Bron

in praise of Large Platform D

it's all too easy to be overwhelmingly down about this  game sometimes, because we all think we know what's best for the game (when in fact we don't). but occasionally, something just quietly shuffles into your gameplay, not widely heralded, not trumpeted like a messianic event (yes, i'm looking at you, small rover), it just quietly arrives, gets it's boots on and does it's job without fear or favor. and yet, somehow it's a thing of beauty. for me, that thing is this:

701736442_platformD.thumb.jpg.6cfad46f6ad1f113f4ddfbc121460ddc.jpg

ladies and gentlemen Astroneers, i give you Large Platform D. Oh, what a wonder. it's made me want to dump all my platforms (save the operational device ones that need to be flat) and just have these beauties,  creating magnificent colonnades of resource access across my bases. So much handier than the weird Extra Large Platform (what's it for???) and the surreal Extra Large Storage ('the Hedgehog of Storage'), this sublime beauty makes racking up your power, resource, research pods and all those little bits you took from those dead Astroneer dudes a pleasure. angled for easy browsing, it's an A+ Platform for ther Astroneer of next wednesday!

I agree! So much so in fact that I have gone back to hoarding resin on Barren now that I don’t have to use floaty large rovers. And for only two aluminium each!

Haven't made one of these yet, but your pictures make me want to make a supermarket out of them. o.o

platform d full of solar panels and one full of medium batterys, i love it cuz you never run out of power, its self -sufficent, love it.

I like it too. I usually put one for starters (not at start mind you, after I’ve built the essentials lol) at periphery of my base and use some extenders to link it so it’s not in my way or in my vehicle pathing and place all the solars, turbines, and batteries I’ve thus accumulated onto it, works great! Then, as I’m preparing for my solar system adventure, it, make another to stand beside it, and use it to stack my storage pallets for my spacecraft. Usually I’ll set up one pallet each for copper, aluminum, soil, fuel, compound, and resin. I’ll pare it down or adjust the pallets as needed, but that’s my staring pile. While I work on my pile I’ve taken to doing a “scouting flight” where I visit the planets & Barren where I want to make a base, taking with me the following:

-extra fuel

-beacons

-one small fabricator

-medium platforms

-compound

-additional aluminum/terrain analyzers (optional)

-whatever else I think I’ll need (power options always include small organic gen with organic topped on generator and locked off, small solar, and small wind turbine, at least one each)

I skip the tumblespike planet I have no interest in that mess. I take beacons and mark good landing sites (I choose a place where there’s already a nice flat area nearby because smoothing on non-Terran locales is a nightmare right now and until SES makes it better I prefer not to give myself a migraine trying, no joke it’s that bad for me to try to smooth things out they really need to fix this!). I dig a shallow pit, toss a beacon, and finish my setup. I take a medium platform and pop it open. I place whatever power option is appropriate, load up compound and print a medium fabricator using my small one. I take my small fab back with me, but leave the platform and medium fab in place for whenever I return to set up a base. Works great, less to being back with me next time xD You could even bring resin and print your first large platform for ready-made oxygen. I’ve done that as well a few times. You can leave as much as you want behind, including power items if you carried more with you. I often take a soil sample with terrain analyzer to make my home base look nicer (not a lot of color variety on Terran, and I don’t really like orange and green tbh lol). Anything to cover up all that hideous grey stuff!

Sometimes it takes quite a few landings to find a nice flat spot. Some landing areas are quite ridiculous but that’s just procedural gen I suppose. Hence, extra fuel “just in case” although you get a lot of leeway with the bigger spacecraft. I’ve used the small shuttle for recon missions and repurposed the seat, but not only does it carry less fuel it holds a lot less cargo, a LOT. Too bad it costs so much, but it you skip unlocking the small one it’s not as bad. Delayed gratification I suppose.