ramalamafizzfaj

when is the next update due?

Guys would you rather have a half baked update full of glitches or massive exciting updates with lots of content that blows you away

20 minutes ago, Rebelord said:

Guys would you rather have a half baked update full of glitches or massive exciting updates with lots of content that blows you away

We would but could you point to the update that did not have glitches? I'm not aware of one. So we have to assume that this update will also have glitches should we not? I mean there is a track record. There is history. 

And as for content yes and no. I like new content but at this point in my playing career, I'd much rather have the things in game work 100% than adding new content. Another way to store items, another size version of something we already have I'm really not interested in. I just want what I see on the box cover. A rover that works & 100% guarantee space travel is possible.
I'd trade a 100% working rover and consistent space travel over anything new.  

7 hours ago, vvhorus said:

I would be even happier if I had none, but we're human beings, after all.

If expecting SES to hold true to their word is not a reasonable expectation, I don't know what is. I understand delays happen, but as a paying customer (there's that important phrase again), I do not really care (to put it bluntly) what's going on "backstage," as long as the promise that the developers made is fulfilled. Maybe they need to hire an extra person, or the monthly update was an unrealistic thing to say, who knows. I don't really mind delays, but I do mind lack of transparency. As for this particular game, I only really have one expectation: eventual full game release. In the mean time, I can happily open any of my other 276 Steam games (or any other from my Origin, Epic, Uplay, GOG or CD/DVD collections) and have myself a good time. What will it take for Astroneer to keep me interested and away from that competition? That is something that the developers need to reflect on and act accordingly, because it's not only me, it's every other player who bought the game and can give word-of-mouth recommendations...

Fair points and absolutely valid. I am just trying to say that the developers are humans too. 

I don't think anyone expects anything from you other than moderate the forums, nor should it be your job to keep the community in general informed. You are doing a great job as a moderator, but the other things you mentioned, those are the developer's job. The company should have a community representative here in the forums during their normal business hours (at least) to address community concerns, make official announcements, gather suggestions/ideas/bug reports, and pass those along to the team. Every other game publisher already does that. I understand this is a young company, but if they want to endure and be successful, they need to listen to their community. As an example, look at Digital Extremes and how far they've come with Warframe. Their community team is a big part of their success. They have community reps monitoring the forums and reddit constantly, addressing concerns and gathering info for the developers, plus they do regular game streams on some weekdays and a big 2+ hours dev streams every other week.

I know, sure making sure people know I am not speaking for SES, although I am trying to improve the situation...at least from a technical standpoint.

At least Joe does try to make weekly streams, but sometimes things just get busy.

If SES could have an official community rep here in the forums and do that weekly/biweekly state of the game stream, the community would be happier and I'm sure the game would be in a much better place.

Well technically that's Joe.

And I'm not trying to be oppositional, nor trying to give anyone a hard time. These words come from a place of genuine constructive criticism. I want this game to succeed. I want many other players to give themselves the opportunity of enjoying it as much as I have, or even more.

My words were more of a general statement, not necessarily pointed towards anyone here. After all I cannot know who is actually worried and who is just bashing, so I am throwing the information out there for people who may have an unreasonable look at things.

Talking about forums, is there a reason why I can't edit posts after a certain amount of time, or not having some "like" mechanism? I'm a member of other forums that use this same engine and they all allow edits and liking posts...

There's a time limit for edits. I think 5 or 10 min after the post has been made, edits are locked. It's one of the things I wanted to be improved, but I can't do it myself as I have no access. Gotta bother Joe about those smaller things.
And yes, the reaction system isn't available either. I am still trying to get Joe to enable it, but no promises. Right now it doesn't even work with the main theme anyway.

5 hours ago, Ratbertt said:

Whoever took the idea of a game in Beta and repackage it as "early access" and charge money for it was a genius.  

It's an investment. You get to play something as it develops and you already bought access to the final version as well. It's quite a good concept that helps players and developers and there really isn't any reason to oppose it. Why? Because you simply can wait for the 1.0 release of an Early Access game, that'd be the same as buying games before Early Access was a thing. You basically just get the chance of playing to way earlier while helping the developers to fund the development.

14 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

It's an investment. You get to play something as it develops and you already bought access to the final version as well. It's quite a good concept that helps players and developers and there really isn't any reason to oppose it. Why? Because you simply can wait for the 1.0 release of an Early Access game, that'd be the same as buying games before Early Access was a thing. You basically just get the chance of playing to way earlier while helping the developers to fund the development.

I understand fully ALL the aspects of it.  I've been gaming since before 8 bit was a thing.  This is a game you play for a day or two and come back in 6 months, rinse and repeat until it's out of beta stage.  

So when is the next update due? Will it contain spaceships.. or terrain or maybe some fauna?

