The latest vehicle update defaulting to absolute steering prompted me to finally make this suggestion.  Thanks for the option to go back to camera steering, btw.  I'm on Windows using Steam and have 800 hours in the game. Admittedly some of those are when physically away while research crunches along but  I'm clearly addicted and have loved the game since early pre-alpha..  Perhaps I'm in a small minority, but I prefer camera steering for everything... vehicles and player.  As a result, I've spent most of those 800 hours with my finger pressing the right mouse button.  I've tried absolute steering, I've tried a controller.  I can make them all work but I just really prefer steering by point of view.  I apologize if I've missed it somewhere else but don't see an option or references to a request/suggestion to somehow make camera steering possible without holding down a button.  Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, pkeller55 said:

The latest vehicle update defaulting to absolute steering prompted me to finally make this suggestion.  Thanks for the option to go back to camera steering, btw.  I'm on Windows using Steam and have 800 hours in the game. Admittedly some of those are when physically away while research crunches along but  I'm clearly addicted and have loved the game since early pre-alpha..  Perhaps I'm in a small minority, but I prefer camera steering for everything... vehicles and player.  As a result, I've spent most of those 800 hours with my finger pressing the right mouse button.  I've tried absolute steering, I've tried a controller.  I can make them all work but I just really prefer steering by point of view.  I apologize if I've missed it somewhere else but don't see an option or references to a request/suggestion to somehow make camera steering possible without holding down a button.  Am I missing something?

Hi, in the mouse/keyboard options you can choose one or another option, the current or previous steering form.

I do not know if that answers your question, but with reference to the way you look is not possible without holding down the right mouse button. It really can be tiring, I know that.

I don't mind steering as much, but I also have the right mouse button down so often just looking around that I sometimes forget to release it, and find my hand cramping.

Agree this needs a change in the furture. The few times I've played on PC, I've thought holding or toggling with shift or tab would be a bit better than holding right-click. 

You should really rename this thread to "Persistent Mouse Look" or "Default to Mouse Look" as that is what you are asking for. "Camera Steering" already works the way you like and can be enabled currently, while holding right mouse button. What you want is to have the camera view port bound to the mouse. In my opinion this would be super cumbersome trying to do anything in menu items like your backpack, etc. A better solution may be to make "Mouse Look" a toggle rather than a press+hold control as @Blind Io mentioned.