SES_joe

The Rover Update - May 8th, 2018

7 minutes ago, pbartbar said:

If you are using a controller pick it up and use the your left or right buttons to rotate it. I am not sure what buttons to use if you are using a keyboard.

Thanks for this. It fixed both my issues. The headlights are now forward facing and when I exit I end up at the front right of the rover and not under it. Thanks for this. I never thought of it as they never needed rotating before.

I think I might have to start adding a seat to the last truck in my land trains to make reversing a bit easier. 

With the new control method I keep jack-knifing and getting really jammed up.

The power reserves on the large rovers was seriously cut hard. Mine runs for about 4 seconds before its out of power. Now if you link 3 of them together and with 2 medium batteries, 8 solar panels, 8 windmills and picking up every patch of power I can find, I can manage to get it about anywhere I need it to go, and it does climb hills better than it did which is wonderful. The buggy is a well a bit buggy yet. It flips on me really easy, once its on its top I have to dig under it to get it to flip over. Fun to drive and easy to explore in as long as you take it easy in it. I'm sure its the lower gravity planet I am on as well playing with its stability. 

Overall, great patch thank you!

3 hours ago, KungFuStu72 said:

I think I might have to start adding a seat to the last truck in my land trains to make reversing a bit easier. 

With the new control method I keep jack-knifing and getting really jammed up.

That's a good idea.

4 hours ago, pbartbar said:

...  I am not sure what buttons to use if you are using a keyboard.

The Z and X keys rotate items.

On 5/9/2018 at 2:59 PM, Rebelord said:

Multiple questions

1. Can mini rover be plugged into base

2. Does thruster have more then one use of attaching to rover

3. Does thruster require fuel of some sort

4. Can i attach to mini rover

5. How do i turn on

6. Can i run my friends over with the extra thruster Boost???? This is a very important and serious question

1. No, it's what I tried to do at the beginning

2. I did not understand the question

3. The same for the space ships

4. No, sorry

5. It turns on with the "z" or "x" key, I do not remember at this time.

I just tried to help you.

Tripped on a Astro Doll and found one of those new discoveries "research item" that were mentioned on the roadmap. Opened it and got 339 bytes. So I found another one and stuck it on the research chamber to see if it would give me more bytes but hence not. ? It would be neat if you could research them on the chamber to get more bytes  rather than opening them for instant gratification.

J2WujFz.png

1 hour ago, Mak-a-Face said:

Tripped on a Astro Doll and found one of those new discoveries "research item" that were mentioned on the roadmap. Opened it and got 339 bytes. So I found another one and stuck it on the research chamber to see if it would give me more bytes but hence not. ? It would be neat if you could research them on the chamber to get more bytes  rather than opening them for instant gratification.

J2WujFz.png

It's the fastest way to earn a bytes :), so I have no problem with that. Cheers

On 5/10/2018 at 12:57 AM, Wyvyrias said:
On 5/9/2018 at 11:49 PM, Bron said:

i would agree. which makes the decision to make the game harder by making those internal batteries so weak as to be almost ineffective even stranger. just get rid of them.

They're trying to find a nice balance.
Read through the replies here, one user absolutely isn't happy with batteries being weaker while you suggest to get rid of them entirely. This is the issue about finding a balance that everyone is fine with. It's not a hardcore survival game, so there's no point in making it THAT difficult, but it's also still a family friendly exploration game for everyone, so basic things should be easy enough. 

i understand this.

to clarify, it's because the new built-in battery drains so fast that i suggest it's taken out altogether.

let's face it. look at the space on the buggy design the in-built battery takes. now, imagine that space taken up with a couple extra single sockets. more useful, no? more so with the larger vehicles - maybe four single sockets in a row each side.

adding a floating message when the buggy is built saying 'add power source' would sort out the confused players. my experience is that, by the time a player gets to the point of building vehicles, they have already made a small generator, collected power nuggets, salvaged lithium off a space wreck, researched batteries and taken at least one single battery off a dead astroneer, all of which could power a buggy, as well as small solar and wind working fine during sunshine/windy times.

none of that seems unfriendly, nor does it restrict exploration particularly. if you're concerned about it turning into a hardcore survival game, i would argue that the current, less flexible underpowered inbuilt battery option is more hardcore than allowing the player to load as few, or as many power sources as they can onto their vehicles.

On 5/8/2018 at 10:22 PM, Wyvyrias said:

I do not think they're missing the point. The point has been explained. The small rover is for scouting around, anything larger should require some maintenance to be able to move. They were already annoyingly easy to power. Though I think one small generator still would do the job. Either way, the rovers are coming with in-built batteries despite not needing lithium to be build. IMO they shouldn't have any batteries at all unless equipped with one.

actually, making more energy to them it's already a boring thing. that would "be better" then. Perhaps a good idea, if u're not creating new games seriously.

that kind of thing was late, but useful.

7 hours ago, Archiel Arrofo said:

It's the fastest way to earn a bytes :), so I have no problem with that. Cheers

That's debatable because I've only found four so far and most of them didn't give me much for bytes except the last one. Not all Astro dolls have them, it seems to be very random.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mak-a-Face said:

That's debatable because I've only found four so far and most of them didn't give me much for bytes except the last one. Not all Astro dolls have them, it seems to be very random.

