B&M's Daddy

Wind Turbines should spin & generate energy during storms

Not having wind turbines spinning and generating energy during powerful wind storms seems ridiculous to the point of being frustrating.

1 minute ago, yoavmal said:

Wind turbines lock during too powerful wind in order to not break.

That is a reasonable situation. However as the storm slowly approaches, and after it's peak power, as the storm dies down, sometimes the turbine still isn't spinning at all...

Today's wind generators adjust the angle of attack in an attempt to maintain the desired RPM in variable wind conditions...

Maybe add a 3rd generator, a better one that works in a larger window of wind, from less wind being necessary (idk what wind starts them now...) and running through the storm as too much wind would not be a reason to stop, only too little wind

Well, there have been many suggetions about it before, so all we got to do is wait for the developers to fix it.

There’s a reason people create and play games, especially ones like Astroneer. It boils down to creativity and use of the imagination. In terms of playing games, many do so to take a break from real life, which is often overwhelming and stressful. There’s no reason to limit a wonderful game like this to strict interpretations of IRL scenarios. Why would wind turbines in this game need to have wind brakes applied during storms? I’ve never understood the sheer doggedness some pursue in the name of “realism” when it comes to more creative games like Astroneer, especially with regards to physics. I mentioned this when commenting on a recent game clip (or perhaps it was a screenshot) in the Xbox One club I help admin. Just so happens it was on this very subject-someone was likewise expressing frustration about wind turbines not moving during storms when it’s obvious there’s plentiful wind to convert into needed energy. As an aside, I provide a lot of useful feedback regarding the game (as do many others) so I hope the Devs have someone following the main Astroneer clubs on Xbox One. Either way, the main points I made were:

-the lack of wind turbine movement (and thus power production) during storms or whenever they are near is a long-standing issue that has continued to frustrate the player base from the time the game entered Pre-Alpha. The fact nothing has been done to ameliorate this issue only compounds the frustration. To make matters worse, wind turbines (specifically the larger ones) are not only incredibly unreliable they cost more to unlock than the larger solar panels (which you know you can depend on for a specific part of a “day” to provide energy output), produce less energy when they are working, and you end up needing more of them placed all around your base to have any hope whatsoever of generating any power at any given time (if indeed you’re lucky enough to have any turbines turning at all). I’ve seen players who’ve shown pics of their bases where they’ve built all sorts of wind farms in an attempt to maintain steady energy output. I understand wind isn’t meant to be 100% dependable, that’s not the issue. The whole system could be improved dramatically, and should’ve been overhauled long before now. Not sure why the larger wind turbines don't operate on parity with the solar panels (generating the same power output). This seems like a no brainer, so I’m hoping we’ll see either some explanation or improvements soon (better late than never).

-many players would like to see the wind turbines move during storms and provide energy (I don’t think many care about IRL scenarios tbh, but it’s not like we’ve taken a poll)

-I also pointed out my own opinion (and yes, I do realize it’s just my opinion I’m offering up) with regards to “forcing” too much realism (especially related to physics) into a game. It’s a slippery slope, an easy way to kill the joy, wonder, and excitement especially for a game like Astroneer. I never had any issue with the tethers before the Devs decided to enforce physics (gravity) upon them. I didn’t mind any “floating candle” effects, and I suspect most players didn’t mind either. Now, after I’ve laid my tethers out it nice lines (ok, tbh I’m much more sloppy about it than I used to be, but that’s more related to how tether deployment has changed over time as well) whenever I come anywhere near one while smoothing and flattening terrain (or I happen to be mining resources nearby) it's just a grand mess. They come tumbling down, or fall over, and I have to set them back upright an realign all over again. A few tethers here and there, sure it’s no big deal. But considering I play maybe 4-6+ hrs a day, 7 days a week (it varies of course, but that’s a reasonable guess), you can imagine it gets tedious, frustrating, and tiresome over the long haul. I don’t think we needed specific physics applied to tethers to begin with.

Now that gravity does affect tethers more or less, I think tethers could be refined to make them function better (true of many things in the game). They have a tripod base, so why not weight the base to behave as if it’s much heavier than it is now, so when they drop down or  fall down, they’re much more likely to remain upright? If I were designing a tether, I know that’s how I’d do it. I think that’s how most tripods are designed, to be bottom-heavy so they’re much more stable. I realize I’m applying some IRL physics principles myself, but this has more to do with manufacturing applications after the fact (meaning after the Devs decided to enforce gravity in a strict manner) as opposed to my choosing to apply principles of gravity to tethers themselves as a whole (as I said before, I was fine with gravity-defying tethers, and I doubt many players really complained about it, though I doubt the Devs would ever reverse their decision). Anyway, enough about that.

In summary, there’s no justifiable reason to continue bringing up IRL scenarios about wind turbines (such as speed brakes, etc) with respect to how they should work in the game. The Devs can make them behave any way they choose. It doesn’t make any sense to have wind brakes (of all things!) in Astroneer. Best we can do is hope the Devs will soon update the game to where the wind turbines DO turn during storms. That would be very nice indeed :) 

3 hours ago, Shadow Echo said:

there’s no justifiable reason to continue bringing up IRL scenarios about wind turbines (such as speed brakes, etc) with respect to how they should work in the game. The Devs can make them behave any way they choose

? Sure there is. Is that not the point of this place? Where the players suggest ideas... The devs 'choose' to do the things the players ask for. Comparing game mechanics to IRL scenarios makes perfect sense. Many people look for the realism in a game.

I would like to see the game follow more IRL myself

Short version:

Wind turbines don't even know there's a storm. Currently they all work by the same principles: per turbine RNG.
That will change eventually. It's on the dev roadmap, essentially.

15 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

Wind turbines don't even know there's a storm. Currently they all work by the same principles: per turbine RNG.

Interesting lol... I have never used any, I use solar + battery IRL so I favored that way, good to know

If they are just RNG, then by placing enough of them power becomes more reliable than the US postal service

10 hours ago, bigessess said:

Interesting lol... I have never used any, I use solar + battery IRL so I favored that way, good to know

If they are just RNG, then by placing enough of them power becomes more reliable than the US postal service

They're so RNG, they even work in the core of the planet.

I know a few people who are convinced when they see “visible dust motes” floating by, or I guess I should say blowing by on their screen, it means wind is present currently and they should deploy turbines at that location and time. Idk, I’ve never had great success with the wind turbines and now I’ve stopped unlocking the larger ones. I only make a handful of the small ones now, for some early nighttime power to back up and/or supplement organic generators, and to have for backup vehicle power if I craft them. I can make better use of those Bytes early on. I don’t have trouble getting enough Bytes, not in most of my games, it’s more about when I choose to allocate my points. It does seems random, I must admit. Why else would one turbine turn while another that’s directly it’s neighbor, not? They might turn at different rates but if there really was a “wind current” the game was calculating it would be unlikely to observe this phenomenon, certainly not as often as it occurs in the game? Some crazy silly stuff happens with the turbines, defies logic lol. Sometimes I’ve sworn they’re conspiring against me, refusing to turn and create energy.

Yeah, they are really REALLY weird. i've attached a small one to the small rover, and it generates limitless power. Weirdly it does not stay at the same power level (as it should) but I am GAINING more than I'm losing.

Flowchart.png

Edited by Ben O’Brady
Image was broken