SES_joe

Update 0.8.0 - June 14th, 2018

4 hours ago, Shadow Echo said:

Anyone else notice tethers also generate some sort of mirror-like “flash” in your vision off at a distance periodically? It’s a weird thing, but it does happen and I’m convinced it is the tethers that are causing this. It happens both during the day and at night. It’s really bizarre and I’m not sure what is causing it.

I think it was a vlog with Joe and Adam and they was talking about the new lighting and colors of resources. I remember them showing off this effect on the helmet's visor.

On 6/20/2018 at 6:13 AM, Mak-a-Face said:

Anyone else notice tethers also generate some sort of mirror-like “flash” in your vision off at a distance periodically? It’s a weird thing, but it does happen and I’m convinced it is the tethers that are causing this. It happens both during the day and at night. It’s really bizarre and I’m not sure what is causing it.

On 6/20/2018 at 6:13 AM, Mak-a-Face said:

I think it was a vlog with Joe and Adam and they was talking about the new lighting and colors of resources. I remember them showing off this effect on the helmet's visor.

Pardon my bad quoting skills, but --

I'm seeing 'zaps' of yellow/black lightning or something, which appear to parallel the tether lines, while I'm using the terrain tool.

They might be energy updates to the backpack, and they are intermittent, so ... I just assumed it was a graphic glitch that might need to be tied to the tether lines, and ... yeah, they happen often. Sometimes in the day time, sometimes at night.

Hope this helps.

I’ve figured out what these mirror-like flashes, or zaps as someone else called them, are and what seems to cause them (at least best I can tell). It’s the darn card UI. Another reason to get rid of the stupid card UI popping up all over for each and every tether. Once you know what a tether is, it’s incredibly redundant to need to know what each and every one in a long line of about a hundred or more of them are. If it’s too difficult right now to add a menu option to customize the tethers (turn them on or off) then please, just disable tether cards period. They’re not needed (certainly not past the tutorial).

Now I believe I know what’s happening. I’ll be out and about far afield on Terran (or wherever) and some light source, could be Terran’s sun or moon, or perhaps some other source (it appears to be light-source related) seems to get caught up, reflected by the card UI. This results in the generation of a “flash” off those cards even though they may be very far away. The cards only pop up & flash briefly then they disappear again. I’m not sure why they do this, but it’s distracting. Normally you only see a card pop up near you, and the tethers will do so in order, but these are random & far afield. It’s certainly a peculiar behavior, one that doesn’t seem to tie in with any “intended” visor or other visual effects. Others are experiencing it as well, so I hope it can be remedied. Thank you?

On 6/14/2018 at 4:52 PM, Oh_ said:

2:08 in the Inside Xbox Segment mentions that 'structure' we saw in the trailer - when will we hear more about that? I can't wait to get my hands on all of the cool stuff they have in the works ?

I hope we do!

You need to sort out the flatten mod for the tool. The 1 of the basic 3 functions (remove, add, flatten)

In the tutorial you call it the flatten mod but it simply doesn't flatten like you describe,  it edits the terrain based on the angle the center dot is placed. 

It doesn't flatten unless the land you are taking from is flat.

This is misleading to new players especially when you describe it as a flatten tool to give flat surfaces.

The mod gives you the flatten ability,  not the standard tool.

5 hours ago, Raar . said:

You need to sort out the flatten mod for the tool. The 1 of the basic 3 functions (remove, add, flatten)

In the tutorial you call it the flatten mod but it simply doesn't flatten like you describe,  it edits the terrain based on the angle the center dot is placed. 

It doesn't flatten unless the land you are taking from is flat.

This is misleading to new players especially when you describe it as a flatten tool to give flat surfaces.

The mod gives you the flatten ability,  not the standard tool.

It does what it says: It flattens.
At what angle was never described.

Is there going to be a hotfix for this patch? It crashed very quickly for myself and two friends

We've switched to the "Experimental" branch, but it seems to be on version 0.6 for some reason

Edited by SnowOrSHine

13 hours ago, SnowOrSHine said:

Is there going to be a hotfix for this patch? It crashed very quickly for myself and two friends

We've switched to the "Experimental" branch, but it seems to be on version 0.6 for some reason

No hotfix has been hinted at. We'll likely be getting another update in the next couple of weeks, as they're in bug fix mode now. They don't really use experimental any more, I'm not sure why it still exists! 

Have any of you modified any of the config files? At any rate, try deleting the Config folder in %appdata%\Local\Astro\Saved - that seems to have fixed crashes for a few people. 

