SES_joe

Update 0.9.0 - July 6th 2018

Haven’t played much of the new update yet, so I’ll only share a few impressions. AS-3097 I think it is, the one where I’d always see the base’s landing pad in the corner of my character’s camera flickering? I hope that’s taken care of as that was a low impact yet annoying little bug! I’ll have to check that out. As for the new iconography for power and oxygen, sorry Devs not liking this one. While I’m glad the very large text has been rethought, these icons are just too wide, yet small (squatty I guess?) to convey much meaningful info. I’m terms of oxygen status, the icons just don’t convey the proper sense of urgency. Maybe they work out ok on PC, but they aren’t discernible on my 65” TV. I’m playing in the master bedroom (in my bed, because I’m severely limited by chronic back pain) where I struggle to read any of the text in game. It’s difficult to see the Byte values on the research module. I memorized which actions require holding X or Y, because it’s almost impossible to discern which letter it is at the distance I’m playing and viewing from. I wear bifocals and while I do need a stronger script, it isn’t just that. My son (14) says he can’t read them either, and he’s used to reading small print on screens. I just don’t think the tiny new icons are as effective overall in communicating to the player, especially when it comes to the urgent SUFFOCATION warning, which is the most important notificarion imo. Not trying to nitpick here, just providing some feedback. I’m always interested to hear what others think. As for power indicators, I’m not sure the new iconography is necesssry at all. The old plus and minus indicators seemed fine although I can imagine (based on the VLOG) there’s a goal to have unification across the display system. I don’t remember in my limited time so far if the auditory cue for battery full in backpack is still there, but I hope it is. I relied on that heavily. Again, I’ll need to go back and check on that.

Maybe we’ll end up with some sort of option for a minimal HUD (I wouldn’t be opposed to this notion, but the Devs have seemed reluctant to include a HUD and most players seem to prefer a HUD-less design). While I do enjoy the clean look of the UI, I wouldn’t be averse to a menu option for oxygen display, at a minimum. The floating O2 indicators don’t help me, not as an Xbox One player using a 65” 4K TV. They don’t tell me the critical info I need to know, at least not that I can readily view and discern, like the following: (1) what percentage of oxygen I’ve reached (50%, 25% etc) and (2) when I’ve reached critical “suffocation” level. Some may ask, why not just listen for the suffocation sounds? There are a couple of issues with this, but it boils down to personal reasons. I play mostly at night, and I okay for many hours at a time. I don’t like having the game audio turned up because I don’t want to disturb others. I have headphones and earbuds, but none of them is comfortable enough to wear for long periods of time (more than a couple of hours or so, and I play way more than that in any given day). Whether I use headphones or my speakers, I keep the audio low regardless. While there are several reasons, including my wish not to disturb others, I also find the suffocation warning sounds rather unpleasant. I’ll admit they’re not as bad as they used to be. The extremely realistic, harsh gasping noises we used to have were downright awful, bringing back memories of my father’s emphysema before he ultimately succumbed to the disease :( While the suffocation sounds have been dialed back and tamed a bit, they’re still too much imo (just my opinion, nothing more) so I prefer to not have them very loud. I realize there’s a point where it’s impossible to mimic suffocation without gasping. I’m not sure the suffocation warning must include realistic (or somewhat so) auditory simulations of respiratory distress, but that’s up to the Devs. I guess I would suggest the Devs consider the general audience (including children) who may play this game especiallly after the full release of 1.0 and ask themselves if these noises or sounds might be frightening to young children, or otherwise potentially traumatizing to people. Again, it’s only feedback, not saying it should be changed. I often wonder if the gasping, the loud thrumming heartbeat, bother anyone else? Even stranger, it’s accompanied by musical notes. Seems very bizarre. I’m still deeply psychologically conditioned to one of the audio pieces in Astroneer’s soundtrack whenever it plays, reflexively checking my oxygen status. The audio track was used for awhile as a musical cue for suffocation. It’s been disassociated for months, longer perhaps, but it still causes me to check my tanks reflexively?

