So I just played through the new tutorial world, and I think it's pretty good.

So; my feedback:

1) For the shuttle, you should have to build an Enclosed 1-Seat, as an open seat would expose you to space and make you die (Also preventing people form using the shuttle with an open seat on it)

2) The building the shuttle is on is really cool, and it'd be nice if we could get something like it in the game. I'd love to be able to build a dedicated shuttle platform; and also the landing bubble could be a different colour to indicate it's a platform like that. (And any landing bubbles around your base already would be disabled if you had the platform)

3) The data bank box you find to get the blueprint for the seat. Is this actually in the game? It'd be cool if you could find those, but be able to transport them back to your base. (And they'd have special blueprints, or perhaps ones for progression; whichever)

4) The organic tap. I really loved that, it should be something you can craft (Plus, it would make trees useful.)

That's all I've got so far, overall I like this new tutorial.

PS: The new icons and tooltips for resources are really cool! I love that new system. I think every T1 item should have a tooltip like that, explaining its purpose.

Edited by vizthex
Added more info

1. You're in a space suit, which should be able to withstand the G-forces of launch (especially in a fictional semi-futuristic universe), and keeps you safe from the vacuum of space. But yes, it bugged me a bit that it wasn't an enclosed pod. I think it's because tutorial unlocks transfer over the main game, and having an enclosed pod, but not a rover 1-seat available didn't work too well.

2 & 3. Probably coming to the game soon. The tutorial is a preset enclosed world, so it's a bit easier to introduce new things in there than in a much larger, procedurally-generated world.

4. Crafting it doesn't make too much sense to me. Besides, they added those into the main game for small research, at least. My starting world on the new patch had only one tree within reach of the base, so I haven't seen anything more than research harvestables.

I'll be surprised if the add the taps to the main game... I suspect they will just be for the tut... I full agree with the dedicated landing pad, and the idea that once constructed, all surrounding bubbles be disabled, or at least grayed out so you can easily pick out the main platform (since you might have a small AND a large shuttle to land), and not mistake where you left your Large Rover connected to the Vehicle Bay...

I'm hoping the E3 presentation means we'll have another graphic upgrade coming, with new items... but it also worries me, because the 1.0 release announcement means they will probably be holding back a huge amount of new stuff for final release, so we aren't all bored of the new stuff by the time 1.0 goes live...

Not wild about the huge structures, since we can't build nice things like that, but it's their game, we just play in it...

I think the tutorial right now is designed to show how the game will be played at a later date. It has a lot of things in it that are not currently available in the game. The shuttlepad thing, Tree Sap things, data canisters.

I am wondering if the data lockers will bring back the old research system with the improvements of the new. So we have to find the data lockers through exploring crash sites/satellites to gather the "plans", and then spend our bytes to unlock what we want.  

Edited by jbarth09

Here's my feed Back:

1) the tutorial doesn't go over collecting and processing minerals I feel that new players will get in the game and not now what to do (much like my first time) 

2) It doesn't go over where and how to find research.

3) it would be cool if that world could become your save.

4) a cutscene explaining what happened would be cool

5) also I like the idea of you dying and not only having to go get your stuff back but also a new terrain tool (either by crafting it or finding on scattered throughout the world) same with the O2 tank

overall the tutorial didn't feel too much like it was holding my hand. I still think that achievments are a better option but hey this works with Astroneer.

OP
#1 I don't care how others travel in space. Not sure why you do but to each his own.
#2 ?
#3 ?
#4 Hate it! 

Far too much hand holding by SES. I would just like the option to turn off all of the text boxes and babysitting. Just the option. For those who like to be spoon fed every single detail have at it, for those of us that like to learn by failing/exploring/rolling the dice/trying something new/taking a chance, please provide an adult option, please!

27 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

OP
#1 I don't care how others travel in space. Not sure why you do but to each his own.
#2 ?
#3 ?
#4 Hate it! 

Far too much hand holding by SES. I would just like the option to turn off all of the text boxes and babysitting. Just the option. For those who like to be spoon fed every single detail have at it, for those of us that like to learn by failing/exploring/rolling the dice/trying something new/taking a chance, please provide an adult option, please!

Damn, r/gatekeeping much? You don't HAVE to play the tutorial, no one is requiring you too. The tree tao would be great because you could finally use all those trees that are everywhere (And always in my base area!)

This tutorial is far form hand holdy too. And it's not forced, like I said.

1 hour ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I've seen people being unable to comprehend and finish the tutorial.
Not enough hand-holding for some. 

16 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:

I've seen people being unable to comprehend and finish the tutorial.
Not enough hand-holding for some. 

Oh please tell me they come with a video and sound! This I would love just love to see and hear. 

