Vigilance

[0.6.5.0] - [Xbox One S] - [Not Saving]

While playing (offline) I'll save multiple times either by going into the main pod or by going into vehicles. The game says "Saving" in green at the bottom. After a few seconds of waiting I exit out of the game by going to the main screen, pressing the 'A' button to get through the information, messages etc. Later on when I go back to load the same save it loads back up as something old (something from a few days prior) Meaning I lost all the progress I made, and the game didn't save. It seems to be off and on. The save I was using was only about a week old (I made a new one for the update) and it saved most of my progress up until I unlocked the large rover. As of now anything I do doesn't get saved.

That's true, in fact the date on the save said something about 2014, however like I said I sometimes play the game offline and it would be a shame to have to fix the time every time I want to play.

On 01/04/2018 at 11:13 AM, Vigilance said:

While playing (offline) I'll save multiple times either by going into the main pod or by going into vehicles. The game says "Saving" in green at the bottom. After a few seconds of waiting I exit out of the game by going to the main screen, pressing the 'A' button to get through the information, messages etc. Later on when I go back to load the same save it loads back up as something old (something from a few days prior) Meaning I lost all the progress I made, and the game didn't save. It seems to be off and on. The save I was using was only about a week old (I made a new one for the update) and it saved most of my progress up until I unlocked the large rover. As of now anything I do doesn't get saved.

Sorry I missed this original post... I would've used my catchphrase; try shutting down the console via the settings menu then restarting. This should clear the cache and should fix the problem. It's a recurring issue on Xbox and can occur after updates or crashes. 

Actually, simply shutting down the console from menu and restarting may not (and I did say "may" as in it "might or might not") reset the cache. If you need to be absolutely 100% sure you've cleared the system cache (unless an X1 update has changed something I'm unaware of) there's only one way to do it and that's manually. Here's how (if someone needs to know)...

Go to the X1 while it's ON. Doesn't matter if you're logged in or not, but I do generally shut down all games etc. Turn off the X1 by hitting the physical power button AND HOLDING IT until the power brick's light changes from WHITE to ORANGE. Once that occurs (~10-15 seconds) you can let go of the power button, and then you may POWER ON the X1 (aka reboot). Now your system cache has been definitively cleared. On the 360 you could just hit a menu option to clear the cache, but noooo Microsoft felt compelled to make us get up (yeah I know, first world gaming problems and all that lol) and go to the console, actually be able to see the power brick (which some of us may have hidden behind entertainment centers and whatnot) and watch it change colors (like seriously why Microsoft lol) :P They just couldn't leave it something simple apparently :P 

I had to do this (reset system cache on my X1) all the time back when Skyrim SSE came out. That was the first game I'd ever played on console with mods. Mods were constantly being updated, and the recommended load order was also continually being revised. Therefore crashes to Skyrim menu, full CTDs, mod conflicts, etc were all very common, and frequent clearing of system cache was not only highly recommended it was a necessity to continue playing the game with mods :P 

I hope this helps if anyone still finds their game not behaving like it should. Also, I've found it occasionally helps to force quit Astroneer (using the Xbox home menu option not the in-game option) if experiencing issues with saves (please realize you will lose all progress since last save!). Doing so has helped resolve issues I've had in, but only in the distant past I haven't had saving issues that I recall recently. I'm not sure force quitting would fix ongoing issues with saves as described here. It can be helpful if you get stuck in the game at some point from which you cannot recover. Do remember though, it's not a "cure-all" it will only take you back to the point the game last made a save, which is exactly the issue most people here are having issues with. Good luck everyone :) 

21 minutes ago, Shadow Echo said:

Actually, simply shutting down the console from menu and restarting may not (and I did say "may" as in it "might or might not") reset the cache. If you need to be absolutely 100% sure you've cleared the system cache (unless an X1 update has changed something I'm unaware of) there's only one way to do it and that's manually. Here's how (if someone needs to know)...