One thing I noticed with this update and the last (0.8) and perhaps one or more updates before, but I’m not sure why this happens, when I logged in on my Xbox One only some of my old saves were flagged not all of them. I’m not sure why this would be the case? This may be a bug in the flagging process. I don’t have any way of knowing when I started each save (I hope at some point, either by 1.0 or some point beyond) we’ll be able to view some info about our game saves (including for those of us on Xbox) maybe it could be incorporated into the game save itself somehow as an “Astroneer’s Journal” so we could see our save’s start date (journey start date), hours played so far, total accumulated Bytes so far, Bytes spent, planets visited, etc. I think that would be a really cool feature! I’m guessing it’s been suggested before, just never looked. Anyway, looking forward to checking out the rest of the update?

I will add to others who would like to be able to transport the debris to our base for scrapping in the Shredder. I don’t make mobile bases, and didn’t have any plans to load a Shredder onto a vehicle and use one that way (my impression from the VLOG was that all debris would not only have interaction “rings” but attachment points as well, I’m reasonably sure that’s what was intended). If the debris doesn’t have attachment points in this update, I’m sure the Devs can add that in for the next update (or hotfix, if one ends up being needed for any reason). Seems like a very reasonable thing to do. Not everyone will want to mount up a Shredder to a vehicle, and expecting all players to do so in order to reap the benefits of the Shredder via trading salvage as a resource doesn’t seem like something the Devs would go and force players to do. I’m sure the system will continue to be fleshed out, just like they said they intend to continue balancing it as well. However, this does seem like a good time to revisit the vehicle beacon issue. I understand the desire to decrease clutter, but after using the vehicles sans beacons (and I don’t use vehicles all that much, only about mid-game onward and limited to 1 small rover and a medium rover 2-chain on Terran, that’s usually all beyond a large shuttle and maybe, maybe a rover or two offworld if I make it offworld) I’ve come to the conclusion it’s just such a pain to remember planting a beacon along side my vehicle it’s not worth the hassle. I usually forget to put one down, thinking I won’t stray far, but inevitably I do. I may go harvest some resources, but then one of the storms comes along (please don’t get me started ugh) and I’ll end up surfacing somewhere else with no idea where my vehicle is (and they’re impossible to see at night, which is still way too dark). No matter what comes of the vehicle beacon issue, please add some reflective stripes something to make all vehicles and spacecraft high visibility at night! I’m surprised no one has thought of this before. At least spacecraft usually have some bright purple hydrazine in their tanks which makes them much more easy to spot, but vehicles don’t. They should have some highly reflective stripes or something on all sides, maybe glow-in-the-dark tires (lol) anything to help a player find them in pitch darkness or down in caves. I’m confident the Devs can come up with something to help us out. Still think vehicle beacons should be added back. I’d suggest making it to where if vehicles are in a train, attached together, only one vehicle beacon per train is “activated” to reduce skybox clutter. So 1 vehicle= 1 beacon, 2 vehicle train = 1 beacon, etc. If you separate them though, the return to 1 vehicle = 1 beacon. Idk that may be too problematic to code for, but if it would work, it would be great. Hope someday we can get additional options for beacons (to broaden their utility by expanding the info they can convey) such as adding icon shapes (icons within the beacon itself, like choosing to display a treasure chest icon, a wreck icon, an exclamation mark, etc) maybe even displayable numbers for beacons. Just some ideas regarding beacons.

Thanks so much for fixing the “hard terrain” issue around the main habitat. That was incredibly frustrating, but I knew y’all would fix it. So happy!???

