SES_joe

Update 0.8.0 - June 14th, 2018

Please bring back vechicle beacons. Cannot find them when they fall thru the ground. Thanks for the great game!

On 6/16/2018 at 7:34 AM, Kaz said:

Steam/ 8.0.0

1st:

I will second that Little card removal, I would love to see an option within the menu for the UI, such as Enable/ Disable all resource info cards and other elements,

Preferably in a multi checkbox format,

Resource:  Deposit Enable/ Disable

Harvested Enable/ Disable

Or at least Off/ Simple/ Advanced. For all.

So you can customize the experience, I like the clean UI of this game and would like to remove the Ground cards for resources so my base can have a floor without the cards in it.

Another option is maybe a Toggle button to Show/ hide them but I know that’d be harder with a controller than the KB.

2nd:

I started a new game and have the same issue as Shadow Echo but loaded my old save from 7.0.0 and was able to smoothly join the ground and the initial base area.

I'd like to have it either just the resource symbol, or the symbol plus the name of the resource, or name + symbol + explanation.

Anyone else notice tethers also generate some sort of mirror-like “flash” in your vision off at a distance periodically? It’s a weird thing, but it does happen and I’m convinced it is the tethers that are causing this. It happens both during the day and at night. It’s really bizarre and I’m not sure what is causing it. I haven’t crafted any vehicles in my new gamesaves but I’m sure I’ll miss the vehicle beacons and will lose some vehicles because of it. I have to agree there are some occasions where there are so many beacons around between ones I purposefully deploy and those assigned to vehicles automatically that it can get cluttered. It’s still better than having no locators at all, and thankfully I never built & deployed more than a 2 medium rover chain at a time perhaps with 1 small rover as well.

I’d like to see the entire beacon/marker system be reworked, although I’m not going to hold my breath. The death marking system is completely unsatisfactory and vehicle beacons aren’t much better. The system is particularly dreadful when the item you’re looking for, your vehicle or your own corpse, is underground.  Terrible design when, as you approach the marker yet are still quite some distance from it, disappears from your field of view. How does that make sense? It would be amazing if we had the ability to see the base (or stalk) of the beacon as you continue underground, as if you can see it “through” terrain a little bit, a faint ghost image just enough to continue following the beacon to where something important is located. Something like that, or the ability to ping a location and listen to see if we’re getting closer or farther away from it.

For the regular beacons, not much has changed since color options were introduced. Time to add some more customization choices. Choosing from a list of icons that can be displayed within a beacon would be a great next step. While each person could use an icon to represent whatever they want (in their mind), here are a few ideas: treasure chest (maybe resources to be colleced), magnifying glass (research pods to pick up, or something to investigate further, an area of interest), vehicle or rocket (crafted item beacon), triangle with exclamation in it (terrain hazard, dangerous items, etc), flag (satellite base, rally point for co-op, etc), etc, you get the idea. Perhaps some improvement in the colors available could be made with the addition of more colors if they’d be visibly different. Another awesome option, and alternative to using a beacon + icon combination, would be a numbering system for beacons especially if you could choose to deploy them as a “pack” and set them out in a numbered series for example as you move away from your base in a certain direction (makes it much easier to backtrack and find home). Lastly I’d suggest making all beacons more visible in the sky. They are too easily obscured by clouds. They shouldn’t have a simple white stalk with white outline, that makes them very hard to see at times. Use of some outline, maybe shadowing I’m not sure what would work best and still look great, but the Devs have the tools they need to experiment with it and try all sorts of combos to optimize it. All too often it’s so difficult to see the beacons I’ve deployed because the daylight is so bright and there are so many clouds in the way (often all the way to the horizon). I know the system can be improved. Another item to assist navigation-we should be able to view our compass while driving also.

As for bugfixes and such, the smelter still has problems spitting out ore at random onto the ground. Still some terrain issues.

