Terrain smooth tool bug

The save I'm playing on was created two days ago on the PC version and I just recently travelled to the Barren planet. Since my arrival on the new planet, my terrain smooth tool is snapping to an invisible hexagonal grid. The reason I believe its hexagonal is because the tool will only smooth in diagonal directions before it "jumps" to the next parallel line again, only going in diagonal directions.

I've recorded this happening in the gif below

https://media.giphy.com/media/nDUWxGbtboSBZsZCyc/giphy.gif

Edited by Neospiker

Update: the original biome it started on was Tundra, not Barren. It doesn't seem to occur on the starter planet. Ill update this post with more information when I get it.

Long time issue, think it’s been this way since launch . There are many more planes, or polygons, on Terran and that’s what makes smoothing much easier (it’s much more likely you’ll find a plane to align with and smooth out along). It’s very difficult and extremely annoying to smooth an area anywhere other than Terran (if you get far away from your spawn on Terran it can also skip around little, but it’s nowhere near a bad as it is for all the other locations). For over 6 months thr overwhelming desire to avoid this issue caused me to remain on Terran. I avoided spacetravel of any kind, the terrain experience was just that bad. I’ve now resumed travel, but it’s to the point all the skipping about, combined with the amount of focus and concentration employed plus  all the attempts smoothing terrain along with the immense frustration of it, it has actually triggered my migraines :( It’s been awful. I don’t think the Devs realize just how terrible the experience on other planets is, even more so for Xbox players like myself who are using a controller not a mouse to try and fight this glitchy mess of skipping cursor and terrain that refuses to be smooth. Really hoping the Devs fix this ASAP,  it’s certainly not acceptable once the game reaches full release. Crossing my fingers that when Terrain 2.0 is finalized and released, they’ll upgrade all the planets and we’ll finally have a smooth terraforming experience everywhere. Goodness knows, they mentioned Terrain 2.0 eons ago. They’ve had plenty of time to incorporate this and “smooth” the smoothing experience (pun very much intended lol) :D 

i have this issue on radiated, did barren just fine. so unplayable im deleting the save to i can go back and redo main base for fun again since offworld base building is gone for me with this bug.

Gotta agree with you on this one. I basically quit leaving Terran altogether. Between the total 'cheat' of multi-directional winds blowing spiked balls from multiple directions at the same time on Arid, to the grid-snap effect of the terrain tool (you CAN overcome it if you place your tool reticle close to yourself, and walk the direction you want to smooth, but it's a bit of work), I'd just kinda given up on traveling the system.

The hope still springs eternal for Terrain 2.0, but I'll admit that flow is getting thinner...

I'm not sure I'm understanding the issue; the GIF looks normal to me. Are you using the Alignment mod with it, or terrain-smoothing with just the base Terrain Tool (+Canisters)?

As you may or may not already know, the base Terrain Tool smoothing option grabs the angle of a single polygon, and attempts to continue that plane in whichever direction you move your cursor (which is often diagonal). The Alignment mod (used horizontally, in this case) grabs the height of the single polygon, and attempts to shape terrain to that height, with an equal radius from the planet's center.

I just wanted to point this out, in case it can solve your issue. If not, well then, your post is already in the right place, and this "possible solution" is ruled-out.

15 hours ago, Pailzor said:

I'm not sure I'm understanding the issue; the GIF looks normal to me. Are you using the Alignment mod with it, or terrain-smoothing with just the base Terrain Tool (+Canisters)?

As you may or may not already know, the base Terrain Tool smoothing option grabs the angle of a single polygon, and attempts to continue that plane in whichever direction you move your cursor (which is often diagonal). The Alignment mod (used horizontally, in this case) grabs the height of the single polygon, and attempts to shape terrain to that height, with an equal radius from the planet's center.

I just wanted to point this out, in case it can solve your issue. If not, well then, your post is already in the right place, and this "possible solution" is ruled-out.

Not using the alignment mod. Im aware how both mods work but that's not the issue. The issue is its snapping to preset "lines" in a diagonal direction. In that gif, I was attempting to do one simple motion forward in front of me but it was following a diagonal path and skipping.

This only happens on planets which arent the starter planet.

BTW the mod you see me using was the boost mod.

Ah, okay. Just wanted to see if it helped at all.

Looking at it again after your reply, I think I see what you're talking about. Not completely sure though.

• 2 months later...

I'm surprised this is a long standing bug, it never happened to me until 0.9.0. not only does the terrain tool snap on lines for me like you describe i get hung up while moving around and need to jump a lot on non-terran planets.