Gray Mouser

0.7.0.0 Steam World surface glitch

Ok, I've had an experience I've never had before...well, ok...several.

So I love the new steering, Small Rover, etc... After learning the patch was out (I tend to be a little behind the times on those things), I launched my prior save, burned the points to make myself a Small Rover and drove all over the place with it, having a ball.

As is usually my way to do things, I decided to start a fresh save so my whole playthrough would be in 0.7.0.0... To start, I did not like the location. No trees, on approach I see no drop pyramid and that there are numerous sub-surface tunnels...was about to just exit back out, delete the save and start another, when I noticed an Astroneer corpse a short distance from my landing point, so decide to try to tough it out (the resource bonus of a corpse pack can really make a difference). Besides, as I've never immediately abandoned a fresh launch (I like the challenge of making the best of things) I wasn't too keen on doing so this time, so I stuck with it.

I had been right about how bad the gen was, and in fact, the doggone body vanished after my base unpacked (I later discovered it had just been pushed slightly below the surface by that last bit of ground render, and was able to dig it up), but with very sparse research boxes/materials it took a while, but I finally managed to get materials together, and unlock my Vehicle Bay, Small Rover, and Open 1-seat...

Now, the first thing I had discovered that was strange was that in several places I was finding both Compound AND Resin in a single mining location. I mean actually intermingled such that I'd switch back and forth between the sound of Resin being completed to my pack, and Compound doing so... Which I've never had before, but I figured 'Well, whatever. Must just be a weird gen.' and kept going.

So I get my Small Rover built, throw my Small Solar Panel on it for charge, and realizing I don't have the Compound for a Small Generator, I just head out to find some, so I can get two power sources on my Rover, and away I go. Fairly quickly, I find a modest deposit of Compound, make my Generator, stick it on the Rover, and keep going. This is exploration, and since I had also seen NO wreckage, had decided I REALLY wanted to find some, so I might get some Lithium for batteries... So the journey continues.

A modest distance along, and I find a nice big Compound deposit, and thinking this would be a good chance to stock up, and return to base (I still hadn't even SEEN any wreckage), I hop out, and start harvesting Compound. Strip out the deposit, and now loaded up pretty well, I decide that I don't wanna leave a hole out on an open plain, so I use my flatten tool to cover over the hole...and that's when it happens. I'd just closed the new cover over the hole, when my Rover just sinks straight into the ground, without so much as a 'by your leave', and at the same time I  drop into the ground as well, but proceed to bob back to the surface, and keep bobbing!  Realizing that for some reason the ground had destabilized under my feet, and that I needed to get out, I tried walking forward, which did move me that way, and I finally bobbed up and stepped out of the glitched ground. Remembering the Astroneer corpse, I thought 'maybe my rover...?' But no amount of digging (once the Terrain Tool was willing to affect it) exposed the Rover. Now I'm standing here, well away from my base, no Rover, messed up ground that seemed  to have gone back to normal, and O2 running out...

So figuring I'd just restore back to the last time I'd gotten into my rover, I just exited, then re-entered...and was still standing on the edge of the pit, O2 running out...! Exit again, fully close the game, wait a little, and relaunch...to beginning to suffocate! What the heck?? Really? A save state, just to prevent my restoring my lost rover?? Aaagghh!

So I don't know if I just got a glitched world, and once the accumulated errors built up enough it just failed to render the surface of the world, but for some reason made my Astroneer bob on the surface like I was swimming...hey, you guys ain't working on water effects, are you??

Anyway, that's my report. I guess I'll just start a new save, and try again.

I finally fell through the ground today and started bopping up and down and then I got out. But I did notice something interesting when moving the terrain tool's brush icon near the area where I fell through. The brush icon would disappear completely but leave a little arrow pointing down.

i0V9ggC.png

By just moving the brush icon around the area, you could clearly see where the hole was. I've noticed this phenomenon before when digging resource deposits, where the brush icon would disappear and which shows is smaller arrow or sometimes would show nothing but a little dot. When I continued to dig near the hole, the brush icon would return.
The solution I found to temporarily fix these holes, was to raise the terrain just next to the hole and it would return to normal.

Yeah... After posting this, I went back into the save and started finding evidence that the whole save is corrupted...

