Help me understand the Small Rover.

Chepelink

On 5/21/2018 at 7:55 AM, Gray Mouser said:

For me, NOTHING can replace the sheer fun of driving long distances around the planet. And being able to either just drive through, or sit in the Rover seat through a sandstorm is a HUGE advantage. 

sorry, but driving around the planet ceased to be fun after the terrain became impossible to negotiate.

also, you should try sticking a small seat on a large platform and carrying it around. the platform provides you with life support, it takes up no power, it can carry a great deal more than a medium rover, AND you can jump into the seat when the storms come and be protected. what's not to love?

.... but whilst were all talking about the buggy, it strikes me that this is a game addition searching for a reason to exist. what is the philosophy behind it? what is it's real purpose?

it's clearly not for carrying stuff. you cant run any amount of resources back to your base in it.

it's been said that it's for 'exploring'. well, fine, but exploring suggests you are looking for something. if you find a cache of resin or compound, you cant bring it back to base. if you find a wrecked vessel with a seat or even a techno-research pod (valuable!) you cant bring it back to base. you could tag it with a beacon, but you could have traveled a considerable distance from home, and the beacon might not be visible from anywhere near your base. so tying them up together becomes a logistical puzzle.

at least with tethers you are creating a 'road' of sorts, that allows you to retrace your steps and recover items in multiple journeys. the lack of a map of the world of some kind really starts to hurt here.

is the buggy fun? is it fun to run around the surface of the planet, stumbling from one clump of rock or hole in the ground to another, never getting up any real speed or feeling like you can 'evade' items with any real skill? after all, it's not a racing game. maybe, if you could clear the junk from an area and create a race track of sorts it might be fun, but the rapidly re-spawning rocks and plants make that almost impossible to realize. so, is it 'fun'? i don't know.

whilst i was writing this post i did have one idea about making the buggy useful as an explorer - if you could adapt the beacon or create a new type to allow them to function as 'drop points', you could go out and set them up where you think you might want to have new bases, or just in places where you could 'hotol' hop your shuttle and pick up stuff to take back to the main base. this would make traveling in the buggy much more positive, and give the player some other reason to fly a shuttle. you could even get rid of all the initial landing points on Terran - no ground exploration, no landing points. forcing the player to make his own landing points would also give them more a sense of decision making control in the game, which i think is overall a positive thing.

but right now, the buggy is little more than a toy - and an expensive toy too, not so much in cost of points or resources, but in the way it has spearheaded a savage revision of the power consumption of the other vehicles.

1 hour ago, Bron said:

.... but whilst were all talking about the buggy, it strikes me that this is a game addition searching for a reason to exist. what is the philosophy behind it? what is it's real purpose?

My theory is that the new mechanics that operate the scout will be incorporated into the medium and large rovers. This is just my guess, nothing more. 

4 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

My theory is that the new mechanics that operate the scout will be incorporated into the medium and large rovers. This is just my guess, nothing more.

I hope so. The small rover is cute but not really that useful early on. I hope that this is just a test phase and that they are going to re evaluate the rovers in the future.

Just want to add some feedback to this thread. 

I absolutely enjoy the small rover for all of its qualities even the fact that it can't hold a two slot item (research, medium storage). I have about 30 hours into my current save and wanted to play it differently so I decided not to do my Mineral Extractor/Trade Platform combo to get batteries. The only reason I do this is because I don't like to leave Terran because I have found that using the terraforming tool on other planets is very erratic and jumpy and currently the resources available on other planets are not needed, except lithium. 

Realizing this, I knew I had to leave Terran. so I built a Large Rocket, brought a long tons of storage, a vehicle bay, and a platform. This allowed me to reach Arid, Build a small rover, and drive great distances to get Lithium. Go out with an empty backpack and come back and load the 6 medium storage. Having the rover made this whole process soooo much easier and faster. Didn't need to bring tethers. Only brought enough compound to make the rover and the seat, a small generator and one small solar panel for the buggy and to power the platform to build the rover and I was all set. Came home with roughly 40 lithium. And I think I did it a lot faster then doing the whole Mineral Extractor/Trade platform/dig a big hole for soil. 

In the early game I found that the medium rover was a better solution for early game expanding and research. At most it can carry 3 research pods. You might have to stop and recharge with a generator but, the medium rover's power needs are much more manageable than the large rover and if you maintain the front or rear slots for power producing items, power isn't even an issue. I do wish the turn on/off of things would work if whatever you have attached is on a medium storage. Additionally, its size is still easy to manage in caves. 

The only thing I would change on the rover is add two more single slots in the front so I can put work lights on it as headlights. 

@Chepelink it's been said that it's for 'exploring'. well, fine, but exploring suggests you are looking for something. if you find a cache of resin or compound, you cant bring it back to base. if you find a wrecked vessel with a seat or even a techno-research pod (valuable!) you cant bring it back to base. you could tag it with a beacon, but you could have traveled a considerable distance from home, and the beacon might not be visible from anywhere near your base. so tying them up together becomes a logistical puzzle.

for if you find research objects and fragments for vehicles you can balance it on the driver seat and drive slow to your base (at least that what i do)

@jbarth09: Interesting...so for you, the Small Rover is more a mid-game vehicle for rapid harvest of off Terran resources? Nice.

The one thing about this game that always interests me is the extremely different ways that people play it. For me, the Small Rover is a great early game vehicle because with my ability to carry 13 units of materials on my pack and Terrain Tool, it lets me rapidly run out to beyond where I have already harvested the closest resources, load up my pack, and run back to continue building the basic infrastructure of my initial base on Terran. Once I get Large Rovers, I use the Small Rover less because the big haul capacity of the Large keeps me from having to make frequent trips...

I can see how (with the current issues reported for off-Terran Rover use) just using the whole Small Rover/Pack retrieval system could be wildly effective. Thanks for the suggestion!

12 hours ago, Gray Mouser said:

@jbarth09: Interesting...so for you, the Small Rover is more a mid-game vehicle for rapid harvest of off Terran resources? Nice.

The one thing about this game that always interests me is the extremely different ways that people play it. For me, the Small Rover is a great early game vehicle because with my ability to carry 13 units of materials on my pack and Terrain Tool, it lets me rapidly run out to beyond where I have already harvested the closest resources, load up my pack, and run back to continue building the basic infrastructure of my initial base on Terran. Once I get Large Rovers, I use the Small Rover less because the big haul capacity of the Large keeps me from having to make frequent trips...

I can see how (with the current issues reported for off-Terran Rover use) just using the whole Small Rover/Pack retrieval system could be wildly effective. Thanks for the suggestion!

It seemed to be effective in gathering off Terran Resources. And after leaving the rover, I didn't feel bad at all about leaving something because its relatively cheap to make. And I can use it again if I ever have to return to Arid for more Lithium. 

Even in the Early/Mid game I tend to build one but, in the early game my focus is alwasy reasearch, research, research. I have never had an issue with not having enough resin and compound near the starting area that I couldn't get enough resin for platforms and compound for the research stations, canisters, and tethers. Also, I try to find the nearest cave entrance so I can start looking for research pods. If you are lucky enough to start in an area with all those tall tree looking vegetation things, you can always find research in them at the very top of them, which makes me put off the small rover until mid/late game because it can't carry anything back.  

• 4 weeks later...

I always stick a small generator to my rovers, as it's the only abundant source of energy that also works reliably at night.
I would never use a battery though.
A small solar, yeah. Maybe a small wind vane. But usually, I go with small generator and maybe solar.
For the small rover, I exculsively use a small gen.