Help me understand the Small Rover.

Is it a early game thing? Is it a late game one? What it is? 

At the begging I thought that it was a early game, easy access rover (an early entry if you wish). It have the advantages of:

1. It is cheap to research and to build. Perfect for the beginning.
  2. Require little power, thus seems practical for early game where you don't have enough resources to make energy generators (solar, wind, etc) en mass. Ideal for the early first hour.
  3. It is light and kind of fast. Great for early exploration.

But, once I tired I found it kind of useless for the early game:

1. It cannot carry research pods, not even one. The first hour or so is where you need the most those research points. Using them in something that does not give you a lot of benefices for your bucks seems against early game thingy. And with a lot I mean to carry at least one research pod and at most one research pod. Even if that slot can only be used to carry research pods.
  2. It needs the vehicle bay to be build. That thing needs to be researched and built, using resources and research points. Same for the medium (see next point) and large rover. 
  3. The medium rover needs 2000 more points (3000 in total) and 2 stacks of aluminium. In the first 30-40 minutes I already had +5000 points and enough aluminium for the medium rover without even trying. (Maybe it was luck, but I remember that it was that "easy" before). Thus, the investment in the medium rover does not seems to be a big deal. I'd say that it is better to focus on the medium rover at the start. It can carry research pods and is fast enough for early exploration. The energy consumption is easy manageable with the same energy generators as the small rover or with the small generators and "organics if needed.
  4. Did I say that it can carry research pods without any extra investment?

When I thought about the medium-late game I found the small rover to shine brighter than the early game.

1. It is cheap to research and to build.
  2. Cost very little energy to use
  3. You probably already have a vehicle bay for better rovers. Thus you have the research done.
  4. You have tons of resources and probably research points to spend in one.
  5. Because of 1 to 4 it is perfect for exploration in planets with little resources or for the fun of exploring without caring for research pods.
  6. Because of 1, it is perfect in a new planet. Specially if you only want to explore it.
  7. There is almost no cons at all for the late game.

Thus, I'm confused on the intention of the small rover. Am I missing some kind of strategy with it for the early game? Do you think that adding the capability of carrying one, and only one, research pod is OP or game breaking?

I find that the Buggy is so cheap that they function really well as oxygen stations I can just leave where ever I want.... I run tethers out to a good research area and leave the Buggy behind as I juggle 8-15 Research Pods back to the surface..... while waiting for the Pods to make Bits I make another Buggy  and continue collecting.

To me the scout could serve a few purposes.

For the company maybe it was a great way to test/re-work/optimize travel for all rovers? Maybe the technology learned through the scout can be transferred to the medium and large rovers?

In MP it could be rather fun. Although I can see it has limits

I think in SP it is very limited. While cute and somewhat fun it's limits are abundantly clear after only a few minutes of play. Now if I were 6 or 8 years old then I would be on top of the world over the scout however as an adult, it has many limits, right now. Could a transport be made available so that we could carry it in a research train, unload it, scout the area, and return to the trailer for later use? Can modders have a field day with it?
Now it is good, in the future it can be so much better. 

I used mine for a few minutes when I first built it, and I have not touched it again other than to park it out of the way whenever I need to.

I can see how it can be used to go out and do a quick search for compound or resin, but other than that and joyriding, I have no use for it. if I need to gather resources, I'll take a bigger rover. If I need to go out and scout, I might as well use a vehicle from the start that can let me haul back anything I find...

8 hours ago, KeeblerOrc said:

I find that the Buggy is so cheap that they function really well as oxygen stations I can just leave where ever I want.... I run tethers out to a good research area and leave the Buggy behind as I juggle 8-15 Research Pods back to the surface..... while waiting for the Pods to make Bits I make another Buggy  and continue collecting.

I thought about that, and also as cave exploration tank. I found myself loving and hating the buggy. It is cute, it is cheap and it is light on fuel, but the fact that it cannot carry a single pod bugs me to no end.

I wonder why they didn't make the buggy able to carry (a) research pods. I mean, I don't really like the idea of having a small rover train. It brakes the momentum: mediums and larges rovers for carry tons of stuffs, small for quick and light exploration.

