The Touch of Grey Gamer

In search of new challenges

Posted (edited)

I'm stuck on trying to think of a new challenge to play. However I'm out of ideas. I'm thinking of using just yellow power to accomplish my goals. No solar, no wind, just power. But I'm eh, on that idea. So I'm looking for some advice for a new challenge. What rules do I want to play by this time? I'm drawing a blank. HELP!

Edited by Wyvyrias
Adjusted title

Do what I do. Play something else to avoid burning out. Wait a couple of updates and come back.

If you need a recommendation, Warframe is absolutely awesome, and free to play...

34 minutes ago, vvhorus said:

Play something else

Bite your tongue! Play something other than Astroneer? Oh, I think not fine sir! It is SES or nothing. 👨‍🚀

I still need a new challenge. I'm out of ideas. 

On 5/15/2018 at 6:29 PM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Bite your tongue! Play something other than Astroneer? Oh, I think not fine sir! It is SES or nothing. 👨‍🚀

I still need a new challenge. I'm out of ideas. 

😂

You can always try building a ramp from your base to Barren. Or better yet, an actual Stairway to Heaven (!) but with real steps, not a ramp...

Have you tried flattening a mountain from the top down? Or building a cloud base above storms' paths?

This just occurred to me: why don't you start a new game and build a full base (including unlocking everything) but without ever crafting any rovers!

1 hour ago, vvhorus said:

This just occurred to me: why don't you start a new game and build a full base (including unlocking everything) but without ever crafting any rovers!

I've done that 😃

I think I may just be out of idears. I need a challenge! 

Have you tried launching yourself into space without a shuttle?

Hmm... I get what you're saying, and yeah, it can get pretty tough to come up with ideas...

My only right off the cuff idea would be pretty tedious, so you probably won't be interested, but it would be cool to see if the orbital view would change to reflect it... completely smooth out the surface of a planet (or Barren if a full planet is too big). Start from your base level, and using the flatten tool (I think that's the one that follows the gravity well of the planet), make EVERYTHING smooth...

Nah. That would take forever, and you're looking for a challenge that's fun, not some grind that's too close to work. Damn.

Build a base at every landing point around Terran? Not just a Habitat, but a full base...? Yeah, it's really tough to come up with ideas... Well, good luck!

20 minutes ago, Gray Mouser said:

Hmm... I get what you're saying, and yeah, it can get pretty tough to come up with ideas...

My only right off the cuff idea would be pretty tedious, so you probably won't be interested, but it would be cool to see if the orbital view would change to reflect it... completely smooth out the surface of a planet (or Barren if a full planet is too big). Start from your base level, and using the flatten tool (I think that's the one that follows the gravity well of the planet), make EVERYTHING smooth...

Nah. That would take forever, and you're looking for a challenge that's fun, not some grind that's too close to work. Damn.

Build a base at every landing point around Terran? Not just a Habitat, but a full base...? Yeah, it's really tough to come up with ideas... Well, good luck!

I think you'd like to see this guy. He's removing Barren. 

After 610 hours of play I think I am completely out of ideas for my next play through. Maybe my only possible route to take now is collecting all 34 research pods? And saving them? To prove I did it?
Could playing the game be over? Have I done everything there is to do? 

Gods man! 610hrs?? I thought I was solid with my petty 255hrs, but holy crap!

Yeah, I'm afraid you may have to step away for a while... Go binge-watch Keeping Up With the Kardashians. That will kill enough brain cells that you'll forget what you'd been doing in the game...

Or go watch 'Passengers' and explain how the corporation that sent them out could have been wildly profitable, considering the round-trip time from ANY other system... =P

Here's my suggestion for a challenge that you may want to try. It is a variation of the Polar Challenge which I described quite some time ago.

The goal of the challenge is to place a beacon on every pole of each planet or moon in the solar system. The challenge is to do this while following two rules:

1. With the exception of Terran, you are limited to just one shuttle landing per planet and moon. Drop ship landings as a result of the death of your Astroneer are not limited.
  2. The beacon to mark a pole must be placed directly on that pole, with the sky being visible directly above that location, i.e. the view must not be blocked by a cavern ceiling or by overhanging terrain. Furthermore, if the pole lies within the circumference of a mountain range, then the beacon must be placed on the highest peak of that mountain range instead.

You can adjust the difficulty to your liking by e.g. also counting shuttle landings on Terran (and trying to complete this challenge with the possible minimum of only 5 landings total), allowing more landings per planet, or limiting yourself to only use medium shuttles. You are also able to influence the risk of a challenge run by deciding whether to deploy a habitat on each planet or not (if not, then death basically renders you unable to complete the challenge). It's also up to you whether you just take the resources to a planet that allow you to print a small rover there, or try to establish one or more bases on each planet.

