Martin

I like the new Small Rover - So when are you going to nerf it?

The All new All Terrain Buggy..

image.thumb.png.f0b63cfae2aa294067bc7a3f039a4f04.png

Only issue is it seems to go better backwards that forwards...

The Medium Buggy..

image.thumb.png.a6ae9ed6359e574a0ece9bc752ec0a1a.png

Seems to work better using the Non Dedicated driving system.  Although it is very confusing in tight spaces.  Often reversing in directions it shouldn't be going.  The dedicated system would probably be better, once the remap bug is fixed, for me, not being able to look where I want whilst driving is an issue.

I absolutely think that’s the updated driving system fixed a lot of issues and is a lot better than the old one. The one and only problem I have is that the medium rover, not sure about the large one, (becusss I haven’t tested the large one yet) but the medium rover will use energy even when only turning the wheels. Without throttle or reverse try turning your wheels, you will use power to go nowhere 

Yeh i think it's pretty obvious that the medium rover is bugged.  I doubt it's intended to be that bad.

I love the new little buggy, it's a great scout vehicle and a heck of a mountain climber - otherwise it's useless for hauling things around. I don't think it needs a nerf considering they managed to fix the "take a seat while you pick something up" exploit. Honestly I wouldn't mind being able to package this so I can load it on something mobile.

Otherwise, I'm hoping they alter the steering mechanic a bit, It hasn't got that good of a turn radius and navigating underground is still tricky. 

Actually I just built my first and second large rover and they both won’t move at all while still moving power trying to do so.  I am a proud owner of a Chevrolet Volt In real life and you don’t hear about a persons losing electric charge while turning their steering wheel ??‍♂

1 hour ago, rileya_c said:

you don’t hear about a persons losing electric charge while turning their steering wheel

I just thought it had power steering, I now see that I might have been scammed! I knew i shouldn't have trusted that shady figure offering a fuel-efficient exploration blueprint for my printer!

other than that it was totally worth 500 bytes and 2 compound, great ride

9 hours ago, shadowcrafter01 said:

I just thought it had power steering, I now see that I might have been scammed! I knew i shouldn't have trusted that shady figure offering a fuel-efficient exploration blueprint for my printer!

other than that it was totally worth 500 bytes and 2 compound, great ride

No no I think you may have misunderstood me, lol the new tiny small rover has no problems for me at the moment. The old, medium and large rovers are where the problems are. The medium rover will lose power when all I’m doing is turning the steering wheel. The large rover with 6 wheels literally will not move instantly after I print it. I think system era needs to express ship a hot fix 

3 hours ago, rileya_c said:

The medium rover will lose power when all I’m doing is turning the steering wheel

yea not a fan of that, but as i said i just thought it as power steering (and logically it does make sense) but still annoying

3 hours ago, rileya_c said:

The large rover with 6 wheels literally will not move instantly after I print it

experienced that many times, not after a print specifically but after i leave it for a second, i just dig under the wheels a bit and it comes loose, at least as a temporary solution just dont park on the undiggable stuff your habitat sits on :P

I really wish the small Rover (Buggy ) could be printed from the Small Printer...............

The buggy is a step in the right direction. Hopefully the larger vehicles will get the same treatment and be worth using soon. 

19 hours ago, shadowcrafter01 said:

yea not a fan of that, but as i said i just thought it as power steering (and logically it does make sense) but still annoying

No, it is illogical and it does not make sense. Not sure how the main power source would be drained by turning the steering wheel on this world but hey who knows maybe the physics are different on other worlds?

To me, the small rover's only utility is for sightseeing. You can't really do anything useful with it other than joyriding or to go scout for stuff, but then you have to drive all the way back to the base and come back with a real rover to haul your finds, and that's not time-efficient to me. I built one, drove it around for a couple of minutes, and never touched it again except to move it out of the way. The only way I would see a utility for it would be in multiplayer, where up to three other people would be driving small rovers and one be driving a large rover train to collect stuff...

