ramalamafizzfaj

when is the next update due?

2 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

2 work days left in the month of April. We we be receiving our monthly update? 

They confirmed on today's stream that this week is bug fix week, so from that we can expect a release next week. So, probably not, but nearly. 

sorry, but this is a game that have so much potential. But the time from update to update ist too long. 😞 i think there are more people like me who think so.

49 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

What bug did they fix?

Ha! Probably just the ones they created whilst tweaking performance... 

On 4/27/2018 at 4:40 PM, Necroide66 said:

sorry, but this is a game that have so much potential. But the time from update to update ist too long. 😞 i think there are more people like me who think so.

+1 my friend

On 4/27/2018 at 5:22 PM, Blind Io said:

Ha! Probably just the ones they created whilst tweaking performance... 

One step forward two steps backward 

The self imposed deadline is winding down

Will System ERA get an update delivered before the merry merry month of May begins? 

By the looks of it their "every month patch" rule is no longer applied which is a big disappointment. I mean they told us in December that we get from 2018 on every month a new content update, in reality everything slowed down. The last major 0.6 update is from February! Suddenly their roadmap is just a development roadmap, to me it is clear there are big delays hidden by "just a development roadmap" marketing speech. I would prefer some honest answers about the future of the game. Why no telling us Sorry, this month no update.

Posted (edited)

I think GDC put them behind a little bit. If we have to wait until may so be it. I'd rather SE be happy with releasing it then releasing it because we want it.

Trust me they want it in our hands too.

Edited by GraShropp

There were a trio of hotfixes released end of March/beginning of April (the last, 0.6.8 was 4/2 or so) following the last update.  So strictly speaking, it is not quite a full month since the last released code.  Patience is a good thing...

9 hours ago, avitous said:

There were a trio of hotfixes released end of March/beginning of April (the last, 0.6.8 was 4/2 or so) following the last update.  So strictly speaking, it is not quite a full month since the last released code.  Patience is a good thing...

Doesn't count for me because it is a hotfix release from the March update, there is nothing new in it. They could change 1 byte and claim we did release a patch this month, this is just for the paper.

On 5/1/2018 at 1:47 AM, avitous said:

Patience is a good thing...

And it continues.... that, it should be I, the customer who maintains my patience 
When does the boss of the company begin to run out of his? 

On 5/1/2018 at 11:28 AM, mikk said:

Doesn't count for me because it is a hotfix release from the March update, there is nothing new in it. They could change 1 byte and claim we did release a patch this month, this is just for the paper.

Agreed. It is just a broken promise. Nothing more nothing less. The company stated they would do something and they did not. That is just a fact. 

Posted (edited)

The poor thing imho is the missing communication about the state of the game, I mean not the marketing answers we typically get in their streams, instead some honest answers with realistic timeframes. As we know their roadmap is useless regarding timeframes for us, it's more a showcase thing. Also outdated by now.

Delays and slow progress is one problem and many people might accept it. There is absolutely no communication about the absent patch last month and the broken "every month new content" promise, we have no clue what's going on. This forum is basically dead, no infos nothing. The only thing from SES here are the patch notes, beside this nothing which is embarrassing considering that many people purchased for this Alpha game in good faith.

Edited by mikk

Well stated @mikk

I too think it is over. It was a good run IMHO. They did make a pretty game. It apparently is not going to be finished. It was priced correctly however as I paid $19.99? I can't say I didn't have fun with the things I was able to do however those ran out pretty quickly. I can't explore nor can I have fun exploring without a properly 100% working rover and the ability to travel in space 100% of the time successfully. The time it has taken to not deliver either one of these two essential aspects within the central core of the game is rather telling. 

But my experience here won't stop me in the future from supporting game companies in the pre-alpha stage. If I paid $100 it would burn but $20 to give some good folks a shot at succeeding was worth it in my opinion. I'll do it again for sure. Who knows maybe some of these same staffers will end up on other teams I support in the future?

I am a bit late to the party. 👨‍🚀

I am seeing people being concerned about the future of Astroneer. While that's understandable, you don't have to worry, SES is solid and talking with Joe makes it clear that they are VERY passionate with their work. Their schedule was about 1 update per month, that's true, and it's disappointing if a "deadline" can't be kept. Being Early Access though, I think that's ok. They're trying to push content when it's ready. I think they should pick up the experimental builds again to give something to people earlier. Also Joe is often around on our Discord. And he often drops some information.

And while I haven't watched the last stream, there's Mixer, and I am sure some information about that has been dropped there. https://mixer.com/Astroneer?vod=29945781 (the VoD doesn't last forever)
I'll try and poke Joe about this kind of thing though. Makes sense people don't like to not have any information pinned in case of delays. I sadly have no direct access to that information myself, so no promises.

Further to what Wyv said above, the people mentioning the roadmap should note that the specific features for each upcoming update aren't 100% confirmed until the patch is ready for release. It wouldn't make much sense to tinker with the roadmap between updates, which is why it only gets edited after each major release. 

Some really valid points here,  on the one hand I just trust that SeS will pull through, we've all seen indy games flop over the years, without any obvious reason, because people are just too embarressed to talk about it.  Sometimes they'll say it's financial sometimes due to loss of staff for various reasons.