Go to the X1 while it's ON. Doesn't matter if you're logged in or not, but I do generally shut down all games etc. Turn off the X1 by hitting the physical power button AND HOLDING IT until the power brick's light changes from WHITE to ORANGE. Once that occurs (~10-15 seconds) you can let go of the power button, and then you may POWER ON the X1 (aka reboot). Now your system cache has been definitively cleared. On the 360 you could just hit a menu option to clear the cache, but noooo Microsoft felt compelled to make us get up (yeah I know, first world gaming problems and all that lol) and go to the console, actually be able to see the power brick (which some of us may have hidden behind entertainment centers and whatnot) and watch it change colors (like seriously why Microsoft lol) :P They just couldn't leave it something simple apparently :P 

I had to do this (reset system cache on my X1) all the time back when Skyrim SSE came out. That was the first game I'd ever played on console with mods. Mods were constantly being updated, and the recommended load order was also continually being revised. Therefore crashes to Skyrim menu, full CTDs, mod conflicts, etc were all very common, and frequent clearing of system cache was not only highly recommended it was a necessity to continue playing the game with mods :P 

I hope this helps if anyone still finds their game not behaving like it should. Also, I've found it occasionally helps to force quit Astroneer (using the Xbox home menu option not the in-game option) if experiencing issues with saves (please realize you will lose all progress since last save!). Doing so has helped resolve issues I've had in, but only in the distant past I haven't had saving issues that I recall recently. I'm not sure force quitting would fix ongoing issues with saves as described here. It can be helpful if you get stuck in the game at some point from which you cannot recover. Do remember though, it's not a "cure-all" it will only take you back to the point the game last made a save, which is exactly the issue most people here are having issues with. Good luck everyone :) 

Well, the thing is the game keeps taking me back to the progress I made a while ago (right after unlocking the rover) so I'm not terribly worried about having to get all that progress back. I've started from that point 2-3 times now gaining a lot of progress, but because it keeps not saving I get frustrated and don't feel like trying it AGAIN. If clearing the cache helps then I won't have a problem anymore so long as I can continuously save- assuming clearing the cache won't delete my saves.

24 minutes ago, Shadow Echo said:

Turn off the X1 by hitting the physical power button AND HOLDING IT until the power brick's light changes from WHITE to ORANGE. 

This is the same as selecting shut down from the power settings page. 

3 minutes ago, Blind Io said:

This is the same as selecting shut down from the power settings page. 

All I know: (1) this is what I was told by the mod "experts" (take that however you will xD) on the Bethesda site when Skyrim SSE released as the "definitive method" to clear system cache, and (2) it gets the job done without question. I did go on to say it's entirely possible things had changed. Perhaps, due to player outcry or what have you, Microsoft changed things to where a "system restart" indeed accomplishes the same thing. If a simple menu system restart always did, then why bother having these more complex instructions for holding down the power button while observing the power brick in the first place?

Either way, I have no desire to argue here. I was merely attempting to inform players who were experiencing difficulties with their game saves of an additional method they could try to potentially alleviate their issues. If it's not an "additional method" now, nor was it never, I assert it still does no harm in the end. I have no beef with you, so I ask you kindly to not take issue with me. There are many X1 players who have used this method and it does fulfill the desired goal of clearing the system cache. I didn't mean to imply a system restart was wrong, and I certainly didn't insult you're advice. I was only acting in good faith based on the information I have, and I would still recommend the method I outlined as a last resort because it is the definitive method (you see the light change on the power brick so you know beyond a doubt the process worked).

If you search for web (see a few examples below) the recommendations for clearing X1 system cache still tell players by and large to unplug the X1's power cable and wait for a time period (about the same overall as the method I mention, to accomplish the same thing). I can't speak for everyone but I'd definitely hate unplugging the power cable from the back of my Xbox (where I can't see it, and would have to blindly reconnect it again-not totally impossible mind you but not something I'd enjoy doing repeatedly either!). I do believe, based on some things I've since read, the system restart function was given the ability to clear system cache as part of an update, possibly one that was issued early on but I can't be sure. However, the advice on the web still overwhelmingly suggests unplugging the power cable as a means to reset system cache (I recommend just powering down observing the power brick's light instead but each player is free to choose their method). Happy Astroneering everyone :) 

P.S. To the person who asked...clearing system cache shouldn't delete any of your saved game data. It's supposed to "clean up" bits of unwanted data, perhaps files with errors (not completely sure about the technical details), and help with performing  some sort of "essential maintenance" on your console. Basically, it's good thing to do on a routine basis, but the frequency you clear the system cache will depend on a lot of variables (how much you play, how many modded games you play, etc).

