splitting Barren in half

So I've just spent 2 days trying to split the Barren moon in two halves.  I've made an equator line, then just started running along it digging away. 

It was a bitch and a half, but I finally did it.

Picture 1.   about 90% done, gravity is wonky as hell.

Picture 2. I finally did it. for whatever reason, a crapload of resources and research items got pulled in from around the planet to form the core...

Picture 3. View from the surface. I know it looks like there are some bridges across, but if you get close to them, they just disappear...

So, If anyone know how to make a youtube video  of playing around with two halves of a planet, hit me up, i'll invite.

barren1.jpg

barren 2.jpg

Barren 3.jpg

Woah... Nice work! And the accumulation of items in the center of the planet is manifestation of one of my prior posts, that after the last update, I could tell for sure that things (especially Research blocks) were spontaneously falling through the surface of the world. I'm kinda surprised they don't despawn, but now that I think of it, I don't think ANYTHING despawns, except for 'killed' things (spikers, gas bags) and rocks that are forced out of the soil by Terrain tool, so that makes sense...

I do, in fact know how to make YouTube videos, and would be happy to shoot/edit video for upload, and even narrate same, if you wanted anything like that... Lemme know.

...and that tether thing is REALLY weird...I'm not fully sure I understand what you mean by 'it uses up all remaining' though... You mean if you have more in your pack, they disappear if you drop one, or...?

Jump from the surface to the core and see where you end up

I was thinking about a slide that used gravity to help relocate the avatar through the planet, looks like a good place to rough test it

On 6/16/2018 at 10:07 PM, bigessess said:

Jump from the surface to the core and see where you end up

I was thinking about a slide that used gravity to help relocate the avatar through the planet, looks like a good place to rough test it

I did, multiple times. As long as you hold the forward button, you just keep spinning in a circle around the core. If you let go, you slowly come to a stop and land on the pile of research.

So you can not get enough speed to pull back away from gravity, you just ride the surface of it at the core

awwww shucks... sad day

*edit*

Wait.. you don't have a dirt ramp to ride back away from the core, you are just spinning around it, if I understand you right.

That looks fun to play with

Edited by bigessess

Yeah, the much reduced gravity at a planetary core can be fun to play with, but can also be quite frustrating sometimes...I mean, once you have 'cast off these shackles of earth', but have no jet-pack...

On 6/16/2018 at 8:32 PM, Gray Mouser said:

I'm kinda surprised they don't despawn, but now that I think of it, I don't think ANYTHING despawns, except for 'killed' things (spikers, gas bags) and rocks that are forced out of the soil by Terrain tool, so that makes sense...

i think the despawn only happens on reload or rocket launch. i could swear i saw something somewhere about being careful not to leave research pods just laying loose underground cause they'll vanish if you leave the planet. that was some time ago though, and could've been confined to pre-alpha

On 6/21/2018 at 1:08 AM, 101101110111 said:

i think the despawn only happens on reload or rocket launch. i could swear i saw something somewhere about being careful not to leave research pods just laying loose underground cause they'll vanish if you leave the planet. that was some time ago though, and could've been confined to pre-alpha

Hmm... I wonder if they really de-spawn, or if that was an earlier 'swallowed by the world' or really was despawned...? Meh. Probably really did just despawn. I know on the surface, they could EASILY blow away, as there was a time that they had almost no 'gravitational' weight in wind storms...but still held inertia. It was awful. I had carefully pushed some Large Storage units around with my rover into neat lines to use as standing storage (full of Medium Storage units), but after a particularly successful run with a rover train, had a number of Research blocks sitting around, waiting for me to make more Large Storage to hold them, and a storm came through... blew the Research blocks around, but they had so much 'inertial mass' that as they drifted over and hit my Large Storage units, they'd just knock them around... and let me tell you, I was spitting blood. Those things are a BITCH to move around with a rover, so seeing them just pushed around while I hid in my Hab...grr...

SO glad I can put Large Storage on platforms now...

• 2 weeks later...

Never got this dedicated in the game.

However, I did take an unintended trip to the core when my large rover decided to suddenly clip through the ground and "fall" to the core.  The core there was littered with about a dozen research items.

I also wanted to comment that I love how your Astroneer is peeking over the rock in the first photo.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2018 at 12:28 PM, Lemon said:

So I've just spent 2 days trying to split the Barren moon in two halves.  I've made an equator line, then just started running along it digging away. 

It was a bitch and a half, but I finally did it.

Picture 1.   about 90% done, gravity is wonky as hell.

Picture 2. I finally did it. for whatever reason, a crapload of resources and research items got pulled in from around the planet to form the core...

Picture 3. View from the surface. I know it looks like there are some bridges across, but if you get close to them, they just disappear...

So, If anyone know how to make a youtube video  of playing around with two halves of a planet, hit me up, i'll invite.

barren1.jpg

barren 2.jpg

Barren 3.jpg

THIS.... is officially cool.

that is all. carry on.

On 7/2/2018 at 10:48 PM, Kuros Paladin said:

I also wanted to comment that I love how your Astroneer is peeking over the rock in the first photo.

ALSO.... "photo"???

get out more.

I missed this post.  Wow, what a great way to cut a planet, or to farm unknowns, ha ha.  Can't wait to see the oddities that players can dig up with the new Terain 2.0 that's part of the upcoming release.

• 2 weeks later...