430685122_ScreenShot05-15-18at01_48AM.thumb.PNG.2e0efc2ac1a2e4a9403717f37d68199d.PNG

That weren't there when I built my base...

713835410_ScreenShot05-15-18at01.48AM001.thumb.PNG.d84675e6546870b0099f212b242345b2.PNG

THAT'S a bit of a gap...

1937415256_ScreenShot05-15-18at01_47AM.thumb.PNG.f4a300db94f4bc8740c5ec671ab1d601.PNG

Ok... I KNOW that wasn't there when I placed those tethers...

724906567_ScreenShot05-15-18at01_46AM.thumb.PNG.8c5439df6d5c0cc6e9500cd70549aac3.PNG

Woah... There's a great big cube inside the world... I know I didn't make THAT!

2012839367_ScreenShot05-15-18at01.46AM001.thumb.PNG.b76e95c605361e33921c1583aac92815.PNG

Uh... That don't seem right...1252639455_ScreenShot05-15-18at01.47AM001.thumb.PNG.46d22cadb0e052ced35f1305249cdeea.PNG

Yeah... I'm pretty sure I shouldn't see my cave exploration from up here...

So yeah... I'm thinking the world ain't supposed to be that badly-stitched-quilt looking... I guess I'll try again... Sigh.

I've also just had this happen when trying to Cover over a Resin Hole. Here's a Copy of my Saved game, I saved inside a old rocket (Haven't removed the Seat from it yet). Just a bit north of the squishy ground, dropped a flashing red beacon.

20180515234936_1.jpg

20180515234933_1.jpg

20180515234938_1.jpg

Russian
Присоединяюсь со своим багрепортом.

- Мышь и клавиатура.
- 0.7.0.0, PC, настройки графики: все на максимум, 1024х1280

- Проблема возникла в одну из игровых сессий. Персонаж начал проваливаться под землю и потом вылетать из нее как пробка из бутылки... Один такой вылет персонажа и прибил... События были на базе... Чем глубже ты проваливаешься тем больший импульс будет при вылете из под земли. 

Дальше хуже... Во время поездки на поезде из средних роверов (3 ровера. Головной и 2 склада.) он вдруг начал ехать вниз под землю и в итоге остановился в пещерах под ним. Транспорт не выталкивается из под земли а продолжает лететь вниз пока не встретит пещеру. Если выйти из транспорта то персонаж полетит к поверхности... Если на пути такого полета есть пещера то он взлитит под потолок этой пещеры, упрется в него и будет висеть пока не иссякнет импульс вылета... Далее гравитация возмет свое и астронавт шмякнется о землю...

Из пещеры я выехал успешно и вернулся домой... Поиграл ешё немного и вышел...
На следующий день зашел в игру, загрузился, обустраивал базу, раз 5 проваливался (похоже как будто персонаж решил поплавать в земле) и вдруг обнаружил что ни шаттла (большой шаттл со всей обвязкой) ни поезда из средних роверов на базе нет... хотя при начале игровой сессии были. Удивляет избранность проваливания - шаттл и поезд из средних роверов пропал, а малый ровер и кран стоящие рядом -  нет...

ОООКЕЙ! Чувак это альфа! 
Следующая игровая сессия.
Построил поезд из больших роверов (2 ровера. 1: голова + склад, 2: средний склад + средний склад) (далее - поезд). За игровую сессию с ними НИЧЕГО НЕ СЛУЧИЛОСЬ... совсем... хотя персонаж плавал в земле раз 10. Но в один прекрасный момент спускаясь с горы к поезду (лазил к спутнику) услышал бурю - поторопился - и убился от падения. Поехал на малом ровере (его не жалко оставить) к поезду. Благо весь пройденный путь обозначаю маячками так что - бы стоя на одном маяке можно было увидеть следующий. Почти доехал и вдруг провалился, пролетел мимо пещер и продолжил падать вниз. Падал минуты полторы. Вылез из ровера. Ровер полетел дальше а персонаж начал ускоряться вверх - встретил пещеру - взлетел под потолок - повисел секунд 15 и упал на пол. Без кислорода, фонаря и ресурсов естественно в пещере я помер. Построил новый малый ровер - поехал снова за поездом... По пути нашел кубическое неизвестное и рядом "соединение", решил отметить его маяком и ехать дальше. Вылез из ровера, и он через секунд 15 просто провалился под землю прямо на глазах.