But one big part of early exploration is to find research pods. Nonetheless, there is no use to find research pods quickly if you cannot carry what you find and return to your base quickly.

Now that I think about pods, maybe the problem is that there isn't small research pods.

3 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Could a transport be made available so that we could carry it in a research train, unload it, scout the area, and return to the trailer for later use?

Like a bick rack or a two wheels roman cart attached to the small rover? Yes, I like the idea. Although I think I'd prefer more the innate ability to do it and zero add ons or trailers. 

Edited by Chepelink

Hmm... Even after I had a Large Rover with double Large Storage (if they won't let a Single Open sit straight on the top, why not just put it on the front), I still find myself heading out for boosts of Resin and Compound, as well as quick running from wreckage to wreckage to find and grab titanium (for collection) and Lithium (for batteries). Also, if you get lost, what better vehicle to be in? They can climb the highest peaks, you don't take fall damage on the way down, and you don't have to Terrain mod the mountain at all to climb it...

I LOVE my Small Rover. If I decide I really want Research blocks, I'll go out in my Small Rover, find likely caves, use the Rover as a tether anchor, explore the cave finding all the blocks I can find, bring them up toward the surface (like in a secure side chamber, even if I have to make that chamber), then return to the Rover, set a beacon at the mouth of the cave, and head to the next cave. Once I have enough blocks collected at beacon locations, I race back to camp, load my Large Rover with Organic for the Generator, and start heading to my first beacon... It works great, and I get to explore from place to place nice and fast.

I really think this is a prime example of lack of attention to detail by the Dev. (Sorry dev put your suit of iron on here it's going to get rough). I haven't been playing long, but i'm starting to see the inconsistency and lack of attention to detail/planning rearing it's ugly head. Now, this could be due to this was supposed to be just a fun little side game to develop that has now gotten much bigger than imagined. I don't know, I haven't read much of any of the news and not a single blog. The marbles are just another examples of this.

OK Back to the rovers: I do know that the rovers where just "completely re hauled" and i'm left scratching my head as to why even bother? You can't driver over rocks so they are a HUGE hindrance on the surface, you can't driver over fauna or the stone pillars in caves so they are a hindrance in the caves, the small one can't carry anything, the large one can't turn, none have the ability to go very far (or fast) because they need a couple of the medium batteries and a few power sources (extremely expensive)....So I'm left scratching my head as to 1st why your just scratching your head over the small one and not the whole rover situation and Secondly as to why there are rovers in game at all when it's faster and easier to make a large platform D and just carry that around with lots of tethers?

Seriously, the Large Platform D + lots of tethers > any rover   ?  There is something seriously wrong when this is the case... and I'm left wondering why.

Granted I still love the game but....

7 hours ago, Listatta M said:

I really think this is a prime example of lack of attention to detail by the Dev. - The marbles are just another examples of this.

OK Back to the rovers: I do know that the rovers where just "completely re hauled" and i'm left scratching my head as to why even bother? You can't driver over rocks so they are a HUGE hindrance on the surface, you can't driver over fauna or the stone pillars in caves so they are a hindrance in the caves, the small one can't carry anything, the large one can't turn, none have the ability to go very far (or fast) because they need a couple of the medium batteries and a few power sources (extremely expensive)....So I'm left scratching my head as to 1st why your just scratching your head over the small one and not the whole rover situation and Secondly as to why there are rovers in game at all when it's faster and easier to make a large platform D and just carry that around with lots of tethers?

Seriously, the Large Platform D + lots of tethers > any rover   ?  There is something seriously wrong when this is the case... and I'm left wondering why.

And this just shows how great Astroneer really is. For you, a large platform and tons of tethers is better than having ANY Rovers. For me, NOTHING can replace the sheer fun of driving long distances around the planet. And being able to either just drive through, or sit in the Rover seat through a sandstorm is a HUGE advantage.