I keep forgetting to mention an important issue that I suppose first developed back when TAR was released. Imho it’s more aggravating now due to some of the more recent changes in how the backpack tries to organize things in certain ways and with specific priorities. Please fix the very odd backpack priority setting for empty canisters when they’re printed in the backpack. Idk about everyone else, but I prefer my canisters stowed on my terrain tool. Imho it makes the most sense. Terrain tool gathers the soil and dispenses it, so the canisters that make all of this possible should be stored there as well. I tend to stow at least 2-3 soil canisters on my terrain tool, often with an Inhibitor. When I print extra canisters and my backpack is full, despite my Terrain tool having open slots, printed canisters WON’T go into those spots. Instead, newly printed canisters generally are sent to one of the top “power slots” if one is available. This makes no sense. Canisters aren’t related to any sort of power item, so please change this! Only thing I can figure, in the past hydrazine was the only thing stored in the canisters (you could mine it directly, your terrain tool packaged it directly into hydrazine canisters). When you used up a hydrazine canister, it disappeared for good. No reusing the canisters. Hydrazine was removed from the terrain awhile back, and Ammonium added.  They can be filled, emptied, then filled again. That’s not the issue, it’s how they’re sent to the power slots (after crafting) when the main part of the pack is full but the terrain tool still has empty spots to accept them.

Had just about a week to play the newest update and it's nice to see that quite a few things were fixed but also broke a few more. That's the way she goes I guess.

V1 of the tutorial is coming along nicely, just needs a bit of refinement. A few new assets that were shown off like the launchpad on a pedestal, I'm not sure why they included a pedestal underneath it but perhaps it's something to do with the mentioning of water at E3. The only thing I would add to that launchpad would be a gantry with a crane, that would move up while building a multistage rocket. The other asset was the organic tap or extractor, another means of getting organic. They sure seem obsessed with organics, maybe it's something in their diet.

The new UI cards are well done, I especially like the new icons for the resources. It's a great fit for the tutorial but besides that we need a way to disable it like a lot of others have mention. Perhaps a prolong hover over an object or like I've mentioned in another post, having a cleaner interface with less info. With the addition of the new UI cards, was the added sound effects. This can get quite annoying every time you move your cursor over platforms, I don't really think it's necessary.

Had a chance to check out these harvestable research items and I'm not quite sure what to make of it, it's more of the same. We still have resources like Astronium and Hematite that still don't have a use besides research bytes but I digress. The question I have is "Should we kill the goose that lays the golden research?" Well that depends if the goose is worth killing. I still haven't found a reason to kill the goose because when I do dig up or dig underneath, I notice the goose is in worth much.

This is where I would go in a different direction with this idea, currently these harvestable items will re-spawn after four minutes, that's all fine but why not have it so certain formations or plants will only spawn these items during the daytime or nighttime. As for the endless re-spawning of harvestables, why not link the total amount of bytes that the artifact is worth, to the amount that the harvestables will output. This basically links the artifacts to the amount of harvestable bytes that you can get from these plants or formations. Once it runs out that's it.

I would also like to give kudos to the team for fixing an old bug that was annoying when using the crane or just standing, where the camera would wander on its own after a while. Thanks for getting that done.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to the next update.

4 hours ago, Shadow Echo said:

Anyone else notice tethers also generate some sort of mirror-like “flash” in your vision off at a distance periodically? It’s a weird thing, but it does happen and I’m convinced it is the tethers that are causing this. It happens both during the day and at night. It’s really bizarre and I’m not sure what is causing it.

I think it was a vlog with Joe and Adam and they was talking about the new lighting and colors of resources. I remember them showing off this effect on the helmet's visor.

On 6/20/2018 at 6:13 AM, Mak-a-Face said:

Anyone else notice tethers also generate some sort of mirror-like “flash” in your vision off at a distance periodically? It’s a weird thing, but it does happen and I’m convinced it is the tethers that are causing this. It happens both during the day and at night. It’s really bizarre and I’m not sure what is causing it.

On 6/20/2018 at 6:13 AM, Mak-a-Face said:

I think it was a vlog with Joe and Adam and they was talking about the new lighting and colors of resources. I remember them showing off this effect on the helmet's visor.

Pardon my bad quoting skills, but --

I'm seeing 'zaps' of yellow/black lightning or something, which appear to parallel the tether lines, while I'm using the terrain tool.

They might be energy updates to the backpack, and they are intermittent, so ... I just assumed it was a graphic glitch that might need to be tied to the tether lines, and ... yeah, they happen often. Sometimes in the day time, sometimes at night.

Hope this helps.

