Danielbetu

What a beautiful and powerful tool!

I had to make an arrangement in my base and I covered the floor with gray, but I did not like it :|, so I decided to learn how to use the augmentation module of our personal excavation tool, this module is called "terrain analyzer", and I discovered that it is a powerful improvement !!

For those who still do not know how to use it, we have to add it to our tool after researching it and making it, and then collect only the color we want to use, until the meter is visibly filled and a sound is heard

20180412144326_1.thumb.jpg.1cfdc8100857d70dafd49f9998e1e582.jpg

then all the ground add, will be that color, and everything we collect, will be only that color, not altering or picking up the others! I still have to try this module together with the inhibition module, in order to be able to paint without deforming the ground.

20180412144704_1.thumb.jpg.a4ff0030074bcb2274f57984d07d6fd1.jpg

20180412144732_1.thumb.jpg.178d303d8dd26348e081b23ea0371681.jpg

This is really great !!! :D

Eh, it is alright. Definitely not worthy of two threads IMHO. xD

The part I can't stand is this 21st century item is using a 19th century mechanism..... I can only paint the color that I suck up? That is not very futuristic is it? I mean, that would be a solution here on earth. 

Much like the rubber tires, filled with air. Where is the futuristic in that? That is something they did in 1969 right? 

For me much of the 19th century game play in this futuristic game just does not add up. I see a beautiful game, great colors, fun, artistic and so many other good adjectives. Yet the mechanics seem to be stuck in the 1990's of video game building. For me. A game of space exploration sure seems to be tethered to the Kennedy space program of the 1960's. 

The 19th century chore about this is the following:

Why after I research and build can't I just turn any soil into any color? Why is the 19th century requirement added that I HAVE to pick soil of one color to produce that color? Why can't we have the 21st century tool that allows me to pull up a color chart and pick a color and shade I want? 

Good argument, but I trust what the producers of the game say, they want to make a great game of space exploration, I like this original way of using this tool and we should only have extreme patience, the game is still in its childhood, and it has great potential, I enjoy a lot and I defend it jealously ha ha

I'm a fanboi as well @Danielbetu but there has to come a time when even the most heartiest of lovers of all things System ERA has to begin scratching their heads wondering.............. how much longer? How much longer am I supposed to have extreme patience? 

A space travel game where the only 100% reliable mode of transport is walking/running? After all this time? 
It is not like this is the only space game, the only survival game, the only game that uses transportation, the only game that, well, does anything that has not been done before. Yet I'm not required to have extreme patience to play and enjoy those other games. There are some games that are built around transportation. More specifically vehicles. I can use those vehicles 100% the way they were designed to be used. Yet in Astroneer, not so much. 

I'm still having to carry research pods, one by one, over vast distances, by foot, how many months after release? I would enjoy using a rover to transport research pods however, can't be in a storm or it will roll away, can't sit in the driver's seat in this position or that but you can in this position unless this or that happens to be in play. Can't exit here or can't exit in this situation or bye bye rover! Rovers love rocks don't they? Why on God's green Terran would you have billions upon billion of surface rocks that the rover and it's caravan have EXTREME difficulties traversing? 

It is the most basic of fundamentals that I have to have extreme patience with that is so extremely frustrating. O.o

1 hour ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

Why after I research and build can't I just turn any soil into any color? Why is the 19th century requirement added that I HAVE to pick soil of one color to produce that color? Why can't we have the 21st century tool that allows me to pull up a color chart and pick a color and shade I want?

I wanted to paint the floor of my base white so I had to go on top of a mountain to get some snow. I enjoyed this extra step to get what I wanted. That was a fun little project.

1 minute ago, Bushmills said:

I wanted to paint the floor of my base white so I had to go on top of a mountain to get some snow. I enjoyed this extra step to get what I wanted. That was a fun little project.

Um, ok. How walking up a mountain to suck up white soil is a project that I don't understand but hey, to each his own. Seems more like a walk up a mountain not so much a project. Maybe I don't know the meaning of project?

The part I can't stand is this 21st century item is using a 19th century mechanism..... I can only paint the color that I suck up? That is not very futuristic is it? I mean, that would be a solution here on earth. 

Much like the rubber tires, filled with air. Where is the futuristic in that? That is something they did in 1969 right? 

[...]

