Wyvyrias

Astroneer - E3 Reveal Trailer

That thing looks impressive! (insert joke here) Very excited for the future...

Question: is the game getting any updates before December, or 1.0 will be the next?

Nice. Only some small spoilers, I think. I've seen something that looks like a big black hole, the bling-bling purple thing, and meteorites. Maybe the bling-bling-thing is a way to travel trough the black hole or something? I'm excited! :)

Posted (edited)

Are the X's on boxes placeholder art?

(I'm very new to forums so I apologize in advance if I make any mistakes)

Edited by Raw Toast

0:37 new planet?
0:39 new plants?
0:41 new plant that comes down and spanks you
0:42 Awesome!
0:42 new wreckage?
0:43 astroneer with red arm bands? Red outline backpack?
0:45 I’m assuming man made?
0:48 new box?
0:51 wasn’t this in some video or something?

0:52 Awesome!

0:56 in. Just to the left of the blue and white research pods do I see a black astroneer?

On the far right next to the large rover the little box on the ground do we have that now?
On the left do we have that barber pole box now? Or is that new?
How about the claw big box next to it?

Also, what type of platform is the habitat on?

0:57 there is another box behind the astroneer with the black boots, under the platform, under the habitat, what is that box?
Is the astroneer on the ground in front of the rover wearing new boots?
0:58 that astroneer dead center sure looks like a black suit
0:59 that black astroneer sure looks like those boots have heels
0:57 – 0:59 I’m counting 8 astroneers?

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, vvhorus said:

Question: is the game getting any updates before December, or 1.0 will be the next?

Yes indeed, they're cooking one up right now that's going to Microsoft certification this week. 

3 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

0:58 that astroneer dead center sure looks like a black suit

0:57 – 0:59 I’m counting 8 astroneers?

There's a few new suits in the trailer, and dedicated servers will bring MS/Steam crossplay and increased player numbers! 

Sorry for the third post, but here's the video containing of one of the interviews, which starts around the magical time of 4:20:00 (thats 4hrs 20minutes into the video) 

Shows off a bit more of the new UI and answers a couple of questions. 

https://player.twitch.tv/?video=v272418272

Edited by Wyvyrias
Merged posts

2 hours ago, Blind Io said:

Yes indeed, they're cooking one up right now that's going to Microsoft certification this week. 

There's a few new suits in the trailer, and dedicated servers will bring MS/Steam crossplay and increased player numbers! 

Sorry for the third post, but here's the video containing of one of the interviews, which starts around the magical time of 4:20:00 (thats 4hrs 20minutes into the video) 

F O R U M S ! ! ! !

Joe didn't even mention their own forums in the interview.

Come on, @SES_joe, familia, use your own forums! There's plenty pf people already here!

Other than that, the new gameplay footage looks amazing. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

22 hours ago, vvhorus said:

There will be an update this week(I think it was said on the stream yesterday).

12 hours ago, Blind Io said:

which starts around the magical time of 4:20:00 (thats 4hrs 20minutes into the video) 

Now, you're (finally) talkin my language!

Hate the white text boxes. Those suck actually. Hate the fact that tethers are still being used. Those suck actually. 
If the only way to play the black astroneer is to play with high heels....... I can let my inner femmine space side shine while playing, no worries!

I noticed that when the astroneer went back to the tree (with the broken wheel vehicle with one wheel on the ground), was that producing organic's all by itself? Did I see that properly? If so, will we be getting some sort of autofarmer type gizmo that will gather resources automatically? It looks like the mechanics are not worked out, or at least in that scene but sure seems like it could be some type of automated farming mechanism.

Ok so the purple triangle thingy is to open challenges? I just hope at least one challenge is designed for the adults that play this game.
It would not be such a bad thing if SES recognized that adults play this game as well and maybe just maybe after two years of ownership that players would at least be given the option to not have their grown up hands held like little kiddies every single step of the way. 
Trust SES, I know what Resin looks like. I don't need the text, the immersion killing text, floating in the air pointing out the painfully obvious. I don't need the neon green circle pointing out the compound. Please give us adults the option to play the game like adults. Keep the kiddy text for the kiddies, I'm fine with that. Just give us an option for no text, what-so-ever. NONE, NADA.... ever!