I’ve figured out what these mirror-like flashes, or zaps as someone else called them, are and what seems to cause them (at least best I can tell). It’s the darn card UI. Another reason to get rid of the stupid card UI popping up all over for each and every tether. Once you know what a tether is, it’s incredibly redundant to need to know what each and every one in a long line of about a hundred or more of them are. If it’s too difficult right now to add a menu option to customize the tethers (turn them on or off) then please, just disable tether cards period. They’re not needed (certainly not past the tutorial).

Now I believe I know what’s happening. I’ll be out and about far afield on Terran (or wherever) and some light source, could be Terran’s sun or moon, or perhaps some other source (it appears to be light-source related) seems to get caught up, reflected by the card UI. This results in the generation of a “flash” off those cards even though they may be very far away. The cards only pop up & flash briefly then they disappear again. I’m not sure why they do this, but it’s distracting. Normally you only see a card pop up near you, and the tethers will do so in order, but these are random & far afield. It’s certainly a peculiar behavior, one that doesn’t seem to tie in with any “intended” visor or other visual effects. Others are experiencing it as well, so I hope it can be remedied. Thank you?

On 6/14/2018 at 4:52 PM, Oh_ said:

2:08 in the Inside Xbox Segment mentions that 'structure' we saw in the trailer - when will we hear more about that? I can't wait to get my hands on all of the cool stuff they have in the works ?

I hope we do!

Am I literally the only one with none of these problems although, storms do seem to be appearing more frequently...

You need to sort out the flatten mod for the tool. The 1 of the basic 3 functions (remove, add, flatten)

In the tutorial you call it the flatten mod but it simply doesn't flatten like you describe,  it edits the terrain based on the angle the center dot is placed. 

It doesn't flatten unless the land you are taking from is flat.

This is misleading to new players especially when you describe it as a flatten tool to give flat surfaces.

The mod gives you the flatten ability,  not the standard tool.

5 hours ago, Raar . said:

You need to sort out the flatten mod for the tool. The 1 of the basic 3 functions (remove, add, flatten)

In the tutorial you call it the flatten mod but it simply doesn't flatten like you describe,  it edits the terrain based on the angle the center dot is placed. 

It doesn't flatten unless the land you are taking from is flat.

This is misleading to new players especially when you describe it as a flatten tool to give flat surfaces.

The mod gives you the flatten ability,  not the standard tool.

It does what it says: It flattens.
At what angle was never described.

Posted (edited)

Is there going to be a hotfix for this patch? It crashed very quickly for myself and two friends

We've switched to the "Experimental" branch, but it seems to be on version 0.6 for some reason

Edited by SnowOrSHine

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, SnowOrSHine said:

Is there going to be a hotfix for this patch? It crashed very quickly for myself and two friends

We've switched to the "Experimental" branch, but it seems to be on version 0.6 for some reason

No hotfix has been hinted at. We'll likely be getting another update in the next couple of weeks, as they're in bug fix mode now. They don't really use experimental any more, I'm not sure why it still exists! 

Have any of you modified any of the config files? At any rate, try deleting the Config folder in %appdata%\Local\Astro\Saved - that seems to have fixed crashes for a few people. 

Edited by Blind Io

9 hours ago, Blind Io said:

No hotfix has been hinted at. We'll likely be getting another update in the next couple of weeks, as they're in bug fix mode now. They don't really use experimental any more, I'm not sure why it still exists! 

Have any of you modified any of the config files? At any rate, try deleting the Config folder in %appdata%\Local\Astro\Saved - that seems to have fixed crashes for a few people. 

Well given that one of my friends installed the game on the day it crashed I'm doubtful that'll fix it, but I'll give it a go regardless, thanks =P

Can you link me to whatever thread that was discovered in if you happen to know?

2 minutes ago, SnowOrSHine said:

Can you link me to whatever thread that was discovered in if you happen to know?

We were troubleshooting on the Discord and that solved the problem in some cases. 

is there a hot fix or any tricks to fix the desync issue in multiplayer games? desync i mean seeing res floating in mid air after its been pulled out of the ground.

On 6/8/2018 at 9:19 PM, SES_joe said:

Position indicators have been removed from vehicles, so be sure to print Beacons and slot them on your Vehicles if you intend to walk very far away! 

So maybe I'm misinterpreting this but beacons slotted onto vehicles don't actually activate. Previously this made sense because vehicles had built in indicators and it would have been noise but now it would sure be nice if I didn't have to pull one out, drop it on the ground any time I park, and hope my vehicle doesn't get moved around too much in the next weather events.

