Sign in to follow this  
Acecool

What happened to the colored tethers?

A while back I started a game and there were colored tethers... I typically used the brightest of them, however when traversing large caves it was nice to set up a red one at the start of a dead-end which was explored... Or use a certain color for a certain cave entrance ( it was just incredibly annoying having to pick them up and re place them in order for the colors to change ) and use that color for the entire line...

Or to have a line of tethers and then one come off and join at an angle to create an arrow pointing towards the exit for that particular line into a cave.. ( it'd be nice to have arrows showing the shortest way to an exit from a certain cave especially when there are a lot of them connected together...

_____\_______

Are you confusing beacons with tethers?  You can make and place beacons and a beacon can be blue, red, green, purple, maybe white....cannot remember all the colors. 

4 hours ago, Acecool said:

A while back I started a game and there were colored tethers... I typically used the brightest of them, however when traversing large caves it was nice to set up a red one at the start of a dead-end which was explored... Or use a certain color for a certain cave entrance ( it was just incredibly annoying having to pick them up and re place them in order for the colors to change ) and use that color for the entire line...

That was a christmas/holiday feature the devs added for fun, as an allusion to christmas lights. They are considering re-implementing it as a feature because so many people liked it.

VT_Mongo - Nope - I do use the beacons to gauge distance from my base... blue I don't use ( named 0 / blue which is home )... next color is green ( call it color 1 ) means I can see my home marker ( 0 ) from that location... next color ( 2 ) means I can see green ( 1 ) but not home ( 0 ).. next ( 3 ) means I can't see green ( 1 ) but can see the one before it ( 2 ).. etc..

So you end up with a green ring, then more of the next ( orange I think ), then likely a larger or smaller ring of the next ( equator ), until you end up at about the other pole...

The light effects were incredibly useful for exploration although it needs to be easier than the beacons to set... having to hold a button now takes way too long...

Being able to make exits with a color - or directions with a color is nice... When I had those lights I set one direction ( 4 total ) each with a unique color and made them as straight as possible... if I branched off perpendicularly I'd use the appropriate color and it then also helps you line up where you are... 

Green == North, Orange = Sound, Blue = West, Red = East - I could do this...

Basically - based on quadrant I would use different colors which would then tell me where I am relative to my base... very easy to do... Or - coming off a perpendicular I could use the other color - ie instead of Orange coming off the Red / East line, I could put 1 green, then the rest orange so I'd know Green is up / north but I'm on the sound side of the base... and east because of red....

G
             |
             G
             |
             G
             |
             G
             |
             G
             |
             G             G
             |
             G             G
             |
             G             G
B-B-B-B-B-B-BASE-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R
             O             O
             |             |
             O             O
             |             |
             O             O
             |             |
             O             O
             |             |
             O-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R
             |
             O
             |
             O
             |
             O

Posted (edited)

I can certainly see the benefits of colored tethers.  Unfortunately I have to minimize tether use on Xbox because excessive tether use results in major drops in frame rate. 

Edited by VT_Mongo