The rovers CAN drive over even the larger (obviously not the pillar type) rocks unless they are standing straight up, in which case (just like off-road driving) you just maneuver around the rock. There are only certain VERY distinct fauna the rovers won't drive over, and the only 'stone pillars' that obstruct the rover in caves are the thick ones, the rest just let the rover pass through them. True, the small can't carry anything but your Astroneer and two single port items, but if one is a small battery and the other a solar panel, you never need to stop from lack of power. This makes them great for long-distance exploration. And considering they can (currently) climb to places you'd have to dig out a path and lay tethers to climb to, and they move FAR faster than you can run, as well as providing unlimited O2, they are very useful. The Large Rover can most definitely turn, it's just a little slow about it. And you don't need ANY medium batteries to run them. I run a large with two large storage and a bunch of medium storage panels, the open 1-seat stuck on the front, and the Medium storage plate next to the seat having a small generator and kept full(ish) of organics and I can drive till I run out of plants...then just harvest more. This lets me carry at LEAST 2 research blocks and up to 64 resource pods, plus whatever I'm carrying in my pack.

The difference between us is you look for ways to avoid doing something, I look for ways to use my available tools in the best way I can. I will always see more of my planet (and if you didn't come to explore, why DID you come?) than you, and will have more interesting (and often a little exciting) adventures than I could by packing a platform and a bunch of tethers. I LIKE being out there risking getting lost. Seeing what vistas are over the next bit of horizon. Climbing a mountain to realize that I can't see ANY of my beacons, so I know I'm well and truly lost. Having to decide if it's more worth it to me to keep the Compound to make more tethers (or beacons), or drop it to keep the Titanium I just found. It's part of the spice (and fun) of the game for me.

Have fun dragging your platform around, if that's what makes you feel like you're getting it all done. I couldn't imagine how dreary not being able to go zooming across the landscape, dodging caves, cliffs and pillars of stone would be. And if you've never outrun a duststorm, or plowed straight through one, you don't know the triumph of 'outwitting' those damn things! Give me Rovers, or give me DEATH! (^o^)/

I'd love to have multiplayer (or dedicated servers) become solid enough that we could play a round of multiplayer. You dragging your platform, me driving rovers. I think you'd be surprised at how much faster I would get things done, and how many fun stories I'd have to relate afterward.

So I'LL pass a message to the devs as well: Thank you VERY much for the fun that is the whole family of Rovers! I still love them, even with the power nerf they got with the current update! They control SO much better, and if they continue to NOT fall through the surface of the planet, I'll be even happier! Granted, it'd be nice to have a 1-seat that would face FORWARD on the Large Rover, but I'm sure something will help there eventually... =P

Oh, and the marbles are just a fun leftover from the original development proof of concept. They demonstrated movement, land deformity, lighting, perspective, etc, etc... They just never took them out, cause they're fun.

Edited by Gray Mouser

I kind of agree with @Listatta M. Medium and large rovers are useful, but they get stuck a lot on Terran. And the whole energy consumption change is a step back in my opinion. The large rover, for example, consumes half its energy at less than 100 meters from the base, and if you get stuck on a rock on Terran, forget about it. You have to get off the rover, dig under it, and then watch the rock catapult your rover up in the air.

The large rover on Barren, though, is a beast! Pop two large storage units on top, a medium battery and a solar panel, and you're good to drive around the moon. And surprisingly enough, the large rover doesn't get stuck on Barren as frequently (or hardly ever, I would say). The small rover, on the other hand, was more of a hindrance. I found myself going into craters because the thing just can't brake.

Hoping Terrain 2.0 (whenever it comes) will improve the way we use rovers...

On 5/18/2018 at 9:39 PM, Gray Mouser said:

Hmm... Even after I had a Large Rover with double Large Storage...

I LOVE my Small Rover. If I decide I really want Research blocks, I'll go out in my Small Rover.... Once I have enough blocks collected at beacon locations, I race back to camp, load my Large Rover with Organic for the Generator.

