SES_joe

Update 0.8.0 - June 14th, 2018

New tutorial is nice, starting to look like a 1.0 product :)

Just a note with the new card style UI. I was finding it a bit difficult to read some of the text, it was a little on the small side. Playing on a 55" OLED on Xbox One X and sitting at what I would consider to be a normal viewing distance, there was quite a bit of leaning forward and squinting while making my way through the tutorial.

alittle upset that in the tutorial you get to see the new platform and other stuff but new games dosent have it, seems like that would put alot of people off.

Can anyone confirm, just because I won't bother playing right now if the bug is still persisting (until next update, of course) can you still fall through the ground randomly?

Thanks, and good to see progress on the way to 1.0.

Posted (edited)

Please just make all the little “card” boxes go away, after you’ve seen them once or a few times, whatever. Very annoying. Really interferes with the beauty of the game. Big time. Please, pretty please, I’ll beg if I have to. I’ve also experienced the weird bug where I can’t smooth all the way from the tarmac area near center of hab out to the edge, it’ll leave a weird grooved area (almost like it creates a “moat” an empty space where the terrain tool refuses to fill in soil, and I have plenty of soil it just “skips” an area at the very edge of the tarmac and continues filling on the other “Terran” terrain side of things, it’s weird).

Wish I could share my Xbox One pics directly. Right now I don’t have an account with another site to share pics (had a Photobucket account but that was ages ago). The game is on Xbox One, and I sign in here using my Xbox acct, so I wonder why we can’t share Xbox One images. Shouldn’t we be able to through One Drive? Anyone know?

Edited by Shadow Echo

6 hours ago, Shadow Echo said:

Please just make all the little “card” boxes go away, after you’ve seen them once or a few times, whatever. Very annoying. Really interferes with the beauty of the game. Big time. Please, pretty please, I’ll beg if I have to. I’ve also experienced the weird bug where I can’t smooth all the way from the tarmac area near center of hab out to the edge, it’ll leave a weird grooved area (almost like it creates a “moat” an empty space where the terrain tool refuses to fill in soil, and I have plenty of soil it just “skips” an area at the very edge of the tarmac and continues filling on the other “Terran” terrain side of things, it’s weird).

Wish I could share my Xbox One pics directly. Right now I don’t have an account with another site to share pics (had a Photobucket account but that was ages ago). The game is on Xbox One, and I sign in here using my Xbox acct, so I wonder why we can’t share Xbox One images. Shouldn’t we be able to through One Drive? Anyone know?

Yeah, seeing the popup card for a tether, every time you walk past a tether, especially a deployed and functioning one is a bit much.

41 minutes ago, Manky said:

Yeah, seeing the popup card for a tether, every time you walk past a tether, especially a deployed and functioning one is a bit much.

i agree with this, can we have the popup cards go away as an option or something.

Hm, 1-Size Open Seat isn't printable from the backpack, which tutorial suggests at some point and it's impossible to move on for me (the game probably didn't save itself though, since I left) ;) PC version, of course ;)

13 hours ago, Shadow Echo said:

Steam/ 8.0.0

1st:

I will second that Little card removal, I would love to see an option within the menu for the UI, such as Enable/ Disable all resource info cards and other elements,

Preferably in a multi checkbox format,

Resource:  Deposit Enable/ Disable

Harvested Enable/ Disable

Or at least Off/ Simple/ Advanced. For all.

So you can customize the experience, I like the clean UI of this game and would like to remove the Ground cards for resources so my base can have a floor without the cards in it.

Another option is maybe a Toggle button to Show/ hide them but I know that’d be harder with a controller than the KB.

2nd:

I started a new game and have the same issue as Shadow Echo but loaded my old save from 7.0.0 and was able to smoothly join the ground and the initial base area.

Posted (edited)

Tutorial could do with more instruction, esp near the red chamber section, to fully power the research capsule, you should be instructed to pickup a generator and take it below with you. You should also be able to turn off/on all generators once you've read the F1 Power Tutorials.

image.thumb.png.8c9f67df996a55513ca60b1a7de19206.png

Edited by Martin

My general impressions of patch 0.8.0.0 after about 12 hours on the tutorial and a new game:

1. Tutorial. It is ok overall. It was clear to me what I needed to do to complete it. Needs a few additional instructions, though. For example, if someone goes exploring the depths of the cave, they'll encounter most of the hostile plants, wreckages, all kinds of minerals (even Astronium), marbles (I found multiple zebra and checkered kinds), and research pods. I left the tutorial with a checkered ball in the second shuttle slot and a backpack more than half full of Astronium, including a small battery courtesy of one of those black hanging plants. A new player might not figure out how to defend from the plants, or what the minerals are used for. A UI card explaining these things might be useful.
  2. UI. I like the UI. I think it is a step in the right direction, but a setting to disable it would be welcomed. Also, as a suggestion, maybe add a percentage of remaining material in a deposit, and when it reaches 0% the icon disappears completely. That way, we know how much material is left in the deposit and we won't see the icon if there is nothing left. As another constructive suggestion (this comes from my graphic design background), maybe work on a better "Congratulations" tutorial screen and the rest of the info screens throughout the game? A dark gray box on a slightly lighter gray background kind of looks, to use nice words, bland and unpolished. I'm sure SES can do better transitions and info screens.
  3. Live game update. I give it a solid Meh+. The addition of the little regenerating research nuggets is nice, but was not at all significant to my progression once I found the first large research pod. I was also very disappointed that the new features showcased in the tutorial weren't included in the live game. I was expecting something new to do. In my opinion, gameplay-wise, this patch should have been numbered 0.7.1.0. Additionally, not being able to smoothly flatten the terrain around the black tarmac was kind of annoying. The terrain seems to be smoother, and did not experience any terrain issues.

