it every opportunity to win me over. I'm sure game balance will adjust where necessary and if/(when?) we get to where we can shred platforms, vehicles, crashed satellites and other large debris I will be more the happier. It is sort of like finding stacks of laterite and malachite on the surface of the starting planet.

...I'm not liking the research clickables on plants and rocks. I feel it really takes away from finding the research pods. Way too common a find.

5 minutes ago, Wary Explorer said:

I am trying to enjoy the game with the new shredder and giving it every opportunity to win me over.

I personally don't see the appeal of it. For me, shredders needed additional utility, not just to produce blocks of scrap that you can trade with. I built the medium one on a large rover, and after a few minutes of driving around, I just stopped. I really can't see myself roaming the planet looking for debris. Hopefully in future patches SES will add more context to them and a solid reason for me to use them.

12 minutes ago, Wary Explorer said:

...I'm not liking the research clickables on plants and rocks. I feel it really takes away from finding the research pods. Way too common a find.

I kind of like them, but you are right. Between those and the research pods that you can get from trees on the surface or from wrecks, I almost feel like you don't need to go inside caves any more...

6 minutes ago, vvhorus said:

Hopefully in future patches SES will add more context to them and a solid reason for me to use them.

Like maybe building space ports, space stations or other super structures? Yes that would give us all a reason to scour the planet looking for scrap that ... otherwise.... can't be found anywhere in the solar system? Man I liked the idea until that point there... Still...having a use for it like building larger structures would get everyone powering up their mobile shredders and hunting for debris.

The small shredders are worthless. I don't think I will ever print one. If you do it again the bigger one at least gives you some satisfaction cleaning up a site and having a stack of scrap to show for it; but since we can't shred the larger items like platforms, vehicles, satellites it does feel incomplete when you are "done".

38 minutes ago, Wary Explorer said:

Like maybe building space ports, space stations or other super structures? Yes that would give us all a reason to scour the planet looking for scrap

This would give me that solid reason to mount the medium shredder on a rover and shred the night away. I'm willing to bet that we will need tons of scrap to build that large space platform, and maybe this patch was just the prelude to its buildable state in the game in the next two patches or so...

5 minutes ago, vvhorus said:

maybe this patch was just the prelude to its buildable state in the game in the next two patches or so...

That is an exciting thought! I've been reading the suggestions and ideas...particularly the most frequent suggestions and confirmed features here 

#2 about modular design has me excited...though I don't really see it on the road map like it is explained in the bullet points (vehicle modules, etc). However, I can see scrap being an integral part of those designs.

the new epdate has completely broken my game. it repeatedly crashes no mater how may reinstalls i do and what "fixes" i do

Having played several hours of the new update I can firmly say that the only thing that is really annoying right now is the notifications for oxygen levels. Whilst the icons are nicely designed they are way too small and are easily missed. This is made worse by the fact that the audio warning for oxygen levels seems to have been made quieter.

i vote to bring back the old style, with the new oxygen icon replacing the word oxygen and scaled the the 50% and 25% warnings. Also, revert the audio level of the oxygen warnings to what it was before this patch please.

After two play sessions, I still prefer the old power indicators. They were differentiated in shape, which made them more distinct. The new icons have the bolt as the dominant visual element, so it always reads as "something happened with power"

Shredders are interesting to play with now; I'm not yet sure I'll use them often in the future. Still not sure what the smaller one is for - I'd like to put it on the crane and start demolishing the big wrecks, but it doesn't even open. Seems odd that I can scrap large wrecked platforms but not T2 platforms. Would like to scrap leftover extenders and other items. Would like to see some debris get thrown off when blowing up the large wreckages. (Perhaps organic bits from trees)

Batteries does seem to be in a fairly good place. Mobile shredder was a bit of a bit trial at first, but once I got a medium battery on it, I rarely have to feed the generators.

The harvestables feel a little out of place. Running around clicking on things that disappear in a shower of sparkles feels more appropriate for a game about fairies or magic than space exploration.

I agree with @wondible regarding the harvestables. There seem to bee too many, maybe slow down the regeneration time would fix it. At the moment it is just like jump in and out of the buggy doing a big round-about the base to get a few hundreds or even thousands of bytes. This is cool in the early stage of the game (so maybe the number of harvestables is good) but removes the need of doing research (might be fixed when they regenerate wayy slower).