If anything, the other two rovers (especially the large one) need a buff to energy consumption. That large rover swallows energy like a mofo...

I doubt it's gonna get nerfed. It was supposed to be used for this kind of thing.

7 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

No, it is illogical and it does not make sense. Not sure how the main power source would be drained by turning the steering wheel on this world but hey who knows maybe the physics are different on other worlds?

for the small rover it may be more illogical as pure arm strength may be enough to turn those wheels, but on the large ones i doubt my arms would be able to turn 4 massive wheels at once on rough terrain

also keep in mind that turning used to actually move the rover (back in camera steering) and they probably haven't fully separated the two steering methods yet

7 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Hopefully the larger vehicles will get the same treatment and be worth using soon. 

how are they not worth using now? the usefulness of at least 10x-50x the amount of storage space (and being able to carry 2-slot items) over vast distances deserves a massive negative aspect so as to make them a very difficult yet satisfying goal to strive for over many hours, it just takes time...

Time, patience, seems to me that lots of people now days lack it... 

this game is understandably insanely difficult to make, and being that it is not based on rovers, they haven't received attention as fast as other things, for if rovers were all they had to worry about they would have been done correctly the first time as they wouldn't have made the world round, which is probably the reason behind 90% of all the problems in the game, not just rovers.

how many other games do you know of that have a round world with varying gravitational strength depending on your distance from the core while still having the entire planet destructible in a very complicated way? The system probably just cannot handle something like a rover driving over it, and i don't blame it, SES has much more to worry about than making rovers work absolutely flawlessly, which is impossible. IMO i would prefer Astroneer with semi-functional rovers and more content, as opposed to less content but hey, rovers work

personally, i am just going to be patient and play the game slowly but surely to get my way to the top, then move to another planet and do it again there, IMO the more steps it takes to accomplish a large goal, the better. 

(I apologize for the long post but endless complaining just kinda gets at me :P)

28 minutes ago, shadowcrafter01 said:

how are they not worth using now? 

Time, patience, seems to me that lots of people now days lack it... 

this game is understandably insanely difficult to make, and being that it is not based on rovers, they haven't received attention as fast as other things, for if rovers were all they had to worry about they would have been done correctly the first time as they wouldn't have made the world round, which is probably the reason behind 90% of all the problems in the game, not just rovers.

how many other games do you know of that have a round world with varying gravitational strength depending on your distance from the core while still having the entire planet destructible in a very complicated way? The system probably just cannot handle something like a rover driving over it, and i don't blame it, SES has much more to worry about than making rovers work absolutely flawlessly, which is impossible. IMO i would prefer Astroneer with semi-functional rovers and more content, as opposed to less content but hey, rovers work

personally, i am just going to be patient and play the game slowly but surely to get my way to the top, then move to another planet and do it again there, IMO the more steps it takes to accomplish a large goal, the better. 

(I apologize for the long post but endless complaining just kinda gets at me :P)

Can I drive over soil I placed without falling through the ground? Are they stable in a windstorm? Where do I have to place the front seat? And the list goes on regarding the issues medium and large rovers. Have you read any posts on this forum? It is littered with complaints about rovers. 

Time/patience is different for everyone on earth and in outer space. The point you are making that you have more than I do makes you A) superior B) you opinion on time more valuable than mine C) what seems to you to be simple fact is yet again just your opinion on the subject. D) opinions are like butt holes everybody has one

The game being difficult to make has nothing to do with me. It has nothing to do with my level of patience or not, in your opinion of course. They sold me a game. The fact that they decide to put it on a round earth and are the only games to do so is totally and completely on them. I as a customer don't care that it is hard to make a game. They are in the business of producing a game. I should cut them more slack than other game companies, other companies I buy products from because it is "hard" to do? SES decided to make a round game not me. Did they ask me? Did they ask you? Did they place a disclaimer on their product that "we use a round world so rovers will never work properly that is why we the company provided them to you, the customer" Huh?

