Eyce

Transportation and Specialty Platforms

Okay, so I've not been able to play the game due to my computer's lacking capabilities, but I have been watching a good bit of content from You-tube. Though it may be controversial, I think a MagLev ( Magnetic Levitation or Monorails ) transportation system would be an interesting concept. Here's my idea; you must create a station platform a bit larger than the current ones within the game. Titanium and Copper would be the most used pieces as the single-rail system would require the strength and conductivity to work. Now, the train itself will consist of a 3 piece going as in order; Train-Cargo Car-Train. This system would be a double header, so it can shuttle back and forth from one station to another. Also, the cargo car would consist of 8 storage slots on either side. The railing would have a set distance to cover such like 50 meters and would require 3 titanium and 1 copper for every segment. This shuttle system would work well for short mining trips, but it would require a LOT of power. This is where specialized platforms would come into play. So far, and to my knowledge, there is only 2 style of platforms in the game. One is a basic connector and the other is module bays. I feel that there would be a beneficial ability to add in battery array platforms and power generation platforms; and yet also specialty storage platforms for more trade and base supply. This would allow for more complex base designs and a more integral progression of the game. Another thing to be noted is that these platforms would take up more of the high tier metals such as Titanium as well, making trade and mining an important factor for expansion. Sadly, I do not have the sketch-up files that I wanted to put in here, they will hopefully be added at a later time.

I love the idea of specialty platforms since my bases always end up unorganised and I just tend to have batteries and solar panel platforms everywhere. Obviously it's not that much of a problem but it bugs me quite a lot lmao. Your ideas on rail and transportation are very interesting too. I really like the idea of some sort of place to place movement of resources as it could eventually introduce some kind of automation aspect to the game.

Also, for your performance issues, try and put the game into windowed mode then resize the window making it considerably small. This increases the framerate quite a lot for me. Great thread too:)

37 minutes ago, Embrace平 said:

I love the idea of specialty platforms since my bases always end up unorganised and I just tend to have batteries and solar panel platforms everywhere. Obviously it's not that much of a problem but it bugs me quite a lot lmao. Your ideas on rail and transportation are very interesting too. I really like the idea of some sort of place to place movement of resources as it could eventually introduce some kind of automation aspect to the game.

Also, for your performance issues, try and put the game into windowed mode then resize the window making it considerably small. This increases the framerate quite a lot for me. Great thread too:)

I'm actually just using a regular desktop, in the process of building a gaming one for this game. I also feel glad that I'm not the only one that has kinda spotted that issue with most bases being made.

Agreed. I would even go so far as having the abilityt to automate research would be fantastic.

I would love to see something I can have run along the tethers to bring supplies back either to base camp or a vehicle.

Just to add on to what everybody is saying, love the ideas btw, would be nice to have just one big storage platform. maybe just one platform with empty nodes for storage tables to lay on, say, 3 or 4 per platform? would be nice for all the random extra resources I don't know what to do with. its a pain to lay the storage out somewhere possibly having to move stuff around just to lay it out, then load it up with stuff, and move back. would just help for the extra organized/OCD gamers like myself lol. But to add on to the supplies being brought back to base, maybe like a little trolly cart that rides the tops of tethers then dumps whats in/on at the end. maybe ability to request the cart at each tether?

Now, in the original thread I had stated that there's going to be a 3 train system, mostly meant for transporting material too and from different places. The train itself is to have a more industrial look on purpose, as is the cargo wagon. This is a more boxed shape and overall un-streamlined look of the vehicle itself. This is a basic concept idea and is made this way to be a generic template for the train itself. Now. As stated in the original thread I intended the cargo wagon to be 8 slots on either side, but looking at it more made me ramp that up to 10 on either side, giving 20 cargo spots in total. Though different from my original thought, The fronts of the trains have been flattened out to give the player an option of 1 or 3 seat configurations with the locomotives themselves. This is a basic template, so if it does make it into the game, it will probably vary greatly.Maglev.jpg

39 minutes ago, Eyce said:

Maglev.jpg

hmm... yeah that could be nice, able to "plonk" down a chair or something else and maybe use those big squares as storage containers (they open to fold out so you can put big objects inside it) also having a similar storage object put between them.

On 12/24/2016 at 11:14 AM, Freddy said:

hmm... yeah that could be nice, able to "plonk" down a chair or something else and maybe use those big squares as storage containers (they open to fold out so you can put big objects inside it) also having a similar storage object put between them.

( I'm replacing my comp soon so I don't have Sketchup installed )  So I suppose you mean by taking the big blocks of the locomotives off and replace it with more of a 2 or 3 place spot for a total of 6 research placements before transport.

On 1/10/2017 at 0:39 AM, PilotChan said:

Theres actually already a thread on this and some of the admin/devs are talking about it.

https://forum.systemera.net/topic/8625-tether-based-transportation/

I knew about this already, and had that in mind with when I came up with this transport. It's a MagLev, it's supposed to be built with rail pieces so you have to trade or mine to make it. The whole purpose of this transport is to use those "end game" materials like Titanium and Lithium instead of having them stockpile all over one's base