termos22

Compass improvement, navigation in harsh terrain

During my wander through planet terrain i was thinking about navigation.

Than i read few posts regarding maps and GPS. Due to you are alone on distant planet there is no map and you are not able to develop global positioning system but you have simple beacons.

The idea is to combine compass with beacons. Allow compass to show destination to beacons. Not all at the same time but to a group of "green beacons" (limit to one color at a time, be able to chose group in compass menu). This would allow to group your waypoints in player style (show your vehicles, home base or important places "red blinking beacons").

How to display all this information?
Allow compass to display on ground (after hovering on player, similar to terrain deform tool) a bigger circle with colour arrows on edge. Add a fancy grid to compass circle. Allow to display a distance to beacon next to an arrow.
Holding use key during cursor on player there could open a compass menu, allow to chose which color of beacons to display.

I think this would be nice alternative to current simple compass but would not create easy to use maps and GPS systems.

the developers are hardly against maps, but making some option to create a two dimensional map of only beacons, of the planet, would be some nice thing that won't be too powerful (unless you have too much resources and just create pathways with beacons).

I make my own landmarks while I travel with truck, some kinda pilars or using beacons helps too.

We need some kinda map system to locate home if nothing else.

Also, trucking sucks atm. it's so slow on hills and gettting stuck in rocks.

Anyhoo, I'm having some fun looking for solar panels....

I'd believe a beacon map will be the best, as a three dimensional hologram of the planet or some two dimensional map, both showing ONLY the beacons you placed and other tags such as vehicles and the base, but not planet features or such a thing.

Edited by yoavmal

On 7.04.2018 at 3:56 PM, Ossi said:

I make my own landmarks while I travel with truck, some kinda pilars or using beacons helps too.

We need some kinda map system to locate home if nothing else.

Also, trucking sucks atm. it's so slow on hills and gettting stuck in rocks.

Anyhoo, I'm having some fun looking for solar panels....

I play Minecraft also and i use external program to generate world map. In this case i also create some kind land marks to locate myself in overwhelming world.

But in Astroneer planets are smaller areas. Maps or GPS would spoil the fun.
Using extended compass would be more fun and quite easy and i think this wouldn't overpower this brilliant invention. Especially since beacons can be easily covered by mountains and planet horizon. 

Recently i have placed beacon underground few meters from my main base. When i am in base i can't see it but It's visible from space. Nice arrow on compass projected on ground arround my player would be best solution.

A compass is just a free-to-spin magnet .  An altimeter is just a barometer marked with height.  And I do like the beacon arrows idea.

BTW: the compass should shrink as you get close to the axis.  And at least one planet should have a mirrored compass - magnetic poles are backwards and some bodies.  

I would like to have there to the beacon markers at your feet for a quick glance but you could also pull out a holomap showing the entire planet your location and beacon locations BUT FIRST you must set up a stallite system to map the planet and each satellite maps a portion of the planet and can be used to predict sandstorms (and maybe future other disastrous *wink *wink I’m looking at you devs) that way the actual map is more end game but the compass you start with