This goes in line with how I view the art style of Astroneer: it is a homage to the space exploration during the Apollo program era. It imitates the color scheme and materials used back then. For me, especially the previous design of the small rover reminded me of Apollo's moon buggy. And the interior of the (printable) habitat, in particular the shape and coloring of the seat look very much like a 1960's design made with natural leather.

However, when looking at the new designs for the base module and the rovers, they seem to deviate a little from that style with recent updates.

Regarding the terrain analyzer, its name suggests how it works: it needs to analyse the features of a particular terrain sample before it is able to apply them to other terrain. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me, even for some advanced technology.

Getting my rover ready for a trip to find a mountain high enough to get snow. Preparing enough tethers or O² tanks to not suffocate while climbing, finding a crash site on the way there, collecting cool stuff including a "scientific" research pod. Climbing said mountain, digging shelter because a storm is coming my way, watching O² tanks emptying, going back to rover to fill up, sucking up snow, seeing nother crash site the other side of the mountain etc etc...I call this a nice little project but as you said, to each his own.

Maybe you've played this game too much and you're growing impatient? Or you're not used to buggy games. Try the ArmA series, bugs and stuff will drive you mad but these games are still great if you like them, despite the bugs.
For a game that is still WIP, I find Astroneer pretty good. I can make do with all the anoyances caused by bugs, whimsical rovers and so on.
It seems you're expecting more than the current state of the game can offer you.

19 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I'm still having to carry research pods, one by one, over vast distances, by foot, how many months after release?

There are workarounds to buggy rovers.
Rover + seat on bumper and you're good to go,
One large rover with a single medium storage for power and misc items is enough to bring back 6 research pods. That's quite alright in my opinion.
Walking vast distances carrying one single research pods is your choice, you could do otherwise.

I'm a fanboi as well @Danielbetu but there has to come a time when even the most heartiest of lovers of all things System ERA has to begin scratching their heads wondering.............. how much longer? How much longer am I supposed to have extreme patience? 

A space travel game where the only 100% reliable mode of transport is walking/running? After all this time? 
It is not like this is the only space game, the only survival game, the only game that uses transportation, the only game that, well, does anything that has not been done before. Yet I'm not required to have extreme patience to play and enjoy those other games. There are some games that are built around transportation. More specifically vehicles. I can use those vehicles 100% the way they were designed to be used. Yet in Astroneer, not so much. 

I'm still having to carry research pods, one by one, over vast distances, by foot, how many months after release? I would enjoy using a rover to transport research pods however, can't be in a storm or it will roll away, can't sit in the driver's seat in this position or that but you can in this position unless this or that happens to be in play. Can't exit here or can't exit in this situation or bye bye rover! Rovers love rocks don't they? Why on God's green Terran would you have billions upon billion of surface rocks that the rover and it's caravan have EXTREME difficulties traversing? 

It is the most basic of fundamentals that I have to have extreme patience with that is so extremely frustrating. O.o

I agree that rovers need a little extra attention, since they're such an important aspect of gameplay.

Maybe have a rover mod or attachment that could flatten the ground to create roads?

1 hour ago, Bushmills said:

I wanted to paint the floor of my base white so I had to go on top of a mountain to get some snow. I enjoyed this extra step to get what I wanted. That was a fun little project

Great!!!

1 hour ago, Bushmills said:

I also have my projects and I have a lot of fun doing them, while I wait for the updates, I decided to make a solar and aeolian farm in a nearby mountain to feed my land base and my moon base and I have already done them, now I am in full development of a tunnel underground of long dimensions to collect materials from other distant caves in the Moon, and thus, creating goals and projects, I am having fun and I can wait, otherwise the anxiety murders me ha ha.

56 minutes ago, vvhorus said:

I agree that rovers need a little extra attention, since they're such an important aspect of gameplay.

Maybe have a rover mod or attachment that could flatten the ground to create roads?

I just have to question (and of course it is too late and a lot of Monday Morning Quarterbacking) why rubber tires filled with air? And when those same rubber tires filled with air were giving the company huge issues even before release why not trax like tanks have or snow machines have?
Why do rovers have move when the wind blows? Why? Why not fix it? 