In summary, both the tutorial and new UI are definitely steps in the right direction, but need some additional work. The live game play should have included the new features from the tutorial and/or new things to do/explore. Hopefully the next patch will introduce something new to do...

I LOVE the puzzle tutorial.  Makes me wonder if building more puzzle maps might be a possibility in the future?  Maybe allowing end users to build such maps too.

Sad to see the battery life on larger vehicles is still messed up.  That was probably the worst game play decision System Era has made on this game.  Outright worst.  Tedious does not make for fun game play.

18 hours ago, Kaz said:

Steam/ 8.0.0

1st:

I will second that Little card removal, I would love to see an option within the menu for the UI, such as Enable/ Disable all resource info cards and other elements,

Preferably in a multi checkbox format,

Resource:  Deposit Enable/ Disable

Harvested Enable/ Disable

Or at least Off/ Simple/ Advanced. For all.

So you can customize the experience, I like the clean UI of this game and would like to remove the Ground cards for resources so my base can have a floor without the cards in it.

Another option is maybe a Toggle button to Show/ hide them but I know that’d be harder with a controller than the KB.

2nd:

I started a new game and have the same issue as Shadow Echo but loaded my old save from 7.0.0 and was able to smoothly join the ground and the initial base area.

Finally more support for my original request of making the game "dialable" on settings to tweak the game to the player's liking.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:00 AM, Manky said:

New tutorial is nice, starting to look like a 1.0 product :)

Just a note with the new card style UI. I was finding it a bit difficult to read some of the text, it was a little on the small side. Playing on a 55" OLED on Xbox One X and sitting at what I would consider to be a normal viewing distance, there was quite a bit of leaning forward and squinting while making my way through the tutorial.

Seems like most games these days think that we all have a 100" screen and sit 2 feet away from it.  Small text sucks on consoles and any other TV related device.

The UI cards are good for a new player, but once you’ve read them, they’re annoying and obstructive. At the most, all we should see is a small icon nothing more after we’ve encountered something and seen it’s card (while it may not be possible until release, ideally we’d have tweakable, customizable menu complete with options so we can choose, as others have mentioned, various levels in between all or none). I’ve already said elsewhere the cards are more clutter than the words ever were, and that’s a bummer. If you want to know more, let the icons be expandable so if you choose to focus the cursor on them (perhaps a certain way, just avoid the dreaded hold context action please) then you can access the card with its extended info should you desire to view it again. This game is too beautiful to hide, drown behind all this unnecessary stuff. Even new players will find it unnecessary, learn faster than I think the Devs realize.

Mixed feelings about the red cave part of the tutorial. Not sure I believe the organic “bypasses/cheats” are really needed, but whatever. Players must learn to mine all sorts of things, organic is just one of those things so why give a shortcut so soon. Also think it’s not really fair to include items not in the current build, not without some sort of disclaimer clearly saying so (unless I somehow missed that part). Potentially leads to a big letdown and unrealistic expectations (like “where is that big landing pad, why isn’t it in my catalog!?”), that’s really not a good idea imho. Should be some sort of statement saying “these items are included only for improved experience and flow; they’re currently part of the tutorial demo only. They’re not in the current build” etc. Something to that effect.

Storms, I’ll cautiously say, seem better (not so much slowing, less AoE, not much of an underground effect) but I reserve final word on them because I haven’t spend enough time in the new update to say for sure. I’ve heard from others in the club on Xbox One there’s still a lot of terrain issues like terrain seams, big ones too (apparently in new saves not just old ones) I haven’t revisited any new of my new saves yet to check for myself, but I will be doing so soon.

Just got .8.0.0  There are NO auto blue with three white dot beacons on vehicles!  What happened to them!!!  Makes it Hard to venture very far from your vehicles (rover, space ship) with out losing track of where they where!!! Did anyone encounter this?  Hope .8.1.0 fixes this one! 

