malnaur

Why are all UI text so tiny?

Am I missing something? Every bit of UI text on displays, callouts, status indicators, etc. is so small it's more or less unreadable. And, I'm not on a crappy setup:

2017 Razor Blade

1920x1080 screen

All graphics set to high

NVIDIA 1060 GPU

This has not changed. It is not helpful. Please make the text readable!!!!!!

Not very readable I agree.

I get that you might want to reduce power consumption and heat on a laptop, but the best advice I can give is increasing resolution to 1080p.

Disabling anti aliasing also greatly increases text clarity, more so below 1080p, but affects the entire scene, ofc..

Running a non native resolution also worsens the matter.

In my opinion text size if fine, bluryness is the main issue. Then again larger text wouldnt hurt, either. Not like it is going to be in the way of anything in a temporary iu panel like this.

Posted (edited)

You didn't read the OP. I am running this on a 2017 Razer Blade at 1920x1080 resolution.  There is absolutely no reason for the text to be this tiny. You aren't conveying that much information. The smallest text is virtually unreadable so you might as well leave it out entirely. The small text could easily be twice or three times the size without making the popup larger if the layout were better designed.

Once again, please fix this. SE has worked very hard to create a beautiful game. Don't let dumb things like this f' it up.

Edited by malnaur

Posted (edited)

On the contrary, I did read it all. And, don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to larger fonts. But you can get much better text than what you have in your screenshot. While you claim 1920x1080, your screenshot tells a different story.

Willing to bet you are running a desktop resolution of 1080p, and ingame resolution of only 720p. This results in an upscale giving you a 1080p screenshot but the game still renders at only 720p. Not only do you loose clarity to lower resolution, but also to upscaling.

Astroneer doesnt properly change display resolution. It is windowed fullscreen after all. (wouldnt matter for clarity in your case as native is 1080p anyway, but matters for the screenshot size)

If above statement does not hold true, how do you explain my 1080p screens having much increased text clarity over yours?

First with Antialiasing set to Ultra.

20190303202403_1.thumb.jpg.b298a9eba2598ad700554bf142c4e540.jpg

Second, antialiasing set to low (= off)

20190303202419_1.thumb.jpg.f9b5e7cc08937d23558740f9034b6ed8.jpg

Edited by Hermann

Interesting. After much digging, it appears you are correct. Now, why is Astroneer insisting on 720p? The setting shows 1920x1080 but when I click on it, 1280x720 is highlighted. I've tried Win10 settings adjustments, Nvidia driver settings, Steam launch settings, editing the .ini file, windowed/windowedFS, and nothing works. Other games work fine.

Perhaps 'solved'. I had to edit the .ini file to change the windowed mode to '0' which allowed actual fullscreen mode at proper resolution. Unbelievable.

Glad you hear you found the issue.

Didn't have issues selecting desired resolution myself. I found the games max resolution to be limited to desktop resolution(even though it happily lets you select high res), and in one instance, after messing around a lot with resolutions, i had to change back and fort in between desired resolution and a random one, to give it a "refresh", before it would apply the resolution. But it always saved and stayed where i put it.