survival

has been a big discussion, with many ideas being kicked around about food, water, and enimies, but I for one am opposed to this idea.

i just wanted to start a thread to talk with people about the reasons they want no survival mechanics.

i think that the fact that there is no survival aspect in the game is the best part of it, because of how open-ended the game is now. The ability to mess around all day (in game) in astroneer has no negative reprecussions  because there is no obligations. In fact, you’ll probably get some laughs in. Try this stunt in Minecraft, ARK, or other “realistic” survival games and you’ll end up as fish meat because there are certain things the game forces you to do. This is what I would hope the game would avoid.

thanks for letting me steal a minute from you, Astrofun.

Don't worry! The devs aren't making a survival game. We need power to keep the lights on, and air because we're in space. The people who want us to waste time eating when we could be building a roller-coaster or levelling a mountain are missing the point! 

So true. Thx for awnsering.

14 hours ago, Blind Io said:

Don't worry! The devs aren't making a survival game. We need power to keep the lights on, and air because we're in space. The people who want us to waste time eating when we could be building a roller-coaster or levelling a mountain are missing the point! 

So true

The game is based on exploration rather than survival.
There may or may not be different modes in the future, so you'll probably be able to choose from creative mode up to hardcore survival and anything in between, whatever you like more.

+1

I do not have any problems with a survival mode, but this is not the type of game that we want to put to waste by adding survival aspects to it. The same goes with No Man's Sky. CohhCarnage said that he plays No Man's Sky to explore, not survive. Exploration games are simply not meant for survival.

For me, I see the game style of Astroneer plotted on a venn diagram with "Exploration" in one circle and "Survival" in another intersecting circle.  Astroneer lies somewhere within the intersection, but definitely more towards the "Explore" side.   Minecraft would be more towards the "Survival" side. 

I like the Explore aspect of Astroneer, but it's also fun having some survival aspects, and I am reverent of my mortality with every tether I lay down, or every time go exploring deep holes in dark caves, or a storm whips up and I am in the middle of nowhere.

Personally I love the idea of more survival aspects. For me in a game such things add difficulty/challenge, which I find entertaining and satisfying. I especially love the part where you start with almost nothing. Struggling to get the bare essentials to survive before you can set up a solid base. And then you go to a different planet and do it all over again ;) Like OP mentioned, there is quite a few posts and ideas about how to do this.

An important point to make though, is that It should not be mandatory. I too like to option to be able to not always worry(more than we already do) about such aspects. And I'm pretty sure a large portion of the playerbase feels the same way. And as such, I really wouldn't worry.

If more survival aspects are added down the line, I really can't imagine anything short of a selection for difficulty level upon starting a new game, as commonly seen in survival games currently available. It is good, it is simple and it works great.

15 hours ago, Hermann said:

Personally I love the idea of more survival aspects. For me in a game such things add difficulty/challenge, which I find entertaining and satisfying. I especially love the part where you start with almost nothing. Struggling to get the bare essentials to survive before you can set up a solid base. And then you go to a different planet and do it all over again ;) Like OP mentioned, there is quite a few posts and ideas about how to do this.

An important point to make though, is that It should not be mandatory. I too like to option to be able to not always worry(more than we already do) about such aspects. And I'm pretty sure a large portion of the playerbase feels the same way. And as such, I really wouldn't worry.

If more survival aspects are added down the line, I really can't imagine anything short of a selection for difficulty level upon starting a new game, as commonly seen in survival games currently available. It is good, it is simple and it works great.

Idk, I think that the fun of astroneer is really the lack of necessity of duties. It is your choice what to do, beyond oxygen.