Do you see that you only use the small rover for exploration after you have the other rovers or you just want to go out to see what is there? That was exactly my point on what it is the actual intention for the small rover. As it is right now it is a pure scout that does not help you with the initial transportation phase of the early game. That is my issue with the small rover. It does not follow a traditional path of your first rover -> medium rover -> large rover. For the first hour or less, it is better to focus on the medium rover since the research price and materials are not pricey and rare enough. 

I think that your first rover should help you transporting research pods or similar things, but just one and only one. This would help you greatly at the start of the game and make sense as progression. What I would expect from the vehicle tree is something like this: First your small rover is the scout-carry help that you desperately need at the beginning. The medium rover is your truck, a cheap truck that allows you to really gather resources en masses. After the medium rover you get the bike, a fast, very fast with beastly traction and maneuverability, two-wheeled rover. It is made with titanium and aluminium to be light and fast, it may be fueled only with Hydrazine to feed a powerful engine. This bike would be your prime, pure and true, scout and it maybe fold-able for easy transportation. The large rover is your train, expensive and heavy. It is for when you have a big set-up, maybe for multi-player, and it is a monster for carrying things or maybe to get a crazy and cool mobile base. (I said bike, but obviously can be any other vehicle, if bikes breaks the immersion)

Don't get me wrong. I love that cute little thing. The feeling of travel with it is amazing. But it needs a makeover. Games, particularly at the beginning, should be intuitive enough for the player (particularly novice once) to do what they need to do. And the small rover is not intuitive at all. It is clearly designed for the beginning of the game, but it overlooks one of the most important part of the early game: gathering resources, particularly research pods. 

And with intuitive I mean: a novice might use the small rover with expanded carry capacity to go back-and-forth with a single research pod. After, he would want a better transport, something that really helps him to gather resources. Thus he would want to research the medium rover with the points he got from using the small rover. 

Maybe in the vehicle 2.0 phase we get a better distinction on the rovers with a more intuitive approach and design. 

I am at a lose as to what the Dev's are doing as well as thinking.... Nerfing the Batteries of the Rover and Truck is in the nicest terms I can use Retarded,  they are not so terrible on Terrain or its moon but on windy planets like Arid and Exotic it's more like Suicide.  Add to that the Horrible understeering and under torque of all vehicles as well as feather like weight in the wind is asinine.  I really do like the Buggy as a vehicle … but try driving one on Arid where it gets blown around like a leaf.  And Add to that Add that something as simple as a Hard Break that locks the vehicle in Park still being impossible in the 26th century...????? 

Do I love the Game.... Yes... I just reached 1800 Hours... not a bad investment for $20   But I also bought this game for one of my best friends and 4 kids in the family/friend group who have all given up on Astroneer.       My friend who recently told me how frustrated she is at the lack of solving problems and repeating them every patch is pretty hard for me to defend.  I just keep telling everybody to hang in there as time often solves these problems.  Something I believe would solve many of these problems is the Dev's actually playing the game.... in one stream Joe even stated how few hours of play he has in game and that half of that is from being away from the computer..... Which explains A lot! 

@Chepelink and the rest of the Guy's in Forum.... Just hang in there and be patient. 

The large and medium rover DO NOT drive over most rocks, and if they do, they do it slower than the walk/run pace. By the time you are done fitting batteries, solar, wind, and seat on the med rover there is no room for storage, and the large rover is not much better.

When I go explore I don't just want to drive by everything, I want to collect resources and research. I'm not a tourist, I'm an Astroneer "fighting" for survival, I need tools that will help me NOT stop me every time I turn around, and beacons are almost useless since they are hidden by clouds, and there is an EXTREME limited sight distance.

If the main thing you get from a rover is a safe place to weather the storm, it's worthless as just a quick hole in the ground does that for you. I also hope the devs change that with the open seat. I don't think the open seat should protect you from the storms, personal opinion, but I know most people like that feature.

@Gray Mouser and the last time I checked me pointing out the lack of focus and planning on the dev's part does NOT equal me not exploring or finding reason NOT to explore, you trying to make assumptions out of nothing and use it to trash my play style and taking it to a personal level is just RUDE and CHILDISH! This is Alpha, we all expect the game to be rough, and the whole reason developers are supposed to be doing alphas and pre-alphas and betas is to get consumer feed back, pointing out that they seem to have lack of focus and a master plan IS FEEDBACK!