It’ll be awhile before I’m ready to go offworld exploring, but thought I’d mention there may be a bug with shuttles and how people are ale to use storages with enclosed seats on top. Afaik, the Devs intend players to mount an enclosed seat (1 or 3 seat) directly to the shuttle frame (no storage in between shuttle and seat) in order to launch and control said shuttle. I’d heard (at least I thought I had) the single open seat could no longer be used. I’ve been informing Xbox One players in a club for Astroneer about this, but one player stated this was incorrect, that the open seat has worked all along to launch shuttles. I’m not sure, I don’t use open seats for shuttles anyway. I read the Patch Notes above stating the printable hab (dropship) shouldn’t deploy anymore when placed on a shuttle, but that doesn’t specify about launching a shuttle. I thought a prior patch specified these habs, or dropships, could no longer be used to launch shuttles regardless of placement (directly on shuttle frame, or atop a large storage). It would be awesome to have some clarification from the Devs but short of that, perhaps next patch could see all of this cleared up. I thought I recall hearing somewhere the Devs intended only enclosed seats to be used to launch, and only if attached directly to shuttle frame but I could be mistaken. If that’s correct, the small shuttle shouldn’t have an option to add large storage, and the large shuttle should have the option to add only one large storage. Again, this is all entirely up to the Devs to figure out, I have no idea what their intent is ultimately I’m just seeking clarification once and for all. Just pointing out there were some past patches where I thought certain things were no longer allowed, but now that’s been questioned so yeah I’m confused. I haven’t tried to build all the possible combinations myself, not in 0.8, and it’ll be awhile before I can try in 0.9. In a previous thread here on the official forum, someone demonstrated they were able to place 2 large storages on their large shuttle and were still able to use the enclosed seat mounted on one of the storages to launch and control the shuttle. Just wanted the Devs to clarify if that was indeed the intended behavior. If it’s not, I guess we’ll see some revised launch and building guides. Thanks (and sorry if that was confusing).

Looking forward to checking everything else out :)

I can only select and move 1 seats and the occasional wheel off of a wrecked rover. I was under the impression that the larger shredder was supposed to shred everything, but I can't move most of the items that it's supposed to be able to shred. I'm on Win10. Any thoughts or solutions?

Kaspersky is reporting this new update as infected, Obviously a false positive, but still. :(

13 minutes ago, twayney said:

Kaspersky is reporting this new update as infected, Obviously a false positive, but still. :(

Reading comms about this, looking into it, looks like it might be related to our game analytics tool, but is completely harmless.

I assumed it was harmless, but with Kaspersky Free, at least, it gets quarantined automatically which would mess with the people that don't know how to add exclusions.

41 minutes ago, NoyB said:

Steam version 0.90 patch notes link points to 0.80 :)

Disregard - I have both Steam and Win10 version.  Win10 version shows .90 is live, but still on .80.  Oh well

I’ve only checked out one wreckage, the one with the checkered tile-like appearance with a rocket engine on one end that’s split along one side. It has a center column with several resources lined up in a row along with the single open seat. The pieces in the crash site’s surrounding debris field, once you’ve dug it out of the terrain, can all be picked up. I don’t have any vehicles yet, haven’t gotten that far, but I can interact with the pieces like I said (I picked them up and stored them all together in a pit for now). This crash site is close to base, but I’m hoping eventually we’ll be able to haul these back using attachment points on a vehicle train, in addition to being able to take a Shredder to them (although now that I think more about it, moving the Shredder around to the wrecks may make more sense in the long run, still it’d be nice to have the option either way).

I haven’t checked Extenders yet. Saw some in a cave (on an explorer’s pack) but I generally don’t use until later in game when I’m prepping for launch (when I’m using the Platform D’s to arrange my solar production, batteries, and also my resource storage pallets making sure I have everything I want to take with me to establish offworld bases). It’ll be awhile before I need extenders in my games, hopefully not too long though.

Looks good. I'm agreeing with what Shado Echo said in the wall of text - a lot of the text is tiny.

Also, I'd like to see the option to replace long presses with instant actions.

10 minutes ago, Razar112 said:

For Kaspersky users, just update database and the problem is solved.