So we won't have the option to choose, mix/match our own suit colors? However there will be more so that is good (finally). I hope there is at least one different suit for each player allowed in multiplayer so we can tell each other apart. No, I don't want names floating above Astroneers. It is ugly, unnecessary & at the least should be a server host option or game starter option to have or not. 
Any word about mods? Where are we on that? Where is the modding community at?

Was that a steam shovel type box? 

What say ya'll?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

What say ya'll?

Yes, those were organic "harvesters"(?) attached to the tree, and yes, the organic was re-generating. That is awesome. I rarely use the small generator because collecting organic has been such a P.I.T.A., but those things will make me rethink my approach to energy.

Finally, abandoned bases from dead astroneers! That will make long-range exploration more viable.

I agree about the option to remove floating text. In the gameplay footage, I did notice that text was shown inside boxes, which I think looks more appealing than just floating text.

My only question would be now: was that showcased gameplay the update we're getting this week?

Edited by vvhorus

1 hour ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Trust SES, I know what Resin looks like. I don't need the text, the immersion killing text, floating in the air pointing out the painfully obvious. I don't need the neon green circle pointing out the compound. Please give us adults the option to play the game like adults. Keep the kiddy text for the kiddies, I'm fine with that. Just give us an option for no text, what-so-ever. NONE, NADA.... ever!

You're so right.!!! I play on xbox one and the text "Y open backpack" never goes away!
After hundreds of hours of playing, I know how to open my backpack!? It really removes the immersion in this fabulous game.
That said, I'm so excited about the next update and version 1.0 in December

4 hours ago, Al Sypiade said:

You're so right.!!! I play on xbox one and the text "Y open backpack" never goes away!
After hundreds of hours of playing, I know how to open my backpack!? It really removes the immersion in this fabulous game.
That said, I'm so excited about the next update and version 1.0 in December

This'll possibly be changed in the update, but to get rid of the text you need to complete the tutorial - print and turn on a small genny, print tethers and a canister. 

Thank u "Blind Io"

I never use the small genny at the begining of a game. I'll try next time.

Best regards

Posted (edited)

Amen to turning hints off. I’ve played since Jan 2017. I don’t need hints lol. Now I realize as the game continues to change, I might need a few prompts briefly as it does. However, I catch on pretty quick (been gaming awhile, since the 70s with Atari) so yes I think we should be able to remove the floating text and other “hints” in the menu by launch similar to how many other types of games allow you to disable hints and other similar “dialogue” and features in them. That would be nice. Saw the tree/plant with the curled, snarled “claws” that was shown in one of the VLOGs made it into the trailer, I think it was related to the explosion near the more rotund Astroneer. I don’t think I saw a plant like that involved in a later explosion (I can’t be certain) so I wonder if the other one was related to a more distant plant that lobbed an explosive payload. If it was, that also was demonstrated in a VLOG, the one about the Pumpkins with various defensive (perhaps offensive as well) mechanisms. I’m not too found of increasing overall hostile flora certainly not on Terran, although I think in isolated areas on certain planets where there will likely be “high risk high reward” it could work out ok. I wasn’t all that pleased to see the same overall theme (pumpkins, over and over ,with same acid cloud ordinance just deployed in a different manner) I’d rather see them come up with new flora deploying new types of ordinance but I guess given the time involved it might be unrealistic. If they continue to work and delvelop the game past 1.0 like they said they would, hopefully we’ll see more variety as well as complexity.

