I've got 8!

The beginning is so freakin stupid. Literally, we are going backwards. I just don't get it at all.

Ok so apparently only the tutorial is weirdly oddly, stupid? The game does not play that way. It plays version 7? The tutorial is for? 
I know I have to be missing something but I just don't see it. I don't get the connection at all. Too weird 

Edited by Wyvyrias
Merged posts

I agree... It is weird. The new rocket platform is in the tutorial but not in the catalog in the game... why?

I started a new game and played for one hour and except the new text comcept, nothing new...

The tutorial does not equal gameplay. For example the tutorial shows those organic auto extracting (terrible idea) thingys that look like small generators. However start the game and can you make those things?
That is just one of the things in the tutorial that you can't do in game. Why would my tutorial show me things I can't do or have? 

Bleh... it looks like the update reset some terrain too, my base was overgrown with vegetation...

4 hours ago, Lemon said:

Bleh... it looks like the update reset some terrain too, my base was overgrown with vegetation...

Yeah, I had a stone pillar added to the side of my base on a prior save, and I'm sure it weren't there before...

@Touch of Grey: Yeah, I went through the tutorial, and I don't think those are going to be a part of the game, they just added them so you wouldn't have to go around harvesting organics to have enough power to open the box, or keep the Research powered... I kinda agree, they're a little annoying.

While the landscape seemed...I dunno, smoother? Maybe it's just been too long since I played last, but the land seemed a bit more responsive, even though the rocks are just as annoying as always (maybe even a bit more)... I see they still haven't fixed that thing where the Refinery will just spit out a refined material, even if there's space on the sides of the platform, then go back to placing them normally... So no easily noticeable changes or additions. Although it was nice to generate a world with trees (that don't happen very often for me)...

I'd comment about how I didn't fall through the ground, but I only had that happen the one time, on a world that showed other signs of being corrupt. Haven't tried multiplayer, anyone seen if there have been any improvements there?

Ok, so I've got an extra large storage thingy trying to be built. It gets about 90% done then just stops. Oddly I can pick it up and move it around. What is really cool is that when I move it away from the vehicle printer the 90% of what was built starts to disappear into thin air. Like it is going back into the vehicle printer! I wish I could record it. 
The first one I printed went fine. No issues. For some reason I can't seem to finish the second one. 
I can't seem to get sunlight without a storm. 
What happened to daylight? Why has SES limited it? What does SES have against daylight? It is dark a lot, a real lot. 

Edited by The Touch of Grey Gamer

14 hours ago, Al Sypiade said:

I agree... It is weird. The new rocket platform is in the tutorial but not in the catalog in the game... why?

I started a new game and played for one hour and except the new text comcept, nothing new...

13 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

The tutorial does not equal gameplay. For example the tutorial shows those organic auto extracting (terrible idea) thingys that look like small generators. However start the game and can you make those things?
That is just one of the things in the tutorial that you can't do in game. Why would my tutorial show me things I can't do or have? 

I totally agree with both of you. Did the tutorial and I liked it. Got me hyped for the "new items" being live in the game. Played for a few hours last night, hoping that the "new items" would pop up in my research catalog, but nothing. It was a big let-down. Other than the trees with little research nuggets and the UI change, it was game as usual for me...

............ and my game just froze. There is something wrong with this update. I've got graphic issues that I never had before. Almost complete darkness the vast majority of time, things are not printing, dust particles stuck on the screen that never happened before. If there is sunlight you know there is a storm! Very disappointing. I'm so scared for December. ??

Update 8 is truly great!  ?
I started another game and within 15 minutes another freeze. 
Any word on an update to the update? 8.1 maybe?

14 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

It's to streamline things and forgive mistakes that new people would make, such as wasting organics. It's not like they literally have to explain every detail of all basics through an interactive manner.

19 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:

It's to streamline things and forgive mistakes that new people would make, such as wasting organics. It's not like they literally have to explain every detail of all basics through an interactive manner.

I have zero idea what you are trying to get across. What I and vvhorus posted makes perfect sense to me. What you posted I don't understand at all.

30 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:

The tutorial is fine.

The issue lies in that the tutorial showcased things that are not live in the current game patch.

