What are you looking for in the Astroneer story/game?

Mr. Badger

Just what the title says. 

What are YOU looking for in the story/narrative/missions of Astroneer?

I'm thinking the "Go here/Find this" style missions will be there. The "Mine 'x' amount of (mineral/ore)" as well. Those are old standbys. 

But what could be added that would be something completely different? Maybe tracking down another Astroneer? I know THATS cliche as well but I always liked the chase.

So yeah. Spill your brain here! I'm curious about what the community wants.

I hope something humourous, but I suspect there will be stuff like "you're found a satellite it's making a humming noise, new upgrade available"  (GPS Pinger) now you have to find other satellites using a gps directional pinger, when you've found them all there's a big bang and your world explodes.

With some brainstorming and research it should be possible to build an engaging story out of the random elements you find exploring.  Whatever story they come up with can be told in a manner similar to ARGs.  If they can somehow tweak the procedural generator to make sure certain story items are found in a certain order they can make exploration and storytelling indistinguishable, and that's what I hope to see from this game.

It would be an even greater degree of difficulty, but it would be amazing if they could take an approach similar to Betrayal at House on the Hill with multiple potential stories and where the items that you find affect which story is being told.  You survive and explore for a while then after you find enough breadcrumbs you trigger some scripted events that are based on the breadcrumbs you did find.  If they could come up with a dozen or so different (but not necessarily highly complex until they put the love in to develop them) stories then it might even be possible to not know which story you're playing until several hours into a save

I would love to have some sort of mothership, where you could store great amounts of items. This ship would have a bigger travel radius than the spaceship but wouldn't be able to land on a planet. It would also be nice to have unique items to collect.

I'm looking at the survival aspect of this game. Just a few type of plants and sandstorm that could kill you is...not hard enough. Make it harder, like "being stranded alone in a planet" feeling. With more limited resources and basic need system.

Also, insert some labyrinth or something?

The story of Astroneer is the one you write yourself.  The game should focus on problem solving and survival.  Each planet should have it's own problem and unique solution.

Terran is fine as a good starting point.  Arid is great as you need to build a base that is protected from the windstorms of death.  The terrain on Exotic is like Swiss Cheese and makes vehicles pointless.  You should only be able to find certain materials on certain planets.  Same with research.

Damage and maintenance should be part of the equation too.  Solar panels need cleaning after storms...etc.  Food and water would be a nice addition.

I want them to build on what they have and am concerned they will reinvent and change the final product away from what we already have and love.

I agree the survival aspect/difficulty should be increased for those who want it. I also would like to see more variety of resources to find in the universe,  varied from planet to planet. A trading system with other Astroneers possibly.What about an economic aspect ... just thinking out loud here....shipments sent back home via the trading center to the corporation would earn you credits... Perhaps you can spend credits at  the spacestation to upgrade your equipment before embarking to your next solar system? 

When building a base.... maybe a tech tree that needs to be researched that allows you to earn the ability to place and manipulate the power conduits vertically... they would still need to be placed on the terrain but if we could do that base architecture would take on a whole different dimension.

These are all great gameplay ideas that might be tangentially connected to story, but as far as the potential narrative of the game...

The Astroneer (or small team of 4) clearly came to this solar system on purpose, and clearly isn't the first.  Given that wreckage is scattered over all of the planets there have been multiple incursions.  Also, all of these signs of former life are small, 1 to 4 occupants and apparently met with tragic ends.  The Astroneer is not unique, but the latest in a long line of travelers that have ended up here.  Furthermore, the trade station indicates that the Astroneer has support from outside of the system.  However, this support is not free and in fact is only available to those able when paying for it.

So we have the questions that make a narrative:

Why did the Astroneer come here?  How many have tried before?  Why did they risk so much to try this?  Why didn't they come back?  Or did some make it back?  Is this for science, or treasure, or glory, or just because it was there?  What is the culture they came from like?  Why only small teams, a limitation of their FLT drive or multiple private groups?  What motivates and inspires this spacefaring culture?  What do they fear?  Who do they care about?  How much do they lose when they come here?  What is holding them back from sending more?  Why have so many expeditions already failed?  What is going on here?  For how long?

• 1 month later...

It would be cool if you part of a rescue team sent to recover some lost astronauts (dead astronauts) and only find to remains of their rockets and them. Because of this you need to complete what they didn't which was to colonize all the alien planets you can.

Also it would be awesome if there were other astronauts, like some of them in the satellite (the one in the main menu) giving you tips,orders or warnings about incoming storms.

I would like it to be a little more mmo. Being able to meet other astronauts and venture with them would be cool. Finding rare resources/discoveries/beasts, right now it seems to be the same no matter where you go, just a different look (I know it's still in Alpha). Mmo while still maintaining the solo aspect if wanted.

Quests and missions, maybe some bounty hunting.

Being able to customize your astronaut, i.e name and some physical characteristics. Discovering different style suits and suit modifications.

Since they are adding lifeforms later on, something tamable...I love having game pets. Maybe something cosmetic or a mount.

Something like a class tree. Examples would be technition, minor, farmer, builder...etc.

Being able to color items: vehicles, suits, modules, etc.

Lore, discovered through exploration. A treasure hunt system would be awesome.

Edited by Winters

• 4 weeks later...

So far, the planets seem to be rather barren, although the are some with clouds in the sky indicating an atmosphere and ? weather. If some planets have an atmosphere it would be nice to know if it was breathable. Running water and MUCH DENSER VEGETATION would be a plus. Oceans and Marine Life, too. For fun, how about Native Pets? From an economic point of view, new Biological Resources (medicines, drugs, edibles, crops) could be even more valuable than mineral resources.