Just some samples from top recommendations on "how to clear X1 system cache 2018"

https://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Deleting-Old-Files-from-PlayStation-4-and-Xbox-One-Consoles

https://support.frontier.co.uk/kb/faq.php?id=207

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.techjunkie.com/clear-cache-xbox-one/amp/

Interesting to note, Microsoft or Xbox support aren't often turned to for advice, at least not by my search parameters. Odd? :P 

3 minutes ago, Shadow Echo said:

I did go on to say it's entirely possible things had changed. 

I hope I didn't come across as arguing. I was responding to this concept. I prefer to keep my posts short and to the point so this may have been interpreted as trying to shut you down, apologies! I've used this method several times to solve this issue so I'm happy to recommend it. I prefer not to have to get up too. 

To reiterate, selecting 'shut down' (I've never actually used the 'restart' option!) changes the brick's light colour which is the main thing. White means it's on standby, orange means the console is off. Any tech support person wanting users to definitively cut the power will tell them to unplug but as you said its not required. It's what I'd tell someone who I didn't trust to be able to push a button!  

43 minutes ago, Blind Io said:

I hope I didn't come across as arguing. I was responding to this concept. I prefer to keep my posts short and to the point so this may have been interpreted as trying to shut you down, apologies! I've used this method several times to solve this issue so I'm happy to recommend it. I prefer not to have to get up too. 

To reiterate, selecting 'shut down' (I've never actually used the 'restart' option!) changes the brick's light colour which is the main thing. White means it's on standby, orange means the console is off. Any tech support person wanting users to definitively cut the power will tell them to unplug but as you said its not required. It's what I'd tell someone who I didn't trust to be able to push a button!  

It’s all good :) I only intended to give additional options. Indeed, sometimes I will use “shutdown/restart” myself, especially considering I have disabling chronic back pain (I’m no longer able to work, it’s why I’m able to play games so much xD it helps take my mind off pain and other medical issues I have thankfully). It’s much more convenient like you said than getting up and going over to the console, whether to unplug or simply hold the power down while waiting for the brick to power down completely. Iirc, so long as the X1 starts with the “green screen” you’re ok in terms of things resetting. People get into problems with their system cache (at least as I understand it) more from the standpoint of using the “instant on” feature I believe it’s called, although again I’m not 100% sure about that.

It wasn’t that I thought you were arguing, I just wanted to be clear I had no interest in starting any “back and forth” sort of argument about “who’s right” and “who’s wrong” (in this case, I believe there isn’t a wrong answer). There are multiple ways to accomplish the same thing, and like I said I do use the restart function for the average scenario to clear up funny behaviors with the X1. However, if I were playing a game with mods, or experiencing extremely odd behavior with my X1, I wouldn’t hesitate to get up and perform the manual shutdown simply because I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, that once I’ve dont that there’s nothing more I can do to fix the issue. I don’t think everyone needs to perform a manual shut down every time, especially if their only reason for clearing system cache is part of routine “system maintenance.”

I try to avoid arguing at all costo, abiding by a “live and let live” personal policy so long as people aren’t putting others at risk with intentional misinformation, harassing others openly (bullying), that sort of thing. Even then, arguing isn’t generally the best approach (don’t feed the trolls, etc). I don’t post to many forums (not many are interested in reading my “tomes” anyway lol) but I do read a good many. Overall I believe way too many people argue about incredibly silly, insignificant things on the internet. It’s an enormous a waste of time (I think we can both agree to that!) :) Just imagine the problems we could all solve if we applied our collective minds to something more constructive! ;) 

Alright, I did the shutoff, I'll run a quick save test to see if it helped. I'm not sure about the whole 'orange' thing as my light just turned from white to off when I did this.

Edited by Vigilance