And the rocks. Why have the rocks if you don't have a rover that can climb the rocks? The rocks are on the surface of the planet. I have to dodge the rocks because that is a total and complete navigation nightmare, I can't get near caves as ya'll know what happens, can't sit in the chair the designed way, can't leave the rover in case of a storm as it may end up rolling away, and down a cave and over there and and and and 

Again, I just love the game. I love the people that make the game. I HATE the transportation in this game.

I traveled to exotic. The solar system just stops moving! Not a planet is moving. One planet is in 6 huge chunks, my base from Terran is nowhere but yet I can see all my flags floating in deep space not near a single planet. So I post about it and I receive a post stating that "oooh can't go to that planet"
Really? After how many months another mode of transportation does not work as designed? Ok so I can't fly. I can't drive. So I'm stuck walking as it is the ONLY reliable mode of transport since launch. That is a fact. The only RELIABLE mode of transportation since launch has been walking/running. That is just a fact. I'm stating it is about time that that FACT is no longer true. 
Make a damn transportation DLC, charge me $20 I don't care. I just want what everyone that purchased this game should also want, working transportation. I am not, I repeat I am not asking for something that we should already have, no bugs attached. I'm sorry but this (transportation) has been done in hundreds of thousands of games to perfection. I just don't think I am asking for too much. I just don't. This is a gaming company. The game is exploration. Why is perfecting this aspect of the game so unattainable? After all this time........

2 hours ago, Marck said:

This goes in line with how I view the art style of Astroneer: it is a homage to the space exploration during the Apollo program era. It imitates the color scheme and materials used back then. For me, especially the previous design of the small rover reminded me of Apollo's moon buggy. And the interior of the (printable) habitat, in particular the shape and coloring of the seat look very much like a 1960's design made with natural leather.

However, when looking at the new designs for the base module and the rovers, they seem to deviate a little from that style with recent updates.

Regarding the terrain analyzer, its name suggests how it works: it needs to analyse the features of a particular terrain sample before it is able to apply them to other terrain. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me, even for some advanced technology.

Very well!!

And you are right, you gave the most accurate description possible about this tool, this gives the game the touch of uniqueness and that escapes from the traditional or what could be found elsewhere, we have to go and collect the terrain we want to replicate, the tool analyzes the terrain that we incorporate and then replicate it where we want.

29 minutes ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I just have to question (and of course it is too late and a lot of Monday Morning Quarterbacking) why rubber tires filled with air? And when those same rubber tires filled with air were giving the company huge issues even before release why not trax like tanks have or snow machines have?
Why do rovers have move when the wind blows? Why? Why not fix it? 

And the rocks. Why have the rocks if you don't have a rover that can climb the rocks? The rocks are on the surface of the planet. I have to dodge the rocks because that is a total and complete navigation nightmare, I can't get near caves as ya'll know what happens, can't sit in the chair the designed way, can't leave the rover in case of a storm as it may end up rolling away, and down a cave and over there and and and and 

Again, I just love the game. I love the people that make the game. I HATE the transportation in this game.

I traveled to exotic. The solar system just stops moving! Not a planet is moving. One planet is in 6 huge chunks, my base from Terran is nowhere but yet I can see all my flags floating in deep space not near a single planet. So I post about it and I receive a post stating that "oooh can't go to that planet"
Really? After how many months another mode of transportation does not work as designed? Ok so I can't fly. I can't drive. So I'm stuck walking as it is the ONLY reliable mode of transport since launch. That is a fact. The only RELIABLE mode of transportation since launch has been walking/running. That is just a fact. I'm stating it is about time that that FACT is no longer true. 
Make a damn transportation DLC, charge me $20 I don't care. I just want what everyone that purchased this game should also want, working transportation. I am not, I repeat I am not asking for something that we should already have, no bugs attached. I'm sorry but this (transportation) has been done in hundreds of thousands of games to perfection. I just don't think I am asking for too much. I just don't. This is a gaming company. The game is exploration. Why is perfecting this aspect of the game so unattainable? After all this time........

