Portals or Stargates, Anyone?

Papa D

I would like to see Portals worked in the game. They would look similar to "Stargate"portals, and you could set them up near your bases on multiple planets and you could teleport back and forth more easily then traveling with ships. Of course you would first travel to the planets to place them. If the developers could program them so you would instantly pop to other portals without a load screen would make it all the more effective. I imagine them looking like stargate portals, with arrow selection like the printer has. You would choose for which portal you want to travel to. Maybe they would require crystals that you must find throughout the planets to operate (This would give players who already have everything unlocked something to search for.)

Also I imagine finding ancient portals on planets that you might find, and it would teleport you to some random planets once you found crystals to use them.

Perhaps it would need balancing, though; a cooldown or massive power drain. Astroneer is a  game about having many equal routes to the same goal (i.e. trade platform vs. resource extractor). 

I do believe teleporters are op but if it were in a ancient temple buried beneath the sands of time that requires a LOT of resources to build and use i think it would be very cool

I like it, cool idea, but I don't think the technology level currently portrayed in the game has reached that level of sophistication yet.

Maybe, if later on we could interact with other advanced sentient cultures or explore ancient ruins and acquire portal technology through trade or discovery, it would be great...

I would do it like this. On every planet have a couple ancient ruins with teleporters. These could be hooked up to a power slot, and when you put in a (full) large battery, it would open. You could see all of the other portals on that world.  when you put in the battery it would be a two way ticket, so it would turn on once immediatly when you put the battery and once when you pressed the “return” button. It could also, before you teleported, act like a window so you know where your going

9 hours ago, Astrofun said:

I would do it like this. On every planet have a couple ancient ruins with teleporters. These could be hooked up to a power slot, and when you put in a (full) large battery, it would open. You could see all of the other portals on that world.  when you put in the battery it would be a two way ticket, so it would turn on once immediatly when you put the battery and once when you pressed the “return” button. It could also, before you teleported, act like a window so you know where your going

Oh, yes...

To make it more interesting once we found the ruins, there should be ancient research items that we need to find which, once done, would allow us to create interfaces to connect our power sources to theirs. Maybe make the zebra balls be THOSE ancient research items...

I would also make the portals/gates large enough to drive a fully-loaded large rover through them.

1 hour ago, vvhorus said:

Oh, yes...

To make it more interesting once we found the ruins, there should be ancient research items that we need to find which, once done, would allow us to create interfaces to connect our power sources to theirs. Maybe make the zebra balls be THOSE ancient research items...

I would also make the portals/gates large enough to drive a fully-loaded large rover through them.

This last sentence is imperative because once you are on the other side, you don’t want to be stuck with no oxygen.

Okay so i feel like this is where we got with this so far

As you are exploring the world you may find ancient ruins around the world most containing some sort of ancient research needed to repair the teleported that is only on 1 ruin. It would be a hard project (most likely using astronium) and lots of other rare resources but once you build it you can turn it on and when its on you can walk threw (or drove threw if you want to bring a rover) and you’ll end up in a teleported Hub where you only have access to the teleporters you have unlocked and you can see threw. Of course this entire process would have to be a bit like a riddle to fully build the machine that changes every time to prevent people from just cloning the resources all the time. Of course there would have to be a new style with the ruins sharply contrasting against what the players tech looks like