Sign in to follow this  
vvhorus

Quests? RPG Elements?

Hey all!

What if we had quests/mini quests in the game? I know narrative is coming in 1.0, but I have a few ideas that might be good to add:

A. Use the zebra balls as ancient pods that would contain archaeological relics/relic fragments, or map fragments, or lore messages/items, depending on which type of ball we find (I've seen striped, checkered and dotted balls so far). Contents would be RNG, and the only way to open the pods would be through the research bay.

1. Archaeological relics/fragments should be unique to each planet, and they could be tradeable for materials, technologies, or other relics/fragments. Also, they could be part of a game achievement (collect all relics from X planet).
  2. Map fragments would be collected to unlock a random planetary location in which an ancient city ruin would be located, with a chance to find relics, harvested materials and other goodies. There could be one or multiple locations per planet. (Perhaps also stellar coordinates to a hidden planet?)
  3. Lore messages could contain the history of the planet you are exploring, like holograms of its people, ancient texts, seeds, DNA blueprints, and the like.

B. Have interaction with other races which could give you errands in exchange for technologies, items, materials, relics, etc. Interaction can be through a comm device in your suit (maybe another tab in your computer) or a panel that you open in your habitat.

C. RPG elements in Astroneer, maybe? Character progression, character stats, etc. The higher your stats, more technologies and planets available to unlock for you. Evolve and integrate the current "bytes" system into a "tech" stat for your character. It can increase from visiting other planets and gathering more diverse tech from those, opening research pods, or from quest rewards.

On 4/16/2018 at 1:21 PM, erpa scratch said:

Sorry, I don't think that will happen at all. ASTRONEER isn't that type of game

So what type of game is this to you, then? IMO, this is basically a survival RPG without any character progression at the moment. You play the role of a space colonist gathering resources to expand your base. Narrative is coming with 1.0 per the roadmap. What type of narrative, only time will tell, but we'll be getting a purpose, not just a mindless grind for resources to build a purposeless base.

Those were suggestions for the developers, anyways. Treat them as such...

It is a sci-fi space exploration, a survival game contains food, water, and sleep needs but ASRONEER doesn't. The oxygen and electricity is one element. Let's have a game like Minecraft, DID THAT NEED A NARRATIVE? ...no, it was a great game without it. Furthermore, the devs probably pitched the idea but simply don't have enough resources (money to do so)

2 hours ago, vvhorus said:

So what type of game is this to you, then? IMO, this is basically a survival RPG without any character progression at the moment. You play the role of a space colonist gathering resources to expand your base. Narrative is coming with 1.0 per the roadmap. What type of narrative, only time will tell, but we'll be getting a purpose, not just a mindless grind for resources to build a purposeless base.

Those were suggestions for the developers, anyways. Treat them as such...

Plus, they say they are adding Narrative which is not a story mode. Maybe a quest line to get materials in the game. I would love a quest line but a story would be to much work