On 5/5/2018 at 6:27 PM, mikk said:

That's why they didn't tell us about the broken every month update rule and are dishonest about the game state. Extremely honest is a joke with their last dishonest QA stream in mind. I'm afraid discord is not a serious communication channel, at least not for a serious dev. I guess you are a good customer for them,  they could lying to you and you would be happy. Extremely honest lol. Looks like there are more delays incoming based on the Roadmap, you can be sure SES won't tell us the truth. Next week probably another small update (just the rover and direct steering I guess). No performance increase or new hazard types. Next content update in 2-3 months with another small update I guess. This is the trend this year so far.

If they are lying to us, then why did the fulfill almost all of their promises?

2 hours ago, tyler said:

They didn't.

14 hours ago, Ratbertt said:

I understand fully ALL the aspects of it.  I've been gaming since before 8 bit was a thing.  This is a game you play for a day or two and come back in 6 months, rinse and repeat until it's out of beta stage.  

That's your experience. Not everyone (yes of course some do) has the same opinion, though. And it's not even out of Alpha yet.

12 hours ago, Martin said:

So when is the next update due? Will it contain spaceships.. or terrain or maybe some fauna?

The next update should be planned for next month, of course. If everything goes smoothly. While the Terrain 2.0 is coming closer, Fauna is still 1.0 material.

5 hours ago, tyler said:

3 hours ago, mikk said:

They didn't.

Well, the directional steering and likely the engine upgrade are in. That cut 2 out of 6 remaining goals for Q1 2018. If we're being absolutely honest, and there's no reason to not be, they didn't manage to fulfill their "promise" given on the roadmap...at least not in the estimated time. That we cannot deny. But we can forgive. :P

Monthly content updates? Didn't happen either. The problem is they don't really tell us about the state and progress anymore, I'm not counting the PR marketing crap like they did in the last QA stream. 2 out of 6 goals from Q1 are included as of mid Q2, sorry this is alarming. Did we hear something substantial about terrain 2.0 for example in last months? I mean it is scheduled for this or next month. At this rate we won't see terrain 2.0 before the end of Q4. It's really odd seeing Astroneer nearing 1.0 with so little progress and content, obviously 1.0 is planned this year. There are so many features listed for Q2, no way they can deliver in time, pretty sure more delays are on the way which they won't explain honestly.

Yeh it would be of help if at some point joe or others just said "look patches might not come out every month on the dot, they might be 5-6 weeks or maybe even every 2 months".  Instead of misleading people to expect at least 1 content patch per month.  Whilst it is true that people "readinto" alot of what is posted, it is possible to post stuff, that cannot be read into.  Because you cover all your bases.  I don't expect a patch exactly every month, but I would like to see one or two.  I'd like to see more interaction, more reposted info across more locations.  Twitter should be advertising the discord, forums and steam forums for comments on a regular basis and those locations should be also advertising all the common info hotspots.  That way we can maximise information and keep everyone as uptodate as possible.

Also lets do away with this idea of "leaking" future releases and just start being honest.  We're working on this, this and this, we expect to release it here, then and when it's ready.

They didn't get it out in the one month timeframe. they were late by about 8-10 days. They went to a E3  and it likely put them a little bit behind. As far as i am concerned....not a big deal. They have been pretty constant with delivering monthly for awhile now so I really don't see why the sky is falling for some.

There are some items that I don't use much but I don't care if they remain because maybe someone else does use them.

I do agree that they should communicate more with the early access adopters or anyone interested in the game. 

27 minutes ago, GraShropp said:

They didn't get it out in the one month timeframe. they were late by about 8-10 days.

If you are ignoring the missing features from Q1....

I probably should clarify that the roadmap is a development roadmap, not a release roadmap (the name does say it). That's why I wrote "promise".

Here a recent quote from Veronica:

gGCnxat.png

I also find that devellopement bogs down a bit. For me he has too much time to change the little that already exists rather than enrich. The mechanics will have all the time to be reviewed later. Since early access the bulk of the update has been retrieving things that are not always fundamental.
As there for example the rover, it could not wait? Terrain 2.0 is the most important, there is nothing to explore spend 15 hours of play and we are in this state soon for 1 year. The only real advance will be to slow down the player's progress to extend the life.

All this is a pity this game has a huge potential.

Sorry for my english, i'm french

I will add, currently there are too many useless items or that are there only because they have an original design.
But we do not use them because they have no practicality at stake (I think of various storage). Why waste time creating content that is not?

After I realize that some mechanics are necessary for the future and that my post is not very nice, but, do not misunderstand me, I love the game and I wish it succeeds.

Edited by Wyvyrias
Merged posts.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:08 PM, mikk said:

If you are ignoring the missing features from Q1....

I have looked at the dev list and I don't see any issues. It's a guide, it is not a release schedule.

2 hours ago, GraShropp said:

I have looked at the dev list and I don't see any issues. It's a guide, it is not a release schedule.

Exactly, it's a marketing showcase guide to fool the people suggesting it is a real Roadmap.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:20 PM, mikk said:

Exactly, it's a marketing showcase guide to fool the people suggesting it is a real Roadmap.