- Предполагаю что просто играть, если присовокупит опыт человека выше то баг появляется в процессе игры. Появляющихся и ищезающих элементов ландшафта как у человека выше не наблюдал.

English (translate.google.com)

I join my bugreport.

- Mouse and keyboard.
- 0.7.0.0, PC, graphics settings: all to the maximum, 1024x1280

- The problem arose in one of the game sessions. The character began to fall under the ground and then fly out of it like a cork from a bottle ... One such flight of the character and nailed ... The events were on the base ... The deeper you fail, the greater the momentum will be when flying out of the ground.

Further worse ... During the trip on a train from medium rovers (3 rovers, Head and 2 stores), he suddenly started to go down to the ground and eventually stopped in the caves below him. Transport is not pushed out of the ground and continues to fly down until it encounters a cave. If you leave the transport, then the character will fly to the surface ... If there is a cave on the way of such a flight, he will pour into the ceiling of this cave, rests against it and will hang until the impulse of departure is exhausted ... Next, gravity will take its and the astronaut shy about the ground ...

From the cave I left successfully and returned home ... I played a little more and left ...
The next day went into the game, booted up, rebuilt the base, 5 times failed (it seems as if the character decided to swim in the ground) and suddenly found that neither the shuttle (the big shuttle with the entire harness) nor the train of medium rovers on the base ... at the beginning of the game session were. Surprised by the selectivity of failure - the shuttle and the train from the middle rovers disappeared, and the small rover and the crane standing side by side - no ...

OOOKEY! Dude is alpha!
Next game session.
I built a train from large rovers (2 rovers, 1: head + warehouse, 2: average warehouse + average warehouse) (hereinafter - the train). For the game session, nothing happened with them ... absolutely ... although the character swam in the ground 10 times. But one day, going down from the mountain to the train (climbing to the satellite) heard the storm - hurried - and was killed from falling. I rode on a small rover (it's not a pity to leave it) to the train. Fortunately, the whole path I have traversed is designated by beacons so that - standing on one lighthouse one could see the following. Nearly reached and suddenly fell through, flew past the caves and continued to fall down. The minutes and a half fell. He climbed out of the rover. The rover flew farther and the character began to accelerate up - met the cave - took off under the ceiling - hung for 15 seconds and fell to the floor. Without oxygen, a flashlight and resources, naturally, I died in a cave. He built a new small rover - he drove again behind the train ... On the way he found a cubic unknown and next "connection", decided to mark it with a beacon and go on. He climbed out of the rover, and in 15 seconds he simply fell into the ground right before his eyes.

- I suppose that just playing, if you add the experience of a person higher then the bug appears during the game. Appearing and scrubbing elements of the landscape as a man above did not observe.
The

I'll try later to take it all out on the video and download it here, and also attach a preset game

Yep. There's definitely an issue with solidity of the ground.

So I started a new save after all the bad stuff in the last one. Have not had issues with falling through the surface, but have seen some anomalies... Got myself back into collecting Research, and running through the short path to the Small Rover, and found a nice close cave to explore. Head down into it, following one of those sharp downward tunnels that dead-end on a round chamber with something (usually) in the center of it, and as I went through an intersecting chamber and resumed following it down, I suddenly found an Organic-type Research Block just sitting on the floor... 'Hmm... that's a little strange, but ok...'. Grabbed it and took it back. Came back to resume the tunnel, get down to the bottom (discovering some Coal on the way), find a Mineral-type in the expected chamber. No problem there. Run it back to base and start it processing.

Start exploring a different cave where I find another Research block (and TWO wrecked Hubble with Dynamite and a corpse) and start hauling the block up from where I found it...and as I'm climbing back up the tunnel (picking up my tethers as I go) another Research Block drops into the tunnel... 'Um...that's not normal...' take a few more steps, and ANOTHER one drops into the same tunnel. Literally maybe 20ft (scale) apart, if that. Now, I KNOW the first one COULD have been just barely connected to the ceiling and dropped after I went to return, and I just didn't see it (it could happen), but the second one I actually SAW passing through the ceiling to fall into the tunnel.

So it seems there is some sort of issue with the process of maintaining ground solidity, and keeping objects that start out embedded in the planet face in their intended position. This causes me concern...imagine if my underground Research blocks (my world AGAIN has no trees) start just falling through the planet as I pass even NEAR them... Unless I happen to be in a chamber that is below where they generated, I'd never see them, and never know they had been there! Gah...

