NitrousPanda

Robot Astroneer Suit

I was watching Boston Dynamics Atlas Robot and I thought why doesn't Astroneer do something with Robotics.

I would LOVE to see a Robotic Astroneer Suit, it would be something really fun and exciting.

It could change up the dynamics of survival by requiring only power to operate, and draining power at the rate of oxygen.

Something to consider :)

Umm I don’t think a robot Astroneer makes much sense but i do like the idea of robotics and drones

So kinda like its all one resource but it more expensive now...

would you get any new abilities or disadvantages with the robot suite

also would this be a option to switch to or would it be a upgrade

now you have my attention as you can tell

Right so, I told NitrousPanda I'd lean in from the discord to give my two cents about his idea, and here goes nothing.

So the initial idea is something along the lines of 'have an astroneer that's a robot.' And while this could probably just be a skin, as Nitrous points out, that feels a little lackluster. SO we'll probably want our robot player to eschew oxygen for just using power, as he says.

The main challenges and opportunities here are how it shifts the relationship of the player with the survival mechanics. I feel like it should be at least relatively balanced, since the loss of need for oxygen is replaced with a need to monitor power consumption much more carefully. The major downsides to this are that there's now a resource out in the world and a few tools which the player has absolutely no need for. (Loose oxygen pickups, the tank, and filters, respectively.)

The first balance complication that comes to mind is in the robots power draw. The tethering to Oxygen limits the players range as a primary mechanic. If the robot can just equip solar panels and wind turbine to itself, this foregoes the need to tether itself on the surface to a degree. However, it's probable that getting power deep down will be harder for it than getting Oxygen for the 'normal' astroneers. This *might* balance out the two playstyles to some degree.

It doesn't make sense for the robot to 'die' when its battery is depleted. Instead perhaps it simply powers down, and powers back up if power is restored to it, either by the sun coming up or another player bringing it a battery, or however. A 'hold E to reassemble' sort of option could allow the player to respawn manually to avoid situations where running out of power traps them completely.

With a dramatic change in playstyles is also the question of introductions to their concepts. Allowing a new player to immediately pick up the robot choice, which we can see as an 'advanced' or variant playstyle, may complicate the learning experience. So it may be best to keep them as an unlockable of sorts. As I see it, this could take a few likely forms:

First, the robot choice could simply come with a warning popup that it's kind of advanced, won't include a tutorial, and you should play another character first. A crude solution, but effective.

Secondly, it could be gated behind some in-game event that allows the player to unlock it for use. This is probably unnecessary, but may dovetail into other unlock systems the game may or may not include. (I can only speculate.)

Thirdly, the robot could be, not a player character replacement, per-se, but an extension. Something the player can launch from their base or drop from a spacecraft to scout out things before they risk their astroneer. (If risk to the Astroneer themselves ever becomes more problem than inconvenience, in any case.)

This third option also opens an interesting possibility for multiplayer: In that on a large dedicated server where travel is difficult, a player could perhaps build a robot and then allow another player far away to teleoperate it without actually traveling. Allowing a friend to help them out without needing to organize a flight across the entire game space. The construction of a robot in this fashion could also be a method for public drop-ins. Allowing a player on a local instance to construct a robot and then set its controls to 'open' allowing its slot to appear on a public game browser. Allowing them a more in-character control of that player interaction. (They can always change the permissions on or turn off the robot, if their new visitor isn't playing nice. 'kicking' them in that in-universe fashion.)

Provided the third option is considered, the building of robot player avatars could also allow them to be used to facilitate some simple NPC interaction. Allowing 'uninhabited' robots to be used to automate simple tasks under the players direction, perhaps.

In any case, given the themes and goals of the game as I understand them, I think this idea is really onto something. Semi-humanoid robots seem increasingly likely to play a pivotal role in space exploration, so allowing the player access to them in some way, even if in the end it's just an alternate astronaut skin, seems like a solid move to me.

I had some other ideas about how the robot may influence the playstyle of a player using it. (Such as different interactions with vehicles, etc,) but they don't seem entirely *necessary* simply neat. The change in its survival mechanics would probably be distinction enough.

@Durendal5150 the third option is a amazing idea, there would be a module that the player sits and can control the robots around the solar system, you would only be able to create robots from there, and mostly, they would work like a normal player, but, they are controlled via wi-fi, so when they get a lower connection (by going down in caves, or going inside a dust storm), a wi-fi signal will be lowered, it will respond less to the controls, and the vision will be. less conection, less acebility to the robot.

I like the idea of the drone thing were you can control or set to automation, and also i feel like u may need to know that you can recive power from tethers

if u ever put a mechical robot suit that your astroneer can u as any other vehicle. i think it could be used where rovers are not meant to go aka mountain tops for drilling. it should have a bigger backpack like the astroneer does it should be able to climb the mountains without the need to dig a path up the mountain.

23 hours ago, Phoebe Harris said:

if u ever put a mechical robot suit that your astroneer can u as any other vehicle. i think it could be used where rovers are not meant to go aka mountain tops for drilling. it should have a bigger backpack like the astroneer does it should be able to climb the mountains without the need to dig a path up the mountain.

The new small rover can go pretty much up a vertical ledge now

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:20 PM, Phoebe Harris said:

if u ever put a mechical robot suit that your astroneer can u as any other vehicle. i think it could be used where rovers are not meant to go aka mountain tops for drilling. it should have a bigger backpack like the astroneer does it should be able to climb the mountains without  the need to dig a path up the mountain.

i know the small rover can go up anything but a robot suit for the astroneer would be very nice big battery and great storage drill arm left scoop claw arm right grappling hooks for  steep hill climbing snd getting out of holes u dig for ore

So here what I’m picturing a robot looking like the Astroneer with extra inventory can climb even up the steepest ledges and can drill if needed

ok