Wyvyrias

Astroneer - E3 Reveal Trailer

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mak-a-Face said:

Interesting thing I notice while watching Riley playing the organic extractors 

I'm interested when they will be introduced. I use very few organics now. It usually only takes me 3, 5, 10? minutes to collect all the organics I use. Whatever amount of time it is, it is not long at all. So if I can't unlock this until after the small generator and after I unlock the solar panel and wind turbine these organic extractors will be obsolete? 
But if I unlock them after the small generator and before the solar panel and wind turbine I will be using them for 3 minutes? 5? 10?
But then if I can unlock them straight away, I'm saving 3, 5, 10? minutes sucking up plants? 
Isn't this just something if I use will only use for a very brief period of time at the very beginning of the game? Possibly at the very beginning of each planet? But, most likely not at all.

Then if I can use them for all minerals, why would I need the extractor gun? 
As of this moment it seems like another item I may use, most likely once, maybe for a very brief period of game time or not at all? 
Maybe if someone hated dirt farming and these could be used to suck up soil, then that I could invision however as it stands, if I'm correct, this does nothing for me. 

Edited by The Touch of Grey Gamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Nargg said:

OK, now I get it.

The updates have slowed down tremendously because System Era wants to keep a lot hidden until the final version.  Just releasing enough to look busy, but not enough to let all features out for early access.  I'm not sure I agree with that method, but OK.  Next time I won't jump into early access any more if it's nothing more than bait.

 

Looks like this is the case. I mean they could at least publish some unfinished stuff from the trailer for the experimental branch of Steam. They don't do this, it is obvious the small updates from month to month will continue till launch. They didn't talk about the progress state of Terrain 2.0 and crucial upcoming updates on E3, just the trailer launch and they just referred to the Roadmap which is useless for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree, but also understandable. I hope that they will release terrain 2.0 before the official release of the game. That would at least be my way to do it to be able to get enough feedback to fix possible problems with this core feature. We'll see, but I think that they also discussed this :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikk said:

 

Looks like this is the case. I mean they could at least publish some unfinished stuff from the trailer for the experimental branch of Steam. They don't do this, it is obvious the small updates from month to month will continue till launch. They didn't talk about the progress state of Terrain 2.0 and crucial upcoming updates on E3, just the trailer launch and they just referred to the Roadmap which is useless for us.

I'm totally okay with them keeping the mystery of the black hole planet and the purple building thing in the trailer. I'm looking forward to more framework/features/bug fixing/new things. I'm hoping for patch notes to come today since they did confirm an update would go out this week. 

@SES, I do miss the Vlogs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Vlogs  doesn't make much sense at this point because they have decided to keep all major stuff hidden. They could do a E3 Vlog , the last Vlog was mainly about GDC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:42 AM, reto said:

Agree, but also understandable. I hope that they will release terrain 2.0 before the official release of the game. That would at least be my way to do it to be able to get enough feedback to fix possible problems with this core feature. We'll see, but I think that they also discussed this :).

They will need to release terrain 2.0 before release to get some solid testing on it and fixed Game breaking bugs. I hope it would be released before summer is over but who knows honestly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possibly they don't want solid testing and feedback. I'm not expecting Terrain 2.0 before version 1.0 after the E3 news, the big stuff is hidden. Since February we got only minor gameplay/content updates month after month and the experimental branch is dead since ages. Doubtful if we will see big updates before version 1.0. Several initial Q1 features are not yet released and we are approaching Q3. I do expect three minor updates (0.8.5, 0.9.0, 0.9.5) before the big 1.0 launch in December.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The main issue is more about the existence of Xbox One and Windows 10 Store support. The updates run through a certification there, which means they need to fulfill certain requirements (whatever that may be). On top of that, SES sadly started to absolutely keep Steam and the MS platform in sync. Completely. Even the experimental branch got nuked for that purpose it seems...because the MS platforms don't have such a thing. In the future, once dedicated servers are a thing, keeping them in sync is kinda crucial, though...although not now.

I completely understand the concerns about them keeping everything in-house and only releasing "solid" parts to the public. But Early Access has different meanings after all. Here it doesn't seem to be the usual super in-depth testing that you would see from some other projects (mind, some...there are also some that don't give a damn about feedback), but more like going according to the plan and adjusting as the community reports issues. It's an approach that, in the end, has the potential to make a more "consistent" product, although it doesn't feel as involving as you some people would like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can only speak for myself, I’m notupset or anything that communication hasn’t been great, or that the process hasn’t been involved. I don’t know what the situation should be. It’s more of a sense of frustration, which stems from the overall issue of communication of course but mainly from the not knowing part. There’s another component as well though. It comes from a sense that the Devs themselves either don’t know (what it means, or should mean, to be involved) or what the dynamic should be between them and the players, the community, etc.