To me the connection is crystal clear. It is like you purchased a F1 game and the steering wheel pedal combo has no brake pedal. Sure you can go forward but you can't stop. I would be upset about that. Apparently you would be perfectly fine with that. Just like I said it is all just a matter of opinion.

What you do personally does not affect the way I play or feel. I see you have your opinion and because of that I too should feel that way. And because I don't and refuse to sit on my hands and accept the way things are I am of course in your opinion, impatient

If you don't like to read what is posted....don't. Just hover your mouse over my name and select the ignore option! Walla! 

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, KeeblerOrc said:

I really wish the small Rover (Buggy ) could be printed from the Small Printer...............

In a Crate!! Awesome idea.. Can stick it on a ship, fly to planet, unfold into buggy, slap on a battery and solar.. off you go exploring!!

Or stick a magnet on it's roof, drive next to large spaceship, with a similar magnet on the side of it, jump out, push a button on ship, buggy is magnetised to the ship and on planet.. push button off and explore.. Yeh.. I could go for that!

Course.. that would require some work from SeSnails.. ;)  And I was kidding about nerfing it.. really..

Edited by Martin

1 hour ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Have you read any posts on this forum? It is littered with complaints about rovers

I think that's something that really upsets me, there are plenty of people bashing and breaking down anything anyone does in the world, we need more people to understand and focus on the good things that they have done, not that those who focus on the bad are just wrong, we do need some to keep things moving, but not this much...

Can I drive over soil I placed without falling through the ground? Are they stable in a windstorm? Where do I have to place the front seat? And the list goes on regarding the issues medium and large rovers

i personally have not experienced all that many issues with rovers, sure i've seen what can happen and have lost one or two rover chains in the 100+ hours i've spent on the game, but really they are functional (especially with the new update, worst i've seen was that the wheels got stuck)

opinions are like butt holes everybody has one

that's amazing :P

The point you are making that you have more than I do makes you A) superior B) you opinion on time more valuable than mine C) what seems to you to be simple fact is yet again just your opinion on the subject

i honestly tried my best not to target anyone in particular, i apologize if it seemed like i was hating on you

SES decided to make a round game not me. Did they ask me? Did they ask you?

no, they did not, they also did not force you to buy/play the game 

To me the connection is crystal clear. It is like you purchased a F1 game and the steering wheel pedal combo has no brake pedal. Sure you can go forward but you can't stop. I would be upset about that. Apparently you would be perfectly fine with that

but Astroneer is not an F1 racing game, it's a space-exploration game that could go without rovers and still be awesome, in fact I personally feel as though rovers, while adding much to the game, take away a few key aspects that i always liked, like the "limited" feel you have where you cannot travel anywhere you haven't tethered to. 

im not fine with a game missing a primary function making it unplayable, but i am ok with a game missing some optional features to make an optional function work flawlessly, i wont leave the game over that.

I see you have your opinion and because of that I too should feel that way

you are kinda taking this personally, i just that maybe, just maybe, there are enough people out there complaining at everything that maybe some people can go on break?

also, like uncle blob says... "nobody likes to be around a complainer!"

i don't mean to sound as though i am insulting you specifically, i am just trying to offer another point of view that is perhaps a little more forgiving to SES and everyone else 

If you don't like to read what is posted....don't. Just hover your mouse over my name and select the ignore option!

same goes for you concerning rover issues, you cant go through life getting hung up on one issue that it ruins your entire outlook on that whole object, just because SES flunked the rover mechanics for a good while doesn't mean that the entire game gets an F (if that is not how you feel, it is certainly how you came across as)

all in all, i'm just sick of all the complaining done by not just you, but everyone out there, its just really unnecessary as SES has fixed a good majority of those issues and clearly care about their game

in other news...

