SES_joe

The Rover Update - May 8th, 2018

15 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

I do not think they're missing the point. The point has been explained. The small rover is for scouting around, anything larger should require some maintenance to be able to move. They were already annoyingly easy to power. Though I think one small generator still would do the job. Either way, the rovers are coming with in-built batteries despite not needing lithium to be build. IMO they shouldn't have any batteries at all unless equipped with one.

What was the reasoning for not requiring lithium in the rovers?

7 hours ago, eagroke said:

Me too! Look at this shiny mobile research station I got here, and it always has enough power!

20180509125846_1.jpg

20180509125901_1.jpg

20180509125916_1.jpg

20180509130002_1.jpg

Nice pics!

Nevertheless, I'm done playing this game until someone realise at Era that medium and large rovers are required for cave mining as vehicules with built-in battery autonomy as the same level that it was prior to the latest patch.

Mining in caves cannot use solar panels and it was already a pain to seek for wind drafts to charge built-in batteries, and now they are making things worse by saying medium and large rovers are not to be used primarly as vehicules but as mobile bases and so they required less built-in batteries power? This is ridiculous. Making a game less fun and less logic for the players is never a good idea.

Why do they not let the player choose to make medium/large rovers as full vehicules OR as mobile platform? I wouldn't mind putting lithium into the fabrication process of the medium/large rovers to insure "normal" batteries capacities.

I would also understand that the monster rover (which I hope they will release) whould fit per-fec-tly those who want a mobile base. It wouldn't fit the caves, so it's clear it would fit only for mobile bases use (even though the FUN to roll with the monster rover would be great. Instead to put low built-in battery power into it, they should only make it move real slow to show this is not something you move as freely as medium and large rovers).

Until they raise back the built-in batteries power to what is was before for the medium/large rovers, I will enjoy summertime and other games that try real hard to make things funnier for the players, not less ;-)

Multiple questions

1. Can mini rover be plugged into base

2. Does thruster have more then one use of attaching to rover

3. Does thruster require fuel of some sort

4. Can i attach to mini rover

5. How do i turn on

6. Can i run my friends over with the extra thruster Boost???? This is a very important and serious question

15 hours ago, Mordred478 said:

Loving the Small Rover but am not clear how you attach power to it. I mean, I have a small solar and a small wind turbine attached to its two ports, but if it's nighttime and there's no wind, you're stuck. Am I missing something?

I tried on the first planet with a wind turbine and a small generator and in the end tested the new rover for over an hour without activating the small generator!
This might be another story on another planet but I even think it is too powerful! :)

I'm finding most of my map, especially around my Base is now made up of flat square sections,  that have dropped a block or 2 down, the 'sides' of these are see through and you can see the caves below,  they get you stuck If your driving around,  they can be sorted with the terrain tool, but I'm not sure this is the same problem as in the 'known issues'

Attached video for help 

Jump to 4:25 to see what I mean I kept it on the end of the video.

Posted (edited)

My DuneBuggy is not working. I am on Radiated planet, just upgraded and used the thing. I tried Solar Panels, I used Wind, and Power Cells, it wont move AT ALL !

https://youtu.be/W6LBu3wfJMQ

System :

Steam on Asus GL552VW with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M using Windows 10 64bit Home

Edited by ETwhisperer

I like to rovers so far but just built the small rover so have not used it yet. I have two large rovers I run in a train and they work great for mining and research pickup. I currently use two slots on one large storage to hold a medium solar and a medium wind turbine. There are some minor issues I have found with my brief use today. First I noticed that the headlights on the large rover point to the side of the rover and second, is that when ever I exit the rover I appear under the back left tire of the rover. Most of the time these are not a big deal but some times it takes a few seconds to get my self out from under the rover. Also one other glitch I ran into was I flattened an area and kept falling into it but when I reloaded the game that seemed to have fixed its self.

As I was writing this, it occurred to me that the headlights are pointing to the side because that is the way the seat and astroneer is facing.

Side note, I am using an old save and these may all be fixed by starting a new save I just have not done that yet.

Love the updates and the game.

2018-05-09_LI.jpg

2018-05-09 (2).png

2018-05-09 (1).png

3 hours ago, Rebelord said:

Multiple questions

1. Can mini rover be plugged into base

2. Does thruster have more then one use of attaching to rover

3. Does thruster require fuel of some sort

4. Can i attach to mini rover

5. How do i turn on

6. Can i run my friends over with the extra thruster Boost???? This is a very important and serious question

No

Try and find out! 

Rocket fuel

Attach generators, sure 

A nice Italian meal is a good start

Outrageous. See what happens! 

just had a first play with the Rover update. here are my initial thoughts.

let me say first that I'm playing on a PC, on steam, and that i loaded up an existing game for this test, because i didn't want to spend hours base building before i gained enough credit to get a dune buggy built. so some glitches might be down to version save incompatibility.