And hopefully storms will get more balance. They are a mess right now. Too big, too much slowing and it lasts too long, sometimes the slow doesn’t ever dissipate (I’ve frequently had to exit and reload my game) and storms underground are simply ridiculous. If we were witnessing some asteroid storms, that could be incredible so long as we have some hope of seeking shelter rather than instant death (then again, that could’ve been preview of the storyline, that’s what I think the black hole was, laying out some background to the story as to why our initial mission went fubar, why we’re stranded without a support “mother ship” why there are no comms, etc. Who knows really, but it’s a possibility. The mother ship didn’t see the black hole until multiple pods had released to the planet below. This is just a teaser trailer, no doubt many items will change, be modified, and morphed as the months go by heading into December (and I’m not convinced December is set in stone, if it happens that’s great but I want the team to take the time they need to make the game stable as well as awesome). Lots of intriguing box art to look forward to unraveling, and that big launch/landing pad was so awesome. The purple alien-tech “portal” or whatever it is, super cool. Very excited! 

P.S. Really would like to see the floating menu buttons at start (like X and Y for Xbox which is what I use) disappear after a few seconds. It’s VERY annoying to have them persist and continue to OBSTRUCT your view when you’re trying to mine and do other things, I don’t think it’s necessary and in fact it gets really frustrating. Please Devs?

Edited by Shadow Echo

OK, now I get it.

The updates have slowed down tremendously because System Era wants to keep a lot hidden until the final version.  Just releasing enough to look busy, but not enough to let all features out for early access.  I'm not sure I agree with that method, but OK.  Next time I won't jump into early access any more if it's nothing more than bait.

If there are going to be meteorites, then I demand anti-meteor defense towers.  Perhaps as a later game extraordinary research challenge, but at least give us a way to counter them.

Not sure I’d call Early Access “bait.” Each game that falls under the Early Access/Game Preview heading states clearly via disclaimers that one shouldn’t purchase if you aren’t satisfied with the product “as is” given the developer. This applies to all such titles and studios, not just SES. They may decide at any time to discountinue any further development. I played the trial version available for Astroneer back in January 2017 and had a blast even though in comparison to where we are right now, it was quite limited. Some things I liked even better back then, think it was Patch 118. It was terribly laggy of course, had the old basebuilding system, the tiny lifepod “hab,” there wasn’t any dynamite, the small rover was made out of compound as was small solar lol, many things were unlocked off the bat including most of the pack. We’ve come a long way! Love the new basebuilding, and the new small rover is a blast.

One of the earlier changes, which I personally consider to be a huge aesthetic blunder, was the change of terrain fill color from same terrain color to gray. Really? Gray??? What a horribly dreadful drab color, there’s a reason it’s associated with “institutions” ugh. While I’ve read some players do like it (to mark territory they’ve traveled and other purposes) I believe there are other ways to accomplish this. Altering the terrain is quite noticeable; terrain that has been “manipulated” is often quite obvious although granted generally not at large distances. If that is required it’s easy to build up a column of dirt (so to speak) no matter the color. Alternatively, one can simply deploy a beacon, whatever one’s preference, to mark areas ventured into or through. It’s interesting how the E3 trailer featured same color terrain fill, the same way it was before the change to gray was made (iirc as part of the TAR update). I’m hopeful this wasn’t simply a case of reusing old trailer footage (unfortunately I think it was, but I’m crossing my fingers so to speak) and represents a change back to the old way of doing things. This game is so beautiful, so colorful as well, I was heartbroken when of all colors this industrial lifeless drab gray was chosen as our default “fill” for terrain. I know, I’m on a personal soapbox here, but it’s long been the biggest pet peeve of mine and it occurred without any explanation (that brings up other issues though, the overall huge lack of communication between the Devs and the community that is supporting them, there’s no discussion going on at all at least not here on the forum they created and invited players to “join the discussion” it makes you wonder exactly what discussion they were referring to?). Also worth noting-the Patch Notes are only “highlights.” I know many, including myself, would appreciate a more comprehensive change log for each update. There are always quite a number of changes that occur with each update, some significant, but not mentioned in the Patch Notes. While some are more “bug/issue” than “change/feature” it’s still nice to know what the Devs are aware of, what all they’ve tweaked, etc. Using plain language (nontechnical terms) is a must as well. SES would do well to glance at Warframe’s Patch Notes. They’re both extensive and easy to read, plus it’s also a PC/console game. 