1 hour ago, Martin said:

In a Crate!! Awesome idea.. Can stick it on a ship, fly to planet, unfold into buggy, slap on a battery and solar.. off you go exploring!!

Or stick a magnet on it's roof, drive next to large spaceship, with a similar magnet on the side of it, jump out, push a button on ship, buggy is magnetised to the ship and on planet.. push button off and explore.. Yeh.. I could go for that!

yes! that's exactly what I was thinking! the crate part that is but wow a magnet would be sweet in more ways than one... like imagine attaching large platforms of storage onto a rover! they already hold themselves on pretty well.

there really should be a way to transport rovers easily to other planets

Ah yes the topic of complaining. 

If I purchased a car that did not have air conditioning and I went to turn it on and got pissed that it did not turn on, well then that is on me. 
If I purchased a car that did have air conditioning and I went to turn it on and it did not work I would have every right to be pissed.

I purchased a game that has a large rover in it. It does not work properly. It does not work as designed. It does not work as intended. 
I purchased a game that has a medium rover in it. It does not work properly. It does not work as designed. It does not work as intended.
I purchased a game that has a scout rover in it. It does work properly. It does work as designed. It does work as intended.

I've not made a single complaint about the scout rover. 

I love the people at SES. I think they are all wonderful. I have always said that and always will. It is not personal. 

What I'm asking for is in no way shape or form; asking for too much. I purchased the air conditioner, SES installed it, however after a year and a half I'm still sweating my ba!!s off!

16 hours ago, shadowcrafter01 said:

no, they did not, they also did not force you to buy/play the game 

My point was:
According to you the game is hard to make and it is because of round planets and gravity. To that I say; not my decision. SES did not come to me and ask; we can make a game on a round planet but the medium and large rovers will never work (according to you), or we can build a flat world (like every other game in existence) and have the rovers work 100% regardless of their size... which would you prefer?

TBH, I can't tell that the planets I am on are round. Can you?
In a cave? In the dark? During a storm? I can't tell that the game is round. I appreciate that it is round. I love that SES is breaking new ground by having a round playing surface. That is all great. However I really can't tell that the playing surface, the planet when I am playing is round. Hell I can't tell that the earth is round when I'm outside. 

IMHO, just because the company chose to take the path never taken before by any gaming company in the history of gaming does not give them a mulligan. A get out of jail free card. No paying customer should expect anything less than what they paid for, what was advertised because the company, on its own accord chose to take the path that they did. The customer should not have to lessen their expectations. 

The rover was in the game when I purchased it and it has issues from that day (and before). I waited more than a year before I began to post my disappointment. You obviously feel that waiting a year, more than a year for a feature the company itself put into the product from day one that still does not work properly is too soon and I need to be more patient. I disagree. It is just a butthole thing. 

I don't care the company. I don't care the product they sell. If it is advertised, something I paid for, something supposed to be included... it should work. If it doesn't it should be fixed in a reasonable amount of time. I purchased the game in December 2016 (or 1/2017? Or was that just the soundtrack?). What month/year do you think it would be reasonable for me to start wondering/complaining?

23 hours ago, KeeblerOrc said:

its a vehicle, there is a module called vehicle bay... it doesn't make more sense like it is now?

we'll never see this topic in the same way, I just hope SES knows that no matter what they do they cannot please everyone, whether it be the matter of the functionality of rovers as we have been discussing here, or something else that you may love and I may despise.

