there should be a sleep system where you start to get tired after 30 IRl minutess and every 10 min after that it gets worse. you pass out after one hour. the habata should hold 3 ppl that are able to sleep at once, and you can walk around inside. the camara will be on the wall so you can see the whole interior from one angle. feedback?

1 hour? I'm still flattening the terrain outside the base after an hour.. haven't even gotten to building anything.

10 hours.. I'm falling asleep.. all that button shoving.. yeh that's tiring.

Such things are never gonna happen and exist in almost no game for a reason.
It's obnoxious, boring, adds basically nothing to the gameplay and keeps you from playing, which is the opposite of what developers want. A few games have such mechanics, but they're single player only, thus you can have a realistic amount of rest in-game without actually waiting more than a few seconds. It will not work in games with multiplayer.

Posted (edited)
On 31/03/2018 at 4:53 AM, Wyvyrias said:

Such things are never gonna happen and exist in almost no game for a reason.
It's obnoxious, boring, adds basically nothing to the gameplay and keeps you from playing, which is the opposite of what developers want. A few games have such mechanics, but they're single player only, thus you can have a realistic amount of rest in-game without actually waiting more than a few seconds. It will not work in games with multiplayer.

meh.. actually..

Ark.. has sleep. And in mulitplayer.. if everyone is in bed.  Minecraft as well.

Blizzard used to give warnings in some games, to get you to log out and sleep.

Sony also tried something like this.

Rest and restore/regen is common in rpg games and yes usually in single player.  Not so common in other genres.

If it works right and doesn't impact other players.. it can be a cool thing.  But it can be exploited and it can be annoying.  Much like eating/drinking is in most survival.  Take Subnautica.. I'm always starving and looking for food in that game.. which is fine, plenty of fish in the sea. Pun intended.

It might be cool.. might not, if storms lasted like 30-50mins.. forcing your to "rest" your avatar/character to get some extra oxy/energy temp gain afterwards.  Might need to add a stamina drain into the games mechanics some kind of tiredness meter.. etc. Could be good, if done right.

Edited by Martin

Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2018 at 12:34 AM, Martin said:

It might be cool.. might not, if storms lasted like 30-50mins.. forcing your to "rest" your avatar/character to get some extra oxy/energy temp gain afterwards.  Might need to add a stamina drain into the games mechanics some kind of tiredness meter.. etc. Could be good, if done right.

I will only say that this is one of the worst ideas I have ever read in any forums for any game. The only thing this will force you to do is to stop playing the game...

Edited by vvhorus

Posted (edited)
On 12/04/2018 at 8:16 PM, vvhorus said:

I will only say that this is one of the worst ideas I have ever read in any forums for any game. The only thing this will force you to do is to stop playing the game...

You need to read more suggestions.

It would require change to how storms work to be sure, if you've played rokh for example, storms can be great fun if properly done, making gameplay really fun whilst not outright killing the player or with Osiris for example, where storms are kinda like background weather, where they obscure vision rather than do any damage to you. 

Lets say in Astroneer, they removed the flying boxes or severely reduced them to a few random rocks that by pure chance might hit you and do some damage, but not kill you, added in dust and dust devils which made it difficult to see, maybe are sort of slowing effect like what we see ingame now. 

So lets say storms were to become a stamina draining background experience, where you could battle your way through them, getting buffeted around.. or you could retreat indoors to the safety of a bed.. and some rest.   Maybe if you rest for 5mins and go afk your guy gets some small bonus.  Whilst doing a cool dance.. or other fidget if outside.

Just an idea, rather than just a sleep mechanic, make it into something that's part of the gameplay or which forces the play to actively take a break, without exiting the game.  Would not need to be 30-50mins.. could be 4-5 mins long enough to stop you doing whatever you were and take a break..have a coffee etc.

Edited by Martin

10 hours ago, Martin said:

You need to read more suggestions.

It would require change to how storms work to be sure, if you've played rokh for example, storms can be great fun if properly done, making gameplay really fun whilst not outright killing the player or with Osiris for example, where storms are kinda like background weather, where they obscure vision rather than do any damage to you. 

Lets say in Astroneer, they removed the flying boxes or severely reduced them to a few random rocks that by pure chance might hit you and do some damage, but not kill you, added in dust and dust devils which made it difficult to see, maybe are sort of slowing effect like what we see ingame now. 

So lets say storms were to become a stamina draining background experience, where you could battle your way through them, getting buffeted around.. or you could retreat indoors to the safety of a bed.. and some rest.   Maybe if you rest for 5mins and go afk your guy gets some small bonus.  Whilst doing a cool dance.. or other fidget if outside.

Just an idea, rather than just a sleep mechanic, make it into something that's part of the gameplay or which forces the play to actively take a break, without exiting the game.  Would not need to be 30-50mins.. could be 4-5 mins long enough to stop you doing whatever you were and take a break..have a coffee etc.

I would go the other direction. I would just remove storms altogether. They serve no real purpose in the game other than to slow you down and force you into your habitat/vehicle or underground while it passes. Heck, they don't even make the wind turbines move most of the time! If the devs got rid of the flying debris that kill you and make the wind only slow down players/vehicles and hinder visibility (totally agree with you on that), storms would be ok. But as they are, they're just an annoyance more than a feature.

I played a lot this weekend, and I found that building underground is the way to go. Did Arid on Saturday and Tundra on Sunday. One large platform D with wind turbines, solar panels and a couple of large batteries is all you need outside. No storms to worry about, plenty of resources, and the terrain is way better for rovers. You have to do a lot of digging, but the augments will make the chore go quicker. Need a coffee break? No need to enter anything, just stand close to a platform. No rolling spike balls, no flying rocks. Total tranquility...

On topic: if in the future the devs added RPG elements to the characters, like stamina, vitality, etc., with day/night cycles being longer, and would only be for single player, then maybe a sleep mechanic would be good to have...

1 hour ago, vvhorus said:

I would just remove storms altogether. They serve no real purpose in the game other than to slow you down and force you into your habitat/vehicle or underground while it passes. Heck, they don't even make the wind turbines move most of the time!

they shouldn't. real life turbines shut down in storms to prevent damage (this has been pointed out many times).

On 4/2/2018 at 12:34 AM, Martin said:

Ark.. has sleep. And in mulitplayer.. if everyone is in bed.  Minecraft as well.

minecraft doesn't require sleep, simply uses the bed mechanic to set a spawn point

On 4/16/2018 at 4:25 PM, 101101110111 said:

they shouldn't. real life turbines shut down in storms to prevent damage (this has been pointed out many times).

minecraft doesn't require sleep, simply uses the bed mechanic to set a spawn point

Depends on your point of view really.. Doesn't require sleep .. well, if you're injured in minecraft and you sleep you wake up fully healed.. I'd call that a need.  Also it makes all the nasty skeletons go away.. also a need.  And yes it sets a respawn point, if you ever actually die.  Something I'm just not very good at in games.   As for turbines.. well depends on the game, for example in Surviving Mars, turbines spin faster in storms.. so irl they might do one thing, ingame.. they do whatever the devs decide.

Ultimately it's their decision, I'm just offering other perspectives on someones idea.  And yes, I also agree, that completely removing the storm would please me no end.. but then, surely the point of having them in games.. is to annoy you.. ? mm? Time sinks etc..