Taking the color topic further, I think it would be amazing if, down the line after 1.0 release, we could choose our starter planet’s color scheme (possibly other planets as well but let’s keep it simple for now, just thinking about it). Maybe not completely free choice idk (although that would be awesome for sure) but I was bouncing around ideas earlier and thought perhaps, after completing whatever campaign there might be, what an incredible, personal experience it would be if you could choose. For example, if there were certain possible presets, maybe they could be something like pastels (light colors), tropical (not much different than the bright green, orange, purple, but maybe add a few other bright colors), primary colors, earthen hues (tan, brown, cream, forest green, etc), desert camo (not actual camo patterns, although patterns might bring another dimension way down the line idk, interesting thought, but I was thinking more like shades of tans and browns but without greens), ice/snow (whites, blues, purples, etc), and the like. There could be holiday versions or themes as well. 

While many have suggested “mods” (as in, PC mods) I do have some concerns. I exclusively play on console (we multiple consoles in our house: Xbox One, PS4, Switch, Wii). I have severe chronic back problems, other chronic pain, arthritis, and other medical issues so gaming on PC just isn’t possible for me right now. I hope those of us who have long supported Astroneer on console don’t get left out of the modding scene, intentionally or otherwise. Having played Skyrim SE, I know it’s “possible” for a Developer to support PC mods on console, but it’s not easy, and I suspect it’s probably not cheap (although I have no idea what’s involved). I’m not even sure it’s realistic to consider Astroneer supporting PC mods (that are then modded to work on console) given the small size of SES. It’s one thing for Bethesda to do it for two hugely popular franchises, quite another for a fledgling indie studio to do the same for a brand new IP. I’m thinking that may not leave us console players with much, other than the hope that SES grants us customization options that keep the game “relatively” on par with what can be found on the PC version (within reason of course, there’s no way to expect keeping up with everything a robust PC-modding community can create and throw out there, not to mention the mods that are more “cheat/exploit” than anything-those aren’t the sort of mods console players really must have).

Returning to the original point though, I don’t feel like Early Access/Game Preview is necessarily unfair or is baiting the consumer. Like most things the buyer should be aware of what they are purchasing, getting into. I have read some criticism of the entire model (stuff that’s not specific to Astroneer or SES at all) that argues it artificially lengthens the development process rather than enhancing it through player feedback and participation, that having money upfront discourages more than prompts (at least some, maybe the majority) of developers to follow through and continue with regular updates and finish their games. I have no idea about any of this. My experience is limited to Astroneer, which I’ve played a ton of, and Subnautica, which I’ve only played a little of (although I've enjoyed what I’ve played). I’m sure other people have had much more experience with this sort of development system for games than I, so it would be interesting to see what input others have, what their experiences have been. Seems to me it’s quite a mixed bag. On one end you have big money makers like Fortnite, similarly Ark. At the other end you have much smaller games like a Astroneer that aren’t very well known. There’s a lot in between though, Subnautica for example is relatively popular. With such variety, I’m skeptical about painting the entire category with such a wide brush.

1 hour ago, avitous said:

If there are going to be meteorites, then I demand anti-meteor defense towers.  Perhaps as a later game extraordinary research challenge, but at least give us a way to counter them.