OK, so, the steering. love it. forward is forward, as it should ever have been. love the way the POV swings round to just behind you, eventually. love the handling, although the terrain rock bumping is, as ever, massively unhelpful. will have a go at clearing a strip of ground to see if i can race - i do hope these terrain rocks don't re-spawn as they have been known to do in the past, because trying to make a racetrack will just be impossible if you cant keep it clear of obstacles.

i had one weird glitch here, which is in the control bindings. i bind my movement to the up-down-left-right arrow keys for gaming, and it's always been fine with astroneer. now, i can still do that binding, but the forward and reverse controls for the vehicles wont work. i have to still use W and S. left and right will bind to the arrow keys but the drive stays with the originals. out of the vehicle, I'm able to move my astroneer about freely with all four arrow keys. what gives?

battery life. i didn't think i would object much to the rejigged vehicle battery expenditure. seems like a reasonable thing to do. but then i got into my large rover and, WITHOUT MOVING, i just wiggled by steering left to right. after about eight wiggles i had a dead battery. and that just aint right. i've heard of power steering, but that is a phenomenal drain of power! so, yeah, i get the need to make power more of an issue, but no, your new drainage system is not fit for purpose. patch please!

then again, you could always put extra batteries on board. whilst the usage from the on-board battery is like water down a drain, it seems the other batteries haven't been adjusted to match. i get more drive out of just one bar of a regular two slot battery than i do my reworked internal cell.. i figure you could pitch this rate up and the on-board rate down substantially and you have a working system. also, glitch time: the (rather clank-y) sound of the motor on the vehicles cuts out when the on-board battery dies, even if there's an extra power source in use. they keep working, but the motor has clearly done that 'death by power drain' noise already.

the dune buggy is fun, but really that's all. it cant be used for any real exploring, it lacks enough mobility to make it a true racer, it cant carry much at all. I'm not saying it doesn't work well enough for what it is, but it could be more fun and more funky. heres a few suggestions.

1) make it carryable. if it cant carry, then it should be carryable. remove the usual vehicle mechanic of flip over for wipe-outs, and replace it with a simple pick up option, like platforms. also, add a control to 'fold' it, possibly in half, a movement that will expose a double plug for mounting onto any double socket. in this, you can have an outrigger, a vehicle you can unpack and jet about your location scoping the area. it can be loaded onto other wheeled vehicles, platforms, shuttles. you could even make it so light it will get blown away in a storm - but that wouldn't matter because you should 'store' it when not in use. if you keep the resource cost low, you could even make it trashable.

2) single sockets only, guys. this thing has two single sockets and a double socket, which is clearly for a basic seat. but this seems rather pointless, particularly given that you cant link this thing up and use it as a land train section. just integrate a seat when built, and give it, say, four single sockets. enough for some proper versatility in it's function, if not it's usefulness.

3) batteries not included. in fact, this really goes for all the vehicles. if no lithium was used in the construction, then no battery should be present. i would say, run this baby on a single socket battery instead, you get more range and (apparently) it's much quieter. add batteries to gain more range. that makes more sense to me than constantly tweaking the on board battery life to make power more of a challenge - you want range, you add more batteries.

4) old modules with new rules. come on, this playful little buggy is an ideal opportunity to experiment with more customization, modular design. single socket stuff might actually be useful for a change. for example, if you make the vehicle trashable, you could make it reinforce-able by simply adding aluminum blocks onto the sockets - each one will break down as the buggy gets bashed about, until it is consumed totally. perhaps a similar mechanism would work with vehicle handling - copper could be used to increase the electrical systems ability to respond to commands, making the vehicle less sluggish and better over terrain obstacles. the copper would break down the more steering you do. want to make your buggy speedier? then add the organic power generator - instead of transferring power to a battery for the duration, here it could act like a kind of supercharger, increasing the maximum speed by 20% for the duration of the organic 'fuel'. there are so many creative possibilities! and with four sockets, the astroneer can build for speed, performance or robustness, or a mix of all three.

the dune buggy is a great little idea, but it could be so much more. it's becoming something of a truism for astroneer, in fact, that feature-richness is lacking in the implementation of much that is great. perhaps because of a desire to hold back on such feature-richness for the final retail version. whilst i can understand that, i feel i have to say - when you throw us early adopters a bone, you might check to see if it has any meat on it first, guys.

5 hours ago, jbarth09 said:

I'd say to make the game easier and more streamlined.

14 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:
6 hours ago, jbarth09 said:

I'd say to make the game easier and more streamlined.

i would agree. which makes the decision to make the game harder by making those internal batteries so weak as to be almost ineffective even stranger. just get rid of them.

1 hour ago, Bron said:

i would agree. which makes the decision to make the game harder by making those internal batteries so weak as to be almost ineffective even stranger. just get rid of them.

They're trying to find a nice balance.
Read through the replies here, one user absolutely isn't happy with batteries being weaker while you suggest to get rid of them entirely. This is the issue about finding a balance that everyone is fine with. It's not a hardcore survival game, so there's no point in making it THAT difficult, but it's also still a family friendly exploration game for everyone, so basic things should be easy enough.