15 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I can't tell that the planets I am on are round. Can you?

cant help but present some evidence i have discovered :P so I use the flatten tool on my habitat's cement-ish area (which is generated perfectly flat) and used the same level over a long distance and it was pretty quickly going from flat to a visibly sharp angle off the ground

also when traveling, mountains seem to rise up from the horizon

when the chair glitch was easy... I would fly about and around the planet

and once on barren i drove a medium rover in one direction and later ended up back home

there is a center of the planet (i've dug to it) and that alone should mean its round

idk, i'm pretty convinced that it is a physically round generation of whatever you call those angles that are not blocks that you play on, pretty sweet 

but anyhow I do think that we shouldn't hijack the thread any farther than we have as others seem to be trying to converse around our chat, so (if pm is a thing here) feel free to pm me if you desire to continue, otherwise I okay with not

14 hours ago, ArthurExtreme_Br said:

its a vehicle, there is a module called vehicle bay... it doesn't make more sense like it is now?

true, printing a vehicle from a printer wouldn't make too much sense, but retracting into a crate-ish type thing is about the same thing and desperately needed! that and a horn, so i can make beepy noises or something

Ok, I wasn't going to comment here, because the gripe in question has NOTHING to do with the actual topic at hand (which is a sarcastic take on the idea that the devs will nerf anything that is actually good, like the new Small Rover most certainly is), but I hit my limit, and just felt this needs ONCE AGAIN to be addressed...

5 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I don't care the company. I don't care the product they sell. If it is advertised, something I paid for, something supposed to be included... it should work. If it doesn't it should be fixed in a reasonable amount of time. I purchased the game in December 2016 (or 1/2017? Or was that just the soundtrack?). What month/year do you think it would be reasonable for me to start wondering/complaining?

Since you don't seem to be able to grasp the concept, I'll TRY to get you to understand...

The term 'EARLY ACCESS' means that Yes, you are  buying a game. But by purchasing that game BEFORE  it's actual release, what you are doing is supporting the Dev team's efforts to MAKE  that game by providing money FOR  that development to happen. This, by it's nature is a reflection of a belief that the game they are MAKING  will hopefully be a game you will enjoy playing.

During the development process, ALL games undergo a process where functions are added, and iterated, and if they don't turn out to work properly, or fit in with the direction the dev team ends up deciding the game should go...THEY - ARE - REMOVED - FROM - THE - GAME. That's how game development works. You throw a bunch of stuff at the game, hoping to make something people will enjoy playing, and you keep the things that 'stick' (make the game better), and you discard the things that don't.

• Here's a bit of a life lesson that if you really have a 'Touch of Grey', you should already have learned: DON'T GIVE MONEY TO PEOPLE YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT, AND WHO'S VISION YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN.
  • The quote above is one of the most ridiculous I've read in a long time... I don't care the company. Why did you give them money? I don't care the product they sell. WHY DID YOU GIVE THEM MONEY?
  • If it is advertised...(etc, etc) Please link the list of game functions, story line, tools, equipment, ships, or ANY details they have stated WILL be in the game. (good luck with that. Even THEY don't know for certain what the final game will be, since IT'S NOT DONE)
  • If it doesn't work it should be fixed in a reasonable amount of time. Since you have NO idea how games are developed, how do you determine a reasonable  amount of time? Frankly, they HAVE fixed a large number of issues in Astroneer in a reasonable amount of time, you just have no idea what a reasonable amount of time IS.
  • I purchased the game in December 2016 . Yep. You purchased the game. And when that game COMES OUT, you will have full entitlement to play that game among the first people who CAN, because you bought AN ADVANCE COPY OF THE GAME. The only difference between going to a game shop and Pre-purchasing a game that has not been released, is that YOU get the privilege of experimenting with the in-development Vertical Slice packs that normally would only be available in-house to the dev team and any hired testers.
  • What month/year do you think it would be reasonable for me to start wondering/complaining? If the game RELEASES with ADVERTISED functions not working properly, you would be perfectly within your rights to complain IMMEDIATELY. Look at the customers who bought Assassin's Creed: Unity. THEY didn't hesitate ONE MOMENT throwing an absolute FIT when the game was released as an unfinished pile of cow dung! Why should YOU have to wait? Just one problem: Astroneer HAS NOT BEEN RELEASED. What you have access to is NOT the final game. You paid TO have access to the in-process iterations during the development process. If all you wanted was a finished, and (assumably) fully functional game, you should have waited until IT WAS ACTUALLY RELEASED. THAT is what Early Access IS: Access to the various in-process iterations of a game IN-PROCESS.