Well thank goodness you aren't sensitive... (put on your suit of iron on here it's going to get rough ) Oh, and welcome to the internet. Where people read then things you post, and when those things imply that the devs who are making a game you play more than any other game are drooling idiots that have no concept of how to design a game, they post their own words to not only defend the decisions the devs are making, but often compare their own experiences to yours, and those opinions often are NOT going to be what you consider 'nice'.

If you are just going to openly state that the dev team are idiots for even bothering with Rovers because you'd rather trudge around in a game hauling a large platform, and that YOUR way of playing is the only logical one, (Seriously, the Large Platform D + lots of tethers > any rover) you ARE going to inspire the more outspoken members of this forum to comment. That's the way it is.

My post was very specific. You claim that hauling around a platform with a bunch of tethers is far better than can be done with ANY rover. You are the ONLY person I have EVER seen post something so...bewildering. What game are you playing? Batteries, solar, wind and a seat? Sigh. Try battery, solar. Or Battery, generator. You ARE aware that you can put that stuff on the front and back of the Medium Rover, right? There is no reason you can't have ample power, and space to haul one Research block on a Medium Rover, and a Large Rover? I can go plenty long distance (sorry, but MUCH faster than you can carry your platform), haul up to 10 Research blocks without problem, or up to 10 Medium Storage units worth of found/harvested resources...for those who aren't counting, that's up to EIGHTY units of resources, and that's without counting the 13 I can carry on my backpack. This is what that looks like:

1051161676_LargeRoverLoadout.thumb.jpg.b98c61380e0190214ec4a2b67e3b0685.jpg

So let's see... A thruster, 3 Research blocks, 16 Resin, 12 Compound (4 free on the Thruster), some 6-8 Malachite, 8 Laterite, 8 Ammonium (on the rear corner you can't see at this angle), NO solar, NO battery, NO wind turbine of ANY size. And at the time of this pic, my pack was almost completely empty. I drove out in a random direction, passed a couple of my own beacons (making it easy to get back to my base, just drive back past those same beacons as you find them), only had to maneuver around caves, trenches (crossing caves), and pillar rocks. Otherwise driving intentionally over everything else. I was never stopped (slowed, yes. But only while actually going OVER the rock, then I sped right back up). And how did I do all this with the now completely power crippled Large Rover that can't even drive 100yards from your base? The Medium Storage on the front is my power supply. One small generator, a couple stops to replenish the organic fuel, turn it off when you aren't driving, throw Power nuggets on when you come up to empty your pack out (you get those all the time). It's MORE than enough power. Was hit by a storm on the way back...did NOT just SIT in my Rover, I DROVE STRAIGHT THROUGH IT! I got to keep moving WHILE the storm was throwing rocks at me. Do THAT while toting your amazing platform! And the whole trip and everything I got for it (including finding a really complex cave) took less than 30min in game. THAT is the benefit of Rovers.

So you can feel free to be as childish as YOU like, but if you come on the forums and say the DEVS have a lack of focus or planning because YOU lack the ability to comprehend how to use the tools they have provided in the game... Then yes, I WILL mock you and 'trash' your play style. YOUR playstyle has NOTHING to do with the devs, and their planning OR focus. It's how YOU CHOOSE to play the Alpha version game they are making. It's NOT feedback, it's insulting, derogatory, and completely self-centered and self-serving. OPEN your eyes, instead of implying the devs should remove anything that YOU can't see a use for. If YOU don't understand why something is included in the game, that has NOTHING to do with the devs either! THAT has to do with YOUR shortcomings! YOU are the one that does not understand. YOU are the one that sees no value. YOU are the one with the problem, NOT the devs. THEY have a vision of what the game is supposed to be, THEY have a focus on not only making it work, but making it PLAYABLE the WHOLE time they are working on it! THEY have a plan to see the game to it's completion. If YOU don't like the way they are making the game, STOP PLAYING IT.

