I agree. It would make one of the less convenient energy options significantly more appealing, plus it would add an incentive to preserve the trees and other large organic structures around your base.

I'm with Rias. I think the things in the tutorial are a "quick taste" of the things they will be adding in the future - for example, launch pads, organic tap trees, and (at least I hope) abandoned bases. 

Well, I don't know about it. Yes, it'd be nice to have renewable organics that are easy to access, but I think that is not that needed per-se. Or at least not in the current game. You have solar and wind power to replace organics. Solar works very good, and it is even better when you have batteries. Wind on the other hand... I think wind needs a rework. I found that wind is not reliable, at least not as far as I played. Sometimes I saw the wind currents but the wind turbine just won't work.

Now, if we are talking about terraforming... with plants, trees and farms in a desolate planet, it may be a great idea. But for that, it should be sort of a reason why the other alternative are not convenient. For example, very little lithium on the planet (but you can buy it or duplicate it, so) and it is a pain to go back to your original base. 

Now, if you tell me that the green organic could be transformed to other types of organics with better fuel efficiency and power, I'll agree that having them can be a nice alternative. Particular for rovers, for example, or the smelter.

4 hours ago, Chepelink said:

Wind on the other hand... I think wind needs a rework. I found that wind is not reliable, at least not as far as I played. Sometimes I saw the wind currents but the wind turbine just won't work.

they actually seem to be handling it the way i've seen several other games: solar is excellent output, but can't work at night... wind is an excellent stop-gap at night, with the gamble of not being consistent. as for seeing the wind currents... on terran at least, i haven't seen much correlation at all between the visual wind effects and when the game is telling the turbine it's in wind. case in point: they'll occasionally spin like crazy while underground, where there's no visual wind effects at all. 

i know there's places on the other planets where there's permanent windy spots, but just like in the real world, it's not a form of power that can be particularly reliable. just be glad astroneer solar isn't subject to severely reduced power from heavy cloud cover  ;P

Edited by 101101110111
3 hours ago, 101101110111 said:

wind is an excellent stop-gap at night, with the gamble of not being consistent.

That is, well, a shame. The only time I've used wind turbine is on a rover. I found that a wind turbine (and the small one) can be very beneficial since the extra power sure is nice (and in the small rover, so good at night). But I actually don't bother with wind for my base because is too unreliable as a power source, at least in my plays. Maybe I have just bad luck or I find solar and batteries more than enough to bother with wind. 

I think it would be very nice for the wind turbine not to be that unreliable. Or a clear, and I mean clear, set of circumstances where wind is superior to solar.

1 hour ago, Chepelink said:

That is, well, a shame. The only time I've used wind turbine is on a rover. I found that a wind turbine (and the small one) can be very beneficial since the extra power sure is nice (and in the small rover, so good at night). But I actually don't bother with wind for my base because is too unreliable as a power source, at least in my plays. Maybe I have just bad luck or I find solar and batteries more than enough to bother with wind. 

I think it would be very nice for the wind turbine not to be that unreliable. Or a clear, and I mean clear, set of circumstances where wind is superior to solar.

spread out your base, put wind on the corners. and i mean *spread out*, 4-5 large platforms each direction in an X with the habitat in the center. like in real life, people tend to try to put all their wind vanes into one place... but in the video game world, you want them as far apart as possible. it drastically increases the chances at least 1 will be going at any given moment. lately, i also typically have a medium rover with a large platform (5 wind vanes total) ready to be towed around by a 2nd medium rover and hooked up once the vanes catch a breeze. but that's a really desperate reach for extra bits of power; by that point the base will be pretty sprawling with wind vanes at strategic distances and plenty of batteries. once you find a sweet-spot spacing for the vanes, you'll need to run a half dozen modules simultaneously to start hitting the batteries as well

Edited by 101101110111
17 hours ago, 101101110111 said:

spread out your base, put wind on the corners. and i mean *spread out*, 4-5 large platforms each direction in an X with the habitat in the center.

Maybe I just need to try as you said. 

Just for reference, how many batteries do you have per module (research, etc)?

4 minutes ago, Chepelink said:

Maybe I just need to try as you said. 

Just for reference, how many batteries do you have per module (research, etc)?

i've never gotten as far as managing a battery:module ratio, lol. but my current world, i did just so happen to make 6 batteries, and 3 of each module for bulk smelting/researching/fuel/printing/etc., and it seems to be my most power-efficient base yet. but i'm also never sure yet what to call 'efficient' when i could swear they change power requirements (i'm about 90% sure it was impossible to sustain 3 fuel condensors with 'only' 6 batteries a couple versions ago, but i've also now got my wind power on a somewhat more consistent trickle)