You are absolutely right, I do not understand why they have not updated after all this time the issue of the Rovers full of bugs, without power to overcome the abrupt terrain (which is what you expect to find on all the planets and their moons), etc, etc, I always wonder if they themselves, when testing their own game, if their Rovers fly off as mine do when I get off the driver's seat (another big bug: one of my Rovers was literally swallowed by the terrain, while I was watching) :

20180411233701_1.thumb.jpg.9787f3f3f63aac339d8ec6e2d416cc29.jpg

20180411234040_1.thumb.jpg.be2f43a6e6833a66b2b45d54e01d5c97.jpg

and how they do not rush to solve all these headaches, but anyway, what I'm doing now is to generate tasks and challenges myself, and I try to ignore all these errors, counting the days as they do prisoners, waiting patiently for new updates, and meanwhile I try to expose nice things, like this post about the "terrain analizer" in case someone does not know how to use it, also watching other gameplay videos, I adopt those ideas ials that I see to implement in my own game.

2 hours ago, Danielbetu said:

what I'm doing now is to generate tasks and challenges myself, and I try to ignore all these errors, 

I hear ya! I was doing a challenge trying to gather one each of the research pods. I was having a grand ole time. Easily 20+ hours of gameplay. Then I made the mistake of wanting to travel to another planet. DOH!!!!
Shame on me for wanting to visit another planet in this space exploration game. That is definitely one button (blast off) I'll only look at and never touch again! All that time, effort & energy wasted because I had to push that damn blast off button. NEVER again I say NEVER again! Play it safe stay on Terran.  

I hear ya! I was doing a challenge trying to gather one each of the research pods. I was having a grand ole time. Easily 20+ hours of gameplay. Then I made the mistake of wanting to travel to another planet. DOH!!!!
Shame on me for wanting to visit another planet in this space exploration game. That is definitely one button (blast off) I'll only look at and never touch again! All that time, effort & energy wasted because I had to push that damn blast off button. NEVER again I say NEVER again! Play it safe stay on Terran.  

What a pity!! But what happened? You lost the saved game? Thanks for letting me know, I will go to another planet when they release an update, or I start a new game and I go to another planet just build a spaceship, I will not risk going to another planet with my current base, I have been playing more than 40 hours (accumulated amount in several days in my free time)

One planet exploded into massive pieces. One chunk looked like an oblong wedge while the others were close to each other but in many other chunks. I can't get out of exotic's gravitational pull. I can't go to another planet. The solar system won't move. All planets are stationary. I can't get back to terran. I can't do anything but float in space or go back down to exotic to do..............

My advice is don't go to any other planets. Stay on terran. That's what I would do if I were to play this game again. I was told from another poster that as of a couple of weeks ago traveling to exotic was not advised. Too bad I missed the company release telling us so. 

It seems to me that some of the basics of travel, in any capacity, is in many ways borked. Using rovers are a flat out nightmare, can't travel to exotic, next week will there be another planet on the 'do not fly' list? 

21 hours ago, Bushmills said:

However to get resin, compound etc. I can just get them from canisters of soil. Yet, if I have 150+ canisters of soil (as I did) I'm still going to have to climb a mountain to get white soil? 
I can get multiple resources from soil yet soil does not contain, soil? 

These are the types of disconnects I'm talking about. Soil holds resin, compound and many other resources (that none of us can see) however soil does not contain soil. For a particular soil I have to go get it however for resources all I need is soil???? I can extract resources but not color?
And why on earth is it so important from a design perspective as to how a player, a customer paints there base? I'm going an extra step for pure aesthetics when I should have to be going the extra step for resources no? I mean one (resources) is a fundamental aspect of the game while soil is just for aesthetic reasons only. Why don't I have a color chart of all the colors I can use at my finger tips so that I can paint MY base anyway I want. The added extra step is just more company hand holding. 

And is it a big deal to have to walk 50 yards and take the 15 seconds to climb a mountain and gather a particular color, no. However, why would the designers make me do so? What would be the reason behind taking the extra step to just do a simple aesthetic thing. It is not a game play issue. It is not a challenge. I just want to color the floor and walls. Why can't I just have a nice palette of colors to choose from? This step adds NOTHING whatsoever to gameplay. It is just an unneeded step. I'd rather have a super nice, large, multiple color palette tool to choose from to make my base look pretty than the 'challenge' of collecting a particular color first.

When I'm on terran I want to be able to use ALL the colors of the known universe. Not just the colors I can find on terran. 