The shredder is cool, but at the moment you have to move it around. It would be nice in the future to have something like a truck or maybe a large magnet to gather shreds and wrecks, bring them back home, and shred them close to the base.

However, overall I like the update. Seems that I've lost 1 fps or so, but overall it runs quite smooth except some things I've noticed:

• new rovers do not charge. After firing it up with something it starts charging. But that is not how it is intended, I think.
  • one of the wheels of my truck got once buried. Not too much of a problem as I had it out of the dirt after 20 secs or so, but seems to be a bug.
  • once or twice I jumped into the buggy but it did not move at all. After exiting/entering again it worked fine.
  • not sure, but the power capacity of the vehicles (especially the medium rover) is relatively limited. After 300 meters the internal battery is empty. On the other hand the range with one organic is quite good. This is somehow annoying, on the other hand it now makes organics very useful (so I think I like it).

34 minutes ago, reto said:

the power capacity of the vehicles (especially the medium rover) is relatively limited. After 300 meters the internal battery is empty.

That makes a good argument for why we even have batteries on the rovers in the first place. If we're going to tie up slots on the rover to provide power than were better off having replaceable batteries on the rover and charging stations at the base. Or perhaps maybe different types of engines that run on organic, coal, steam engine or whatever else they can provide. Using the buggy is a lot of fun but pretty much useless for hauling anything besides tier one stuff. Maybe adding a small trailer behind it could be handy.

I don't think that the buggy should get extensions. I think it is quite well placed as a "move faster than by foot for exploring, but not for transport"-thing. And, as I mentioned, the medium rover is quite useful as soon as one does not forget to carry some source of power. I am just not used to it as it was different in the old days. Nevertheless, have fun playing! :)

Every time I place a tether I get major frame drop and my game freezes for about 5 to 10 seconds.  I am not sure what is triggering this next issue but I am unable to click anything during gameplay, I can not open my backpack either. It forces me to restart the game and when I log back in within a matter of 20 minutes I am unable to click on things again. Would love a solution for this since it is not playable.

xbOx one s as much as I love the new updates on xbox the game is still rather unplayable, as soon as you get to the point where your ready to move planets the game is so slow it's just unplayable. 

On 7/7/2018 at 11:45 PM, Blind Io said:

In terms of battery capacity, 8 small is the same as 1 medium. It's also much more expensive to use smalls!

I don't understand why people have an issue with rover power either... 

never have NE power issues always use a small storage on back with 4 small solar on top and 4 wind under , and large rov  times that by 2 then normally have a small store full of Batts on lead rover with 1 or 2 organ gens on front that can be activated while driving if low on juice

no matter how much stuff I shred I never will run out of power 20 medium solar panels  22 medium battery's 10 wind turbines and thats not counting the one on my truck I use for mobile shreding

Love the new release!  I'm especially intrigued by the 'wrecked' spaceport.  It's got me wondering if we'll soon be building our own 'working' space ports.

On the down side, I'm really sick of the storms.  You might as well CRASH TO DESKTOP, since the game is essentially unplayable for a minute or more.

On 7/15/2018 at 9:58 AM, spinlock_1977 said:

On the down side, I'm really sick of the storms.  You might as well CRASH TO DESKTOP, since the game is essentially unplayable for a minute or more.

I couldn't agree more! I have begun to exit out of the game and then back in again which removes the storm. I don't really like doing that but the storms are too numerous, too annoying & too boring

On 7/15/2018 at 8:58 AM, spinlock_1977 said:

Move your base underground. Put all your power up top, run extenders into your underground base (will take 15 or more) and you basically have the shielding around your base that people have been requesting.

40 minutes ago, Wary Explorer said:

Move your base underground. Put all your power up top, run extenders into your underground base (will take 15 or more) and you basically have the shielding around your base that people have been requesting.

The issue for me in doing what you suggested (I've done it before) is that I miss out on 90% of the game's beauty always being underground. While it may solve the storm issue it creates another issue; the ugly issue. The game above ground is much more appealing to my eye than playing in the caves.
Then I have to save one or two slots for a light
Then the rovers work like ?
Then there are no mountains to climb