A new player would pick up the game today, go through the tutorial, and see features/items that he/she might think are in the live game, but then gets hit with the disappointing reality that they aren't.

In my opinion, those few new features showcased in the tutorial should have been added to the live 0.8.0.0 game update.

29 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I have zero idea what you are trying to get across. What I and vvhorus posted makes perfect sense to me. What you posted I don't understand at all.

I have that issues with lots of your posts as well, so I guess it also works the other way around.

12 minutes ago, vvhorus said:

The tutorial is fine.

The issue lies in that the tutorial showcased things that are not live in the current game patch.

A new player would pick up the game today, go through the tutorial, and see features/items that he/she might think are in the live game, but then gets hit with the disappointing reality that they aren't.

In my opinion, those few new features showcased in the tutorial should have been added to the live 0.8.0.0 game update.

Yeah that's the confusing part, but right now those things help to prevent the player from getting stuck by e.g. sucking up all local organics and letting generators run idle without actually doing the required research.
On the other side, it's a tutorial world. Wouldn't be the first game to show things in the tutorial that cannot be found a regular world (although I can't recall the names of any games like that rn).

That said, this kind of feature surely will move from a scripted world into a regular playable world. Seemingly it just isn't ready for dynamic usage yet. Well, it does need trees, and trees can be easily dug up in a regular world. The one tree in the tutorial is fixed, though. So I assume there were some glitches with that.

Sadly I did not notice any new pods ? Well I did notice the one long white with blue striped one a 'space' pod. 
I'm hoping we receive a few new ones. Is there a plan to make pods more dynamic or are they just meant to be a static type thing? By dynamic I mean; the addition of lights of some type? If you find a particular one it unlocks a new song? Changing colors? Changing shapes? Movement? If there are going to be additional pods I hope we get some type of preview. Maybe interview the person or people that made the pods?

I think the wormhole thing is connected to the purple triangle thing. My Astroneer goes into the purple triangle thing, inside is options for quests. I choose a quest and then travel through the wormhole to the appropriate planet to begin my quest.

I abhor the new text boxes! ? I loathe the current text boxes! ? ?☮️?️ Easy big fella easy!
I noticed the nuts and bolts that are now attached to some crystals. I noticed them.

Any chance we will receive some type of Astroneer unveiling to introduce the new ones? Will they be introduced like a fashion show? Strutting down a catwalk? Will they be exiting one by one out of a habitat? Will there be new music to accompany the unveiling? Will they have a couple of new dance moves or gestures to show off? There is going to be an unveiling isn't there? I mean, the game is called Astroneer and new Astroneer's are being introduced so there is going to be some type of hype and fanfare, yes? SES? 

When can I buy my Astroneer gear? I am picturing my collection of each Astroneer along the shelf above my monitor. Made of?
I need an Astroneer shirt. Preferably polo, 3 button with a sewn in logo. Don't even try to pass me one of those iron on decals. A ball cap would be awesome. And not just one. I need different color hats and different color Astroneer logo's/Astroneer. Again, sewn in. Lots of stitching. T-shirts are good too. A coffee mug and a beer mug I'm sure would be much appreciated. Soooooo when can I buy my Astroneer gear?

I must agree, too many text boxes everywhere on EVERY SINGLE THING now, I’m sorry to use caps, I’m not shouting and I’m not mad, but omg many of us had asked please let us get rid of all the floating text and that’s gone but now EVERY SINGLE TETHER has a box, that’s NOT necessary please make it stop :( Even a new player doesn’t need a reminder for every single tether. They’ll figure out soon enough what they do. Trust me on this. I started when there wasn’t any tutorial, the info page basically described walking and using the terrain tool plus cursor use, Patch 118 iirc. It was very basic, but I figured it out. Others have managed just fine, too.

I also have to agree, there either shouldn’t be stuff in the Tutorial Mode that’s not in the current version of release (that’s seriously skating on thin ice, bordering on false advertising, at the very least it artificially raises hopes and engenders bad feelings similar to how others have mentioned and that’s certainly bad enough) or there should be a BIG banner saying “This Tutorial includes items which are currently not available in the Alpha version of Astroneer. They are presented here to enhance the tutorial experience and improve flow” something like that (yeah brevity, unfortunately, isn’t one of my strong suits). 