If you have an actual ISSUE of something in the game that is NOT WORKING the way it should, reporting THAT would be feedback. If you have an opinion about something they changed, and you feel it has made the game worse than before, feel free to express that OPINION, as THAT would be feedback! Saying YOU see a lack of focus or planning in the devs is just ignorant and insulting. YOUR vision is dubious at best, as you don't seem to see the benefit of Rovers, when even NASA took them to the moon TO HELP THE ASTRONAUTS DO THEIR JOBS AND TO SURVIVE! And they continue to use automated ROVERS to explore Mars! But hey, guys... Listatta M says there's no use for Rovers, so... we need to quit sending them out. They're useless. We obviously have some sort of lack of focus or planning for ever thinking rovers could actually be useful... Pack 'em up, guys! Sell them on eBay or something!

(Oh, and in case you didn't notice... if you decide to attack me directly in a post, I WILL flame you for any expressed ignorance. The DEVS are supposed to put on their 'iron suits' because you are gonna throw monkey crap at them, but YOU don't have to face any criticism? Wow. Really, welcome to the interwebs. You're gonna have a rough time.)

5 hours ago, Gray Mouser said:

snip

Battery-solar is my preferred way of powering a large rover. Personally, I am not fond of using the small generator on the large rover as it is not time-efficient for me. I don't like the prospect of having to get out and gather organic every 45 seconds to refuel. It's fantastic on the little rover, though.

I, however, agree with this statement from @Listatta M:

15 hours ago, Listatta M said:

The large and medium rover DO NOT drive over most rocks, and if they do, they do it slower than the walk/run pace.

And this one:

15 hours ago, Listatta M said:

When I go explore I don't just want to drive by everything, I want to collect resources and research. I'm not a tourist, I'm an Astroneer "fighting" for survival, I need tools that will help me NOT stop me every time I turn around, and beacons are almost useless since they are hidden by clouds, and there is an EXTREME limited sight distance.

Maybe his statements about rovers were a bit extreme, but I agree with the general sentiment. The rover update was a partial step in the right direction in my opinion (don't agree with the energy consumption nerf), but they still need some TLC. Maybe Terrain 2.0 will improve how rovers interact with rocks and other terrain/planetary features. We'll just have to wait and see.

I'm not trying to argue or criticize anyone, by the way (peace!), just expressing my points of view from my limited 100-some hours of game time.

Could a transport be made available so that we could carry it in a research train, unload it, scout the area, and return to the trailer for later use?

Small rovers can actually be hauled by a large rover using a winch (Haven't tried with medium rovers). It works well even at the back of a 4-rover train. You just have to reattach the small rover to the winch when you launch a saved game

18 hours ago, Listatta M said:

The large and medium rover DO NOT drive over most rocks, and if they do, they do it slower than the walk/run pace. By the time you are done fitting batteries, solar, wind, and seat on the med rover there is no room for storage, and the large rover is not much better.

If the main thing you get from a rover is a safe place to weather the storm, it's worthless as just a quick hole in the ground does that for you. I also hope the devs change that with the open seat. I don't think the open seat should protect you from the storms, personal opinion, but I know most people like that feature.

@Gray Mouser and the last time I checked me pointing out the lack of focus and planning on the dev's part does NOT equal me not exploring or finding reason NOT to explore, you trying to make assumptions out of nothing and use it to trash my play style and taking it to a personal level is just RUDE and CHILDISH! This is Alpha, we all expect the game to be rough, and the whole reason developers are supposed to be doing alphas and pre-alphas and betas is to get consumer feed back, pointing out that they seem to have lack of focus and a master plan IS FEEDBACK!

I agree 100% @Listatta M is spot on!

The is a Forum.... It's intention is to comment not bully....

Go play the rovers on Arid and Exotic..... I had to build them deep underground and they still got blown against the walls.... drive them outside and just have to abandon them as they blow away

17 hours ago, KeeblerOrc said:

The is a Forum.... It's intention is to comment not bully....

