Grub

Excited to see this game make it to PS4 and Switch!

I wanted to sign up to show my support for consoles and keep up to date with news about the game, so here I am. :)

I have been checking in on Astroneer since I saw it at PAX West. It looks like a fun game to play, but I no longer game on PC much, so I won't be buying it on Steam. Having both a PS4 and Switch I really hope to see a local split-screen version someday!

9 hours ago, Martin said:

Forgive my ignorance.. what the spacesnail is a switch?

This fellow is referring to a Nintendo switch 

56 minutes ago, Martin said:

Ah I see.. another xboxy console thing for £300-£400. 

I am I surprised you haven’t heard of a Nintendo switch? From the beginning when Astroneer came out I have always thought that a Nintendo switch would be a perfect console to release on, following PC and Xbox one. It would give users the ability to take their base building on the go even further and also give the game more advertising by not being played in the comfort of ones home. 

I'm not.

The extra QA involved in getting updates out to consoles encourages devs to develop 'patch paralysis', where they put off releasing fixes promptly.   Instead they bundle everything together into as few patches as possible, to avoid having to go through each console's certification process.  That means that when bugs do get found (because it takes a lot of work to find them in house, with limited resources, compared to crowdsourced testing, releasing it to thousands of players), it takes much longer for them to get fixed.

Warframe has the right idea about how to support multiple platforms, where only some have very stringent quality requirements.  They release first on PC, where they are free to release partly tested features, and benefit from having thousands of players test them further, and then follow up with several quick patches deal with bugs.  Later on, the consoles get the same features, plus all of the hotfixes, rolled into bigger, less frequent, but more stable updates.

Test early, test often.  Patch early, patch often.  That's how you make sure your product spends as little time as possible with game-breaking bugs in it.  In small studios that can't afford to hire huge QA departments, your best option is to have players help with testing, and act on their feedback promptly, instead of leaving them waiting for you to get around to it, at some point in the distant future, at which point they've decided you weren't listening, and they were wasting their time giving that feedback in the first place.

It's a matter of respect.  You don't ask for feedback that's going to go ignored for months on end.

Edited by polarity

4 hours ago, polarity said:

I'm not.

The extra QA involved in getting updates out to consoles encourages devs to develop 'patch paralysis', where they put off releasing fixes promptly.   Instead they bundle everything together into as few patches as possible, to avoid having to go through each console's certification process.  That means that when bugs do get found (because it takes a lot of work to find them in house, with limited resources, compared to crowdsourced testing, releasing it to thousands of players), it takes much longer for them to get fixed.

Warframe has the right idea about how to support multiple platforms, where only some have very stringent quality requirements.  They release first on PC, where they are free to release partly tested features, and benefit from having thousands of players test them further, and then follow up with several quick patches deal with bugs.  Later on, the consoles get the same features, plus all of the hotfixes, rolled into bigger, less frequent, but more stable updates.

Test early, test often.  Patch early, patch often.  That's how you make sure your product spends as little time as possible with game-breaking bugs in it.  In small studios that can't afford to hire huge QA departments, your best option is to have players help with testing, and act on their feedback promptly, instead of leaving them waiting for you to get around to it, at some point in the distant future, at which point they've decided you weren't listening, and they were wasting their time giving that feedback in the first place.

It's a matter of respect.  You don't ask for feedback that's going to go ignored for months on end.

My apologies, I meant to say at first I was excited for this game to be released on other platforms when the game is in its final state 

Agree with polarity.

As for console, I don't really pay much attention to them, my son keeps telling me he wants an xbox then a ps4 then a new pc then a new tv then a pug.. and so on.. so I just tend to ignore it all.  Unless I wants it.. I ain't really interested.  My wallet, My Dreams.

2 hours ago, Antonino said:

Hi,

still nothing, release date for PS4?

Sony has no Early Access platform and there are currently no plans for a PS4 version either.

4 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

Sony has no Early Access platform

Hi, I have read in a old post, that Fortnite is in Early Access.

Why doesn’t Sony approve for this game?

1 hour ago, Antonino said:

Hi, I have read in a old post, that Fortnite is in Early Access.

Why doesn’t Sony approve for this game?