Edited by Blind Io

9 hours ago, Blind Io said:

No hotfix has been hinted at. We'll likely be getting another update in the next couple of weeks, as they're in bug fix mode now. They don't really use experimental any more, I'm not sure why it still exists! 

Have any of you modified any of the config files? At any rate, try deleting the Config folder in %appdata%\Local\Astro\Saved - that seems to have fixed crashes for a few people. 

Well given that one of my friends installed the game on the day it crashed I'm doubtful that'll fix it, but I'll give it a go regardless, thanks =P

Can you link me to whatever thread that was discovered in if you happen to know?

2 minutes ago, SnowOrSHine said:

Can you link me to whatever thread that was discovered in if you happen to know?

We were troubleshooting on the Discord and that solved the problem in some cases. 

is there a hot fix or any tricks to fix the desync issue in multiplayer games? desync i mean seeing res floating in mid air after its been pulled out of the ground.

On 6/8/2018 at 9:19 PM, SES_joe said:

Position indicators have been removed from vehicles, so be sure to print Beacons and slot them on your Vehicles if you intend to walk very far away! 

So maybe I'm misinterpreting this but beacons slotted onto vehicles don't actually activate. Previously this made sense because vehicles had built in indicators and it would have been noise but now it would sure be nice if I didn't have to pull one out, drop it on the ground any time I park, and hope my vehicle doesn't get moved around too much in the next weather events.

I am still unable to save my progress on xbox 1, version 8.0.  I am able to continue progressing only if I do not exit the game when turning off the xbox; however, Astroneer is not the only game played on my xbox.  As soon as I exit Astroneer, all progress is lost and I'm back to where I started from, or the other option "start a new game".  Please reveal the secret to saving.

26 minutes ago, Donald Jones said:

I am still unable to save my progress on xbox 1, version 8.0.  I am able to continue progressing only if I do not exit the game when turning off the xbox; however, Astroneer is not the only game played on my xbox.  As soon as I exit Astroneer, all progress is lost and I'm back to where I started from, or the other option "start a new game".  Please reveal the secret to saving.

Though it may not work in all cases, try the following;

With the console on, hold the power button for 10 seconds and wait for it to shut down. Unplug the console for at least 20 seconds. After plugging back in, turn on the console and allow it a little time, then start your game. 

Please let us know if this doesn't work! I've shut it down after every astroneer update since around 0.6 and haven't had saving issues since then. 

We've also seen at least one report that clearing Blu-ray persistent storage via the settings menu may solve some issues, though that was related to crashing, I think. 

On 6/28/2018 at 1:51 AM, Motus said:

Are you going to fix all the c*** you made with the latest patch? 

Is this a fresh save? 

On 6/28/2018 at 12:26 AM, Blind Io said:

With the console on, hold the power button for 10 seconds and wait for it to shut down. Unplug the console for at least 20 seconds. After plugging back in, turn on the console and allow it a little time, then start your game. 

Please let us know if this doesn't work! I've shut it down after every astroneer update since around 0.6 and haven't had saving issues since then. 

We've also seen at least one report that clearing Blu-ray persistent storage via the settings menu may solve some issues, though that was related to crashing, I think. 

Additional to this, another step to try is clearing the Reserved Space for Astroneer via 'my games & apps' management. 

On 6/22/2018 at 8:41 PM, Raaksa said:

Pardon my bad quoting skills, but --

I'm seeing 'zaps' of yellow/black lightning or something, which appear to parallel the tether lines, while I'm using the terrain tool.

They might be energy updates to the backpack, and they are intermittent, so ... I just assumed it was a graphic glitch that might need to be tied to the tether lines, and ... yeah, they happen often. Sometimes in the day time, sometimes at night.

Hope this helps.

@Raaksa This happens when your canisters are full or you don't have any canisters. Your terrain tool ejects the materials that it mines because it can't store any more dirt. The drill head will do the same when all the attached canisters are full. It's just a small particle glitch that has been present for quite some time. Do a test by removing all your canisters and then mining. Hope this helps to answer the yellow zaps. :)

16 hours ago, Blind Io said:

Is this a fresh save? 

Yes sir. You can see the date and the time of the day on the down right of the screenshots.

2 hours ago, Motus said:

Yes sir. You can see the date and the time of the day on the down right of the screenshots.

Thanks. I can't tell if you started this game in 0.8 by looking at the date though :)

Hopefully they got enough saves to recreate the bug, if not they might be in touch ;)

19 hours ago, Blind Io said:

Thanks. I can't tell if you started this game in 0.8 by looking at the date though :)

Hopefully they got enough saves to recreate the bug, if not they might be in touch ;)

Sorry ?

