Lemon

Large rover re design

Currently, large rover is having real trouble on rough terrain (which is dominant on most planets).  I propose to expand the large rover to have modular wheels. 4 aluminum will craft the body of the rover, which is not mobile yet. Make an option to craft regular wheels with 4 resin. Add use for Hematite (which currently has no use in crafting) or Titanium to  install tracks instead of regular wheels. Tracks would improve drivability of the rover through rough terrain. Basically turning the rover into a tank-like all terrain vehicle. That would encourage players to saddle a rover and go exploring the planet on the ground. I tried doing so in a current rover and it was horrible on the Arid planet. Exotic is even worse. It is only viable on the Terran, as it is mostly plains.

Moreover, if in the future you plan to introduce flying craft in the game, same rover can be outfitted with or hover pads instead of wheels or tracks. That will save time on designing aircraft.  You can add a craftable hydrazine tank to be used as a fuel source on the hover rover.

Also, why are the wind turbines not working during a storm? thats like the definition of high winds...

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Lemon said:

Add use for Hematite (which currently has no use in crafting) or Titanium to  install tracks instead of regular wheels. Tracks would improve drivability of the rover through rough terrain. Basically turning the rover into a tank-like all terrain vehicle. That would encourage players to saddle a rover and go exploring the planet on the ground. I tried doing so in a current rover and it was horrible on the Arid planet. Exotic is even worse. It is only viable on the Terran, as it is mostly plains.

I think that this would be a highly useful but not too overpowered feature, and an incentive to travel to Arid looking for hematite. Perhaps making the tracks would require titanium and hematite - let's say, 4 hematite and 4 titanium per track. There could be two long tracks, one for each side of the large rover, and that would give it the ability to climb steeper terrain, and gain a lot more stability on crazy bumpy ground or travelling over small crevasses (which will be added in with T2.0). Hopefully Rias or one of the Devs can see this, I can see much potential in your idea! 

I'm assuming by tracks you mean something like this:
Image result for tank tracks

Edited by Exoplaneteer

Also, if you want to attract the attention of the Devs, I suggest renaming your idea to "Track Mod for Large Rovers?" as it is more attracting and may catch the interest of scrolling viewers!

perhaps, the rover itself as a unit will be disbanded, and only the wheels will be printed, and therefor you could open platforms or something else that fits better on it, allowing you to modify your rover to your needs.

Posted (edited)

I was thinking more along the lines of a pivoting quad track.

VersyDelta_zpsfaed4fbd.jpg

Edited by Lemon