I am still unable to save my progress on xbox 1, version 8.0.  I am able to continue progressing only if I do not exit the game when turning off the xbox; however, Astroneer is not the only game played on my xbox.  As soon as I exit Astroneer, all progress is lost and I'm back to where I started from, or the other option "start a new game".  Please reveal the secret to saving.

26 minutes ago, Donald Jones said:

I am still unable to save my progress on xbox 1, version 8.0.  I am able to continue progressing only if I do not exit the game when turning off the xbox; however, Astroneer is not the only game played on my xbox.  As soon as I exit Astroneer, all progress is lost and I'm back to where I started from, or the other option "start a new game".  Please reveal the secret to saving.

Though it may not work in all cases, try the following;

With the console on, hold the power button for 10 seconds and wait for it to shut down. Unplug the console for at least 20 seconds. After plugging back in, turn on the console and allow it a little time, then start your game. 

Please let us know if this doesn't work! I've shut it down after every astroneer update since around 0.6 and haven't had saving issues since then. 

We've also seen at least one report that clearing Blu-ray persistent storage via the settings menu may solve some issues, though that was related to crashing, I think. 

Are you going to fix all the c*** you made with the latest patch?

image.thumb.png.f7531335298a6146e5f2252a3b4747fa.png

image.thumb.png.e3aa947817e91177b4e1b6a4e0751991.png

image.thumb.png.c15907063d249405ee64776837aa20bd.png

image.thumb.png.84c4cdd2d1b7d56f6b1da445e68e68eb.png

image.thumb.png.011f5929e96171299605eb1787a84a08.png

On 6/28/2018 at 1:51 AM, Motus said:

Are you going to fix all the c*** you made with the latest patch? 

Is this a fresh save? 

On 6/28/2018 at 12:26 AM, Blind Io said:

Though it may not work in all cases, try the following;

With the console on, hold the power button for 10 seconds and wait for it to shut down. Unplug the console for at least 20 seconds. After plugging back in, turn on the console and allow it a little time, then start your game. 

Please let us know if this doesn't work! I've shut it down after every astroneer update since around 0.6 and haven't had saving issues since then. 

We've also seen at least one report that clearing Blu-ray persistent storage via the settings menu may solve some issues, though that was related to crashing, I think. 

Additional to this, another step to try is clearing the Reserved Space for Astroneer via 'my games & apps' management. 

On 6/22/2018 at 8:41 PM, Raaksa said:

Pardon my bad quoting skills, but --

I'm seeing 'zaps' of yellow/black lightning or something, which appear to parallel the tether lines, while I'm using the terrain tool.

They might be energy updates to the backpack, and they are intermittent, so ... I just assumed it was a graphic glitch that might need to be tied to the tether lines, and ... yeah, they happen often. Sometimes in the day time, sometimes at night.

Hope this helps.

@Raaksa This happens when your canisters are full or you don't have any canisters. Your terrain tool ejects the materials that it mines because it can't store any more dirt. The drill head will do the same when all the attached canisters are full. It's just a small particle glitch that has been present for quite some time. Do a test by removing all your canisters and then mining. Hope this helps to answer the yellow zaps. :)

16 hours ago, Blind Io said:

Is this a fresh save? 

Yes sir. You can see the date and the time of the day on the down right of the screenshots.

2 hours ago, Motus said:

Yes sir. You can see the date and the time of the day on the down right of the screenshots.

Thanks. I can't tell if you started this game in 0.8 by looking at the date though :)

Hopefully they got enough saves to recreate the bug, if not they might be in touch ;)

19 hours ago, Blind Io said:

Thanks. I can't tell if you started this game in 0.8 by looking at the date though :)

Hopefully they got enough saves to recreate the bug, if not they might be in touch ;)

Sorry ?

I started this game in 0.6 somewhere this spring (I have the exact date if needed).

I went through 0.7 and 0.8 with the same game... I like walking on my own footprints time after time obviously ?

I know this is a alpha game and everything can go to trash in a snap of fingers, but still... This is painful.

I do know they also make some «experiments» out of us, by trying things and look up after for our reactions... I am not that naive ?

We are the obvious testers, since they don't have much people in their offices in the first place... I hope they will remember to give us the rebate we deserve when the 1.0 game will be released!