Go play the rovers on Arid and Exotic..... I had to build them deep underground and they still got blown against the walls.... drive them outside and just have to abandon them as they blow away

Please don't misunderstand... I have NO problems with someone expressing frustration about the changes made in the last update. And I agree that the dev team doesn't spend enough time actually playing the game in-house and experiencing the problems that people are having in the current build.

I have no issues with people disliking when something gets nerfed (hell, I begged and pleaded not to have the 'collect soil' thing added to the game). And I can see where people get frustrated when things change. After all, completely taking something away that you used to be able to play with SUCKS. So I'd be surprised if people WEREN'T griping when there are major changes...

But you really agree that the Rovers should be completely removed from the game because they are totally worthless and counter-productive? I understand that you, having gone off-Terran have experienced EXTREMELY bad issues with Rover reactions to wind and gravity... (I can't believe we're having underground storm winds AGAIN!) But do you really think they should be removed completely? Because if you 'agree 100% Listatta is spot on', THAT'S what you are agreeing with. THAT was why I reacted the way I did the FIRST time. The second was because of the nasty comment addressed specifically to me.

The forums ARE for commenting. And for expressing dissatisfaction with progress made in the game development. And to express ideas and opinions about that process. But just as it is NOT intended to be used to bully others for expressing themselves, it's also NOT a place where someone that openly admits has 'only been playing for a little while ' and has 'haven't read much of any of the news and not a single blog ' to come on and talk trash about the dev team about a part of the game that has been in for just about the entire time the game has been in progress. You wanna say how annoying the rovers are off Terran? Fine. You wanna say you hate the power nerf of the rovers? Fine. You wanna say you think the Small Rover is the most stupid addition to the game so far? I may scoff at you, but feel free. You wanna come on here and attempt to spew your ignorance in the form of insulting the dev team and talking like YOUR way of seeing things is the only opinion that's worthwhile?

Just like I'd light someone up if they came on here, recognized your tag or the way you post and started attacking you because they had a grudge from another forum. NO ONE deserves to be insulted and belittled, ESPECIALLY from a position of ignorance and arrogance, and that goes DOUBLE for the dev team, because even if I don't agree with all their decisions (and I don't), they are STILL the only ones making Astroneer, and it's STILL the game I play more than ANY other game I have.

I will NEVER say that posts here have to kiss the butts of the team, or that people have to shower them with love with every post, but by the GODS - you WILL show them the same respect and consideration that YOU expect to receive, because they are doing something that you have NEVER done, and most likely never will. I don't understand why I keep having to say this: If you don't like the direction the team is taking the game, you are NOT required to play it. So don't. Don't you DARE come on here, insult the team with ignorance, and try to demand that they make the game the way YOU want it. Play the game you currently have in any way you want. Why should I care? But don't try to ruin MY way of playing the same game. If it's gonna be ruined, the dev team will do that all on their own, and don't need outside help. Sigh. </rant>

Sorry, but that's just how I am, and how I will be. I am SO glad the dev team has continued to make this game, when there was a time they almost didn't, and I have known enough programmers that I know how hard getting elements programmed by different people to work smoothly, and the more complex the system, the harder it is...and Astroneer is INSANE complicated for something they made look so charming and 'simple'.

Edited by Wyvyrias
Removed potentially offensive phrases

@Gray Mouser...…………. Really Dude?

Gray states in the above post:

"If you don't like the direction the team is taking the game, you are NOT required to play it. So don't. Don't you DARE come on here, insult the team with ignorance, and try to demand that they make the game the way YOU want it, or you WILL get the sharp end of the stick. Play the game you currently have in any way you want. Why should I care? But don't try to ruin MY way of playing the same game. If it's gonna be ruined, the dev team will do that all on their own, and don't need outside help. Sigh. </rant>"

You really Think I care what you think after a STUPID Comment like that.... 

Really "Sharp End Of a Stick"..... Threatening somebody on a Forum?... Because that's the way you are?  You know this is the very reason my friends wont let their kids participate on this forum. I think you need to asses your statement and apologize accordingly.   I would understand a 14 year old acting like such but not an adult.