Posted (edited)

HELP. HOW CAN I USE the function of extrude the ground (if it still exists), I like to fill in the gaps I made previously when deforming the ground and I also need it to finish a sculpture I was working on.
Could the z / x keys be used for this function?

58691129_2018-04-3001_15_54-Greenshot.thumb.png.98408775a275e43b12162840f5b20a6b.png1478115805_2018-04-3001_15_47-Greenshot.thumb.png.46f9f4af998720a6d58e7832fbb04c96.png1478115805_2018-04-3001_15_47-Greenshot.thumb.png.46f9f4af998720a6d58e7832fbb04c96.png

It's funny (and annoying), I have problems with the colicion of the floor, often the objects are attached to a certain depth of the floor and occasionally reach the underground caverns (that happened to my serrated cabin, I have not seen it again).

Sometimes I take a work light (or other object) but it does not reach my backpack (to the empty ports), I go down to the caverns and that is just below the surface where I lost them.

* Today I made a train of transport of resources installing a medium battery and a medium solar panel, at the time of driving it, I undied on the ground and ended up stuck in the wall of a cave that I did not know, I dug until it was free and it took me almost 30 minutes go back to the surface.

I would like the mini rover to have 2 ports connected to pick up an "X" object on the way. "Bero that would allow to carry a battery or a medium storage" I do not see the difference, it does not consume energy so fast and the backpack is enough for it.

22 hours ago, eagroke said:

20180509125901_1.jpg

(laugh), I think you exaggerate a bit with energy.
I also do the same, but only for transportation of objects, I like to drive to the base.

Edited by max_lancer2018

4 hours ago, max_lancer2018 said:

HELP. HOW CAN I USE the function of extrude the ground (if it still exists)

Make a canister, and then alt/ctrl with your tool

On 5/9/2018 at 4:34 AM, Mordred478 said:

Loving the Small Rover but am not clear how you attach power to it. I mean, I have a small solar and a small wind turbine attached to its two ports, but if it's nighttime and there's no wind, you're stuck. Am I missing something?

Use a small generator with organic, the charge rate is very fast giving you at least 5-6 recharges before you exhaust your organic pod. Thst and the energy usage on the small rover is really low allowing much further travel and longevity of an exploration before any recharge is needed.

13 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

They're trying to find a nice balance.
Read through the replies here, one user absolutely isn't happy with batteries being weaker while you suggest to get rid of them entirely. This is the issue about finding a balance that everyone is fine with. It's not a hardcore survival game, so there's no point in making it THAT difficult, but it's also still a family friendly exploration game for everyone, so basic things should be easy enough. 

If this is all about finding a balance, they seem to be going from one extreme to another. The new buggy's battery gives you a ridiculous amount of driving time but only requires a seconds to charge with a small generator. Then you have the large rover that will go about hundred yards, not even and take just about 30 seconds to charge.

Well, My rovers won't even work. I get in and can steer but they will not move. None of them will move.

22 minutes ago, pbartbar said:

Well, My rovers won't even work. I get in and can steer but they will not move. None of them will move.

Well, I built a brand new large rover and it won't move either. Anyone else having this problem? Really don't feel like starting over for this kind of crud.

9 minutes ago, pbartbar said:

Well, I built a brand new large rover and it won't move either. Anyone else having this problem? Really don't feel like starting over for this kind of crud.

HAHAHAHAHA! Figured it out. The use of the controller has changed completely. Now have to use the right trigger button to make the rover move. The left joystick is for steering only. I suppose they had to do that to make the steering changes they made to the game.

1 minute ago, pbartbar said:

HAHAHAHAHA! Figured it out. The use of the controller has changed completely. Now have to use the right trigger button to make the rover move. The left joystick is for steering only. I suppose they had to do that to make the steering changes they made to the game.

The right trigger button is for going forward and the left trigger button is for going backwards. Kind of messed up and will take some time to get used to.

I'm not liking the fact that on the large rover I'm sitting "side-saddle" all the time.  Has anyone worked out a decent way to mount the "Open 1 seat" so it faces the direction of travel?

Hey, do the vehicles have access to shift key? Or, whatever key is used for making the astroneer run?
Is that already in use? Because otherwise, you could have *two* buttons for activating stuff on the rovers.

Ok. I just had an entire train disappear right in front of me. It started sinking from the back and eventually the entire thing was gone. I tried digging down to see if I could find it but nothing. A large rover with three large trailers full of medium storage and canisters for mining soil gone. What kind of BS is this? Not a hilarious glitch.

14 minutes ago, KungFuStu72 said:

I'm not liking the fact that on the large rover I'm sitting "side-saddle" all the time.  Has anyone worked out a decent way to mount the "Open 1 seat" so it faces the direction of travel?

If you are using a controller pick it up and use the your left or right buttons to rotate it. I am not sure what buttons to use if you are using a keyboard.

2 minutes ago, pbartbar said:

If you are using a controller pick it up and use the your left or right buttons to rotate it. I am not sure what buttons to use if you are using a keyboard.

Yay, forward facing travel!  The universe is back in alignment, thank you. ?