daniel smith

Trucks disappear into planet

I’m using Xbox one with a controller on version 0.7.0. 

When driving along my trucks will all of a sudden just drive under the map even when I reverse it keeps going down. When I jump out it disappears completely and doesn’t matter which planet your on. 

This may or may not help you (it may help someone else I don’t know) but I’ll throw this suggestion out there just in case it does. Be warned, if you do this and lose progress, I told you so. It won’t help if you dive underground in a vehicle and you jump out (never sure why people get out, but oh well). When something weird happens (game glitches out, such as you’re driving and vehicle floats to outer space or dives to center of planet, or what have you) don’t do anything like exit. If you’re playing on Xbox try this instead (idk what to do if playing on PC).

-hit the big Xbox button that brings you to Xbox home screen; do NOT exit from Astroneer using the in game menu

-Click on Astroneer game’s icon with the controller Menu button (the three vertical dashes button) to bring up the game menu options, and select Quit from the options for Astroneer

-Next you need to restart your Xbox One. There are a few ways to get to this option, and it doesn’t matter which way you choose. The simplest is head to Xbox System>Restart Console (this step is very important, actually it’s critical, because this resets the system cache clearing out any save the game may have created of this bogus crappy scenario where things glitched out for you) and wait for your Xbox to reboot. With any luck, it’ll set you back to the point where you last saved intentionally meaning when you got into your vehicle last. You can also go fully into your Xbox Settings (the gear wheel, System) then Power & Startup>Turn off or Restart>Restart Now. This isn’t a hard reboot necessarily but it does the job. If you are having other issues with your Xbox like games aren’t working or other console issues, it’s best to perform the traditional hard reboot (turn console off holding the console face power button for ~ 10 seconds, then unplugging the console for another 10 seconds or more, then plugging it back in and rebooting). Don’t reset your console to factory settings for this sort of stuff, that’s not only overkill it’s definitely not recommended! You’d lose much more than a glitched out save point :/ Ok, back to where you’ve done the system restart...

-You’ll know the restart has completed when the Xbox display its characteristic green loading screen xD. Log back in & relaunch Astroneer. Find your save (the EXO “wheel” should come to a stop on the savefile you last used if you have more than one gamesave) and load it up. See what’s there :) No promises, but chances are you’ll find yourself back in the seat of your vehicle where you initially hopped in.

Used to be, the game didn’t “create” saves on its own, like when you died or in this case when a vehicle glitches out. I’m not very happy the Devs changed this behavior, not to mention the fact it wasn’t ever put in Patch Notes that I recall. Then again, a lot of changes are left out of the Patch Notes, it’s quite frustrating tbh. They really should take a look at Warframe (it’s also console & PC) and follow their example. It has among the best patch notes I’ve ever seen for a game. They’re well written, extremely detailed, and major kudos to the Warframe’s devs for using language the average gamer understands. SES leaves out a ton of changes to the game with each passing update, they also use way too many technical terms many gamers aren’t familiar with which decreases the value and impact of what little they cover. Their “notes” are more like “highlights” and while I agree that’s what most people want to hear about, it’s still incredibly incomplete. I mentioned to Adam a long time ago about the overly technical terms and how offputting that is to many gamers, he said they’d try to do better but sadly I’ve not seen any significant improvement. The unfortunate consequence of getting a lot more people involved (overall it’s a great thing, but when it comes to communication with the players often that’s what suffers the most). We’re not all devs/programmers after all, especially those of us who play on console. I’m a highly intelligent person, but that has nothing to do with me understanding what voxels are. I don’t need to know in order to enjoy a game or provide good feedback, and I have no interest in reading up on stuff just so I can decipher the Patch Notes each update. Making use of technical language only does one thing in the long run, it alienates players. You have to learn when dealing with a diverse community you must adjust your speaking (or writing in this case) to accommodate everyone. Anyway, enough ranting about that, sorry. Back to this need for resetting system cache. It really was convenient when just force quitting & restarting the game if something glitchy occurred was all you needed to do. Sadly, thats no longer good enough, and we have to resort to the whole restarting the Xbox and dumping the system cache along the way, rather extensive means if you ask me. I really wonder if the Devs thought this through tbh. It’s a hassle for sure. I just hope they don’t try to take this last remaining method of recourse away from us as well. I’m not sure they could, but I don’t know enough about games and programming to be certain so I guess it’s possible. I don’t think they should though, after all it’s still Alpha. We must have some method to ameliorate catastrophic glitchy outcomes (I haven’t fared too badly with vehicles but that’s because I don’t use them too often but I’ve suffered my fair share of “bogus” deaths from stupid causes lol). I hope this helps someone recover their things when the game throws you a harsh curve xD Happy Astroneering all! 

15 hours ago, shadowcrafter01 said:

i just park my rovers on the roof of my base, each time i join the world they fall through and into my base

Smart! I do think most people are having more serious issues that such measures won’t address. It seems a lot of folk encountering these issues will be off, out & about, driving a bit further away from their base(s) and then they’ll experience the “falling through terrain” bug. They lose not only their rovers, but everything on them which sometimes can be a lot (especially now that we can build mobile bases as well). That’s why I explained the force quit & Xbox restart (which empties the system cache) so people can hopefully go back to where they entered their vehicles if they can’t readily recoup their vehicles from the bug. Sometimes vehicles will fall into a cave right beneath you and it’s a rather simple affair to retrieve them, but often it’s not so straightforward. Other times it’s a total catastrophe, a complete loss. You and your vehicles end up tumbling into the “void” essentially the cuboidal near-nothingness that is the under-rendered inner workings of Terran :( In a situation like that, it’s nice to know there’s a least something you can try to get your stuff back. Your suggestion as I said is a great one; it never hurts to take some preventative measures xD

40 minutes ago, Shadow Echo said:

Smart! I do think most people are having more serious issues that such measures won’t address. It seems a lot of folk encountering these issues will be off, out & about, driving a bit further away from their base(s) and then they’ll experience the “falling through terrain” bug. They lose not only their rovers, but everything on them which sometimes can be a lot (especially now that we can build mobile bases as well). That’s why I explained the force quit & Xbox restart (which empties the system cache) so people can hopefully go back to where they entered their vehicles if they can’t readily recoup their vehicles from the bug. Sometimes vehicles will fall into a cave right beneath you and it’s a rather simple affair to retrieve them, but often it’s not so straightforward. Other times it’s a total catastrophe, a complete loss. You and your vehicles end up tumbling into the “void” essentially the cuboidal near-nothingness that is the under-rendered inner workings of Terran :( In a situation like that, it’s nice to know there’s a least something you can try to get your stuff back. Your suggestion as I said is a great one; it never hurts to take some preventative measures xD

yea, ive never had it happen to me mid-game, only when my base area loads in or something, whether it be joining the world or traveling far off and returning

i have had chunks just die on me though, but only if i am editing them, just gotta remember not to dig a chunk with my car nearby :P 

Also have to be careful if your world has some larger cracks, or seams, that you don’t end up drive into one. There seems to be more issues with terrain this update such as these seams, and some can be quite large. It gets very dark at night, so it can be difficult to see far ahead (I try to stay zoomed out a good bit to keep an eye out especially for cave entrances and large canyons). I tend to cover over my mining pits so I worry less about falling or driving into them.