They literally could not finish the tutorial? Seriously? They could not see the stack of tethers right on the truck? They could not see the tethers on the ground? They could not see the other tethers connected already and put two and two together? They did not watch the trailer that showed the entire thing? They just bought the game on the exact same day 8 was released?
Oh I want to see and hear these videos. Please tell me they exist. 

And if someone reading this could not finish the tutorial please tell me how was it so impossible. Because I'm finding it nearly impossible to believe that someone could not finish the tutorial. Ok, so sure if the player is 5 years old or 8 or something like that sure. Or if it is the very first game they have ever played in their entire life. Or if it was the first game they had ever seen before. Or if this was the first time they had ever had electricity hooked up. A 7 year old? A 107 year old? What people? I'm finding this extremely difficult to comprehend. So multiple people, adults, who have played this game before, could not finish the tutorial? Seriously? And you have proof of this claim? 

Edited by The Touch of Grey Gamer

8 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Oh please tell me they come with a video and sound! This I would love just love to see and hear.

It is not so far fetched. Play the tutorial a few times over, act like you don't know what you are doing, and pretend you couldn't read so don't follow the instructions.

You can get the tutorial off track and have it telling you to make stuff before you are able to pick up the gun and before the gun is able to be picked up, now you have the cart before the horse and the instructions do you no good at all. You can also craft a canister before the tutorial gets that far and offset it again, this time it will tell you to build canisters until you have depleted your supply of resin either by making canisters or by throwing them on the ground.

Agreed however if you do what you are told as you are told it works out fine (so far) every time

hello tutorial club and all :)

my few moments was:

1. thin font of the hints is hardly readable, especially from distance.

2. I do think also it is little bit more hand holding than needed. For example: instead of controlling player every step I would rather have tooltip above the objects on what can u do with them - like the gun always have to have option to pick it up, not only after I loot unfortunate fellow.

3. Hints like open catalog, equip the gun or dig the terran I would rather put on the side of the screen as a suggestions of what player able do now rather than the order to do it right away, and remove them from there as soon as player do that action.

4. I would rather have F1 option always on screen in case of player don't know what to do next rather than telling the player when to press F1 and read about something.

5. I think also would be nice to have dig/smelt resources part in the tutorial and build enclosed seat. Would feel more spaceship-like. Also shuttle sits there full with hydrazine, I would throw canisters with hydrazine around and make player collect them and fill the shuttle, would be more interesting, I think.

Generally it feels very nice for anyone to be able to figure out something on their own or discover something, removing such possibility from the players is removing their willing to learn, to try things, to explore. I think tutorial have to encourage exploration and try-n-error first and have a possibility to have a hint and a help second.

When tutorial ask me to open a catalog, press F1 or open a backpack... I cannot do any other actions like unpacking platform or examine a research station - this is quite confusing, I do not think it is nice to lock things like that.

15 hours ago, vizthex said:

Damn, r/gatekeeping much? You don't HAVE to play the tutorial, no one is requiring you too. The tree tao would be great because you could finally use all those trees that are everywhere (And always in my base area!)

This tutorial is far form hand holdy too. And it's not forced, like I said.

Do people think the tutorial is the door that opens version 8?
It is not the start of version 8 you know that right? 8 is just like 7 the tutorial is a tutorial. I can't PLAY the tutorial. Why would you think I or anyone could? It is a tutorial, nothing more. 

Use them for what exactly? How long are people using organic power? By the time I would unlock and then print the auto-driller I would already be using other sources of power I would think. Right now I get off organic power as quickly as possible because it is so laborious compared to just a few turbines, a few solar panels, a few batteries. I may use them the first 15/20 minutes of a game? A game that I may play for more than 20 hours. Then again, since I have never ever once ever in my 644+ hours of play not once have I ever had an issue of not being able to find enough organic within 50 feet of my base, ever. I think it is a solution to a problem that simply does not exist.

OR

It is going to be part of the new quest system (purple triangle thingy). One quest might be to extract 1,000,000 pieces of organics or resin etc. Then these auto drillers could be used for that purpose. 
Maybe the auto drillers will be able to move independently so that when placed on a resource farm it will auto suck much like a roomba. 

IF

They are not going to be used for some future type thing I highly doubt I will be using them and if I do it will be for just a very brief period of time. I can't really imagine them being used in multi-player at all. How much organics will need to be auto-farmed with 8 (or more) Astroneers running around the planet? If there is no quest filling use for them once version 1 is released, then I just don't see them getting much use. I'm still going to have to run back to the base, pick up the organics that were auto farmed, put them with the generator, then run back to where I was only to have to run back to the base mere minutes later to repeat the entire process. Which is why I get off organic power ASAP.

I agree the tutorial is far from too hand holdy. The game we will be playing after 1.0's release will be..... if text boxes, hints, hand-holding remains the only option we have. I'm not asking to remove all the hand-holding by SES. All I'm asking for is that SES provide the player with the option to have his/her hand held or not. Just a check box option at launch...... text-on? Hints on? Just a simple yes or no check box is all I require. Nothing more. Simple pimple. Then we can both be happy!

