Automated mining

Sidegamer

I know this is suggested a LOT, but mining is tedious and boring after one is pretty well settled

A mining rig that looks like a reverse-printer would be a very cool addition an not a super overpowered one

such a rig would require MASSIVE power (Large solar panel per tier) and work very slowly, but output soil and unfinished resources that it mined up

It would also add an interesting tier system, LVL 1 would be mining regular surface-level squares about the size of the starter habitat, Lvl 2 would excavate larger holes and go deeper, lvl 3 would require a drill head but mine really big holes and tough terrain, lvl 4 would create a 'screw' pattern that the player could walk down, etc, etc

plus, these would also require constant upkeep like new soil canisters or would periodically 'jam' forcing the player to spend some bytes to 'unjam' it, effectively keeping it an endgame technology.

Honestly with the mineral extractor the only thing you'd need to collect is soil... Having a system to grab it and bottle it automatically would be nice... Even better would be conveyors to move them to the extractors, one of 8 depending on which one has empty inventory slots etc...

The conveyor system is pending - but I like this idea... I mean, being able to print a vehicle out of thin air with 4 pieces of aluminum but not being able to auto dig an area seems odd...

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:04 AM, Acecool said:

Honestly with the mineral extractor the only thing you'd need to collect is soil... Having a system to grab it and bottle it automatically would be nice... Even better would be conveyors to move them to the extractors, one of 8 depending on which one has empty inventory slots etc...

The conveyor system is pending - but I like this idea... I mean, being able to print a vehicle out of thin air with 4 pieces of aluminum but not being able to auto dig an area seems odd...

Have you tried putting a bunch of medium storage with canisters on your rover and a trailer with a crane/drill bit? As you are "mining" the soil it automatically fills up the canisters.