Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Have you ever been exploring a cave randomly, and then you suddenly find a dead Astroneer? It's a chilling reminder of all the failed missions and the mystery of EXO Dynamics. Picking up the pack, you grab as much as you can before continuing on your journey. But there's a problem with this. Where are the dead Astroneer's bases? Where did they smelt any copper or aluminum you find in their packs? How did they get oxygen to even get down into the cave? It really doesn't make sense. Therefore, I think the inclusion of abandoned Astroneer bases would be awesome and give a sense of scale in the universe of Astroneer. The bases could contain a few materials, but the modules would be unmoveable or broken. If you're really lucky, there could be an abandoned buggy docked in a broken vehicle bay. I think that this would be a great addition and an incentive for exploring and discovering the planets - different planets could maybe have different types of bases. Or maybe these bases could contain story elements like the crashed lifepods in SubnauticaIf anyone has any more ideas like this, let me know! I really think that this would be a great addition to Astroneer!

-Cheers, Barry

Edited by Exoplaneteer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Exoplaneteer said:

Have you ever been exploring a cave randomly, and then you suddenly find a dead Astroneer? It's a chilling reminder of all the failed missions and the mystery of EXO Dynamics. Picking up the pack, you grab as much as you can before continuing on your journey. But there's a problem with this. Where are the dead Astroneer's bases? Where did they smelt any copper or aluminum you find in their packs? How did they get oxygen to even get down into the cave? It really doesn't make sense. Therefore, I think the inclusion of abandoned Astroneer bases would be awesome and give a sense of scale in the universe of Astroneer. The bases could contain a few materials, but the modules would be unmoveable or broken. If you're really lucky, there could be an abandoned buggy docked in a broken vehicle bay. I think that this would be a great addition and an incentive for exploring and discovering the planets - different planets could maybe have different types of bases. Or maybe these bases could contain story elements like the crashed lifepods in SubnauticaIf anyone has any more ideas like this, let me know! I really think that this would be a great addition to Astroneer!

-Cheers, Barry

I made a post about it long time ago.

The idea is good, although you then need to find a way to remove/fix the base in order of it not to disturb you.

Further more, maybe there will be bytes in the person's backpack?

Or maybe a chance of finding an artificial research pod (although really low chance).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, yoavmal said:

I made a post about it long time ago.

The idea is good, although you then need to find a way to remove/fix the base in order of it not to disturb you.

Further more, maybe there will be bytes in the person's backpack?

Or maybe a chance of finding an artificial research pod (although really low chance).

That's a really good idea. Maybe there could be some sort of tool to fix broken objects, but it would be large (like a crane) as of to make it hard to actually repair? The bases would be rare. The bytes in the Astroneer's backpack is a really good idea since he/she would have collected at least a few in their journey, and it would make sense if we could transfer theirs into our research device. As for the artificial research pod, do you mean a pod where the Astroneer would store bytes in the pod, put it in the base, and we could grab it for the bytes? That could work, but since we don't have the ability to do that (yet) and there seems to be no reason not to keep all your bytes in your pack, I'm not sure. Thank you for your input!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, bigessess said:

They were in one of the many piles of wreckage you find of course

Yes, there are wrecks, but none of them are actual bases in which an Astroneer could generate materials with a smelter, access oxygen, or gain power. They're all crashed spaceships, as if to represent all the failed attempts by EXO Dynamics to land on Terran and the other planets. I'm suggesting we have abandoned bases, like the ones we build to survive, since it would explain how those dead Astroneers in caves could have survived that long without oxygen and/or power and accessed the materials we find on them. It would also add another layer of depth to the game. Above, I explain how one could maybe even fix a base. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Exoplaneteer said:

Thank you for your input!

Well thank you!

If you do like my idea, i'll explain it furthermore; there are 3 possible options to pass the bytes from our fellow dead to us, the first is by simply connecting the astroneer's bytes machine with the dead astroneer's machine by some cable.

The scond one is just opening both backpacks at once and opening both bytes machines, attaching them and allowing to play with the bytes, therefor transfering them to our machine.

The third way is by a disk on key (israeli invention which i'm very proud of), and just taking the disk on key and putting it on your machine and achieving bytes.

And about the artificial research item; it is not so obvious to carry all bytes with you, and its the easyest to research with more power, so if you were this astroneer before it died, you must have left it in the research pod while trying to achieve more power.

If i wasn't clear, you will find artificial research items only in bases with no power source.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think this game takes a lot of cooperation so this idea would be nice because it would take something big to move all of the wreckage. Love this idea because it adds the feel of "i'm the first successful astronaut on this planet" or whatever. I love that perspective.

Edited by OneSpyguy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2018 at 7:45 AM, yoavmal said:

Well thank you!

If you do like my idea, i'll explain it furthermore; there are 3 possible options to pass the bytes from our fellow dead to us, the first is by simply connecting the astroneer's bytes machine with the dead astroneer's machine by some cable.

The scond one is just opening both backpacks at once and opening both bytes machines, attaching them and allowing to play with the bytes, therefor transfering them to our machine.

The third way is by a disk on key (israeli invention which i'm very proud of), and just taking the disk on key and putting it on your machine and achieving bytes.

And about the artificial research item; it is not so obvious to carry all bytes with you, and its the easyest to research with more power, so if you were this astroneer before it died, you must have left it in the research pod while trying to achieve more power.

If i wasn't clear, you will find artificial research items only in bases with no power source.

That's a great idea! I hope that the devs can consider this before 1.0 (you should watch the trailer, it's amazing!). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, OneSpyguy said:

I think this game takes a lot of cooperation so this idea would be nice because it would take something big to move all of the wreckage. Love this idea because it adds the feel of "i'm the first successful astronaut on this planet" or whatever. I love that perspective.

That's exactly what I'm going for. You could get your friends to help you start up an abandoned base or scavenge some of the tech. It really gives you an incentive and feeling of depth!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Abandoned bases are coming. Check the video link in this post and skip all the way to 4 hours 20 minutes for some gameplay of upcoming features, including an abandoned base and other goodies. Glorious...

https://player.twitch.tv/?video=v272418272

Edited by vvhorus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad-ish news. The awesome new update just launched, and it's amazing, with a tutorial and all that stuff. The bad news is that the abandoned base in the video was actually just the tutorial - so now I have no idea if they're gonna be a thing, as with launch pads. If not, I really hope the devs can see this so they can add them :/ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I was talking on discord about abandoned bases to the devs, and they said that it was an interesting idea! I have no idea if they are considering it (or maybe it's already in development), but here's hoping! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now