Probably yes, it's random. So let's keep on exploring :)

Edited by Archiel Arrofo
change word

On 5/9/2018 at 6:49 PM, Bron said:

i would agree. which makes the decision to make the game harder by making those internal batteries so weak as to be almost ineffective even stranger. just get rid of them.

No thanks. As rovers are the cornerstone of the game when playing, it would make the game more of an energy management game than an exploration and mining game in my opinion. I'm sure most people would think the same.

I am also sure the previous settings for the built-in batteries of the medium/large rover pleased most people. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

39 minutes ago, Motus said:

I am also sure the previous settings for the built-in batteries of the medium/large rover pleased most people. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yeh I'd agree with this.  There comes a point when, the frustration of playing a game simply equates to, play someone elses game.  And Astroneer is gonna go this route if they do this on purpose here on out.  Game balance is one thing, but removing fun to extend timesinks.. is pointless.  As it stands a small battery+a small solar is enough to run the medium rover and a solar panel is enough for the big rover.   But if they were to continue to say remove batteries completely from the rover.. well, they'd be short one customer at least.

14 hours ago, Mak-a-Face said:

J2WujFz.png

WHAT THE HECK IS THAT AND DID I JUST HEAR FREE BYTES???????

Thank you for adding the light when using the crane at night. It makes it a heck of a lot nicer when you can actually see what you are mining.

Found this on YouTube but it's the same thing that keeps happening to me it's very annoying and game breaking to me.

Since the last update I have rovers and trains constantly falling through the ground from my base to caverns below. Getting a little tiring having to go find them and get them back up to base. Never had this problem prior to the update.

pbartbar mentioned that the crane had some lights, so I went over to tundra and gave it a try. It's great to see lights finally but it's kind of half-assed implemented. Having lights on the crane's seat only shines light in the general area where your working in. It would be more useful to have the lights directly on the crane's first joint pointing towards the crane head. This way when working straight down or straight up on the ceiling, the light would shine directly in the work area.

Z11paOl.png

7 hours ago, Mak-a-Face said:

pbartbar mentioned that the crane had some lights, so I went over to tundra and gave it a try. It's great to see lights finally but it's kind of half-assed implemented. Having lights on the crane's seat only shines light in the general area where your working in. It would be more useful to have the lights directly on the crane's first joint pointing towards the crane head. This way when working straight down or straight up on the ceiling, the light would shine directly in the work area.

Totally agree with you

Posted (edited)

Only thing I don't like is the new power requirements.  Larger vehicles should have larger batteries and handle more distance easily.  This is how the real world works.  Tiny electrics cars have a short range.  Medium electric cars have a long range.  Some makers have talked about large electric trucks with 1000 mile range.  The game is backwards from real life IMHO.

Is it me, or did the game just get darker again?  Come on guys, you are ruining the game with that stupidity.  Tedious is not fun.

OK, I think we can all call this this "buggy update" :)  Rover updates are nice, except for the battery thing, but the bugs have rendered them useless for very long because terrain issues will bury a rover quickly.  Oh well.  Thanks for the hard works SE.  Looking forward to bug fixes and clarity on "fun" in the game.

Edited by Wyvyrias
Merged posts.

Got a chance to spend some more time playing over the weekend and I have to say that these changes to the rover's batteries are kind of ridiculous. After setting up the rover to actually run on external power source (small generator) all the time, kind of pointless to even have batteries on the rovers. The large rover is getting about 15 seconds of driving time and takes 15 seconds to charge with the small generator. Kind of silly isn't it.

Turning these rovers into hybrids isn't practical for space exploration. If we had modular vehicle parts then we could choose what type of engine we'd like to use for exploration. Same with the batteries, the vehicles should have removable batteries that can be charged on a separate charging station.

Loving this update. I was fortunate enough to load into my 6.8 save and found almost no bugs at all. I started a new 7.0 world though. 

I get the functionality of the buggy, but would it be possible to add 2 single slots to the front of the rover? I would love to put lights on the front bumper. 

Also, I had an idea for extenders. i'm sure I'm not the only one but people have been extending power out long distances, I would love it if you could transport oxygen as well. I was thinking an easy way to do this would be to create a slot on top of the extenders that would only accept a tether. This might be an ocd thing but I think it would look so much nicer if the tethers could be integrated with them. Say every 2-3 extenders you could drop a tether onto of an extender. With this being said, is it ever going to be a thing where oxygen will need to be produced? Or is it safe to say that oxygen will always be generated by platforms and vehicles?

On 5/9/2018 at 7:04 AM, eagroke said:

Me too! Look at this shiny mobile research station I got here, and it always has enough power!

20180509125846_1.jpg

20180509125901_1.jpg

20180509125916_1.jpg

20180509130002_1.jpg

this is amazing! never tough of puttin the seat on front of the train

22 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

What is an Astro Doll?
Do you mean an expired/dead Astroneer? 

At first I thought they were dead Astroneers but after many hours of playing this game, I concluded there just plain dolls. When you find so many stuck in the ceiling and or walls, that's pretty much why I call them "Astro dolls".

One time, I tried to drag all the ones that I found back to the base using the winch but didn't have much luck. Damn winch acts more like a bungee cord.?