@The Touch of Grey Gamer

I understand your perspective and why you're unhappy with how things work regarding terrain analyzer. (among other things heh ^^)
Your analogy with the extractor is interesting because it's consistent with your logic and wishes regarding a palette with all colours readily available.
As for me, I think the extractor is OP and I never use it because it's too easy to get what you need. I think spending hours collecting canisters of soil is waste of MY time. I can't even imagine how long it took you to collect 150 canisters of soil, including the ressources needed only to craft these canisters.
I have the same opinion on the trade platform, though I admit to using it when I have too many rare ressources that I don't have a use for and can't be bothered to look for a few resins or compounds.
This is why I enjoy looking for the right colour. I can 't get it unless I find it first.
I think what Marck said is a good explanation of why you need to analyze soil to get a specific colour:

On 13/04/2018 at 3:38 PM, Marck said:

When you think of it, the analyzer doesn't require a full canister to extract the colour. The analysis ends before the canister is filled up. So technically, you don't suck up materials into it, unlike other ressources... you just suck up enough of the soil for the device to analyse it. You could even imagine that it separates the soil from its colour or whatever.
Is it a creative mod you're after ? As in Minecraft when all ressources endlessly available  for you to craft amazing stuff?
That would be nice if they offered such a mod.

7 hours ago, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I can't go to another planet.

Everything you tell is a very serious problem !! 

I really regret it.

I started a new game since I had the problem of not being able to grab things, and in the new game the same thing happened to me, but I keep playing and that effect disappears (I try to see how it starts and what I do to make it disappear, but I have not achieved nothing about it yet)

and now, with this second and new game that I started I have a new base on the planet Terran and another large base on the Moon, and now everything goes well and I have a lot of fun,

you could do the same and give a new opportunity to this great game in full development.

Recently I was looking at the profile of several guys who posted ideas, in 2016, and no longer have activity ... what a pity, the fact of launching a game in early access seems to have their pros and cons, not everyone has the patience to wait for the years it takes to develop a game, 

but in my case the matter is serious, haha, I arrive at this moment of the game, I saw it a while ago and it did not attract my attention, now I like it a lot and it became one of my better games, and now I'm hungry for more content, and it makes me sick not to know what the developers are doing, not see any movement, whoever gets involved and responds to messages, etc, I would very much like to go to their office and help them in what I can ha ha.

2 hours ago, Bushmills said:

@The Touch of Grey Gamer

When you think of it, the analyzer doesn't require a full canister to extract the colour. The analysis ends before the canister is filled up. 

I think that makes me feel worse, sadly. :S Now it really feels like it really is just an extra step that was added to give me something to do. 

The difference to me is that colored soil is just for aesthetics only. It is not a survival aspect. It is not a resource needed for some other project. It can't be traded or transported. It is just paint. Colored soil. Paint. What I want is when I research the terrain analyzer I would like to have the entire Astroneer color palate at my fingertips. It is my SP game. It is my base. It is my artistic talent that will produce what I want. 
I just don't want to have to take the chance to travel to another planet just to get a soil sample so I can paint my base a different color. It is just a pretty thing. It adds zero gameplay value other than for my own enjoyment and my eyes. Why I can't use colors from other planets until I travel to those planets is well, much like a stupid sign that reads "Resin" and a big yellow circle around it. Really, that is resin? 
Thanks again SES for holding my hand. 9_9

1 hour ago, Danielbetu said:

I try to make myself aware of what we already know, that developing a great video game takes a long time, several long years, this way I look for not to despair.

A complete game? Yes I agree. A vehicle for transportation? No I don't agree at all. 
There are entire franchise's of games that are centered around driving a vehicle. Or many vehicles. There are games like this one where driving is only one method of transportation, yet all those work as intended. 

Before the game was released the rover did not work. It does not work today, how many weeks/months after release? 
How a game centered around transportation (like so many other games are) and still have yet to give their paying customers 2 of the 4 methods of transportation that work reliably is really unacceptable to me and I would have to think many many others. 

At this point in time it matters little to me if we are in pre-alpha, alpha, beta or zeta. Those to me are just words at this point. Time; weeks, months, over a year is more than enough time to provide us what was advertised. It is a rover. A truck. A car. A mode of transport. And the fact that we still don't have one that works like all other games, (99.9% of the time) is and should be unacceptable to not only us, the customer, but the company itself. 

So we wait

and wait

and wait

Edited by The Touch of Grey Gamer