3 minutes ago, Gray Mouser said:

Yep. There's definitely an issue with solidity of the ground.

So I started a new save after all the bad stuff in the last one. Have not had issues with falling through the surface, but have seen some anomalies... Got myself back into collecting Research, and running through the short path to the Small Rover, and found a nice close cave to explore. Head down into it, following one of those sharp downward tunnels that dead-end on a round chamber with something (usually) in the center of it, and as I went through an intersecting chamber and resumed following it down, I suddenly found an Organic-type Research Block just sitting on the floor... 'Hmm... that's a little strange, but ok...'. Grabbed it and took it back. Came back to resume the tunnel, get down to the bottom (discovering some Coal on the way), find a Mineral-type in the expected chamber. No problem there. Run it back to base and start it processing.

Start exploring a different cave where I find another Research block (and TWO wrecked Hubble with Dynamite and a corpse) and start hauling the block up from where I found it...and as I'm climbing back up the tunnel (picking up my tethers as I go) another Research Block drops into the tunnel... 'Um...that's not normal...' take a few more steps, and ANOTHER one drops into the same tunnel. Literally maybe 20ft (scale) apart, if that. Now, I KNOW the first one COULD have been just barely connected to the ceiling and dropped after I went to return, and I just didn't see it (it could happen), but the second one I actually SAW passing through the ceiling to fall into the tunnel.

So it seems there is some sort of issue with the process of maintaining ground solidity, and keeping objects that start out embedded in the planet face in their intended position. This causes me concern...imagine if my underground Research blocks (my world AGAIN has no trees) start just falling through the planet as I pass even NEAR them... Unless I happen to be in a chamber that is below where they generated, I'd never see them, and never know they had been there! Gah...

Russian
Да, я сам наблюдал это но не придал этому значения ибо такое происходило у меня в пещерах с высоким потолком либо вне видимой зоны ( Обернулся - о неизвестное. Возвращаюсь на базу - о неизвестное. Еду и у меня впереди что то падает - ну просто механика игры может оно созрело и упало с потолка.) Согласен что это может быть взаимосвязано.

English

Yes, I myself watched it, but did not attach this importance to this meaning that it occurred to me in caves with a high ceiling or outside the visible zone. (Turned around - hello "unknown". I return to the base - "unknown", it may have ripened and fallen from the ceiling.) I agree that this can be interrelated.

Posted (edited)

I've had a similar issue, at one point I fell through the floor into another cavern just below.  And just today I load up my game and notice that for whatever reason the surface doesn't look quite right.  Like everything's jagged looking and the shadows on the surface aren't smooth like they usually are, and then I find this.

https://i.imgur.com/EkRTtAA.png

Tried going to barren and coming back, still the same.  Quit and reloaded, still the same.

Platform: Steam 

GPU: Nvidia 770

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790S @3.2GHz

Edited by Scrublord

In my opinion, this problem must be urgently solved because it seriously breaks the game process. When you lose everything you achieved in 2-3 game sessions, this is very huge.

New update:

So dropping Research boxes is confirmed. I entered a cave, and where there was an intersecting cave tunnel, the rock had been carved away around the Organic-type Research Block that was supposed to be buried under a pair of small Gas Pods. I was not in a position to return a Research Block to my base (I was driving around in my Small Rover), so I just left it in place until I could return. When I came back to get it and a couple others, I found this:

856002983_ScreenShot05-16-18at07_23PM.thumb.PNG.a37494823f5fcdc6e02f940c9341008f.PNG

Sadly, I had not taken a screen shot of before the drop, but you can see the two small Gas Pods on the shelf above. The Research Block on the floor had been over half embedded in the soil under the Pods, but had fallen out by the time I returned.

I'm pretty sure this is happening throughout my game, so I'm trying to find as many as I can and completely remove them from the ground before leaving the area, as they don't seem inclined to dropping through the surface if they are placed there after removal from the ground. I can't tell you how many Gas Bag clusters I've killed only to find nothing under them. Obviously, there's no way to be sure there had been a Research Block under any given trio of Gas Bags, but I seem to be finding an inordinately low number of them with Blocks under them... Particularly tough on a world render without trees... (T_T)

@Scrublord: Yeah, it looks like you have the same kind of corrupted save I had with my first 0.7.0.0 fresh game. You can try to close those up by Terrain Tool use, but since you found one, there are likely to be a LOT of others. Best to just start a new game...