I started this game in 0.6 somewhere this spring (I have the exact date if needed).

I went through 0.7 and 0.8 with the same game... I like walking on my own footprints time after time obviously ?

I know this is a alpha game and everything can go to trash in a snap of fingers, but still... This is painful.

I do know they also make some «experiments» out of us, by trying things and look up after for our reactions... I am not that naive ?

We are the obvious testers, since they don't have much people in their offices in the first place... I hope they will remember to give us the rebate we deserve when the 1.0 game will be released!

8 hours ago, Motus said:

Sorry ?

I started this game in 0.6 somewhere this spring (I have the exact date if needed).

I went through 0.7 and 0.8 with the same game... I like walking on my own footprints time after time obviously ?

I know this is a alpha game and everything can go to trash in a snap of fingers, but still... This is painful.

Most of us who’ve played the Pre-Alpha and into the Alpha version can tell you this: each update changes the game significantly (even when the Patch Notes may not be indicative of all that much, they’re not an exhaustive changelog after all). While I’m not sure if it’s highlighted somewhere here on the official forums, I can tell you it’s highly recommended with all updates that any past saved games be deleted and new ones made. While I’m sure the Devs wish they could guarantee a form of “backward compatibility” with our old saves, that’s just not possible. In fact it’s counterintuitive to continued improvement in the game and would be a monumental waste of time and effort on their part. If indeed you’ve been playing on this game save since 0.6 I’d say you’re lucky it’s lasted this long. I’d be thankful to have eked out that much enjoyment from a save, but it’s unlikely you’ll be able to continue given the images you’ve shared. This is an inevitability of game development. We all want the game to continue to evolve and ultimately launch 1.0 successfully.

I get it-losing your saved games can be painful. Many players invest a great deal of time customizing their game worlds. I play on Xbox One and I’ve seen many incredible creations through various Xbox clubs, some of which focus on Astroneer alone. When each new update is released, these wonderful creations break. It’s a bittersweet moment for the creators, but they start fresh and come up with something new, challenging themselves to top their last masterpiece. I encourage you not to be bitter, but to accept this as part of the development life cycle. We’re all part of the bigger process, and the E3 trailer certainly hints at some very exciting things!

23 hours ago, Shadow Echo said:

Most of us who’ve played the Pre-Alpha and into the Alpha version can tell you this: each update changes the game significantly (even when the Patch Notes may not be indicative of all that much, they’re not an exhaustive changelog after all). While I’m not sure if it’s highlighted somewhere here on the official forums, I can tell you it’s highly recommended with all updates that any past saved games be deleted and new ones made. While I’m sure the Devs wish they could guarantee a form of “backward compatibility” with our old saves, that’s just not possible. In fact it’s counterintuitive to continued improvement in the game and would be a monumental waste of time and effort on their part. If indeed you’ve been playing on this game save since 0.6 I’d say you’re lucky it’s lasted this long. I’d be thankful to have eked out that much enjoyment from a save, but it’s unlikely you’ll be able to continue given the images you’ve shared. This is an inevitability of game development. We all want the game to continue to evolve and ultimately launch 1.0 successfully.

I get it-losing your saved games can be painful. Many players invest a great deal of time customizing their game worlds. I play on Xbox One and I’ve seen many incredible creations through various Xbox clubs, some of which focus on Astroneer alone. When each new update is released, these wonderful creations break. It’s a bittersweet moment for the creators, but they start fresh and come up with something new, challenging themselves to top their last masterpiece. I encourage you not to be bitter, but to accept this as part of the development life cycle. We’re all part of the bigger process, and the E3 trailer certainly hints at some very exciting things!

It makes sense. But you sure know how to break the heart of a gamer ? 

Still, thank you very much for your dedication on the forum. It takes one passionate to recognize one another ? 

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:26 PM, Blind Io said:

After several attempts and several combinations, something finally worked.  Thanks for the help.

I tried something today that I've not tried in a very long time.  Just for grins I attempted to run Astroneer on a machine with only Intel Integrated Graphics.  In this case a HD Graphics 5000 system.  Originally this ran so bad it was almost humorous.  Very unplayable back then.  Now, it's actually very playable.  Settings on everything "Low" of course, but again very playable with framerates at what appeared to be almost 30 FPS which is awesome.  Great job on getting the graphics engine tuned so well System Era!