 I don’t know much about most of the Devs. When I first started playing, I read a bit about the Devs who founded SES and a few who joined early on, but I don’t really know much of anything about those who’ve joined over the last year or so, or their backgrounds. I know many who founded SES, while they possess a great deal of experience in the industry, are in “unfamiliar” territory of sorts. This is the first time for many of them to experience what it’s like to bring their own game all the way from early development to full release-no easy task. I can’t judge them for what they didn't know. I couldn’t judge them anyway. Everyone has to start somewhere and no one is perfect, that’s what I’m trying to say. The game says “join the discussion” and I’m sure it sounded great to put that out there, but I’m sure it also turned out to be way more complicated in practice than they thought, this whole “communication with players” thing, so yeah it’s more frustration than any sort of anger or being upset, only that because I love the game so much and like so many others here I just want it to be a true success.

If there were a better system of communication, more of a real back-and-forth, give-and-take, I think it would help the game. I don’t use Twitter or Facebook they don’t offer me anything I need. I play on console not PC. I haven’t signed up for the Discord and only rarely check Reddit (nothing against it) but unless Reddit or Discord have active discussions that include the Devs I’m not sure what particular incentive there is in participating as opposed to continuing to use this forum, the one Devs have created for players to use. If the Devs do take a more active role in terms of communication and involvement, I hope they won’t limit their announcement activity to the likes of Twitter and Facebook. Gamers are varied bunch; no social network will reach them all. As someone else mentioned, not sure if here or on another thread, announcements should be highly visible to all, on this forum, but also to those of us playing on Xbox One (I understand right now there are issues regarding what info is released and what is “announced” and I have no idea if there’s some “news” platform for Steam like there is for Xbox). Any news of importance should be clearly noticeable and visible to everyone. Please don’t depend on people checking social networks or YouTube. Thank you  

Edited by Wyvyrias
Fixed formatting (Dark Theme)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

I completely understand the concerns about them keeping everything in-house and only releasing "solid" parts to the public. But Early Access has different meanings after all. Here it doesn't seem to be the usual super in-depth testing that you would see from some other projects (mind, some...there are also some that don't give a damn about feedback), but more like going according to the plan and adjusting as the community reports issues. It's an approach that, in the end, has the potential to make a more "consistent" product, although it doesn't feel as involving as you some people would like it.

 

They needed the money to fund this game in 2016 and 2017, in the meantime they don't need this money anymore in the early access phase and prefer the traditional game development style which is basically hidden to the community. No real status update, no VLOG videos about unreleased game elements anymore, no communication to the community, no major releases. The last status update for dedicated server or Terrain 2.0 is from last year.

Of course they have to update the game from time to time, but they do this with minor releases. Here a new rover, there a new UI text or slightly better performance or new tutorial. The groundbraking stuff will be saved for the 1.0 version. This is enough to fulfill the claim of updates till release.

This is not a true early access  for me. For a true early access they wouldn't be worried about a synced Xbox and Steam update of the game. The big advantage of steam is the game can be updated whenever they want which is crucial for an early access game on PC. Steam allows different branch build updates for good reasons.

In the future if they have to rely on another early access release I'm not sure if they will have the same success after the dishonest Astroneer early access phase.

 

 

And their Roadmap is misleading, they should be honest finally or take it down. In this style it is just a bait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Shadow Echo said:

If there were a better system of communication, more of a real back-and-forth, give-and-take, I think it would help the game. I don’t use Twitter or Facebook they don’t offer me anything I need. I play on console not PC. I haven’t signed up for the Discord and only rarely check Reddit (nothing against it) but unless Reddit or Discord have active discussions that include the Devs I’m not sure what particular incentive there is in participating as opposed to continuing to use this forum, the one Devs have created for players to use. If the Devs do take a more active role in terms of communication and involvement, I hope they won’t limit their announcement activity to the likes of Twitter and Facebook. Gamers are varied bunch; no social network will reach them all. As someone else mentioned, not sure if here or on another thread, announcements should be highly visible to all, on this forum, but also to those of us playing on Xbox One (I understand right now there are issues regarding what info is released and what is “announced” and I have no idea if there’s some “news” platform for Steam like there is for Xbox). Any news of importance should be clearly noticeable and visible to everyone. Please don’t depend on people checking social networks or YouTube. Thank you  

They're pretty active on Discord for sure. Considering there's next to no activity from them here (well, I do know they read stuff here...probably), that activity there is relatively a lot. heh

But yeah, important Astroneer news should be visible here. I try to put up what I can, but as said in another thread, I rely on the information that basically everyone else gets as well. For example, their E3 presence was announced only a few days before the actual E3, and the schedule wasn't even right in all spots (there was some delay, up to one hour). There probably could have been more momentum but eh, I have no clue about that stuff so what the hell do I know about managing that kind of event.🤷‍♀️

I can only tell you to keep an eye on the announcement section here. It's only used by me, so it's subject to delays when they do something while I am asleep or not at home. I guess it's better than nothing, though.
For timed events, the calendar is being used, of course. I could add things there as well, if necessary.