Oh, and final note to others: If you decide to type a message to someone else in the thread without quoting them, never select their name from the dropdown box that will appear as you type their name. It will create a color highlighted version of their name on your post. Once it has, you won't be able to delete it, nor type anything after it. (As shown below) It really sucks.

@Scrublord

Posted (edited)

I made a temporary crutch for our problem. Works at the expense of Windows tools.

Astroneer Saves Periodic Backup - run during the game so that your backups are copied to another location (%systemdrive%\Astroneer Saves Backup's) with a periodicity of 10 minutes. This will give you the opportunity to return to the previous game state if necessary. Works only on versions of Windows older than Vista.

Astroneer Saves Backup - does the same thing once that the file is higher only without a 10 minute wait.

Astroneer Saves Restore - Close the game, run the file, enter the name of the save from the list and press Enter. We start the game and are happy. There is protection from a fool.

Virus scans:
Astroneer Saves Periodic Backup
Astroneer Saves Backup
Astroneer Saves Restore

Download files:

Astroneer Saves Backup.cmd

Astroneer Saves Periodic Backup.cmd

Astroneer Saves Restore.cmd

Edited by Evgen1901

Yes i have had this bobbing effect too where i could go under my base and bob up the other side

21 hours ago, Evgen1901 said:

I made a temporary crutch for our problem. Works at the expense of Windows tools.

Astroneer Saves Periodic Backup - run during the game so that your backups are copied to another location (%systemdrive%\Astroneer Saves Backup's) with a periodicity of 10 minutes. This will give you the opportunity to return to the previous game state if necessary. Works only on versions of Windows older than Vista.

Astroneer Saves Backup - does the same thing once that the file is higher only without a 10 minute wait.

Astroneer Saves Restore - Close the game, run the file, enter the name of the save from the list and press Enter. We start the game and are happy. There is protection from a fool.

Virus scans:
Astroneer Saves Periodic Backup
Astroneer Saves Backup
Astroneer Saves Restore

Download files:

Astroneer Saves Backup.cmd

Astroneer Saves Periodic Backup.cmd

Astroneer Saves Restore.cmd

I just use GoodSync and do a One-way Copy. And Now looking at it I should do some Purging. Some are old (version) saves. http://prntscr.com/jjno3y

Posted (edited)

Just reloaded and I noticed I have a section of ground that has shifted, showing what's under ground.

20180518134618_1.jpg

Edited by Bear67
grammer error

1 hour ago, Bear67 said:

I just use GoodSync and do a One-way Copy. And Now looking at it I should do some Purging. Some are old (version) saves. http://prntscr.com/jjno3y

I see no reason to look for any third-party tools when you can write the tool yourself. Here is the case when I made a program for myself - put this program on the forum. To whom it is necessarily useful.
P.S. The game does not like alt + tab during downloads. Crash in 100% of cases ...

@Evgen1901: Yep. That is EXACTLY the effect I experienced on my corrupted save. In that save, when I logged out completely from the game, then after a while logged back in, I found the HUGE number of landscape breaks like I posted, and Bear67 also posted.

After a new restart, I still haven't experienced it again, but I have been having the whole 'Research blocks falling through the ground' effect. No way to tell how often, since it happens downward, so all I see is almost never finding Research Blocks under gasbags or spitters. It really makes research difficult on a world without trees...

I've started a new save also and until now I've got no seams/odd geometry /sinking rovers problem yet. I started using boxifier to add the save folder to my dropbox sync and i'm going to test something. I notice sometimes it happens when you choose "back to game menu" instead of closing down the game. But it's not reproduced yet. Now that I can roll back saves, I can test this in the future.

Posted (edited)

Pay attention to the sound before the fall of the research block ... It happens in the caves. As soon as I run away from a bunch of things at a certain distance, it starts to rattle. If you stand at a certain point, it thunders constantly. Items from the pile are not lost. Perhaps this is interconnected with our bug. But even if it's okay, but in the caves this sound scares.

Скачать видео

In the end, the classical arrival of the research block.

Edited by Evgen1901