If you want more alternatives, then just search for the keyword "challenge" in topic titles on this forum. There were quite a number of suggestions for all kinds of challenges in the first couple of months after Astroneer was made available in December 2016.

28 minutes ago, stephan.dickinson said:

You've completed the million byte challenge?   And without the mineral extractor?

Bytes are through the research chamber. What effect would not being able to use the mineral extractor have?

32 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

What effect would not being able to use the mineral extractor have?

You wouldn't be able to produce Titanium  (2000 bytes when researched) with free dirt.
Collecting all research pods is a great challenge and it implies exploration so go for it. 

Thanks to everyone for all the input and advice. I'm going to choose a different route. I'm going to be a logger. An Astroneer Logger. An Astrologger? 

I just received an order from the AISA- Astroneer Ikea Space Association for up to 1,000 trees! Apparently there is a need that just can't be filled anywhere else in the galaxy! I don't know if I can cut down 1,000 however I will get paid for all the trees I do cut down. The trick is going to be to put them into nice neat bundles so they can be later retrieved by an AISA space freighter. I will have to use beacons so AISA will know where to land and pick them up. Luckily I don't have to be there when they arrive to pick the trees up as it is all automated. 

As luck would have it I also received a message labeled urgent that I can't use organic materials for power. Apparently, I was sent the wrong filters for the small generator. Ground Control thinks I may be able to use a filter once before it will have to be discarded. Now I'm forced to use other means of power! 

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:42 AM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

After 610 hours of play I think I am completely out of ideas for my next play through. Maybe my only possible route to take now is collecting all 34 research pods? And saving them? To prove I did it?
Could playing the game be over? Have I done everything there is to do? 

I just exceeded 1800 Hours in game and 4.6million research.... You can do it Dude... you can Do It!

I went to the core of Terrain and Exotic and mined crap loads of Astronium for research.... at one point running 34 Research Platforms at a time..... That was fun...

My current "Dare Everybody" is to drive against the wind on Arid around the equator in a Buggy with only what's in your backpack and the Buggy.... Sound easy?

Have Fun

I don’t have any idea how much I’ve played the game, a “ton” I know, but despite Xbox trying to keep track there are “problems” :( I have a lot of medical issues (chronic pain, fibromyalgia and the like) not to mention I have a sleep disorder as well. I tend to nod off a lot when playing. I’m somewhat nocturnal from my severe sleep phase delay. I not only fall asleep when playing, sometimes my game just sits and idles while I sleep (maybe just 5-10 minutes when I’ll briefly doze off then wake back up and resume playing, occasionally it’ll be more like a 1-3 hr nap, rarely a full 6-8 hr stint of sleep). So my numbers aren’t very useful. I’d say somewhere around 50% (at least) is sleeping time not spent playing but beyond that I have no idea tbh how to adjust. Even the 50% is a guess, could be less but I’d rather overestimate. I do play everyday (although I have multiple accounts, so I no longer play everyday on the account tied to this “Gamertag”). It varies some, how much I spend playing other games on any given day as well, but I always spend several hours playing Astroneer each day as well. For this account the Xbox has tallied (including my idle time where I’ve slept, mind you) 88d 11h 51m lol :P I do love the game, started playing latter half of January 2017, and I’ve never grown tired of it. Its my chill game I can relax while playing. I don’t try to rush around or set specific goals. It helps a lot I can take my mind off of my discomfort and not worry about playing a game that’s competitive in nature or that I have to worry about solving puzzles or focus a lot of attention on (at least not yet anyway, but I’m excited for what the future will bring). I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s spent a lot of time playing Astroneer as well. There aren’t as many people on Xbox who’ve spent a lot of time with the game, at least that’s the impression I get. Some of that may be related to the co-op experience. Many people on console enjoy playing games with their friends (not implying PC players don’t, so don’t jump on me please) and co-op is “difficult” to cope with for very long at the moment. I know it will get better, I’m not big on co-op play anyway (being an older gamer myself), but a lot of young folk prefer co-op over single player so it’s crucial SES get the experience running smoothly in the long-term. I have faith though. It won’t be easy, but I’m sure it’ll come together. All things in due time :) 

3 hours ago, KeeblerOrc said:

I just exceeded 1800 Hours in game and 4.6million research.... You can do it Dude... you can Do It!

I

Is there a place to see how much you've played????? I'd be curious :)