Its a list of what they want to develop for the game and a rough schedule, nothing more nothing less.  If you took it as marketing that's on you.

So, again...

When is the next update coming out, officially? Any new developments? What should we expect for the next update? What can you, the developers, share with us, your community, about recent development milestones and the roadmap leading to 1.0?

All these information dry spells only hurt your game. With all due respect, I'm sure any of you can squeeze in a few minutes periodically to share some info here in YOUR forums. If you expect player feedback, we expect you to be present to receive it, and to keep us informed on the game's progress. Don't just pop in whenever someone posts an inappropriate comment.

Should I just shelf the game for another 6-8 months and check in then to see if it has been updated?

2 hours ago, vvhorus said:

Should I just shelf the game for another 6-8 months and check in then to see if it has been updated?

They're going to e3 as part of the ID@xbox show, and have gone pretty much silent, even on the holy Discord. We understand that the team's putting in some serious hours to get a major update ready, to be announced at e3, then released at some point after. 

I'm not trying to reignite this thread but, really... The game already has (estimated) over a million units sold, and there are a few people on the forum demanding information. Democratically, no one cares if we don't hear from them. Most people who go to the effort of registering here are passionate about the game, but to expect more than an update, when it's ready, is unreasonable. There's no indication by the team that they'll be here giving out information. 

Perhaps to manage your expectations, you should come back to the game in 6 months. When they abandoned the monthly release schedule without communicating the change, I was very disappointed, but I re-adjusted my expectations, stopped playing as much, and decided to wait. 

Or... E3 is in two weeks time. We've been told to maybe expect a second teaser next week. The first is on Twitter if you missed it!

14 hours ago, Blind Io said:

They're going to e3 as part of the ID@xbox show, and have gone pretty much silent, even on the holy Discord. We understand that the team's putting in some serious hours to get a major update ready, to be announced at e3, then released at some point after. 

I'm not trying to reignite this thread but, really... The game already has (estimated) over a million units sold, and there are a few people on the forum demanding information. Democratically, no one cares if we don't hear from them. Most people who go to the effort of registering here are passionate about the game, but to expect more than an update, when it's ready, is unreasonable. There's no indication by the team that they'll be here giving out information. 

Perhaps to manage your expectations, you should come back to the game in 6 months. When they abandoned the monthly release schedule without communicating the change, I was very disappointed, but I re-adjusted my expectations, stopped playing as much, and decided to wait. 

Or... E3 is in two weeks time. We've been told to maybe expect a second teaser next week. The first is on Twitter if you missed it!

I don't use Twitter. At all. If this company only relies on Twitter to release information, well, I'm sh** out of luck. I guess posting here on the "official" forums (these ARE the company's official forums, are they not?) is probably way too much work. I mean, realistically, how long does it take to log in to their own forums and post an update? 10-15 minutes, tops? Other developers stream their game a few times a week and even do weekly "state of the game" videos. This company can't even be bothered to write a single forum post to let their community, I mean, their paying customers, know what's going on. Then there are players like yourself who like to excuse, dismiss and justify their absence, even though you can't possibly know what goes on in their office on a daily basis unless you are there on a daily basis. We gave money to SeS for an unfinished product because we believed that this game has potential and we wanted to contribute to its development. I see ourselves as "shareholders" of sorts. We invested in this game's development. We should expect regular progress reports. I think they owe us that much.

Them being at E3 should have been something worth posting on their own forums, don't you agree? What's the "Announcements" sub-forum for?

It's not unreasonable to expect the devs to communicate with their community, especially through their own channels, one being this one. My question was a valid one. "When is the next update coming out, officially?" A couple of sentences could have done the trick, yet SeS choose not to say anything. Having said that, I'm not impatiently awaiting any response to the question. I'm way too busy with life to be worried about an update for a game still in alpha, especially when the makers aren't even present on their own forums. As for E3, there are other games that I'm actually more curious about. I already know what's eventually coming for Astroneer based on the development roadmap.

I just smile when people use the "who cares" phrase. Obviously, the community does. I do. I'm sure that even you do. Even if "democratically" the community does not ask for updates, SeS should be prepared and proactive and have regular progress reports posted here for all of us. That's what a responsible company who cares for its paying customer base should do. Thanks for making me smile...

I want this game to succeed like the rest of us, but man, they need to improve their communication skills...

48 minutes ago, vvhorus said:

I want this game to succeed like the rest of us, but man, they need to improve their communication skills...

Yup. 

The monthly VLOG videos are history as well unless we get something in the next few hours. The last VLOG video is 1.5 months old which referred to GDC mainly. There is zero communication since quite a while which is shocking for an early access game where players are curious about the progress and state of the game. This is one of the worse development studios when it comes to communication. And unless we get Terrain 2.0 and dedicated servers in the next update it will be another disappointment because then we are looking for huge Q2 feature delays.

Edited by mikk

There's no need for any of us to restate our positions on this topic, it'll just end up going round and round. 

I'm sorry, the headline of my post was supposed to be that we can expect some news at e3.