3 hours ago, mikk said:

They needed the money to fund this game in 2016 and 2017, in the meantime they don't need this money anymore in the early access phase and prefer the traditional game development style which is basically hidden to the community. No real status update, no VLOG videos about unreleased game elements anymore, no communication to the community, no major releases. The last status update for dedicated server or Terrain 2.0 is from last year.

Of course they have to update the game from time to time, but they do this with minor releases. Here a new rover, there a new UI text or slightly better performance or new tutorial. The groundbraking stuff will be saved for the 1.0 version. This is enough to fulfill the claim of updates till release.

This is not a true early access  for me. For a true early access they wouldn't be worried about a synced Xbox and Steam update of the game. The big advantage of steam is the game can be updated whenever they want which is crucial for an early access game on PC. Steam allows different branch build updates for good reasons.

To be frank, and he realized that himself: Joe is a bit overloaded. For some reason he seems to be tacking care of things that are not really what he should be dealing with. He's doing QA testing a lot, partly even on a day off. That probably will change soon and Joe can actually focus on his job, to communicate. I barely know what SES is up to myself, so I guess it makes sense that the community knows even less. Development still seems fine to me, but some decisions truly are questionable.

3 hours ago, mikk said:

In the future if they have to rely on another early access release I'm not sure if they will have the same success after the dishonest Astroneer early access phase.

Heh, don't worry about that, it'll be always fine no matter what happens. People don't really care about the developer behind a game.
I used to hang around in a community for a game called StarForge (I got the founders pack). That game was in Early Access for several years, made next to zero progress, was only made out of Unity store assets and was eventually just labeled as "1.0", then they disappeared entirely, removed their forums and eventually removed the game's store page, due to the completely negative rating.
Shortly after they started making another game called Reign of Kings. No real progress there either, mostly an asset flipper, huge cheaters and performance issues...still sold pretty damn well and left Early Access in less than 1 year, without any real progress, of course.
What do we learn? The majority can't be bothered to research or read at all. They buy something they think looks nice and complain later if it doesn't turn out to be what they wanted.

3 hours ago, mikk said:

And their Roadmap is misleading, they should be honest finally or take it down. In this style it is just a bait.

Bad, bad mikk! heh
I know it wasn't absolutely crystal clear, which is why I told Vero to add a note and move it to the very start of the roadmap: It's a Development Roadmap. Mind the "Development". It does, by no means, represent any release schedules, but rather when they work on features. To quote the note:

Quote

- PLEASE NOTE: This is a development roadmap, not a shipping roadmap. Features are sorted by the Quarter that they are intended to be worked on, but not necessarily released. Features will be added, moved, removed, and their timing will be adjusted as development progresses! Keep checking for updates.

I know, yet another questionable decision to make something like that when we all know lots of people are gonna misunderstand (honestly, even I did for a while).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:


🤷‍♀️

 

 

I know, yet another questionable decision to make something like that when we all know lots of people are gonna misunderstand (honestly, even I did for a while).

 

What is the point in a Roadmap when we don't see the developed features ingame? It's just a bait and nothing more in the current form. Either make a game release roadmap or just a development roadmap for 1.0. We have several Q1 features not yet included by the end of Q2. And even worse they are hidding the updates now not matter if a feature is finished or not, so it makes even less sense. Be honest and give us an early access Roadmap, even if there are only minor things listed. At least it isn't a bait then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mikk said:

What is the point in a Roadmap when we don't see the developed features ingame? It's just a bait and nothing more in the current form. Either make a game release roadmap or just a development roadmap for 1.0. We have several Q1 features not yet included by the end of Q2. And even worse they are hidding the updates now not matter if a feature is finished or not, so it makes even less sense. Be honest and give us an early access Roadmap, even if there are only minor things listed. At least it isn't a bait then.

As I told you, it's not bait.
Misinterpreting it yourself doesn't change it's purpose. It tells us when they plan to work on something, which gives us a rough estimate of when we may get those features at the earliest. Not every developer can set absolute roadmaps. Saying "this feature comes out at this point" means promising, which means you'll be lying if you can't do that. May as well avoid that disappointment at all.
And the remaining Q1 features simply have been moved to Q2. They're not hidden. Trello has an activity log.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i can see its not bait, but i really cant understand why they cant fix the quality of life bugs, the ground tearing, in multiplayer the dysnc between host and others with floating res on every planet but the home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now