Now, when the game actually releases, you have already purchased your copy OF that game, and it will be downloaded to your platform of choice once it has been released and said platform has access to the internet. This has the added benefit that if the price goes up after release, you don't have to pay the difference. You already BOUGHT the game, so you get your copy immediately.

If the final release of the game is not what you thought/hoped it was going to be, that is YOUR problem. You should have waited until the game was released, seen what functions and gameplay features ended up in the final release of the game, THEN decided if it was a game you wanted. That is the RISK (and there is most definitely a risk) of Early Access. The game may change so much during development that you would never have bought it if you'd known it would turn out that way. The game may NEVER get finished (I can't even GUESS how many times THIS has happened. Whether on Steam, Kickstarter, Indiegogo or <insert crowdfunding site of your choice>, the list of games that weren't even RELEASED in ANY playable form is insanely HUGE. That is why Steam puts the 'Early Access' tag on such games: so you KNOW that the finished game is NOT YET RELEASED, AND MAY NEVER BE  RELEASED!

So if all you want are finished games that should WORK as soon as you purchase/download them, DON'T BUY ANY GAMES MARKED 'EARLY ACCESS'. Stay out of the development process, and just add games marked that way to your 'Wish list', so that when they finally DO get released (IF they get released), you can go back and see if they are still the kind of game you want to play as well as read if they even WORK as they were supposed to. Then, all you'll have are nice, safe, finished games that have good ratings and work the way you DEMAND them to.

Oh, and if all you want to do is gripe and cry about your rights, please have the maturity to start your OWN thread about those gripes, instead of hijacking someone else's thread. That way we can just ignore your threads for the entitled, whiny rants they really are.

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2018 at 7:26 PM, KeeblerOrc said:

I had a bit of an orientation problem trying to find where the small platforms were made at - turns out the small fabricator. But the small printer only takes one resources. So it would be great if it could be printed at the printer that takes two resources ( and prints on the ground ) - I guess the medium fabricator. I think they should get rid of the small fabricator - it's items could easily be handled by the medium fab.

10 hours ago, ArthurExtreme_Br said:

I'm kind of thinking that this should just be called the large fabricator - since you have to use it to print some of the platform modules in place ( unless it has crane like reach.. I haven't tested this though ).

I like how throwing power resource nodes onto the back of the buggy will charge a small battery if it's attached. This helps tidy things up nicely. And it does well on the disposable power packs as well. Very energy efficient with addons in place.

Edited by ThePlumGate

5 hours ago, Gray Mouser said:

Ok,

TLDR;
After a year and six months the term early access is still viable? No it is not! Come on now let's get real. 18 months after release and I'm still playing an early access version? No, I'm not.

We need to get out of this endless rut of not reading, not understanding, overruling each others' opinions, making just silly comments and learn to discuss.  

Myself incl.  There's alot of very valid points being made on this thread.  Just try to keep it sane please. Stick to the facts, either as your or someone elses opinion and stay out of the ruts.

18 hours ago, shadowcrafter01 said:

it's a space-exploration game that could go without rovers and still be awesome, in fact I personally feel as though rovers, while adding much to the game, take away a few key aspects that i always liked, like the "limited" feel you have where you cannot travel anywhere you haven't tethered to.

Sorry, but I fully disagree with your statement. Rovers are an undeniably integral part of the game. To say otherwise is just silly. It allows your Astroneer to have the freedom to travel long distances without having to be tethered and without dying mid way. It allows you to bring back multiple cargo items without having to go on foot in multiple round trips. Can you imagine how long would it take to unlock anything if you had to carry every single research pod one by one on foot? No, it would not be a good game if I had to haul everything on foot. This is a space exploration game, not a space marathon simulator.

Rovers are not optional. Rovers are a necessity.