Posted (edited)

So the first thing I've noticed after this update is the fact that all save files are either broken or are polluting your base with trees, vegetation, resource piles. Also the invulnerable black circle you start in simply disappeared and now the land was randomly morphed around my base. I had to delete that save file which I spent nearly 100 hours on. Oh well, I kinda expected that to happen. I like restarting anyways. However, upon landing on another planet, I began building my base only to find out that the annoying altitude change from one end of my base to the other, caused the flatten tool to not work properly. There is a huge gap between the starting black circle and the next piece of land which can be manipulated. If you flatten the area around your base, there will be an annoying moat. Another thing I noticed was that it is now impossible to spawn a base in the valley. It only lands on icy biome. This is the beginning of the moat glitch as the icy biome will cause your base to be unevenly elevated to the ground making that world useless and unplayable. After cycling through almost 10 different worlds, I finally found one with slightly even elevation. But, the endge of the black circle still dips in when flattened. Note that in all 12 of these world's, not a single one was the mountains or valley. All icy biome. I enjoy the new UI, but it's not worth ruining the game over. I'm waiting until the next update to play because I'm not wasting another 100 hours on a broken world. Also, I tried the tutorial, and with at least 100 hours on this game, I was stumped because the gameplay is totally different. Eventually, either the tutorial broke, or it became hopelessly difficult. How is somebody who is new to video games ever supposed to figure it out? The tutorial is going to make people give up on this game forever. Additionally, this game is quite simple. There doesn't need to be a tutorial, but if you really have to put a tutorial in, make it actually reflect the real gameplay. What is this? Broken backpack? Crashed rovers? Don't push this is people's faces if nothing you ever learn in the tutorial will ever be useful in the game preview. All you needed was the more detailed UI system. Nobody needed a tutorial, they just needed more UI elements. The earlier tutorial in the game was trash because there wasn't a clear list of objectives, you just had to randomly find instructions somewhere. Put that back in the game but optional, and make a list of objectives on the screen at all times. 

Edited by Blake Harris

Posted (edited)

This game is in alpha and is lacking any bigger goal and a lot of challenge variety and long-term creative options atm.
Looking at the roadmap, you do not plan to be "feature complete" at launch. Nor do you plan to add mod support prior to release.
You basically want to release the core of the game with research (for the sake of research) and a bit of exploration (for the sake of research).
Currently, the only environmental hazards are annoying storms that make you effectively stop playing the game for 2 minutes.

I really don't want to disrespect the past progression. In fact, I'm really happy how the game is growing and maturing for the past months.
But your roadmap is kinda weird when it comes to the features planned for a 1.0.
"Minimum viable product", eh?
I'm familiar with that strategy. But I'm really curious if the content availabe at this point will justify a full price tag.
And what I don't get is, why your plans are like that for an early-access title that generates money throughout it's development.

Edited by Shabazza

8 hours ago, Troy Howe said:

Just got .8.0.0  There are NO auto blue with three white dot beacons on vehicles!  What happened to them!!!  Makes it Hard to venture very far from your vehicles (rover, space ship) with out losing track of where they where!!! Did anyone encounter this?  Hope .8.1.0 fixes this one! 

Read the patch notes.

3 hours ago, Shabazza said:

This game is in alpha and is lacking any bigger goal and a lot of challenge variety and long-term creative options atm.
Looking at the roadmap, you do not plan to be "feature complete" at launch. Nor do you plan to add mod support prior to release.
You basically want to release the core of the game with research (for the sake of research) and a bit of exploration (for the sake of research).
Currently, the only environmental hazards are annoying storms that make you effectively stop playing the game for 2 minutes.

I really don't want to disrespect the past progression. In fact, I'm really happy how the game is growing and maturing for the past months.
But your roadmap is kinda weird when it comes to the features planned for a 1.0.
"Minimum viable product", eh?
I'm familiar with that strategy. But I'm really curious if the content availabe at this point will justify a full price tag.
And what I don't get is, why your plans are like that for an early-access title that generates money throughout it's development.

I get a feeling Astroneer may end up like Minecraft: Always adding content, always making changes. Such games never really have a good place to draw the line between early access and official release.

I think for the purposes of Astroneer, the 1.0 release really marks the end of major systems development for the developers: Terrain 2.0 and private servers are really the final systems to be put into place for the near future, and I imagine their focus will shift to more content and bug fixing.

Having a 1.0 release will also help them with publishing and other parts of the game development business. For example, Sony won't allow early access games on the PlayStation, so officially releasing the game would be required if they wanted to port the game to the PlayStaytion sometime.

1 hour ago, Onetxaggie said:

still issues with saving. Comical, maybe they will fix before official rollout. How disappointing 

The fact that you're they only person who hasn't solved the problem with a complete shutdown is an interesting point. We're all on the same console playing the same game, what could be the problem?

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:53 AM, Troy Howe said:

I have no idea why these markers were removed. As far as I am concerned it is the dumbest thing that has been done in the game. So we are supposed to take up a slot with a beacon to make up for it? What sense does that make?

27 minutes ago, pbartbar said:

I have no idea why these markers were removed. As far as I am concerned it is the dumbest thing that has been done in the game. So we are supposed to take up a slot with a beacon to make up for it? What sense does that make?

I hated seeing them vehicle tags all over the place myself, but honestly not happy about a beacon slot being used.

Perhaps a vote for a built in vehicle beacon that can be turned off?

I would think many people did not like to see so many vehicle flags because they can block the other flags you placed on purpose

I just throw a beacon on the ground when I walk away from the vehicle and pick it up when I decide to move along... slightly annoying but honestly I would rather do that, at least I can see the important beacons. My train was so long if I look behind me all I see are my own train's flags lol