Wanted to add, the way people use CAPS and that annoys some on forums is EXACTLY how annoying it is to many of us all this floating text boxes in Astroneer. I think it’s a perfect analogy. Please Devs, please help us, you’re our only hope xD 

Edited by Shadow Echo

1 hour ago, Shadow Echo said:

I must agree, too many text boxes everywhere on EVERY SINGLE THING now, I’m sorry to use caps, I’m not shouting and I’m not mad, but omg many of us had asked please let us get rid of all the floating text and that’s gone but now EVERY SINGLE TETHER has a box, that’s NOT necessary please make it stop :( 

Here! Here!

The tutorial is Ok but I wish they would fix the sinking into the ground problem. With the game going live in 6 months this problem could break the game.Also why did they take the beacons on the rovers and shuttles away. It makes the rover very hard to find in caves. I agree that the dead Astroneers backpacks do not seem to contain much useful stuff.

Gods... The text boxes... (-_-) How many times did I quickly slide my pointer to a different part of the screen, just to avoid seeing (and HEARING) the text box come up? Gah!

Please...PLEASE give us a check-box to KILL the damnable text boxes! Easily as bad as the constantly floating 'Q to open backpack' that we had floating with us all the time before...just make it ABLE to be stopped, please...

After I die, I’m getting weird random resource icon boxes (at least they seem to be sans card UI’s, guess I can be thankful for small, miracles) and sometimes the whole card UI as well pop up at really far distances from my Astroneer (they aren’t associated with my fallen body, unfortunate because death markers still suck horribly, especially when underground which is where they’re needed the most). I can’t imaine why anyone who works on this game has continued to believe it’s ok to have a death marking system that just up and disappears as you draw near? Like how is that supposed to help me or anyone else locate my body and things accurately? It’s the same issue for vehicles underground, oh wait they don’t ave beacons anymore do they? But hey, now I can see every single tether marked and  what it’s for, I reallly really needed that because you know I might forget ‘cause after all I’ve only been playing since January 2017 ??

DEVS: By the way, I mentioned a long time ago after which update I can’t remember (I put it i the Patch Notes section when I wrote feedback though) there’s still a bug where, after you die, you can see  “SUFFOCATION” (or maybe it’s “SUFFOCATING”) text appear beneath the big main hab you spawn on Terrran. While it does disappear after you leave your game and doesn't persist (until of course you die in your game again) luckily it doesn't persist from one game usage to another. Still, it needs to be patched, fixed, whatever. It was right before the Basebuilding Update I believe, that’s why I don’t think it ever got fixed. You could see the word appear over the little pod/hab, but then we switched to the new big hab and now you can only see the word (along with the oxygen warning indicator) if you have your camera swing UNDER the big hab and look for it, AFTER you’ve died (I presume from suffocation and not from other causes, but I haven’t tested this theory). 

Not sure if it's my isp or if the forum is slow today.

I like the new tutorial, it showcases new ideas.  Hopefully, we'll see more of what is seen in the tutorial in the released gameplay version.

That said, I did see some flowers, new signage and other neat changes in the game.  Overall very impressed with version 8.

Keep up the great work.

22 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I think there was an update? When I first queued up this morning there was some type of download however it still states 8.0
Anyway, game locked up yet again. This time I can't get from the game to the main screen.

It was just an update for the patch notes link.

Something needs to be done regarding save game integrity. Even that little patch made vegetation (ground-level and subterranean), stalagmites, debris, and even minerals and wreckages respawn in flattened terrain on a brand new 0.8.0.0 save game. I understand we're still in Alpha, but being so close to release, there has been no sign of getting any kind of resolution to this issue. Is this something that dedicated servers and terrain 2.0 will fix?

Gah... The respawning rocks. That were supposed to be fixed AGES ago... and still spawn in on modified terrain... The plants, I have no issue with, plants can sprout wherever, and even flattening terrain is not done with artificial material, but previously collected sediment, so plants growing in over modified terrain...that works. But the rocks? Really? Rocks just appear when you turn your back on smooth ground you have already removed all the rocks from? Sigh.