I don’t think they were meteorites. I was watching the E3 trailer again (a few times actually) last night on YouTube on my Xbox One and afterwards I clicked on a video by someone I’ve seen listed there before (who I “thought” made Astroneer YT vids regularly, now idk) to watch their “detailed analysis” of the trailer. I wasn’t impressed. But they had the impression perhaps there were meteorite impacts, that’s where I got it from. I know one of these so-called impacts occurred next to one of those plants that I believe was shown in early art development phase in a VLOG (a good while back) that had some sort of claw appendices at its base (I don’t think we saw what it was supposed to do though, but it’s been a very long time since I watched it, I only saw the VLOG once). The next once (explosion) I didn’t see a plant nearby but it happens so fast anything could have caused it, which is why I wondered to myself if it had been launched from a nearby pumpkin or other flora maybe from a nearby excavated cave tunnel (I’m just theorizing though). We’ve seen in a VLOG where pumpkins and spikers could potentially lob explosive acid ordinance. Overall it’s important to realize this is just a “teaser.” It’s not set in stone, it’s meant to (1) raise awareness of the game, get people talking about it, specifically people who don’t know about it and haven’t played it yet, and (2) get people who do know about it, who may or may not have played it, but also those of us who have played, really excited and hyped about the future, what’s to come. I think it does a great job of accomplishing those goals. I’m not expecting everything we saw to come to pass, nor am I expecting only the things included to be the only things in the next updates leading up to release. They’re still working on many things they won’t dare talk about or reveal right now. This is an appetizer to whet our appetites, leave us hungry for more. I know I want a lot more! :D 

I won’t mention who did the video, but wow, I was left wondering “do you even Astroneer bro?” This person saw the module with the circular arrows on it and thought maybe it was a recycler. Granted, that idea has been bounced around, suggested, and would be kinda neat, but it was just the Mineral Extractor’s icon art. They thought the Fuel Condenser was new too, but failed to recognize its icon art as well. The didn’t recognize the chest plate of one of the standard characters, but that’s a bit more forgivable (I only two of the four; the first one and the orange one which is third iirc). I use the orange one for the first several savegames I make right after an update, then I eventually switch over to the first one because, in my mind at least, it has the most “feminine body” (yes I’m a female gamer lol).

Perhaps one day, though, the Devs will make a mobile spin-off.

Astroneer: Asteroid Tower defense mode (I’m just kidding of course!) xD 

12 hours ago, Nargg said:

OK, now I get it.

The updates have slowed down tremendously because System Era wants to keep a lot hidden until the final version.  Just releasing enough to look busy, but not enough to let all features out for early access.  I'm not sure I agree with that method, but OK.  Next time I won't jump into early access any more if it's nothing more than bait.

i can see them doing this, which i really wouldnt mind but at least fix the huge multiplayer bugs and ground tearing. if some of the bugs were tamed i wouldnt mind the lack of content until 1.0 launch, mostly cuz i have fun doing random stuff in multiplayer

On 6/13/2018 at 3:37 AM, vvhorus said:

F O R U M S ! ! ! !

Joe didn't even mention their own forums in the interview.

Come on, @SES_joe, familia, use your own forums! There's plenty pf people already here!

He did mention the main website, didn't he? That one links to the forum as well.

13 hours ago, Shadow Echo said:

(that brings up other issues though, the overall huge lack of communication between the Devs and the community that is supporting them, there’s no discussion going on at all at least not here on the forum they created and invited players to “join the discussion” it makes you wonder exactly what discussion they were referring to?)

Thank you!! ?

14 hours ago, avitous said:

On the twitch stream interview (link above, thanks to @Blind Io) Joe said it was an aggressive plant...

18 hours ago, Blind Io said:

to get rid of the text you need to complete the tutorial - print and turn on a small genny, print tethers and a canister. 

Not true or at the least does not work for me, has never worked for me. I think this is either myth or worked many many versions ago. It does not work today.

oh thats just dandy. I can see it in my head... rove the surface for hours, see a sweet crash site, step out, get smacked by a meteor, lose your rover, punch a screen...

Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2018 at 4:55 PM, Blind Io said:

here's the video containing of one of the interviews, which starts around the magical time of 4:20:00 (thats 4hrs 20minutes into the video) 

Interesting thing I notice while watching Riley playing the new tutorial was that these maple syrup extractors, oops I meant organic extractors on a tree on Barren. I was surprised it wasn't filling canisters, that way we could boil the maple syrup, oops I meant organic juices and produce some oxygen.?

9No8ZnW.png

Edited by Mak-a-Face