It's likely all about money and marketing. There is no official Early Access program. Sony seems to have interest in extremely popular games that will contribute to their market, even if they're still "Early Access". Fortnite as well as ARK appear to be one of those. To get those games onto their platform, they easily can bend their own rules.

On 6/3/2018 at 9:38 AM, Wyvyrias said:

Sony has no Early Access platform and there are currently no plans for a PS4 version either.

I heard (I believe in one of the very early streams, way back in 2017) Astroneer would be on PS4 (or who knows what Sony console it might be when Astroneer is completed, guess we’ll just wait and see) but my point is the Devs, Adam, can’t remember who exactly but I’m pretty sure it was mentioned Astroneer would come to PS4/Sony console eventually. No plans right now of course, it wouldn’t be prudent to even think about such things. The game needs to be completed, the team needs to focus. I have no issue with any of that. But unless you know something different, or the Devs have stated something else somewhere, I’m not aware of there being any plan to NOT develop Astroneer for PS4/Sony. Afaik, Astroneer will eventually (time and resources permitting of course, so it’s not a “promise” but there’s hope of course) come to MacOS, and a Linux version will be made available as well. Not trying to be argumentative here, and I’m not sure if you were only referring to the lack of general Early Access program for Sony (which I agree, is only a highly selective “pick and choose the best money makers” model right now, unfortunate but gaming is a business after all not much we can do about it, I’m just grateful one console supports Astroneer) so yeah, it is what it is. Our household has Xbox One x2 (soon adding an Xbox One X), PS4 x2, iMac x2 (one is newer, one oldish), rMBP (2013), multiple 3DS/3DSXL, Nintendo Switch x2, Wii, Xbox 360 x3, multiple iDevices, an iCade, a Sphero, so yeah we’re a gaming family. I’d be ecstatic to see Astroneer come to multiple devices but I understand SES is still a small studio and I know overreaching to multiple platforms would be a bad thing.

I think developing for the Switch, while awesome, might not be the best thing but I know very little about how development works. PS4 has outsold Xbox One 2:1 so SES I’m guessing would reach the most potential customer base by bringing Astroneer to PS4. Then again, I’m not sure about the AAA to Indie ratio of games played on PS4 vs Switch. That gets into a lot of customer database analysis that metrics stuff, the sort of things the Devs and the studio have to pay attention to and most of us players end up knowing nothing or very little about. It has a big influence on gaming sometimes in really negative ways but again, it’s a business. Most people by the Switch for the Nintendo games, but end up playing a variety of games as well (I think, anyway). The PS4, much like the Xbox One, has some exclusives, the big AAA titles that are multiplatform, but it’s also known for having great support for Indie games as well. Hard call. A lot of games come to the Switch later, after they’ve been on console for awhile. Not necessary to bring a game out to all platforms at once, even if that’d be nice it’s not a requirement and I’m sure they know much more about this than anyone least of all me (I know next to nothing). 

On 4/25/2018 at 2:02 PM, Martin said:

Ah I see.. another xboxy console thing for £300-£400. 

Ah, but you can take it anywhere, and it comes with two controllers that can be detached (they can be used separately for two players, or as a left/right side of a single controller). The draw of the Switch (and the reason why it's the first console I've ever bought) is its flexibility and portability.

The basic form factor of the Switch itself is a tablet, but with two "rails" on the sides where you can connect two controllers (called Joy-Cons by Nintendo). It also has a touchscreen, using the same technology as most smart phones.

It can be used in three basic ways:

• Portable, with the controllers attached to the screen and acting as a single controller.
  • Docked, where the dock connects it to a TV. The controllers can be used separately for two players or slipped into a grip to act as a single controller.
  • Tabletop, where it has a built-in stand that can be used to prop it up on a table. The controllers can be used the same way as when it is docked.

When compared to mobile devices or previous Nintendo consoles, it's quite beefy. I'd say it's easily more powerful than virtually any cell phone, and it's decently more powerful than their previous system, the Wii U.

When compared to other consoles, it's a bit less powerful. Things do have to be scaled back a bit, although some developers have been able to get some demanding games (such as the most recent Doom) running on it. It won't do 4K, but it will do 1080p.

For the flexibility, the first party games, and a bunch of smaller indies, I thought it was well worth the price. Nintendo has some top-notch titles for the system, and I've always liked indie games and there are a lot of them. I don't regret getting it.