Thanks Razar112, that fixed it. :)

Posted (edited)

I have been having some trouble with the debris and the shredder. I had managed to find some wrecks of like research stations and such on large platform wrecks. I can carry the large platforms and drop them into the shredder, but when I do that, the research station or module attached falls off. I haven't yet been able to figure out how to pick up the wreckage that fell into the shredder or out in front of it so I can place it in the shredder by itself. Tried a crane, but that didn't work... :(

wreck.png

Edited by Piemur1

Posted (edited)

my game says failed to join : could not find session every time I try to join a host and im on windows 10 version 0.0.9.0

Edited by Gabriel Scotece

9 hours ago, 101101110111 said:

the O2 warnings now are nearly invisible while digging, i didn't realize i'd strayed too far from my tether until hearing the gasping

Too true. I almost bought it while out on a rover train ride.

On a save from the 0.8.0.0 build, had things around my base to throw in the Shredder. Got caught up doing just that, that logic didn't occur to me when I was putting dynamite into it....

I no longer have a Shredder...

Note to self: don't put dynamite into a shredder.

9 hours ago, Shadow Echo said:

As for the new iconography for power and oxygen, sorry Devs not liking this one.

I concur they are fugly
I also hate the plant nuts and bolts bites. I like the concept however, no I don't like the artwork/design. I would prefer something more 'natural' looking (not nuts and bolts) or mini research pods or something that just looks more natural to the environments. And when can we get some expansion on some colors? 

I have recently found a bug where if you try and pick up a seat while entering it, you can fly it around with the cursor with infinite oxygen and you can go through walls and ground. 

Great update! I love the new research samples when starting out! One suggestion - can you please make it more evident when you're running out of O2 and suffocating? I love the new icons, but the low O2  icons are easily missed when you're focused on exploring or excavating. Thank you all ?

nice. it would be great to get a fix for multiplayer games lagging and having sever drops in frame rate to fully enjoy this update and all the planets

Is there a way to scrape the wrecked buggys? I winched one back to my base but can't find a way to put it into the shredder. It can also be a bit of a pain to hand haul bits of wreckage back to base as most of them are quite far away. The new o2 indicator is kind of murderous as it does not show your percentage and the icon is easily missed while mining. The new research nodes are nice but respawn to often.  And finally the battery on the buggy drains to quickly I can run farther before suffocating than I can drive a medium Rover.

After a few hours of playing around with both of the Shredders. I'd have to say that it kind of reminds me of a cement mixer, not a shredder. If you've seen videos of industrial shredders especially the car shredders, they use two rollers.

I attempted to throw just about everything I could find in it but found that my old savegames didn't recognize the debris that I had piled up. I even tried to use the medium shredder on the astral dolls but with no luck. :)

CXYmCT2.png

I did find that a few items didn't shred like the tethers, filters, extenders, fireworks and even the old habitat. Also as @TheUnknownDeaths mention "DON'T shred dynamite", bad things will happened. :)  It was nice to be able to pick up debris now but some of it isn't shrebable and some of the stuff that is, requires you to carry it manually or use to winch to drag it back to the base. I'm guessing you could bring along a shredder when exploring. It's too bad that you can't use this debris that litters the surface and cave to repair or build a vehicle or a ship.

As for the scrap it produces, I don't see myself spending much time shredding just because of the worthlessness of the scrap itself. I would of rather seen some kind of recycler that would at least give us back some resources that we could use for other things. Adding two more steps to the process (shredding then trading) is just more grinding to this game and in my opinion, isn't that fun.

i do wish the o2 warning went back to the old ones. i could careless about power. and it is kinda a setback you cant scrap everything extra. i do like this update.

Scrap is a nice addition.  Hoping you fixed the stupid battery nerf on the larger vehicles though...  :/

I like the idea of being able to scrap stuff, but it creates yet another way of obtaining rare resources (by using easily obtained scrap to buy stuff like lithium and titanium) which means there's now even less reason to ever get off the starting planet. This was already a problem with the trade platform and mineral extractor being too easy to get, and rare resources too plentiful in wrecks, and the research being more than plentiful very close to the starting base.

Also, I find tons of damaged and salvagable stuff all over the place, but all the bigger bits just pass right through the shredder (like platforms), and anything big labeled as "wrecked" doesn't appear to shred at all.