8 hours ago, Gray Mouser said:

I got a scope crosshair with your forehead LOCKED to it, and I WILL pull that trigger. EVERY time.

Don't you DARE come on here, insult the team with ignorance, and try to demand that they make the game the way YOU want it, or you WILL get the sharp end of the stick.

Sorry, dude. These are not not nice things to write on a forum where kids also participate.

You can disagree all you want, and that is perfectly acceptable. That's what these forums are for: to express agreement or disagreement so the devs know what we, the community, like and dislike about the game. But words like those, especially in this day and age, are not and should not be ok.

9 hours ago, Gray Mouser said:

The forums ARE for commenting. And for expressing dissatisfaction with progress made in the game development. And to express ideas and opinions about that process. But just as it is NOT intended to be used to bully others for expressing themselves

Exactly. Heed those words yourself, please...

We are all passionate about this game, but at the end of the day, this is only that, just a game. Let's not let anger get the better of us...

Keep calm and continue talking about rovers, or the topic.

9 hours ago, Gray Mouser said:

You wanna say you think the Small Rover is the most stupid addition to the game so far? I may scoff at you, but feel free.

I wont say it is the most stupid addition, but I would say that it is not well thought. I know that right now we are in the testing phase, thus it is the best moment to say it. The small rover should be renamed and improved (and make the medium rover your entry rover for carrying stuff and early, slower, exploration) or add more carry capacity to it.  I really don't mind which one is, as long as it is one of them (maybe I want the first one):

- Make it a true scout rover, rename it "Xplorer" or something cute (I'm terrible with names ?) and increase its research price to 2000 points and material to two compounds and two aluminium. Crank up a bit the horse power, make it a bit faster and a bit taller. You can later add fun research options like retractable spiked wheels for easier mountain climbing, jet-packs to jump across ravines and the ability to be compressed to a small box/crate to easy transport. (And reduce the research cost of the medium rover to 2000 points, so that it is clear that both are very different in terms of functionality but at the same tier level).

- On the other hand, you can add the capability of carrying one medium size thing, like research pods or medium storage, in its back. This would help to reinforce the idea that the small rover is an all around, easy to access, early game, rover, but that it's more on the side of exploration than carrying because of speed and fuel consumption.

Obviously this is my opinion on the subject. 

On 5/18/2018 at 3:55 PM, Chepelink said:

I thought about that, and also as cave exploration tank. I found myself loving and hating the buggy. It is cute, it is cheap and it is light on fuel, but the fact that it cannot carry a single pod bugs me to no end.

I wonder why they didn't make the buggy able to carry (a) research pods. I mean, I don't really like the idea of having a small rover train. It brakes the momentum: mediums and larges rovers for carry tons of stuffs, small for quick and light exploration.

But one big part of early exploration is to find research pods. Nonetheless, there is no use to find research pods quickly if you cannot carry what you find and return to your base quickly.

Now that I think about pods, maybe the problem is that there isn't small research pods.

Like a bick rack or a two wheels roman cart attached to the small rover? Yes, I like the idea. Although I think I'd prefer more the innate ability to do it and zero add ons or trailers. 

How about also having these connectors on the front and at the back of the small rover, but you would only be able to connect one side to another vehicle. That means you could have it at the very front of a research train or at the very back, it depends on how you like it.

Edited by NolimitsHD

Just wanted to jump in on this thread. 

This forum was created to allow people to say anything they want about Astroneer. We get positive feedback! We get ideas! We get bug reports! We get negative feedback! 

All of this is EXTREMELY valuable to the team, and I lurk around here all the time and relay certain threads/posts (good and bad) to the rest of the team. I love when people post well thought out criticisms and offer suggestions that run parallel and perpendicular to what we do. (except for when people post asking about guns, I don't love that) Please, keep the criticism coming, we never want people to be afraid to give negative feedback. 

What we will not tolerate though is bullying behaviour. This forum is for all ages, so keep it civil and respect your fellow forum members. We can have critical conversations without being mean.