ramalamafizzfaj

when is the next update due?

The whole reason why there's nothing is exactly because upcoming events like E3 are going to reveal...things. So they're not trying to kill the hype for it.
That's all I can say. :ph34r:

"Hey gang! We'll be present at this year's E3. Expect an announcement and a few surprises!"

This took me less than a minute to type.

The issue is that there's no communication on their own forums, at all, not even to announce that they'll be attending such an important event. Not everyone uses twitter. They are paying good money to use this forum. I think it's time that they use it a bit more. Or at least, if you are an official moderator, to email you to post announcements for them. If a fellow player didn't post that SES was attending E3, I wouldn't even know about it. See the problem?

To be fair, not everyone uses Twitter, but not everyone uses the forums either. That's kinda the dilemma.
Either way, most of the time I don't get a reply (in time) myself, so I may as well just go ahead and post announcements about that stuff myself. It's just a notice anyway. Although I did pester Joe about integrating stuff like a twitter feed on the forums, so you couldn't possibly miss it then. But asking SES to do changes is all I can do...apart form just manually putting up the information I gather.

Time to ping Joe again. heh

Edit: Got some info. Joe will be sharing more info this week. Then you'll know where they are going to appear soon. Either he or I will update the calendar then (and or post announcements in form of a thread, if necessary).

Edited by Wyvyrias

There is no sense, something to complicate - if there is a simple solution to the problem.

1) If SES can not automatically synchronize news in all available sources (twitter, facebook, blog, forum) - indicate the main source of news - let people look there, and do not run around the resources.

2) If you still want to post on all resources, but it's hard to copy one line of text and a link to a picture \ video - just point to the link to the main resource (twitter?)

3) toWyvyrias - Perhaps it will be easier for you to do this kind of work instead of writing a wall of text in response to every troll / worried in this forum. Wash it will take less time :)

P.S. I understand that SES_Joe, as a programmer, is simply easier to set up some kind of news synchronization bot - killing for this week of time than spending 5 minutes of time on the copy-paste tweet every two weeks :D Was himself so. In the end, find a volunteer for this awfully hard job :)

Sorry for text. generated by google translate :)

36 minutes ago, Mirosya said:

Sorry for text. generated by google translate :)

1) They've made pretty clear that the community Discord is the best place for information. They've also demonstrated that Twitter is a main platform for announcements. 

2) 100% agree. It takes no time to copy and paste, and the forum should be a main part of that. 

3) Wyv is a volunteer who's the lead moderator of this forum, the Discord, the Reddit, and the Steam forums. He sacrifices a lot of his time to help Joe on the front lines of communication. But still, he's not in control. SES needs to make that decision. 

PS: Joe isn't a programmer, his job title is comms officer. It's just that the game is so very popular that that he wears a lot of hats, until they hire the new team members. 

12 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

To be fair, not everyone uses Twitter, but not everyone uses the forums either. That's kinda the dilemma.

It shouldn't be a dilemma. Whoever is in charge of communications can post on all platforms to cover their bases. It's also partly common sense. Do they want only their twitter community to be informed, or do they want ALL their community to be informed? That's the question that they need to think about.

I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm just offering constructive criticism. Like the rest of the community, I want this project to succeed. But if the world doesn't know about it, it's going to be dead on arrival...

1 hour ago, vvhorus said:

It shouldn't be a dilemma. Whoever is in charge of communications can post on all platforms to cover their bases. It's also partly common sense. Do they want only their twitter community to be informed, or do they want ALL their community to be informed? That's the question that they need to think about.

There's a particular thing about using Twitter: It'll draw in people who are not into Astroneer yet. It's not a closed place, like the forums here that reach no one outside of Astroneer. PR and stuff. That and people find the information if they really want to. But as said, either me or Joe will improve the information flow when possible (I am depending on the info I get from Joe...I can't exactly put up super vague information myself as people will see it as "official"...if I put up something by myself, I need to be certain about it). Maybe I just set re-post all the tweets myself. hmm

1 hour ago, vvhorus said:

I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm just offering constructive criticism. Like the rest of the community, I want this project to succeed. But if the world doesn't know about it, it's going to be dead on arrival...

That's fine. But don't worry, the project is going very well is and is ages away from ending up dead on arrival. haha

6 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:

There's a particular thing about using Twitter: It'll draw in people who are not into Astroneer yet. It's not a closed place, like the forums here that reach no one outside of Astroneer. PR and stuff. People find the information if they really want to. But as said, either me or Joe will improve the information flow when possible (I am depending on the info I get from Joe...I can't exactly put up super vague information myself as people will see it as "official"...if I put up something by myself, I need to be certain about it).

That's fine. But don't worry, the project is going very well is and is ages away from ending up dead on arrival. haha

Like I said on a previous post, I personally don't use Twitter, and I use facebook sporadically (if an Astroneer post is not in my feed during the time I'm logged in, I will miss it). If someone else hadn't posted here that SES was going to be present at E3, I would not have known. I personally don't go hunting for information about any of the games that I play. I usually rely on either youtube or the games' official forums, and everything is there for those. Astroneer has been the only game that I currently follow where the forums have been so underused that an important announcement as a presence at E3 has not even been posted here, and the event is only a week away. Even if these forums had only one user, SES's responsibility is to keep that one user informed. Otherwise, what's the point of having an "Announcement" subforum if its own company is not going to even use it?

I'm not trying to win any arguments (or trolling), and I certainly know that as a volunteer moderator your hands are tied, because you depend on what SES tells you. I'm just trying to illustrate to you/SES what it looks like from my perspective as an average player/forum user, and my experience with other games that I currently play/follow. We can all agree, however, that SES needs a better communications strategy...

5 hours ago, vvhorus said:

Otherwise, what's the point of having an "Announcement" subforum if its own company is not going to even use it?

That sub-forum is actually something I asked for. I've been using it for stuff like vlogs. SES never intended to use them. Although, of course, you still have a point there. It's not like anyone knows that this section is just used by me for re-/cross-posts. 

5 hours ago, vvhorus said:

I'm not trying to win any arguments (or trolling), and I certainly know that as a volunteer moderator your hands are tied, because you depend on what SES tells you. I'm just trying to illustrate to you/SES what it looks like from my perspective as an average player/forum user, and my experience with other games that I currently play/follow. We can all agree, however, that SES needs a better communications strategy...

That's perfectly fine, and you're right that it could be better. There are things going on that will improve the communication in the future.