K4RR4S

Game wont load past the spinning circles/planets

Summary:  Game wont load past the spinning circles/planets

Description: About a month ago, after playing the game for several hours during various builds my Astroneer decided I have played enough. Now, when I try to start the game via steam i get as far as the music playing after the planets and circles loading screen but then it simply closes without error. This is still the case after the most recent update (Update 0.8.0) 

I had some success before the most recent update by deleting the %AppData%\Local\Astro\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditorGameUserSettings.ini  , where on a couple of occasions the game loaded. On the occasions that the game loaded, i did note that after about an hour or so of playing I lost the ability to pick items up, such as research items/blobs. 

To cover all the bases I uninstalled the game and deleted the %appdata%\local\Astro folder too. Then reinstalled and had exactly the same issue.

Platform:
Steam 

Version / Build Number: 
Not sure how I would get the build number as the game wont load, I couldn't find these instructions on the forum post explaining "how to post a bug" - but I updated to 0.8.0 today. 

Specifications:

• CPU: AMD A8-6600K APU with Radeon HD Graphics (8570D)
  • GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX960
  • RAM: 32gb DDR3
  • Drive: Samsung SSD Evo 250gb / Seagate Desktop 2 TB Internal HDD (st2000dm001)

I've been enduring the identical problem.  Is gotten to the point that I give up after 6 or 7 attempts to load.  System info in attached "pure text" file.

SYSINFO.txt

Anyone? At all??? Devs? Mods? Community?

Would it help if I provide any further details or logs or something that would get more help with a fix for this ...? I am happy to do so.

I would hate to think that this game killer "bug" was in 1.0 on release day...  

30 minutes ago, Butchy250 said:

Do you select the fullscreen mode option when you launch the game? Maybe that has something to do with it?

Thank you for your reply Butchy250. Appreciate you taking the time.

I have tried launching in both Windowed and normal (full screen) modes but got the same result.

On 6/20/2018 at 3:58 AM, verdeva said:

I've been enduring the identical problem.  Is gotten to the point that I give up after 6 or 7 attempts to load.  System info in attached "pure text" file.

SYSINFO.txt

verdeva your SYSINFO.txt will not open, i just get an error page like below.

Sorry, there is a problem

This attachment is not available. It may have been removed or the person who shared it may not have permission to share it to this location.

Error code: 2C171/1

6 hours ago, K4RR4S said:

Thank you for your reply Butchy250. Appreciate you taking the time.

I have tried launching in both Windowed and normal (full screen) modes but got the same result.

Hey no problem :)

And sorry that didn't work, worth a try though.

I would suggest right clicking Astroneer in your steam library, go to properties, local files, and click "verify integrity of game files". Steam will then scan the files and see if there's an issue. By going through this route, you also have the ability to mess around with your local files. I know you've uninstalled and reinstalled it before, but maybe try doing that again, this time making sure all the folders and stuff are gone (you may have already done this previously, but I'm saying it just to be sure).

Hope you find a solution! If not, I can safely rely on the dev team to fix it by it's release date :)

On 6/22/2018 at 12:54 AM, Butchy250 said:

Hey no problem :)

And sorry that didn't work, worth a try though.

I would suggest right clicking Astroneer in your steam library, go to properties, local files, and click "verify integrity of game files". Steam will then scan the files and see if there's an issue. By going through this route, you also have the ability to mess around with your local files. I know you've uninstalled and reinstalled it before, but maybe try doing that again, this time making sure all the folders and stuff are gone (you may have already done this previously, but I'm saying it just to be sure).

Hope you find a solution! If not, I can safely rely on the dev team to fix it by it's release date :)

Thanks Butchy250, I'll give your suggestions a try.

Incidentally I tried running it again this morning and ended up with the following in my clipboard when i pasted in to a text doc after trying to run it... Don't know what the relevance is...

LowLevelFatalError [File:D:\Depot\AstroRTX\EngMain\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\RenderingThread.cpp] [Line: 1015] 
GameThread timed out waiting for RenderThread after 30.00 secs

0x000000006F46A388 KERNELBASE.dll!UnknownFunction []
0x00000000382E148B Astro-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00000000382B0BC9 Astro-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x0000000038BC535A Astro-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x0000000038BC4F33 Astro-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x000000003950C45A Astro-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x0000000039508D2E Astro-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x0000000037FA4737 Astro-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x00000000382285CB Astro-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x0000000037F9DF91 Astro-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x0000000037FA570C Astro-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x0000000037FA576A Astro-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x0000000037FABAF3 Astro-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x000000003A1759D7 Astro-Win64-Shipping.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x0000000072003034 KERNEL32.DLL!UnknownFunction []
0x0000000072A41431 ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction []
0x0000000072A41431 ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction []

Thought it may be useful IF the Devs are trying to work it out. Damn that line 1015!!!!

OK, I just ran the"verify integrity of game files" - that didn't work. Game still crashed when i tried to open it...

So i started poking about and found a .exe in the following folder... weirdly after running it I was able to start the game. I didnt have any save files, likely from me deleting them on previous attempts to get it going. But I have managed to start the tutorial game now!!!

E:\K4RR4S\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\ASTRONEER Early Access\Engine\Extras\Redist\en-us\UE4PrereqSetup_x64.exe

2 hours ago, K4RR4S said:

Incidentally I tried running it again this morning and ended up with the following in my clipboard when i pasted in to a text doc after trying to run it... Don't know what the relevance is

That's really strange. It's a stretch, but it could be that you have a virus or something. I'm glad you got the tutorial working! That's a start :D 

If you don't have any anti-virus software, I would try Malwarebytes. https://www.malwarebytes.com It's free and it works great! Plus every once in a while it'll let you have premium access which is nice. But even without it, it's a great program.

Good luck K4RR4S! 

Edited by Butchy250
Needed more information

On 6/21/2018 at 12:41 PM, K4RR4S said:

verdeva your SYSINFO.txt will not open, i just get an error page like below.

Sorry, there is a problem

This attachment is not available. It may have been removed or the person who shared it may not have permission to share it to this location.

Error code: 2C171/1

k4rr4s, Sorry you weren't able to review the file I'd uploaded.  I checked it out right now and it downloaded and opened normally.  I uploaded the file using the instructions that are at the bottom of each screen when you're typing a message.

I think the "LowLevelFatalError" info you found it your clipboard may help the Devs track down this ghost.  When I saw this "GameThread timed out waiting for RenderThread"; I got rather excited, as I have felt this was the problem that was taking place.  While the game was loading it get's game hung up at some point and it sits there banging it's digital head against the wall for 30 seconds and then gives up.  I used an old trick (I am very old) by clicking the left mouse button approximately 1 per second.  The click keeps the program alive long enough for it to complete whatever it's trying to accomplish.  It worked for me about 25% of the time.  Better than nothing, but still frustrating.