Overall, I like the tutorial. A few observations:

• It can be confusing if you get out of sequence, i.e. get resin before the tutorial tells you to. It could check if you already have completed the next action.
  • Text is small on my TV at distance and I have to lean forwards to read it. Actually this is also true for the current research screen that tells you the bytes and rates.
  • I kept getting a prompt to retrieve my generator and restore power even though power was already full.
  • I think I had to use the generator instance the tutorial expected me to use, as the other ones I had printed didn’t seem to be usable to proceed.
  • Love the wrecked equipment and the need to replace them, hope this with repair options makes it into the game.
  • The shuttle pad is awesome!

Suggestion: build plenty of tethers and go explore the depths of the tutorial cave. Too bad SES didn't include a UI card for the hostile plants so new players know how to defend themselves, or for wreckages, etc. inside the cave. Maybe on a future patch?

Edited by vvhorus

Here are my thoughts and feedback on the tutorial.

Exiting dropship, I didn't see anything about zoom in & out. Having the option to enter the pod again isn't really necessary. Backpack tanks shouldn't be completely broken but have a small leak instead. Right now it looks like blue steam coming off the top, maybe having lines shooting out from one point would look more like a leak. Also adding a marker trail (footprints) on the ground showing where to go would help. Oh just about forgot, running, nothing about running.

First rover, the icon above the tether doesn't make much sense. Perhaps a question mark or a magnifying glass would work better. When picking up the tether, the info is good but the blue lines coming off the player & the tether may be confusing for some, maybe the player line should be removed and also after connecting it to the rover, it doesn't mention anything about maximizing the full range of the tether. Another thing was the rover didn't have a seat and the broken tire was nowhere in sight, maybe replacing the rover with a platform and module would work better. It would explain why there's a line of tethers in its direction.

Bunch of tethers, good info but it doesn't tell you to pick them up, I know most of us would figure that out. This would be a good opportunity to introduce the "shift" key to rapidly pick them up. As for the presentation of these tethers could be better, perhaps a few of them would be knocked over and the rest connected but in black state. This is where the leak scenario would give the player a opportunity to repair the fallen tethers.

Rover crashed in a tree? The only tree in sight on the whole planet and he had to crash in it, that's pretty funny in my opinion. Damaged rover looks good but perhaps it should of been the buggy instead, just something different. The medium platform doesn't seem like the right item to be hauling in the direction of the base, maybe some resources or research item. Fallen astroneer, again the icon above him doesn't make much sense. Transferring tank is Ok but wouldn't it be more interesting if the fallen astroneer had a repair kit. When ask to open the backpack, it mention salvageable items and resources. Didn't see any resources in there.

After opening the research catalog, it ask you to press "enter" to unlock. It should also mention something about using the green button too. Closing catalog is going to be a problem, new players will assume if you open with a "Q" key then they will presume that the same goes for closing it, not truth. Onto the terrain tool, after picking it up, you're prompted to press F1 to learn more. In my opinion, this isn't very interactive. Why not have a ghost image of your astroneer demonstrating how to use it. Press F1 again to stop the demonstration. Another thing was after looking the F1 info, you're prompted to remove terrain but why not remove terrain in the area of the resource you'll need to build your small generator. Sequence of events is a bit off here.

After printing the generator, a bit of confusion here when asks to dig up the outposts then right away ask to place generator on the ground, needs some clarification. Placing generator on the ground or on the platform is a good time to introduce the rotation function. You could even use the medium platform B that's on the crashed rover to show that off.

Outpost, dug up chamber and prompted with learning more about power system. Ask to grab cable and connect it but confusion with two icons show up on the research chamber, maybe one icon at a time. After connecting, no UI card popping up with the next task, just that weird icon on the generator and tree and research chamber, again some clarification would be helpful.

Powered up the generator then after a bit of time, unlocked the tethers but then ask to open backpack without closing the catalog. Again the sequence off.

Canister info was good but didn't mention anything about other uses for the canisters. Perhaps that is something that could be included, using a old fuel condenser to fill up the shuttle. The deformation of the terrain was also informative.

Exploring the caves, that's pretty well self-explanatory. There needs to be a point where you stop holding their hands.

Shuttle, the one seat isn't appropriate for this, it doesn't fit. Better off with the enclosed 1-seat. While searching the cave, the player would come across another fallen astroneer that would be carrying one aluminum ingot. The other one would be found on the first fallen astroneer.

Overall the tutorial is coming along just great. The new UI cards are perfect for the tutorial but that's where it ends, it doesn't belong in the regular game. We need a clean user interface "less text and clutter" if someone needs more information then they can press F1 for that or run through the tutorial again.