Sign in to follow this  
Gargoyle Girl

Suggestion: Mineral Extractor tutorial

In a recent game, I built the mineral extractor in a bid to make more Lithium for batteries. It showed me it needed a large amount of soil to begin, so went out and slowly farmed the rather massive amount of soil needed to process the Lithium. Except it refused to process it. It wouldn't make any or work at all. Confused as to what I might be doing wrong, I did a test run, just to see which things would actually work in the machine. I tested it, unfortunately with an Organic sample, not really sure what it would do. Imagine my horror when half an hour of digging up the surface of the planet and running back and forth to fill this thing yielded me 8 Organics, and used 90% of the soil in the machine to make the most easily accessible resource? I'm alreeady well past the point of even needing any Organic and now I have a massive surplus of it and not a single extra Lithium. So here are my suggestions.

When the extractor is first built, have a pop up show that explains how it works.

If some resource can't be extracted from the soil, DON'T ALLOW A SAMPLE TO BE PLACED. I also was able to place a Titanium sample which was unable to be replicated.

If there is some special type of soil that is needed (I have no idea even now if this is a thing or not) then have the machine say as much.

Maybe all of this is obvious to someone else, but I stood puzzling over how this machine works, then ended up wasting a ton of time and effort for something I didn't need.

I felt your pain before I did some test and tune with it myself

There is a balance of value among the resources, and Lithium/Titanium both require a full pot to return 1 while you can get 8 organic for a half filled pot

Same kind of balance as on the Trade Platform

I agree that it should be more intuitive. But to the developers credits, there is a green line that shows you how much soil you need to use the machine. For the Titanium you'll need the full container to produce 1 Titanium. Though I felt that the effort to fill it is not worth 1 titanium, I agree that it needs to be balance. Or an easier way to gather soil at medium to late game.

The extractor has lines on the front that show the amount of soil needed per requested material. It also engages as soon as you have enough soil loaded. Like the others said, titanium and lithium both require a full load. I find it easier to build a rover train with an extractor on it along with a crane/drill. Just pull along a wall in your cave and drill till full, extract, repeat. Other ways of getting the lithium easier include mining coal and trading at the platform or putting a wide mod augment on your terrain tool. With the wide mod canisters fill much faster. Drill  a hole, move into it, drill holes 90 degrees out from original hole, repeat on the opposite side. You can fill 8 canisters in a few minutes easy. Hope it helps. 

In reply to everyone who has commented here.

Either the line is not showing, or something is broken in my game. No green line shows for either Lithium or Titanium in my game. Even with a fully loaded machine nothing at all happens. It doesn't even give an option to try to make 1. I'm not sure if I'm missing something or what, but that's been how it works for me so far.

Fill with dirt

Add a sample to the center of the turntable

hold E to start

If that does not work, it is broken. Dig a big hole, throw it in, and cover it up so you can find it at the core one day and remember the old times

You may want to report the bug with a screen shot. I think it would be important. If you remember doing something previous to that it be a good idea to include it.

Edited by Chepelink