SeS Devs discuss on Twitter and Discord.. but not on the Main Forums or Steam, where the bulk of their customers congregate. 

Joe outputs a video maybe once a month.. I'd expect this to be once a week at least.  There's plenty of unpaid youtubers that output a video every 2-3 days.  (yes they get monitised video profits)

It's all well and good to see roadmaps etc.  But plans are rarely followed as they are created often by people not doing the job. 

I can only assume from my experience of working with Rockstar, Blizzard and Electronic Arts that there is more work going on than is being acknowledged or released.  That the EA's are being used to beta some basic, more or less complete conceptions or else there's alot of work going on, thats just going to waste.  I can only hope it's the former as the latter produced games like No Mans Sky and Mass Effect Andromeda.. which whilst they are generally fun games, could have been so much more.

I hope Astroneer, will be so much more and being told not to worry about it.. Wyv.. doesn't work, we need to see the evidence, not be told it exists somewhere we don't go.

14 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

LOL, not the company own forum! LOL I love it! 

I don't see how that's a problem. Are they not allowed to spent a major part of their time on other platforms that the community can reach? It doesn't need to be their own to be community involved. They read the forums and answer if necessary, that's enough for now.

12 hours ago, Martin said:

Some really valid points here,  on the one hand I just trust that SeS will pull through, we've all seen indy games flop over the years, without any obvious reason, because people are just too embarressed to talk about it.  Sometimes they'll say it's financial sometimes due to loss of staff for various reasons.

I've had a chat with Joe about that, since then I knew SES won't be satisfied with any flops on their side. :P
Although of course, the financial part is something else, but with all those sales, SES is going strong.

12 hours ago, Martin said:

SeS Devs discuss on Twitter and Discord.. but not on the Main Forums or Steam, where the bulk of their customers congregate. 

They've been doing some stream directly on the front page, posting news on Steam (and other places) while I've been re-posting their vlogs in dedicated channels on the forums. The major information is very accessible for the majority of users, even those who don't want to leave their main platform at all.

13 hours ago, Martin said:

Joe outputs a video maybe once a month.. I'd expect this to be once a week at least.  There's plenty of unpaid youtubers that output a video every 2-3 days.  (yes they get monitised video profits)

Joe isn't a dedicated content creator/YouTuber though. That's not all his position is about. It appears he's actually somewhat involved into actual development as well. Also the YouTubers you are talking about are able to pull information from all sources. That's not possible for Joe, it's gotta be somewhat SES/Astroneer related to fill a video with. And they cannot expose everything they just started working on either.

It's all well and good to see roadmaps etc.  But plans are rarely followed as they are created often by people not doing the job. 

Software development is rough, and making things go as planned isn't always possible, even with effort. At least they're sticking to the roadmap for the most part so far.

I can only assume from my experience of working with Rockstar, Blizzard and Electronic Arts that there is more work going on than is being acknowledged or released.  That the EA's are being used to beta some basic, more or less complete conceptions or else there's alot of work going on, thats just going to waste.  I can only hope it's the former as the latter produced games like No Mans Sky and Mass Effect Andromeda.. which whilst they are generally fun games, could have been so much more.

Yeah, that's true. As said above, not everything can be exposed. Giving people false promises is the first step to doom. Early Access is more of a mid-stage funding with active participation, though. Developers need money to work on software (they have to pay food, rent and hardware somehow), but they also need to have something offer right away, cause if it's just a concept, they can't lay their hands on it (that's what Kickstarter or Indiegogo is for then). God knows how many great minds can't even get this far because the initial funding hits a wall. Games like NMS had a hard time because of a small Indie studio happening to have a terrible PR guy who couldn't deal with the pressure from big boy Sony (ya know, deadlines) and just lied his way through it, thus creating a lot of false expectations. SES has no such issues, so while it doesn't seem as "fancy" and "hyped" as NMS may have looked, it is at very least the very truth.

I hope Astroneer, will be so much more and being told not to worry about it.. Wyv.. doesn't work, we need to see the evidence, not be told it exists somewhere we don't go.

I know, but if people are unwilling to look for the information, it can't be helped. I see it every day, people reposting the same extremely common things (even stuff that's already on the road map) or missing pinned posts, thus asking for things that have their answer right in their view. They just swim past all the information that's already given anyway. Also the "leaks" that we get are small things intended to be only around on Discord. If you want them, you join and lurk for them. If not, then not.

9 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

I don't see how that's a problem. Are they not allowed to spent a major part of their time on other platforms that the community can reach? It doesn't need to be their own to be community involved. They read the forums and answer if necessary, that's enough for now.

You don't see the problem? Embarrasing if true.

There is absolutely no communication in their own forum or Steam. When Astroneer came out there was much more and better communication than now, when Joe stepped in communication stopped out of a sudden. He is doing a poor job imho. The recent QA stream was just some PR marketing crap, why didn't they honestly say sorry no update this month and may be explaining why. Instead they explained why their Roadmap isn't useful for us, basically defending the roadmap saying there is no delay to anything, this is so misleading and dishonest. The Roadmap isn't even updated since ages, it's stuck in Q1! They also failed to give some rough estimate about their next update.  No progress state, nothing. I can't trust people like this anymore, they are clearly dishonest to us. Some would expect that an early Access alpha game would get better information about the state and future, obviously not for this game anymore which is sad.